Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
So I get that Apple Pay will require my fingerprint at the register, but I figured it would be like 1 password and mint where I can require it to ask for my password everytime. Am I missing that somewhere? I just prefer that extra step so no one just pick up my phone and see my transactions.

This will be probably my third or fourth time trying mobile payments. Every time so far it works ok, and then I get that transaction where the machine doesn't grab it right, and the cashier never knows what to do because it isn't a magnetic strip credit card. Maybe this time it'll be better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

How big of a security risk is this SMS forwarding feature?

I really like the idea but it just occurred to me that many banks and companies use SMS as a 2nd factor for authentification (OTP, mobileTAN, whatever it is called). A potential worm/virus could abuse that SMS forwarding feature, no? Is there maybe a blacklist feature so messages from certain contacts won't be forwarded? :tinfoil:

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

A list of stores that won't support Apple Pay, waiting for MCX to release a smartphone app instead: http://www.techtimes.com/articles/15496/20140912/why-some-top-brand-retailers-not-on-board-with-apple-pay.htm

Bed Bath & Beyond, Best Buy, Circle K, Conoco, CVS, Dick's Sporting Goods, Dillard's, Fresh Market, Gap, Hobby Lobby, Kmart, Kohl's, Lowe's, Michael's, Old Navy, Publix, QuikTrip, Rite Aid, Sam's Club, Sears, Shell, ShopRite, 7-Eleven, Southwest Airlines, Target, and Wal-Mart, Wawa and Wendy's

I used ApplePay at CVS this morning so I dunno about this list being accurate.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

kitten smoothie posted:

Otherwise this is a list of stores that will in 12-18 months time cave and install NFC hardware at registers (or more likely, turn on the NFC feature already built into the new EMV-compatible terminals they'll be buying anyway). Or stores that won't exist in 12-18 months (Sears).

And also Walmart.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

If those stores have terminals with EMV tokenization and NFC enabled, they probably support Apple Pay whether they like it or not. It's not like it uses anything other than widely-accepted standards.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Come on credit unions, get with the times.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Look at you plebeians using credit card companies with moral standards. Look where that gets you.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Josh Lyman posted:

A list of stores that won't support Apple Pay, waiting for MCX to release a smartphone app instead: http://www.techtimes.com/articles/15496/20140912/why-some-top-brand-retailers-not-on-board-with-apple-pay.htm

Bed Bath & Beyond, Best Buy, Circle K, Conoco, CVS, Dick's Sporting Goods, Dillard's, Fresh Market, Gap, Hobby Lobby, Kmart, Kohl's, Lowe's, Michael's, Old Navy, Publix, QuikTrip, Rite Aid, Sam's Club, Sears, Shell, ShopRite, 7-Eleven, Southwest Airlines, Target, and Wal-Mart, Wawa and Wendy's

I used google wallet/NFC a lot back in the day, and I know cvs and 7/11 had NFC terminals everywhere.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'd like to have a device I can keep tethered to my 8gig iphone 4. That way I can have all the fun stuff on that device while still having core apps and music on the phone. Would I be able to do that with a used iphone or ipod?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

RandomPauI posted:

I'd like to have a device I can keep tethered to my 8gig iphone 4. That way I can have all the fun stuff on that device while still having core apps and music on the phone. Would I be able to do that with a used iphone or ipod?

They do make a device for this purpose, it's called an iPhone with more space.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Without getting into details I don't think I can get a new, bigger one with a budget of $200.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I think having an always-on personal hotspot would be a huge battery drain. Other than that, I guess I don't see a reason why you couldn't do that with an iPod Touch tethered to your iPhone.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I should probably bite the bullet and get a new phone. I'm not sure what the problem is with this one but it's like whenever I add or remove an app I lose half a gig of space which isn't recoverable by Kruptos so I wind up having to do a resync, keeping my fingers crossed that the music'll copy over properly.

Edit: This is really frustrating. I just deleted two apps and an album and my available space went from 200 mg to 4 mg.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Oct 21, 2014

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Are we measuring space the same way we measure cocaine

Anyway, the iPhone 4 is old enough to have abysmal retail value and you could probably get an iPhone 5 for cheap as dicks or just a 5C for free with a contract extension.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

eames posted:

How big of a security risk is this SMS forwarding feature?

I really like the idea but it just occurred to me that many banks and companies use SMS as a 2nd factor for authentification (OTP, mobileTAN, whatever it is called). A potential worm/virus could abuse that SMS forwarding feature, no? Is there maybe a blacklist feature so messages from certain contacts won't be forwarded? :tinfoil:

I'd guess it's exactly as secure as iMessage, so...

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Huh. Does getting SMS through your Mac delay seeing them on your phone? I just had a multi message conversation with someone and I kept getting alerted on my MBP, but not my iPhone (which was fine, because I was replying via my Mac) but I ignored the last message when it came through and my phone didn't alert me about it until ~10 seconds after my mac did.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

RandomPauI posted:

I should probably bite the bullet and get a new phone. I'm not sure what the problem is with this one but it's like whenever I add or remove an app I lose half a gig of space which isn't recoverable by Kruptos so I wind up having to do a resync, keeping my fingers crossed that the music'll copy over properly.

Edit: This is really frustrating. I just deleted two apps and an album and my available space went from 200 mg to 4 mg.

What phone carrier do you have and what is the condition of your iPhone?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

lelandjs posted:

Huh. Does getting SMS through your Mac delay seeing them on your phone? I just had a multi message conversation with someone and I kept getting alerted on my MBP, but not my iPhone (which was fine, because I was replying via my Mac) but I ignored the last message when it came through and my phone didn't alert me about it until ~10 seconds after my mac did.

If it's anything like how imessage works on both, it seems to send them quietly to your phone if you're actively using message (or have been in the past few minutes). If it sends it your computer and you don't respond/look at it, then after a couple minutes you get an alert on your phone. It's a pretty sophisticated system to avoid getting multiple alerts at the same time on all your devices.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
AT&T, and it's been in an otter case for virtually all of its one-year-old life. It was new and free so I didn't complain at the time.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
For once I'm not a cautionary tale - I tried updating my phone through iTunes and it didn't take, forced me to do a factory reset...ten minutes after I'd decided "what the hell," and manually backed everything up. I hate that it happened, but at least they make the process pretty easy.

And speaking of easy, holy poo poo has Apple figured out how to migrate you to a new phone. Went from a 4s to the 6, and I expected my apps to carry over, sure, but I didn't expect their settings to show up. Every setting. When I opened Safari, it had my old tabs saved. When I opened Gmail, it showed me the last email I'd been looking at. That's thorough to the point of being anal retentive.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

Yeah, I'm confused by this too. Several people have reported Apple Pay working on "all" NFC enabled payment devices, so I'm not sure what "Apple Pay Certified" even means?

...and I don't understand the stores that will support it "soon" ? If they support NFC payments, then they support Apple Pay.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

RandomPauI posted:

Without getting into details I don't think I can get a new, bigger one with a budget of $200.

I don't really understand. You've been living with it for a year or something now. What new thing are you trying to do that's frustrating you so much?

If your budget is $200 then I think the best course of action is to wait another 1-3 months until you've saved enough to buy a phone that won't be crippled and frustrate you in new ways.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Vinlaen posted:

Yeah, I'm confused by this too. Several people have reported Apple Pay working on "all" NFC enabled payment devices, so I'm not sure what "Apple Pay Certified" even means?

...and I don't understand the stores that will support it "soon" ? If they support NFC payments, then they support Apple Pay.

It probably means Apple gives them a sticker for their front door.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Vinlaen posted:

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

It probably means Apple gives them a sticker for their front door.

This and gave Apple something to talk about during their keynote to set them apart from all the other entrants into mobile payments that tried and failed.

As evidenced by ApplePay working with US issued cards in Australia and Canada.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

If it's anything like how imessage works on both, it seems to send them quietly to your phone if you're actively using message (or have been in the past few minutes). If it sends it your computer and you don't respond/look at it, then after a couple minutes you get an alert on your phone. It's a pretty sophisticated system to avoid getting multiple alerts at the same time on all your devices.

Oh okay! That's actually an ideal implementation.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I don't see that behavior. My iPad and iPhone were sitting right next to each other when I got a two-factor auth text, and both screens lit up within a few seconds of each other.

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012
For the people who have and like the apple leather case how does it feel in terms of protection? Ive got a 6+ on backorder and i still drop my five sometimes. That combined with two small children means that I need to guard against the inevitable accidents.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

carry on then posted:

I don't see that behavior. My iPad and iPhone were sitting right next to each other when I got a two-factor auth text, and both screens lit up within a few seconds of each other.

Maybe? I'm talking about messages on a mac and an idevice. No idea how two idevices would work.

Amber Alert
Aug 28, 2009

fuk cyka

Keystoned posted:

For the people who have and like the apple leather case how does it feel in terms of protection? Ive got a 6+ on backorder and i still drop my five sometimes. That combined with two small children means that I need to guard against the inevitable accidents.

A few posts up people mention a pretty positive experience with the leather case. I've so got a 6+ on back order and I'm personally just waiting for the Lifeproof case to drop.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Keystoned posted:

I wouldn't put it up against like, an Otterbox, but for small drops, it seems like it would be fine. It has a lip to keep the screen off surfaces, too, which is nice. Mostly, it just gives it a bit more grip that the bare metal doesn't offer.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

8.1 really feels like what should have been on the phone at launch. Suddenly there are a whole bunch of new software features that are really useful.

I just went to lunch at Subway and when the cashier activated the card terminal (normal card mode) my phone automatically picked it up and all I had to do was touch the thumb scanner. Beep. This is really drat neato.

No. 6 fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 21, 2014

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

noirstronaut posted:

Anyway, the iPhone 4 is old enough to have abysmal retail value and you could probably get an iPhone 5 for cheap as dicks or just a 5C for free with a contract extension.

It's still worth $200 at AT&T!

Until spooky, spooky Halloween, anyway, at which point undead phones must return to their previous trade-in value.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How do you make a card your default card?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

How do you make a card your default card?
Settings > Passbook & Apple Pay

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Settings > Passbook & Apple Pay

Thanks. Didn't think to check there. I expected to be able to open the info screen for a card and do it there somehow.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Does anyone have a good breakdown of how Apple Pay works? Normally the merchant will have an acquiring bank which takes all their card transactions and then routes them to the issuing bank. Is it the same here?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

gohmak posted:

Come on credit unions, get with the times.

Mine had said in September they were thinking about it, then yesterday announced they were going to support it, but didn't announce a timeframe. They have a good app and are generally good with technology, although the location nearest me cannot keep their goddamn ATMs working for anything. Anyway I hope it's soon.

edit: goddamnit my local grocery concern looks like an MCX partner from what I can find, they have NFC terminals that aren't on. Seems like more places around here than I would've thought support regular NFC payments, though.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 21, 2014

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Also, it looks like Wells Fargo is only keeping history for credit card transactions, not debit card transactions.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

No. 6 posted:

Does anyone have a good breakdown of how Apple Pay works? Normally the merchant will have an acquiring bank which takes all their card transactions and then routes them to the issuing bank. Is it the same here?

Can't it just spoof the credit card's NFC info? The scanner and store doesn't care what you tap as long as it detects an accepted card, then it gets handled exactly the same way as a normal cc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

No. 6 posted:

Also, it looks like Wells Fargo is only keeping history for credit card transactions, not debit card transactions.

I don't know how this works then since I've been selecting the green Credit button on the Whole Foods POS terminal when I use ApplePay and yet I still can't see any transaction detail besides time and general location.