Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

IamnotJoe posted:

I have seen the ones where it includes the 90's as well.

Cusp kids. Outside ceased to exist in 1991 due to chemtrails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IamnotJoe
Jul 24, 2005
Maybe Steve.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Cusp kids. Outside ceased to exist in 1991 due to chemtrails.

Does anyone have that one where some 14 year old talks about wanting to be born in the 90's cause punk kids were cool and no one liked the jocks. That one is hilarious. I blame the parents. I am in my late 30's and some of the people I went to school with keep looking back with these rose colored glasses. Half of the in clique added me on facebook the moment they saw I was on there. I was never cool and got routinely bullied in high school. I accepted because I thought it would make me feel better.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
I'm gonna repost poorly formatted jpegs bitching about technology and kids these days onto social media. :freep:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

dijon du jour posted:

Ha ha ha ha ha hoh man, it's the Paranautical Activity guy. :allears: For those who don't know this dude was already on thin ice with Valve before for running his mouth off.
Basically he put his game on Steam Greenlight then when it wasn't getting greenlit fast enough he found a publisher (I believe Adult Swim) who can fast-track him to the Steam store. Valve then shut him down and told him because he started out on Greenlight he needs to get through via Greenlight basically because they don't want predatory publishers to treat Greenlight as a menu of delicious, desperate indie devs. Paranautical Activity guy then blows a fuse and spouts off publicly about how Valve is the worst company ever, Greenlight is stupid, how he'll never get on steam because he's ignored his Greenlight page for a couple months, etc. etc.

This incident is just icing on the drama cake.

I know there was some controversy too a while back because for a long time the game promised multiplayer and then that feature was quietly removed from the store page. I think the dev was a prick to people about it then too and made some really stupid and inflammatory comments.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Didn't he also send Gaben death threats? And then defended it by asserting that well, Gabe's basically a meme now, so it's not like he was threatening a real person or anything?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

SatansOnion posted:

Didn't he also send Gaben death threats? And then defended it by asserting that well, Gabe's basically a meme now, so it's not like he was threatening a real person or anything?

Joke's gonna be on them when the Supreme Court declares that meme's are people.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

dijon du jour posted:

Ha ha ha ha ha hoh man, it's the Paranautical Activity guy. :allears: For those who don't know this dude was already on thin ice with Valve before for running his mouth off.
Basically he put his game on Steam Greenlight then when it wasn't getting greenlit fast enough he found a publisher (I believe Adult Swim) who can fast-track him to the Steam store. Valve then shut him down and told him because he started out on Greenlight he needs to get through via Greenlight basically because they don't want predatory publishers to treat Greenlight as a menu of delicious, desperate indie devs. Paranautical Activity guy then blows a fuse and spouts off publicly about how Valve is the worst company ever, Greenlight is stupid, how he'll never get on steam because he's ignored his Greenlight page for a couple months, etc. etc.

This incident is just icing on the drama cake.

It also needs to be repeated that the issue was his banner on the main store page said the game was still in early access. This mistake was fixed by Valve in AN HOUR, but this dude still went off the deep end with death threats.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I do feel bad for the game's other developer, who had nothing to do with this issue but is saying on twitter that his career is basically ruined.

E: Oh wait no, now he's exploded on twitter like a big baby too. drat, why can't anybody just shut up?

HellCopter has a new favorite as of 18:26 on Oct 21, 2014

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Pretty standard religious forward stuff, but dear lord those artifacts

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Pretty standard religious forward stuff, but dear lord those artifacts

Considering the size of the christian population I'd pity Satan if this was true. Imagine the size of his headache if even one person carrying a bible gives him a headache. And he'd be constantly collapsing and fainting while at the same time running away.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

IamnotJoe posted:

Does anyone have that one where some 14 year old talks about wanting to be born in the 90's cause punk kids were cool and no one liked the jocks. That one is hilarious. I blame the parents. I am in my late 30's and some of the people I went to school with keep looking back with these rose colored glasses. Half of the in clique added me on facebook the moment they saw I was on there. I was never cool and got routinely bullied in high school. I accepted because I thought it would make me feel better.

I worked with an 18 year old who continuously went on about how she wished she was my age (26) since I grew up with such better TV shows. TV was goddamn poo poo back then, and still is, doesn't matter what generation you grew up in.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

kannonfodder posted:

I worked with an 18 year old who continuously went on about how she wished she was my age (26) since I grew up with such better TV shows. TV was goddamn poo poo back then, and still is, doesn't matter what generation you grew up in.

Not entirely true. Kids nowadays have access to both past and present good shows, whereas kids back then only had access to those past shows. Also who the hell still uses a TV when you can stream stuff for cheaper?

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Slime posted:

Considering the size of the christian population I'd pity Satan if this was true. Imagine the size of his headache if even one person carrying a bible gives him a headache. And he'd be constantly collapsing and fainting while at the same time running away.

What jerks :/

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

mng posted:

What jerks :/

Is that like kitty seizures?

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Apogee15 posted:

Is that like kitty seizures?

It's a condition where they (painlessly!) seize up and go stiff, often when startled. It's best seen in a breed of goats known as fainting goats.

It's very cute but it usually comes with complications. :smith:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
What's wrong with those kitties :(

edit: ^^^ :( :( :(

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

kannonfodder posted:

I've been stuck at home, bored out of my mind, on medical leave for a few weeks now, so I've watched a lot of kids' TV in the day. And I maintain that kids' TV today is much better than what we had in the '90s. Our shows were made with lovely production values and were just there to sell overpriced plastic toys, but kids today get nice things like Something Special (a non-creepy and only slightly annoying clown signs in Makaton as he speaks), Rastamouse (a show where they actually rehabilitate the villains and they show up in later episodes as good guys) and Tinga Tinga Tales (folk stories with a lovely art style). We never had anything like those! :(

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Having grown up in the 90s, I find it hilarious how kids these days wish they grew up when I did - when I was growing up, everyone wishes they grew up back in the 80s and how better everything was back then. I'll laugh when in twenty years kids wish they coulda grown up back in the 2010s.

cuber
Dec 29, 2011

Fancy, million dollar cuisine.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Yesterday some guy in Quebec named Martin Rouleau ran over a couple of Canadian soldiers, and was shot by police. Rouleau and one of the soliders, Patrice Vincent, both died of their injuries. The second soldier had minor injuries and I believe is expected to recover.

Prime Minister Harper put out a statement on his Facebook page about it. The guy driving the car was a recent convert to Islam, and was apparently stopped from leaving the country to fight for ISIL in Syria.

There are over 300 comments, you can view the status here: https://www.facebook.com/pmharper/posts/10152746814242110

They do seem to be deleting the most offensive ones, but I've seen calls from people "hoping some patriots will bomb/burn down mosques", demanding to make Islam illegal, or advising that we need WW2-style internment camps for all muslims like we did to the Japanese.

Lots of calls for concealed carry, too.

It's an awful, offensive, and terrible thing that happened, and gently caress the guy who did it, but good Lord... Some of the comments just make me feel numb. :smith:

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

cuber posted:

Probably in reference to the medical bills you'll rack up after a lifetime of eating poo poo like this.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

cuber posted:

Slightly off-topic, but why do Americans, in addition to your ridiculous non-metric measurements, use even worse stuff like "a jar of sauce", "a stick of butter" and "a box of noodles"? Do these things never come in different sizes?

Also that looks like a sub-par lasagna.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

BonHair posted:

Slightly off-topic, but why do Americans, in addition to your ridiculous non-metric measurements, use even worse stuff like "a jar of sauce", "a stick of butter" and "a box of noodles"? Do these things never come in different sizes?

An actual cookbook wouldn't most of the time, unless it's old or something. These are basically family recipes.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

CodfishCartographer posted:

Having grown up in the 90s, I find it hilarious how kids these days wish they grew up when I did - when I was growing up, everyone wishes they grew up back in the 80s and how better everything was back then. I'll laugh when in twenty years kids wish they coulda grown up back in the 2010s.

I don't know, it makes a lot of sense to me at least in Michigan where I grew up because in the 90s there was actually hope for most young people to get a decent job and have a future. The economy was poo poo in the 80s and after 9/11 so the 90s was pretty much the sweet spot for everything not being poo poo. I grew up in the 90s and we were pretty thankful not to have grown up in the 80s.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

BonHair posted:

Usually these things are the same/very similar sizes, especially sticks of butter, which are 8 tablespoons. This kind of stellar recipe is probably just fine (or as "fine" as it can be) with estimates/small differences in amounts, but like Lumberjack said, actual recipes don't usually call for jars/boxes/sticks.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

BonHair posted:

Sticks of butter are generally pretty uniform, but the other two are highly variable, yeah.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

senrath posted:

Sticks of butter are generally pretty uniform, but the other two are highly variable, yeah.

Sticks of butter are also the most common in googling recipes. And who the hell measures butter in tablespoons and not in weight?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

BonHair posted:

Sticks of butter are also the most common in googling recipes. And who the hell measures butter in tablespoons and not in weight?

People who have measuring spoons but not a scale?

Gnarly Bae Jepsen
Jul 12, 2007

Manic Pixie Dick Girl

BonHair posted:

The packaging of butter has lines where you cut for each tablespoon.

e: why am I contributing to this derail? Here is an idiot on social media calling gay people "gremlins"

http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovemen...e_with_a_cannon

quote:

Same-sex couples that seek to destroy our way of life and the institution of marriage are NOT cute and cuddly but rather (for those of you that are old enough to remember the movie), Gremlins that will only destroy our way of life.

Same-sex "marriage" is a pestilence that has descended on our society, against our will, by those in the courts and government that do not value the traditional family. These people, like my opponent SC-6 Congressman Jim Clyburn who OPENLY supports same-sex "marriage," seek to destroy the traditional family and the values we cherish.

Gnarly Bae Jepsen has a new favorite as of 20:46 on Oct 21, 2014

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

BonHair posted:

If you're buying butter in sticks, the side of the wrapper has tablespoon markers for easy measurement, so people who have knives and like convenience, I imagine.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

BonHair posted:

People who want to anger chemists.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Militree posted:

The packaging of butter has lines where you cut for each tablespoon.

e: why am I contributing to this derail? Here is an idiot on social media calling gay people "gremlins"

http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovemen...e_with_a_cannon

This is the most bizarre out-of-touch cultural reference I've seen in a while.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Tweet Me Balls posted:

Probably in reference to the medical bills you'll rack up after a lifetime of eating poo poo like this.

Spaghett, the silent killer.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

BonHair posted:

I think something you learn/get taught in cooking is that past a certain point you're not really supposed to stick with precise measurements anyway.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

BonHair posted:

And who the hell measures butter in tablespoons and not in weight?

People who like to eat it by the spoonful.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

BonHair posted:

One man's half-rear end lasagna is another man's million dollar spaghetti

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Teddybear posted:

A game dev got frustrated that Steam, while promoting his game prominently, listed it as Early Access instead of a fully released game. His method of addressing this was to threaten to kill Gabe Newell, the owner of Steam/Valve, over Twitter.

Steam pulled his game and is refusing to work with him anymore, which essentially ends his career as a game dev.

http://kotaku.com/indie-dev-threatens-gabe-newell-has-game-removed-from-1648678869

Per the 2nd dev's Twitter - it's also now been pulled from the Humble store.

The Idiots on Social Media thread has slammed into the schadenfreude thread and made a perfect little baby.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
Wowie, a pixel FPS with stock FPS guns and clones of Doom monsters. The world is going to miss out on so much from this dreck being pulled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

BonHair posted:

The huge differences in humidity across the US make weight less accurate for flour than volume, so a lot of recipes (especially baked goods) use volumetric measurements across the board.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think something you learn/get taught in cooking is that past a certain point you're not really supposed to stick with precise measurements anyway.

True for cooking, but not for baking. I'm not sure what I'd call the OP though... maybe mixing and heating.

• Locked thread