Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Pedro De Heredia posted:

I would be surprised if Daenerys both meets Tyrion this season AND flies away in a dragon.

But they're obviously filming Daznak now. They're doing this part, but not its climax? That seems very unlikely to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

BillBear posted:

I loved how the book hypes up that lady warrior who ends up getting owned hard by the boar.

She was a secret Baratheon bastard.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

I'd be surprised is she flies away on a Dragon at all. They have three seasons left, they aren't going to piss it away on a diversion that will most likely end up with her back where she started.

I mean, I guess so. But Drogon is already missing. Why would he be missing if he isn't going to re-appear in a dramatic fashion? If you're saying that he does re-appear but she doesn't fly off on him that could work.

But if Dany doesn't fly off on Drogon then whatever storyline she has cooked up in TWoW is going to be completely different then what's in the show. The same with the battle of Meereen. The battle of Meereen doesn't really work if Dany is still there. If they also skip the battle of Meereen, don't have Aegon/Jon Connington, don't have the Greyjoy brothers, don't have Lady Stoneheart, then TWoW will end up being a completely different story than what the show has cooked up aside from the stuff in the north which will probably be similar.

This is potentially a good thing because then in December of 2017 when TWoW is released I won't be spoiled I suppose.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.
So Tyrion is going to get arrested for the attempted poisoning of Daenerys then, yeah? Motive, opportunity, history.

Keeps with tyrion's theme of perpetualy being on trial for murder. Who will his hail Mary trial by combat champion be this time?

3:1 on dario. 5:1 Jorah. 10:1 barristan. 15:1 the hound shows up out of nowhere to save tyrion.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
It took me an embarrassingly long time to work out what that "A Fence For Crons" picture was about.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

COOKIEMONSTER posted:

So Tyrion is going to get arrested for the attempted poisoning of Daenerys then, yeah? Motive, opportunity, history.

Keeps with tyrion's theme of perpetualy being on trial for murder. Who will his hail Mary trial by combat champion be this time?

3:1 on dario. 5:1 Jorah. 10:1 barristan. 15:1 the hound shows up out of nowhere to save tyrion.

I don't think so. I actually think it'll still be Hizdahr who gets blamed, mostly because without the "sons of the harpy" storyline there's literally no conflict for Daenerys in Meereen. Also, there were a few scenes last season that were all like "well yeah they were slavers but you don't gotta be a dick about it", which has to come back in the form of some of Dany's dudes gettin' iced.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Mischitary posted:

I don't think so. I actually think it'll still be Hizdahr who gets blamed, mostly because without the "sons of the harpy" storyline there's literally no conflict for Daenerys in Meereen. Also, there were a few scenes last season that were all like "well yeah they were slavers but you don't gotta be a dick about it", which has to come back in the form of some of Dany's dudes gettin' iced.

I hope we get Tyrion as Hizdahr's last ditch attorney in the courts of Meereen.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I'm starting to come around on all these big changes. The book characters and TV characters are so different now that I wouldn't mind at all if the TV show ends with Tyrion and Arya high-fiving atop a pile of their dead enemies while the books end with Jon Snow and Dany grimly entering a marriage of convenience to establish a new Targ dynasty.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Mischitary posted:

I don't think so. I actually think it'll still be Hizdahr who gets blamed, mostly because without the "sons of the harpy" storyline there's literally no conflict for Daenerys in Meereen.

WHERE ARE MY HARPIES

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp
I kinda like the OP's idea that Trystane Martell might just take Quentyn spot for season 6. The actor is pretty dreamy in a great teenybopper way and it will be great to have him around for a whole season to get to know him a bit and for all the girls to swoon, before he dies a horribly painful death. The fewer characters there are the better and it's not like Trystane ever does anything important in the books. They just need a reason why he would give up on the plot to marry Mycella and go after Dany instead. Maybe Mycella is too ugly from getting face chopped?

Also I kinda like how he is really young looking, but not too young. Like his marriage to Mycella is believable and not super creepy, and yet you could also see him trying to marry Dany. He's got a good tweener look to him. He's just young enough that you could totally have Dany reject him for being too young, something that will work well with him trying to prove himself a big man by taming a dragon.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

Mischitary posted:

I mean, I guess so. But Drogon is already missing. Why would he be missing if he isn't going to re-appear in a dramatic fashion? If you're saying that he does re-appear but she doesn't fly off on him that could work.

But if Dany doesn't fly off on Drogon then whatever storyline she has cooked up in TWoW is going to be completely different then what's in the show. The same with the battle of Meereen. The battle of Meereen doesn't really work if Dany is still there. If they also skip the battle of Meereen, don't have Aegon/Jon Connington, don't have the Greyjoy brothers, don't have Lady Stoneheart, then TWoW will end up being a completely different story than what the show has cooked up aside from the stuff in the north which will probably be similar.

This is potentially a good thing because then in December of 2017 when TWoW is released I won't be spoiled I suppose.

Here's my guess for how the show will go, based on their tendency to combine characters and simplify things while keeping the big scenes in.

Tyrion's going to get captured by Jorah and delivered to Dany. Dany is still pissed at Jorah and gives him a "get out before I have you killed" type warning. Tyrion convinces her he's safe to be around, perhaps by her getting confirmation that he's been working against his family and the Iron Throne. They will work in a battle where Barristan dies, and Dany will be convinced to keep Tyrion as a Queen's Hand. Dany will be convinced to re-open the fighting pits, perhaps convinced by Tyrion. At the grand re-opening, they will see that someone captured Jorah and is having him fight a hopeless fight in the pits in the hopes of winning Dany's favor. Dany doesn't like it but hubby convinces her that it would be a show of weakness to save a known traitor in front of so many. She agrees and Tyrion is disgusted with them and attempts to stop the fight. Dany has second thoughts seeing Tyrion's example and goes to help, and during the chaos Drogon shows up and Dany rides away on her. The scenes in Mereen after she leaves will be centered on Tyrion, who is getting some of the blame for Dany's disappearance.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Mischitary posted:

I don't think so. I actually think it'll still be Hizdahr who gets blamed, mostly because without the "sons of the harpy" storyline there's literally no conflict for Daenerys in Meereen.

I remember hearing rumors they WERE doing the sons of the harpy, though.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
They are apparently casting Stalwart Shield, so the Sons of the Harpy are in.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Still think Grey Worm's getting Harpy'd. Doesn't sound like there's any sightings of him during the Daznak filming.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

I actually like this theory:

quote:

For a long while I thought we'd see a truncated version of Queenmaker utilizing Trystane and Myrcella as rebellious lovers who want to run away, ending in disaster with Trystane fulfilling Quentyn's voyage in the latter half of the season. But the more I think about Quentyn's story in the books, really the only key thing he does is releasing Rhaegal and Viserion, which can be handled pretty much however the showrunners want.
Aegon, on the other hand, has many of us baffled and rightly so. They can't cut him, right? If he's going to do anything important at all, I just don't see how you merge the son of Rhaegar and Elia with someone else like you can do with so many other characters (yes, even UnCat.)
But then it hit me. Trystane doesn't need to become Quentyn - he needs to be Aegon.
The show effectively communicated to non-readers the deaths of "the children" in Season 4 through Oberyn. It will be very easy while in Dorne to focus on the Martell family, Elia's death, and the children that were slain.
And that's how they'll do it. Doran's wife left him because she didn't like Westeros in the books, and the show can simply bring up a small point about how people can't believe she left Doran alone with their newborn child. But Trystane wasn't their child, it was Aegon smuggled away from King's Landing. And if not across the Narrow Sea like in the books, why not let him be fostered by his uncle? The show would have a much less "where did he come from?" feel if we just find out Elia's son was kept safe by his own family.
So, the show Dorne plot becomes Kingmaker and Queenmaker, with Myrcella and Aegon. Doran doesn't try to support Dany or marry a son to him because he has a Targaryen already, and we move several key plot pieces into position while eliminating tons of side-plots and characters. It just feels like what the show might do.
Obviously this prediction depends somewhat on Aegon being real, which I'm not convinced of yet. And I don't think the Martells are Blackfyre supporters. But if he is fake, maybe the show later proposes that Varys/Illyrio convinced Doran it was the real Aegon too? That would be an effective late series plot to show Varys' games.

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
Why is every one so convinced that Barristan is going to die? I mean, I'm finishing up my second run-through and it's not clear at all that Selmy is going to kick it before "his knights" are ready, if then. Personally I think selmy has much and more to atone to before he gets let off so easily, especially considering "the queensgaurd" chapter.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Food Boner posted:

Why is every one so convinced that Barristan is going to die? I mean, I'm finishing up my second run-through and it's not clear at all that Selmy is going to kick it before "his knights" are ready, if then. Personally I think selmy has much and more to atone to before he gets let off so easily, especially considering "the queensgaurd" chapter.

Would you say his chances of dying are little and less?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

bowser posted:

I really like that, but it makes Oberyn look like even more of a rube.

I also just realised the tragedy of Oberyn going to such lengths to avenge his still living nephew. He'd have done it just for Ellia, but it's still a downer.

Again, assuming Aegon is real. Which he isn't. I quite like how it gives two competing character arcs for Oberyn, and we can't know for sure which is true.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Ciprian Maricon posted:

or really stupid and obnoxious stuff like Dick Leeches and the Fookin Gin Alley Legend.

Burn Gorman was the best actor in the entire last season, they should bring him back

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
The Gin Alley Legend was good but everything with Yarasha for the last two loving years has been terrible.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I think you meant the 'fookin legend there.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Mortabis posted:

The Gin Alley Legend was good but everything with Yarasha for the last two loving years has been terrible.

I said it when it happened and I stand by it: the skull-licking scene was awesome and Burn Gorman can chew scenery with the best of them, but the dagger-vs-bastard-sword fight was lame and badly choreographed.

radlum
May 13, 2013

bowser posted:

If this is the reason Jon Connington, Arianne, Aegon and Quentyn were cut, it would be a pretty good reason. They could still play out the whole "let's make Myrcella queen!" and then end with Doran revealing to whomever does the plot (the Sand Snakes maybe?) that it was pointless, since Trystane has been a Targaryen all along (instead of revealing that Quentyn is gonna marry Dany and then Quentyn ends up being barbecued).

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp
If the only effect of mutilating Myrcella in the book ends up just pissing off the Lanisters, why not just kill Myrcella off entirely? Then once the Dornish queen crowning plot becomes impossible, they could just switch to the "send Quentystane to marry Danny" strategy instead.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
Myrcella dying would drive Dorne into open war while getting horrible wounded just gets Ceresi pissed.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Cool, guess I gotta do something while I'm waiting for the next book to never come out. I've heard the stories are actually pretty good?

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007
Trystane being Aegon would be a great way to make sure the Aegon stuff that's bound to be in TWoW will be in the show in some fashion, but if it does turn out to be true I think it would've worked better if Arianne was also in the show because if Trystane truly isn't Doran's heir then what the gently caress was Doran doing? What kind of prince doesn't produce in heir? It's like, one of their most important jobs.

Hakkesshu posted:

Burn Gorman was the best actor in the entire last season, they should bring him back

I thought he was good too but the stuff with Jon going up to Craster's Keep was such bad filler that even people who never read the books knew something was up.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mischitary posted:

Trystane being Aegon would be a great way to make sure the Aegon stuff that's bound to be in TWoW will be in the show in some fashion, but if it does turn out to be true I think it would've worked better if Arianne was also in the show because if Trystane truly isn't Doran's heir then what the gently caress was Doran doing? What kind of prince doesn't produce in heir? It's like, one of their most important jobs.

Some/all of the Sand Snakes could be legitimate heirs of Oberyn and it turns out Doran is infertile.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
This is veering way into fanfic territory, but what if that Trystane-is-Aegon theory is half right? In that, rather than him being *actually* Aegon, Trystane instead takes on Aegon's role of interim conqueror*? That way they can take Arianne's plot to crown Myrcella and give it to Trystane instead.

He's a young, rash boy - why not try and avenge his uncle and cousins by crowning his girlfriend as Queen? She's the rightful heir to the Kingdom anyway, according to the law he's lived his entire life under. And if Jaime shows up and does some ham-fisted (:v:) diplomacy, that could antagonise the Martells even further.

Throw in the fact that we're apparently getting only the fighting Sand Snakes, they could potentially spearhead an undercover mission to crown Myrcella.

*Note that this is all based off my theory that in book 6 Aegon will conquer King's Landing and probably murder Tommen/exile Cersei, but won't be on the Throne for long.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Wilko Johnson beat motherfuckin' TERMINAL cancer.

Fingers crossed he'll be back for season 6. He's still on a certain somebody's list. :pray:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Ballz posted:

Wilko Johnson beat motherfuckin' TERMINAL cancer.

Fingers crossed he'll be back for season 6. He's still on a certain somebody's list. :pray:

They should write in a minor character that Cersei has executed just to give him some screen time.

Bad rear end. gently caress you cancer.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

COOKIEMONSTER posted:

What were all the times Tyrion's been accused anyway? I can think of just two off the top of my head.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Frostwerks posted:

What were all the times Tyrion's been accused anyway? I can think of just two off the top of my head.

Catelyn accused him of attempting to murder Bran and took him to the Eyrie.

Then Lysa decided to double down on her Lannister lie and accused him of murdering Jon Arryn.

Then Cersei accused him of poisoning Joffrey.

Finally, correctly, Cersei and others accused him of murdering Tywin and Shae.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

mllaneza posted:

They should write in a minor character that Cersei has executed just to give him some screen time.

gently caress that, I want Jaime confessing Payne and his clacking laughter in response.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

geeves posted:

Catelyn accused him of attempting to murder Bran and took him to the Eyrie.

Then Lysa decided to double down on her Lannister lie and accused him of murdering Jon Arryn.

Then Cersei accused him of poisoning Joffrey.

Finally, correctly, Cersei and others accused him of murdering Tywin and Shae.

Also Penny blaming him for her brother's demise, also Tywin & Ceresi saying he killed his mother. Dude can't catch a break.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

bowser posted:

Eh, I think that's too much. For one thing, Toby Sebastian looks like a twinky teen. If Trystane were Aegon, he should look around the same age as Dany.

webmeister posted:

This is veering way into fanfic territory, but what if that Trystane-is-Aegon theory is half right? In that, rather than him being *actually* Aegon, Trystane instead takes on Aegon's role of interim conqueror*? That way they can take Arianne's plot to crown Myrcella and give it to Trystane instead.
I think we agreed they are doing the Queenmaker anyway? Only maybe with Myrcella dying and Trystane mutating into Quentyn afterwards instead.

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012
Confirmed that there will be no Iron Islands plot this season:
http://watchersonthewall.com/iron-islands-plot-omitted-game-thrones-season-5/

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

News that should surprise no one.

It's possible they're doing their own mini AFFC/ADWD-style split by doing Dorne shenanigans this season and Iron Islands next season, but I think more likely they're just completely dumping that poo poo entirely.

Edit:

We still might get a smidgen of something, maybe a scene or two with Yara and Balon like they've been doing the past couple of seasons.

James Hibbard posted:

Fair question. I asked the producers last season if they were doing Dorne and Iron Islands in season 5. They said they were doing one of them. Later they announced they were doing Dorne. Those tracking the castings have already pieced this together as they would have needed to cast a few more roles if they wanted to delve into that world, like they did with Dorne. From a storytelling standpoint it makes sense — Martin had to split the characters into two books to fit in the Dorne and Iron Islands subplots, but a TV show has to use or lose its actors (benching Bran is hard enough!). I’m not saying S5 won’t have any Iron Islands scenes, only that my understand is the big book 4 subplot isn’t a part of S5.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Euron's waaay too important to cut and is late game by the looks of it. If they cast Mads Mikkelsen for him I would probably poo poo myself.

BillBear fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Oct 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

BillBear posted:

If they cast Mads Mikkelsen for him I would probably poo poo myself.
So many yes.

• Locked thread