Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

1) Ostensibly you might get some bonus quotes. But the cutscenes will all be the same. No, no real benefit.

2) Any dimmed-out stage should tell you the requirements on the 'choose mission' screen. Don't worry too much about Bond unlocks until you've got access to Chapter 4, whereupon the teahouse will let you form bonds between two specific people on the cheap. Form a bond between every member of the trio, do a quick mission with them, done.

3) Equipment carries over as well. I don't know about Survival mode but definitely Conquest mode which is the only one you should give a poo poo about.

4) Big star weapons take a very long time to get affinity with, but end up at about +50 affinity bonus - this is stronger than a standard 3- or 4- star weapon. Your best bet, though, is to wait 'til you have a reasonably beefy character then press square on the preparation screen just before you start a level. This will offer you the chance to buy a Battlefield Bonus for 100k gems - this will cause more scroll drops in the level but also drop weapons with hugely high affinity bonuses. Do it on Stage 3 levels and you're likely to get a 15+(70~90) weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
How do you unlock a faction's extra "misc" missions (the ones at the bottom in story mode) in DW8? I've full-cleared most of the factions' story mode now and I only have 1 or 2 stages unlocked for each.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Complete other missions also at the bottom. Those missions are the XL-specific maps.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Stelas posted:

1) Ostensibly you might get some bonus quotes. But the cutscenes will all be the same. No, no real benefit.

2) Any dimmed-out stage should tell you the requirements on the 'choose mission' screen. Don't worry too much about Bond unlocks until you've got access to Chapter 4, whereupon the teahouse will let you form bonds between two specific people on the cheap. Form a bond between every member of the trio, do a quick mission with them, done.

3) Equipment carries over as well. I don't know about Survival mode but definitely Conquest mode which is the only one you should give a poo poo about.

4) Big star weapons take a very long time to get affinity with, but end up at about +50 affinity bonus - this is stronger than a standard 3- or 4- star weapon. Your best bet, though, is to wait 'til you have a reasonably beefy character then press square on the preparation screen just before you start a level. This will offer you the chance to buy a Battlefield Bonus for 100k gems - this will cause more scroll drops in the level but also drop weapons with hugely high affinity bonuses. Do it on Stage 3 levels and you're likely to get a 15+(70~90) weapon.

All right, thanks!

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Section Z posted:

The point was probably to make Solomon look like a smartypants and not any actual lesson, like "See this clever thing Solomon does, he's so smart and that fake mom is so dumb I can't believe she fell for it."
Cross-posted from BSS' funny panels thread because I literally just realized that this is Novel Zhuge Liang In A Nutshell(tm).

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

Chortles posted:

Cross-posted from BSS' funny panels thread because I literally just realized that this is Novel Zhuge Liang In A Nutshell(tm).

I'm three quarters of the way in and I'm still waiting for Zhuge Liang to make a mistake and loving learn something for a change :mad:

The translation I'm reading calls the natives in Zhuge Liang's southern campaign "Mang" as opposed to "Nanman" - am I right in thinking it refers to this Mang ethnic group and is just a more polite name than Nanman? (since according to Wikipedia "Nanman" is "southern barbarians")

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Quick WO3U question.

I noticed while looking at my officer's move info, beside their name, there were two tabs that said "Empty" On another character, there was another character in each tab that both had "Empty" beside them. Yet another character had two characters beside them in a single tab.

What does this mean?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Certain combinations of characters in your team will modify their co-op rush into something unique. The 'Empty' means you haven't got that character yet.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
Famitsu has confirmed that several DW8 characters will have their official EX weapons changed in DW8 Empires to those of DLC weapons. (Which also means the DLC weapons will be available for free in that game, much like what happened in DW7 Empires). We can assume this will remain set in future games as well.

Meng Huo: Gloves > Stone Pillar
Deng Ai: Lance > Gatling Crossbow
Lianshi: Crossbow > Duck Hooks
Liu Shan: Rapier > Dragon Bench
Wang Yi: Trisula > Emei Piercers
Sun Quan: Sword > Blaze Sword
Xiaoqiao: Iron Fan > Twin Fans
Guan Suo: Nunchucks > Boots
Yueying: Dagger Axe > Bladed Bow

A similar thing happened with many characters in DW7 Empires, and they got new Musous and EX attacks in that game. Their old Musous and EX attacks were still available to created characters so we can assume that's still the case here.

I haven't played all the DLC weapons, but for Sun Quan and Xiaoqiao at least I think this is very suitable as their old movesets were really boring and seemed dated. For others I'm a bit sad about. Deng Ai won't be the same without his fuckoff drill lance, and Lianshi's crossbow seemed fitting for her character. Seems strange for Yueying as she's had her EX weapon change twice since DW7, and both in "Empires" games. If you count her bow weapon in DW6, I think she's had the biggest variety of movesets of any character. Koei just can't seem to decide what to do with her!

5er
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Dragon Bench?

Is he hitting people with a loving recliner?

edit: I looked up pictures. It really is a piece of furniture.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Brony Hunter posted:

Deng Ai won't be the same without his fuckoff drill lance, and Lianshi's crossbow seemed fitting for her character.

Yeah those are weird choices. Hell, Wang Yi is losing the weapon she debuted with, I figured those would be signature for her.

5er
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Dj Meow Mix posted:

Yeah those are weird choices. Hell, Wang Yi is losing the weapon she debuted with, I figured those would be signature for her.

Weird choices or not, I'll give them credit... each of those characters are Guys I Don't Use Unless I Have To. Anything that encourages me to mix it up and try new stuff is okay with me.

Even if... and maybe especially, if it involves beating people with picnic furniture.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
Have the Dynasty Warriors Blast character images been posted yet? One of the developers said that some of the character designs will eventually make it into future Dynasty Warriors games.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

Some of the poses and moves with the Bench involve lazing around on it then suddenly counter attacking, which is actually kinda fitting for a guy like Liu Shan.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

5er posted:

Dragon Bench?

I see DW9 is just going into new directions for the Jin saga.

Vichan posted:

Have the Dynasty Warriors Blast character images been posted yet? One of the developers said that some of the character designs will eventually make it into future Dynasty Warriors games.

Well I hope "some" don't include this

Tae fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Oct 21, 2014

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Is it just me or is her right tit completely hanging out?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nah, if you look close (don't judge) she's got a white top on but one boob is covered by some red armour thing though. I guess the one that's statistically more likely to get a sword through it? Who knows. No idea what's going on with her legs though.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I know it's trite to complain about anatomy in anime, but I'm pretty sure hip joints don't extend that far. Also, I'm pretty sure her femur is longer than her spine. :wtc:

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

It looks like she's just been involved in a tragic accident that'll lose her the use of her legs for life.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
When does Samurai Warriors 4 get on psn for ps3?

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Tae posted:

Well I hope "some" don't include this

"Some" as in characters not yet featured in DW, at least I hope so. :ohdear:

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

Hey guys, apparently Samurai Warriors 4 is available right now on the US PSN store. (Still gotta wait a few days here in Europe)

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Yup. It's up.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
So in the book Zhuge Liang just told Wang Lang off so hard that he died on the spot.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

Enallyniv posted:

So in the book Zhuge Liang just told Wang Lang off so hard that he died on the spot.

Book Zhuge Liang was like that. The guy was basically Merlin.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Enallyniv posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7JpXRNP3hk&t=246s

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Did that Journey to the West tv series turn out to be nearly as good as the Three Kingdoms one?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I don't know but there's only one Journey to the West TV series worth watching:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88y4ttqaW6U

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

That's how it goes, right?
Just been playing around with DWO3 - picked it up on a whim, really. I jumped into the thread to just lurk and read and I see mention of a Three Kingdoms show. I read the novels in my Chinese History class, and that was great. How's the show? Worth watching?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

I don't know but there's only one Journey to the West TV series worth watching:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88y4ttqaW6U

uhm its called dragon ball

and the three kingdoms show is by all accounts good

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

There's been a lot of Three Kingdoms shows, but the one people have been talking about is the 2010 live-action series. It's pretty good. The actors are hamming it up in a way that really works, and the action isn't overdone, which is a trap a lot of Three Kingdoms adaptations fall into.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I guess you mean overdone as in spam it every single episode, but when they do battle it's some DBZ poo poo that arguably makes it more ridiculous than Dynasty Warriors.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone else having problems activating their SW4 pre-order dlc on the PSN?

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

Endorph posted:

There's been a lot of Three Kingdoms shows, but the one people have been talking about is the 2010 live-action series. It's pretty good. The actors are hamming it up in a way that really works, and the action isn't overdone, which is a trap a lot of Three Kingdoms adaptations fall into.

Excellent. I'll look for some fansubs since I assume it's not been picked up here in the States.

Tae posted:

I guess you mean overdone as in spam it every single episode, but when they do battle it's some DBZ poo poo that arguably makes it more ridiculous than Dynasty Warriors.

Based on the novels, that's not really that absurd.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

Yeah, I meant make it nothing more than a series of loosely related fights. The battles are overdramatic as gently caress but that fits with the tone, the whole thing is overdramatic as hell and it's great.

And nah, it's definitely not been picked up in the states - I can't think of many live action shows from other countries that have been - but it's been subbed. The whole thing is up on Youtube.

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

Endorph posted:

Yeah, I meant make it nothing more than a series of loosely related fights. The battles are overdramatic as gently caress but that fits with the tone, the whole thing is overdramatic as hell and it's great.

And nah, it's definitely not been picked up in the states - I can't think of many live action shows from other countries that have been - but it's been subbed. The whole thing is up on Youtube.

Yeah, I was just about to ask for where I could fine it, but if it's been picked up that's :filez:. If not, I tend to think it's in the clear.

Anyway - back to DWO3U. SW4 is out, but I still have DW8XL and DWO3U to clear out first.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

its on youtube in its entirety

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Anybody else download SW4 from PSN and keep getting some "This mode has not been fully downloaded yet" message when you try to access anything but story mode?

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Endorph posted:

The battle of Changban is loving absurd and I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
Picked up Orochi 3 Ultimate last week. Loving it. Things that I like:

- They turned Survival Mode from the old games into a new kind of challenge/something grindable. I basically cruised through it to get Hundun unlocked, but it's interesting and I'm intrigued!
- YOU CAN SELL WEAPONS. I went through and sold off all the junk items from my original save and got like 800k in gems.
- The Promotion system is awesome. Getting the speed boosts for stats is loving awesome.
- The "mount" slot is great, too. As is the DW8 style of mounting. Yeah, it's on the D-Pad, but you can just hold and automount now.
- They've added some more missions to make Bond grinding easier. There's like 4 characters that don't really have missions to grind on now. For complete freaks like me who want to 100% this game, it's great.

Couple of WO3U questions,

1, Does anyone know what the hell triggers EXP fevers? Near as I can tell it's A) off an officer and B) there has to be like less than 3 mooks running around.

2, Anyone know if the Art of War item boosts the duration of EXP fevers?

5er posted:

Dragon Bench?

I really hope that there is a comedy option skin for this that is a folding chair and I can just go around the map as Dian Wei braining people like I'm a 200 BC era Stone Cold Steve Austin.

E: Hell, he already has a wrestling alternate costume.