Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

JawnV6 posted:

firmware and electrical are good (didn't check for a drill file w/ the gerbers, but the altium source is better anyway), but mechanical is just step files

ah, interesting. I think most of the interest from people was for hacking on firmware or transplanting the electrical, rather than copying the breathtaking comfort of the plastic headset. I'm curious about why we didn't release all the rest, though, I'll inquire.

thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

MrMoo posted:

I think it was obvious from the slashdot announcement it was just the software packaging of Tor on a portable wireless router.

Oh, looks like I was confusing with this: pretty much the same thing though,

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/08/a-portable-router-that-conceals-your-internet-traffic/

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

going through kickstarters to look for funny things, the first thing in tech is a roomba with a projector attached running android
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/keecker/keecker-the-worlds-first-homepod?ref=category_featured

why

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

this thing is gonna be so, so fuckin heavy with all that battery in the center

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

going through kickstarters to look for funny things, the first thing in tech is a roomba with a projector attached running android
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/keecker/keecker-the-worlds-first-homepod?ref=category_featured

three thousand united states dollars

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

Model 24 Motorized Umbrella

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Bisty Q. posted:

looks like they want to sell it for $5k. who the hell would buy that?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bisty Q. posted:

that is like the only realistically priced kick starter i've seen

small run poo poo is expensive

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

i hope you don't have stairs in your house

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!
A robot that follows you around so you can watch movies or skype anywhere at home is obviously trash - we already have ipads. The true application that a select few will pay thousands for is an anime holowaifu that lives projected on your walls.

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed
I do appreciate they say you won't have to worry about charging or wires. . . it's almost like they don't know how much juice it takes to run a projector.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
it's using inductive charging, which only makes sense with 1 use case

hint this is not that use case

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

please don't post my custom dildo schematics

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR
I would buy one of those stupid fan umbrellas for 30 quid but at the price they want for one it better suck you off while letting you fly around like mary poppins

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

oh it looks like a Magic Wand, all right

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

i love how they assume everyone lives in a house with all the walls painted Rental White™

Sair
May 11, 2007

enotnert posted:

I do appreciate they say you won't have to worry about charging or wires. . . it's almost like they don't know how much juice it takes to run a projector.

but the battery will be good for several days of use without recharging!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sair posted:

but the battery will be good for several days of use without recharging!

*average day of use consists of 1 hour of viewing at the eco brightness setting averaging less than 50 lumens

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Soricidus posted:

i hope you don't have stairs in your house

i am protected

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

enotnert posted:

led bulb. probably 10-20 watts. not unreasonable to drive from battery

the real question: since it's on wheels anyway, why use expensive lithium rechargables? it's not like people are picking this thing up to carry it, use lead acid and shave hundreds off production cost

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
lol if you think the average kickstarter person thinks about poo poo like contribution margins

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1792044123/pfo-shield-gps-gsm-bracelet-a-safer-world-for-all?ref=category

why yes let me just trust my personal safety to a some $70k parts bin monstrosity which will only work in its prepaid GSM coverage areas instead of a real Personal Locator Beacon made by a major outdoor equipment manufacturer which has been put through the wringer multiple times to ensure it will work in all cases and which uses a satellite constellation and standardized emergency frequencies to ensure it will work anywhere in the world

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Shifty Pony posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1792044123/pfo-shield-gps-gsm-bracelet-a-safer-world-for-all?ref=category

why yes let me just trust my personal safety to a some $70k parts bin monstrosity which will only work in its prepaid GSM coverage areas instead of a real Personal Locator Beacon made by a major outdoor equipment manufacturer which has been put through the wringer multiple times to ensure it will work in all cases and which uses a satellite constellation and standardized emergency frequencies to ensure it will work anywhere in the world

so wait you're saying this has actually been made except with infinitely more funding and area specific knowledge, and the field isn't just waiting for some plucky maker to come along and invent it from square one

well i never

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?
yeah but :tinfoil::nsa:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Vicas posted:

so wait you're saying this has actually been made except with infinitely more funding and area specific knowledge, and the field isn't just waiting for some plucky maker to come along and invent it from square one

well i never

tbf they are in the form of well-packaged functional handheld electronics like these:

not whatever you call this:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
ctrl+f "mil-std-810" not found

lol

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed
hey hey hey, those don't have "social media"

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

enotnert posted:

hey hey hey, those don't have "social media"

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro_QpDJX-Sk&t=15s

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

literally the worst lighting conditions for casual projecting

also lol forever at the banal logic that will decide how much to keystone automatically

if its even automatic loool

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

now show a real use case and put a cat on top of it

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mido posted:

literally the worst lighting conditions for casual projecting

also lol forever at the banal logic that will decide how much to keystone automatically

if its even automatic loool

the half assed but actually trying solution is an ir range finder and a look up table

(real solution is image processing of course but nobody does that outside of projector walls)

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

the half assed but actually trying solution is an ir range finder and a look up table

(real solution is image processing of course but nobody does that outside of projector walls)

it'd have to scan to find the most perpendicular angle to the surface it's going to project on unless it wants to do some really scary keystoning

if it's not gonna do that then its going ot need to rangefind the 4 points that will be the corners of the screen and do something hilarious from that

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mido posted:

it'd have to scan to find the most perpendicular angle to the surface it's going to project on unless it wants to do some really scary keystoning

if it's not gonna do that then its going ot need to rangefind the 4 points that will be the corners of the screen and do something hilarious from that

fixed angle projector, assume whatever is straight ahead is the wall

i said half assed way

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
in reality you have a single I2C register on the DLP for "keystnoe_value" so all the sensors and smarts you could possibly want are going to be mashed down into 0-255

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

JawnV6 posted:

in reality you have a single I2C register on the DLP for "keystnoe_value" so all the sensors and smarts you could possibly want are going to be mashed down into 0-255

nice typo on the register name, which is totally how it would be written in the documentation because lol forever @ rushed documentation thrown over a fence by someone who barely speaks english

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

JawnV6 posted:

not poo poo keystoning is done in hardware

and the register is on the dlpc not the dlp, learn2projector

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

hobbesmaster posted:

not poo poo keystoning is done in hardware

and the register is on the dlpc not the dlp, learn2projector

i dont know poo poo about projector HW, my naive guess would be that correcting for a known (relatively small) keystone effect would be a minor amount of extra processing compared to decoding compressed video, etc. would a low or mid-end consumer projector be able to use some cheap commodity HW and be "good enough" ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

i dont know poo poo about projector HW, my naive guess would be that correcting for a known (relatively small) keystone effect would be a minor amount of extra processing compared to decoding compressed video, etc. would a low or mid-end consumer projector be able to use some cheap commodity HW and be "good enough" ?

the question is how does the dumb little robot know how much keystone to apply, not how to apply keystone in the first place. in ti dlp projectors the dip controller can apply all those transformations with a simple setting of some registers. this type of software (ok firmware?) keystoning has the result of not using all your mirrors in every row which reduces the image quality. the "proper" way to do keystoning is by moving a mirror in the optical path. needless to say cheap projectors do it in software

• Locked thread