Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Yeah as another poster said, spell piercing a mana leak is obviously a legitimate play in many circumstances. The opposite is obviously never correct (unless someone is about to monstrous a Stormbreath Dragon against you or hitting you with a Sword of War and Peace I guess??).
I have mana leaked a spell pierce with that deck too, I think I worded myself poorly. The idea again was the other player not understanding its bout mana and not cards. The leak worked as a way to bait them into paying 3. When you both have 10 cards in your hand, card advantage doesn't mean anything, and if I have enough mana to cast all the counters in my hand, I am perfectly willing to throw away a mana leak to try and bait my opponent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Jabor posted:

It's about as correct as discarding two artifacts after casting Thirst for Knowledge. The end result being that you've spent the same amount of mana, but have moved one additional card from your hand to your graveyard.

Like people said, it's niche, but I can see why it can be correct sometimes. Other situations:
-Young Pyromancer, Jeskai Ascendancy, or generally anything that triggers on casting spells
-Extra Delve/Goyf/Deathrite stuff
-You're going to cast Praetor's Counsel or Time Spiral or something similar
-Isochron Scepter

Still, it is very often not the right play. Wadjamaloo probably knows more about the specific one in question though.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Babylon Astronaut posted:

a TCG isn't a very good story telling medium.
Tell that to L5R. :v:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Babylon Astronaut posted:

That's all well and good, and I'm sure the story is part of the appeal for a bunch of people, probably the kids more so than the adults which is cool, but the quote is insane.

It enforces the belief that Hasbro has no idea what they have in WotC.

Sure they do. They've got a marketable IP that they wholly own. Sure, their subsidiary happens to run a card game attached to it, and a popular one at that, but that isn't something that Hasbro itself needs to be concerned with, because WotC manages that perfectly fine on their own. No, Hasbro does things like spin off a board game, or haggle with Hollywood to get a movie made, because that's closer to their expertise. I mean, really, besides throwing money at making MTGO better, there isn't a lot they can do to expand or influence the card game itself. So to them, the area they *can* spread further (story and setting) is what they primarily care about, and they'll let the money machine that is the game just keep chugging along.

Carrasco posted:

This is not a good example for your point, though, since it very deliberately was not shown on the cards. (Elspeth killing Xenagos was, but not Heliod killing Elspeth.)

That's true, but more people still know about that than, say, Venser's death. They're clearly getting better at getting that knowledge out there.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Yawgmoth posted:

Tell that to L5R. :v:

I haven't played L5R since the days of the corruption of the Lion clan (cause a Lion clan won a huge tourney with some Oni cards) ... and it is still awesome to think of how they play out the storylines. Not just that they let whomever wins dictate the story with the winning clan, but HOW they win.

I don't know if MTG should do it, but it's fun when a game does.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

En Fuego posted:

I haven't played L5R since the days of the corruption of the Lion clan (cause a Lion clan won a huge tourney with some Oni cards) ... and it is still awesome to think of how they play out the storylines. Not just that they let whomever wins dictate the story with the winning clan, but HOW they win.

It's certainly a cute idea, but from a narrative perspective it is absolute dreck. I've never played the CCG but I like the RPG, and making any sense of the setting is right on par with hitting myself in the head with a ball peen hammer for an hour. It seems like every tournament turns someone into a secret Tainted rear end in a top hat, someone else gets redeemed/promoted out of nowhere, and any number of other clans lose their poo poo. And while sure, that sort of thing can, does, and should happen in a story, when it happens multiple times in every arc it really loses any sort of weight.

I do like how the one minor clan (monkey?) started because everyone ran this really cheap peasant, though. I just wish that if they're gonna do that kind of thing, instead of letting tournament winners dictate the story, they would instead just write the drat things themselves and use tournament deck lists/results be a rough guide.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

They changed it around Celestial/Emperor that the winner gets to choose a personality or a clan to discover/win/ etc *story thing* and the deck choice didn't really matter.

They say they're changing back to old style but we'll see how that goes.

EDIT: The mostly changed to prevent weird story poo poo that became increasingly difficult to actually write stories about

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

En Fuego posted:

It would be really funny/stupid it MtG did this. Jace leading a group of hawks with swords in their beaks?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Silver2195 posted:

It would be really funny/stupid it MtG did this. Jace leading a group of hawks with swords in their beaks?

Wow way to forget about a kor artificer.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Silver2195 posted:

Jeskai going on multiple Sultai treasure cruises to dig up retraction helixes and somehow make friends with Temur mystics.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Silver2195 posted:

You can't just call good ideas stupid like that.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Yawgmoth posted:

Jeskai going on multiple Sultai treasure cruises to dig up retraction helixes and somehow make friends with Temur mystics.

Good thing this wouldn't happen with eternal formats, can you imagine what weird contortions the story would have to undertake to explain a match between Stax and Dredge?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I'm still sad that there weren't good enough Minotaurs or equipment in Theros block for there to be a "Cow Blade" deck.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Madmarker posted:

Good thing this wouldn't happen with eternal formats, can you imagine what weird contortions the story would have to undertake to explain a match between Stax and Dredge?

Stax is literally an allegory on industrial waste, I don't think that's much of a stretch in any narrative.

Dredge isn't that weird either except the jellyfish.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Zoness posted:

Stax is literally an allegory on industrial waste, I don't think that's much of a stretch in any narrative.

Given the metaphors presented by the library, graveyard, and milling, Dredge is a wizard aggressively forgetting everything he knows, then selectively remembering a few things to cause a zombie horde to emerge from nowhere.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Zoness posted:

Its a deck that forgets spells so hard they come alive as jellyfish, that die and turn into Zombies, that then die to make an elemental that makes all the zombies faster and bigger and then crush their opposition.

No, no weird story telling there.

......However I'll agree with you on stax.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
They already made a set based on (D&D) play sessions, it's called Legends.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Dredge you can just paint as the most bizarre necromancer ever.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Given the metaphors presented by the library, graveyard, and milling, Dredge is a wizard aggressively forgetting everything he knows, then selectively remembering a few things to cause a zombie horde to emerge from nowhere.

In the same way, Storm is a wizard basically thinking really hard, doing some rituals, and then somehow pelting you with shot or unleashing an arbitrary large number of goblins from... somewhere.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
Dredge is an insane wizard going more and more crazy and nightmares flood out of his brain and drag his opponent to their doom! :spooky:

Storm is a wizard getting more and more fired up and excited before blasting you apart. It's basically Goku charging up the spirit bomb.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Snacksmaniac posted:

Dredge you can just paint as the most bizarre necromancer ever.

I just had an image of some 6 year old just sputtering out all the cool things he can think of

"So like, there's a troll but he's a zombie, no wait, theres a jelly fish and then there's a Zombie troll, and then they all die and ZOMBIES."

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

CellBlock posted:

In the same way, Storm is a wizard basically thinking really hard, doing some rituals, and then somehow pelting you with shot or unleashing an arbitrary large number of goblins from... somewhere.

Man don't forget about the plan of demanding that you remain silent, playing out some jewelry, talking to an instructive demonic figure, and then shoving your face full of tentacles.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

What about Breakfast Burrito? A bunch of random stuff appears and implodes, then a shifty dude pops in, who does a thing? I'm stumped.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Thanks to Innistrad telling us that the sun sets after a turn in which no one casts a spell, and the sun rises after a turn in which a player casts two spells, we can actually measure the in-game time of a Magic game in days.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Isn't that when a full moon happens? Or do Innistrad werewolves change every night?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Eggs is literally just a wizard throwing the biggest Easter temper tantrum ever.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

odiv posted:

Isn't that when a full moon happens? Or do Innistrad werewolves change every night?

Every night.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Eggs is a Wizard doing an elaborate cups-and-balls routine and you're so enthralled you don't notice he's poking you in the eye every time until eventually you die.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

Serperoth posted:

What about Breakfast Burrito? A bunch of random stuff appears and implodes, then a shifty dude pops in, who does a thing? I'm stumped.

A wizard summons a dude out of nowhere, who then hits that wizard in the head and a giant monster falls out of the wizard's ear.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

Pucachat:

BXCX posted:

If you click the "Send Cards" button on the top right it takes you to the page where available trades are listed...

It will only show you people with the combination of wanting the card and having the points available to receive the card....

So I kinda noticed this conversation a couple weeks ago, and someone else posted about it the other day, and I signed up for this site and started posting the wishlist for the deck I'm building, and before I even finished entering the cards I already had trades for pretty much all the free points I got during signup executing...

Which is fine, but....how is this site NOT a Ponzi scam? Seriously, 100% of the points available for trading were generated either through the new account freebie handout or by paying money to the site operators, so at any point (once the cash inflow slows down), they can cut it all off and walk away with whatever they've pocketed, leaving everyone who's built up a good point balance (either by pumping in cash or by mailing value to someone who has) completely out in the cold with no recourse, as specifically noted in their Terms of Service:

quote:

4. PucaTrade Points

There are ways in which you can to contribute to the PucaTrade community (for example, by trading cards or contributing financially) which may allow you to obtain status indicator points that may then be used on the Service (“PucaTrade Points”). You understand and agree that regardless of terminology used, PucaTrade Points represent a limited license right governed solely by the terms of this Agreement and available for distribution at PucaTrade’s sole discretion. PucaTrade Points are not redeemable for any sum of money or monetary value from PucaTrade at any time. You acknowledge that you do not own the account you use to access the Service, nor do you possess any rights of access or rights to data stored by or on behalf of PucaTrade on PucaTrade servers, including without limitation any data representing or embodying any or all of your PucaTrade Points. You agree that PucaTrade has the absolute right to manage, regulate, control, modify and/or eliminate PucaTrade Points as it sees fit in its sole discretion, in any general or specific case, and that PucaTrade will have no liability to you based on its exercise of such right. All data on PucaTrade’s servers are subject to deletion, alteration or transfer. NOTWITHSTANDING ANY VALUE ATTRIBUTED TO SUCH DATA BY YOU OR ANY THIRD PARTY, YOU UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT ANY DATA, ACCOUNT HISTORY AND ACCOUNT CONTENT RESIDING ON PUCATRADE’S SERVERS, MAY BE DELETED, ALTERED, MOVED OR TRANSFERRED AT ANY TIME FOR ANY REASON IN PUCATRADE’S SOLE DISCRETION, WITH OR WITHOUT NOTICE AND WITH NO LIABILITY OF ANY KIND. PUCATRADE DOES NOT PROVIDE OR GUARANTEE, AND EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS, ANY VALUE, CASH OR OTHERWISE, ATTRIBUTED TO ANY DATA RESIDING ON PUCATRADE’S SERVERS.

Am I missing something or is this a genuine concern?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Zoness posted:

Dredge is an allegory for the danger of misuse of knowledge IMO. That the accumulation of so much powerful knowledge over time that scribbled along the footnotes and appendixes of tomes combined in unethical ways would unleash horrors unimagined.

Pretty sure that the only way TO make sense of legacy and vintage decks is allegory and not literal in-game wizardry. Miracles is the best one though: through patience and careful planning, great things come. :3: or death and taxes: heroes are remembered by their deeds, even the humble nurturing mother.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

St0rmD posted:

they can cut it all off and walk away with whatever they've pocketed, leaving everyone ... completely out in the cold with no recourse
This is every business. Seriously, every single business that does business online and/or through the mail. Your recourse is to report them to the feds for mail/wire fraud, also just like every other business.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I used a site like Pucatrade before for video games. They seeded you points as a new member and I might have gotten extra from some event. I just took the points and got a couple $15-20 games and left. Don't know how these things keep themselves running when anyone can just do that.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Chill la Chill posted:

I used a site like Pucatrade before for video games. They seeded you points as a new member and I might have gotten extra from some event. I just took the points and got a couple $15-20 games and left. Don't know how these things keep themselves running when anyone can just do that.

I imagine they get enough returning members that want to regularly use their service that they can afford costs like that, realistically people 'leeching' for $20 is a minor transaction compared to their business costs that if their model is solid and have enough revenue off frequent users they can easily stay afloat.

As it is there's a lot of margin to be made with their model since you're looking at an alternative to buylisting which everyone knows is a massive marginal loss.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Yawgmoth posted:

This is every business. Seriously, every single business that does business online and/or through the mail. Your recourse is to report them to the feds for mail/wire fraud, also just like every other business.

Yeah, it's the same as Lowtax pulling the plug on the forum to steal our :10bux: forever or scg deciding that they don't feel like mailing out cards people paid for anymore. There's not much for the owners to gain by suddenly shutting it all down and there's a big enough community within pucatrade that somebody would probably take over if the current team decides they don't want to deal with it anymore. It is possible that at some point down the road traders will be left holding the bag if people stop trading magic cards or the site goes under, but magic is in a good place right now and the site keeps adding new features which suggests they're getting enough money to pay people to improve the site. There also isn't the Ponzi/pyramid scheme part where points are constantly being funneled to the people at the top, I've traded with almost everyone on the administrative team and they send and receive the same dumb cards as anyone else. That being said, If you're worried about the whole thing falling apart you can either not do it at all or just keep your point balance low by putting every conceivable card you could ever want on your list and you'll get stuff sent to you immediately after you get credits for the cards you sent. It is pretty sweet to save up for a big card and have one sent out to you, I've got a Judge foil Sword of Light and Shadow on it's way to me as of this morning :smaug:

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Chill la Chill posted:

I lost a bunch of points to a site like that and had forgotten. Thanks!

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Silver2195 posted:

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Chill la Chill posted:

Depending on your circumstances, it might be cheaper and easier to buy points on the site and wait for cards to start arriving, than buying from your local LGS or ordering online. Especially internationally; the list of users I can send cards to is probably 70% Italian.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Puca Trade is weird to me because there is already a thing which I can exchange for cards I have and use to get other cards I want and its called money. The minor advantages Puca Trade offer don't seem worth it when I remember that at no point could I take my Puca Points and buy a phone or pay for a movie like I've done so many types with my stupid dork cardboard fund. Also lmao if you think the police would give two shits about your missing Puca Points if the operators ever just cut and run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

The LGS here wants $42 for Stormbreath Dragon and I've tried twice and failed to get people in the selling/trading thread to send cards to Canada (with good reason, shipping across borders can be $$$). If PucaTrade has an established userbase and makes it easier for me to get cards in the frozen wasteland where I reside I might just try it out. Or I guess I could just try eBay or maybe hunt for a Canadian centric site.

• Locked thread