Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
Can someone explain to me how to actually perform naval missions in KR? No matter what I do most task forces just seem to sit there and the ETA ticks up in time with gametime. I've removed the damaged ships and there doesn't seem to be any issues of supply, they just won't do it. Until I can figure this out amphibious landings (which I can do) are off the cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Is their Org low?

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Is their Org low?

Their Org is full.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Try to check the max range of the TF compared to the mission that you want them to go on. It's been my experience that naval range can be very very limited until you get higher up the tech tree.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Obliterati posted:

Their Org is full.

What about their STR? Did you tell them to do something during the day and it's currently night?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Are you over the admiral's command limit? If you're over it you get a huge penalty to ship range.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Where are you trying to invade, and from where?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Obliterati posted:

Can someone explain to me how to actually perform naval missions in KR? No matter what I do most task forces just seem to sit there and the ETA ticks up in time with gametime. I've removed the damaged ships and there doesn't seem to be any issues of supply, they just won't do it. Until I can figure this out amphibious landings (which I can do) are off the cards.

Double check the mission timers, there's a half-decent chance that the game remembers the last time you set that mission in another game, setting the mission start-time months or years after your game's present time. There's also a chance the mission's end timer is set too early so the mission autocompletes before the ships do anything.

Alternatively check to make sure the mission strength/org's not been set to something ridiculous like 100/100. If even one ship in the has a lower strength/org% than the one set in the mission window the mission won't happen.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
Thanks for the answers. I checked these suggestions and they don't seem to be solving the issue but I am new to this so I'm likely missing something. I took a screenshot:

That ETA just ticks up alongside the game time. What am I missing? That sea province is Mosquito Coast.

(Ignore my control of Puerto Limon, without support my troops got knocked off instantly)

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I have no idea on HoI2 or KR, but that did remind me- how do you do shore bombardment in HoI3? I seem to see/think it's referenced on wikis, but I sail my cool battleship fleets up to the coast and they just kind of sit there?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Obliterati posted:

Thanks for the answers. I checked these suggestions and they don't seem to be solving the issue but I am new to this so I'm likely missing something. I took a screenshot:

That ETA just ticks up alongside the game time. What am I missing? That sea province is Mosquito Coast.

(Ignore my control of Puerto Limon, without support my troops got knocked off instantly)

Oh right. Shore bombardment doesn't do anything except impose a negative modifier on enemy land troops fighting in the area. I don't know where Bluefields is - is it that land zone blocked by the tooltip?

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Gort posted:

Oh right. Shore bombardment doesn't do anything except impose a negative modifier on enemy land troops fighting in the area. I don't know where Bluefields is - is it that land zone blocked by the tooltip?

Ah right, I thought it was like bombing runs: my bad. Bluefields is indeed that province. Guess I go regen my infantry Org and come back! Thanks.

e: wait, so it says it's moving but the mission is happening?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
It's working. Once you launch a land attack into the province, you should see a Shore Bombardment modifier.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Obliterati posted:

e: wait, so it says it's moving but the mission is happening?

Yep, guess so. I've never looked that closely.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Obliterati posted:

Turn on counters.
And stop wasting that IC :arghfist::spergin:
gently caress and stop not taking "invest in national research"

The Gentleman
Jun 21, 2012
In CK2, is there any decent way to see how things are inherited, and why? I keep seeing certain duchies jump between nations, sometimes even enormous splits of land. This is very common in the Old Gods start-date, but happens all over the game really. In my current game, France is split between France and Acquitane, and a few counts such as Mainz is independent inside the Holy Roman Empire.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

GrossMurpel posted:

gently caress and stop not taking "invest in national research"

Why should he do that right now? He should wait until he's got 4000 bucks, then do the big investment and hope he gets blueprints on techs five years ahead of their historical year. Always one tech level ahead of everybody else? Yes, please.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

America seems to have a slight secessionist problem :v: even the natives decided to tell Uncle Sam to gently caress off. But hey, Texas is still a loyal part of the union :patriot:

edit; USA itself is a presidential dictatorship. No wonder people are mad.

edit2; now California seceded as well

Trogdos! fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 21, 2014

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

The Gentleman posted:

In CK2, is there any decent way to see how things are inherited, and why? I keep seeing certain duchies jump between nations, sometimes even enormous splits of land. This is very common in the Old Gods start-date, but happens all over the game really. In my current game, France is split between France and Acquitane, and a few counts such as Mainz is independent inside the Holy Roman Empire.

Well the main thing is succession laws. Gavelkind succession (the "default" succession law) splits the titles between the children of the monarch, so if the monarch's got more than one top level titles (like the Kingdom of France the Kingdom of Aquitaine) and is on gavelkind, the kingdoms are going to pass to different sons, and since kings cannot be vassals of kings the kingdom will become independent.

For out-of-realm successions, that depends on if a landed noble in another realm has become the successor of a title. So if the Duchy of Bavaria is inherited by a landed guy that is vassal to France, the feudal obligation to the French king will prevail over the feudal obligation of the now-deceased Duke of Bavaria. High enough crown authority automatically removes people from the line of succession if the succession would mean the title would pass from the realm, however.

The Gentleman
Jun 21, 2012

YF-23 posted:

Well the main thing is succession laws. Gavelkind succession (the "default" succession law) splits the titles between the children of the monarch, so if the monarch's got more than one top level titles (like the Kingdom of France the Kingdom of Aquitaine) and is on gavelkind, the kingdoms are going to pass to different sons, and since kings cannot be vassals of kings the kingdom will become independent.

For out-of-realm successions, that depends on if a landed noble in another realm has become the successor of a title. So if the Duchy of Bavaria is inherited by a landed guy that is vassal to France, the feudal obligation to the French king will prevail over the feudal obligation of the now-deceased Duke of Bavaria. High enough crown authority automatically removes people from the line of succession if the succession would mean the title would pass from the realm, however.

I see that makes sense, I should look to siblings and spouses and see if they have married in between dynasties. But what causes random titles to just become willy nilly independent, outside of big independence wars(but they tend to be larger parts of lands, or at least a duchy or two)?

The Gentleman fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 21, 2014

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Trogdos! posted:

America seems to have a slight secessionist problem :v: even the natives decided to tell Uncle Sam to gently caress off. But hey, Texas is still a loyal part of the union :patriot:

edit; USA itself is a presidential dictatorship. No wonder people are mad.

edit2; now California seceded as well

I think the thing I like most about V2 is just seeing which random countries will become a thing in each play through. You get Confederate States of America lasting the whole game, the California Republic, I had Ottoman Kamchatka after Russia lost a big war.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

NMM best mod :v: due to everyone having cores on everyone, it's a real thunderdome in there. Godspeed, Disunited States of America.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Trogdos! posted:

NMM best mod :v: due to everyone having cores on everyone, it's a real thunderdome in there. Godspeed, Disunited States of America.

We're the real, true America. We will stand the test of time.

*Has no resources, sea ports, population centers or anything anyone would ever want or care about*

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~

Obliterati posted:

It's ok. The AI doesn't know either apparently. The Internationale and the Entente have been at war with each other for 2 years now in my Wrangel Russia game and as far as I can tell there haven't been any attempted landings. They're just kind of scowling at each other across oceans and seas while the Commune and I eat Mitteleuropa and do a Lady and the Tramp style thing in Danzig.

EDIT: how important is it to grind out IP/infrastructure in KR? I haven't constructed a single IP in my Russia game even after accidentally setting fire to and destroying the industrial capacity of every country I invade and have been able to mass produce lots of poo poo and upgrade my huge army anyway.

beefart fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 21, 2014

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

We're the real, true America. We will stand the test of time.

*Has no resources, sea ports, population centers or anything anyone would ever want or care about*

Or Colorado.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

beefart posted:

EDIT: how important is it to grind out IP/infrastructure in KR? I haven't constructed a single IP in my Russia game even after accidentally setting fire to and destroying the industrial capacity of every country I invade and have been able to mass produce lots of poo poo and upgrade my huge army anyway.

In KR? Not all that important since as you noted you'll be gobbling up other nations to expand your industrial base. The only time building infrastructure makes sense, outside of a province that has had its infra wrecked by combat, is if you're playing HoI3 and want to boost your industrial practical cheap and quick.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Trogdos! posted:

How come everyone else's game of NNM gets cool things in America? This has never happened in my games, North America always keeps to the vanilla, historical status quo.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Yeah, I've been trying Kaiserreich as Russia, and I've run into a really dumb problem. I want to start warring with the Central Asian states, but for some reason, all of my divisions are at a very low strength, and end up losing in any engagement. Does anyone know how to fix this?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

VerdantSquire posted:

Yeah, I've been trying Kaiserreich as Russia, and I've run into a really dumb problem. I want to start warring with the Central Asian states, but for some reason, all of my divisions are at a very low strength, and end up losing in any engagement. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Strength as in "organization" or "strength"? For organization, just wait. If that's the case, you're rushing your troops too quickly and they just can't figure out what the gently caress they're doing. If it's strength, make sure you're investing IC in reinforcements.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

VerdantSquire posted:

You dudes start the game at low strength. Put some IC into reinforcements and theyll be right as rain. Since your already at war, click on the star button on the unit screen to prioritize them for reinforcements.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
Pretty much all of Russia's troops start like that in KR. Putting IC into the reinforcement slider and waiting a few years is really the only way to get them up to strength, but you should have some divisions with enough guys hanging around somewhere.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Ah, I figured it was something really silly like that. I'll be able to reload a save a while before the war starts so I don't have to endure with the reality where the Russian President thought that invading a central asian nation without an army was a good idea. Thanks everyone!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I hadn't really followed HOI4 stuff, because I figured that, after bashing my head against HOI3 a few times, HOI just wasn't really my thing. However, after watching the gameplay demo Paradox did at that one con, it really warmed on me. Now I'm actually looking forward to seeing more of HOI4! It looks a lot easier to play and more fun -- like the battle plan thing where your units would advance along the lines you drew felt exactly how I'd have loved it to work in Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness. V2 probably didn't have the capability to support that sort of thing on its engine, but it looked completely intuitive and a lot of fun in HOI4.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

And they call me the sick old man of Europe. :smug:

On a more horrifying note, most of Europe is controlled by fascists.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Trogdos! posted:

What causes this to happen?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

On a more horrifying note, most of Europe is controlled by fascists.

When hasn't it been? :stat: :wal:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

If the US stops being democratic, or if slavery entrenches itself too much, then you see the union fall apart.

e: Its NNM.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!
Anyone know a strategy for playing communist China in DH at the 1936 start? They seem like they're pretty much hosed. In my game I'm losing money, can't get above 4 IC, and I end up automatically allied with the other Chinese states when Japan invades, so I end up sitting around until Japan inevitably rolls over me because I can't keep my armies adequately reinforced.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Agean90 posted:

You dudes start the game at low strength. Put some IC into reinforcements and theyll be right as rain. Since your already at war, click on the star button on the unit screen to prioritize them for reinforcements.

I only dipped my toe into DH, but I seem to remember, playing as Germany, all my divisions started at extremely low strength and I spent a lot of IC and manpower to get them up to full strength and then when I took the first level mobilization decision, it had some effect like +80 strength to all divisions, and my understanding was I'd basically just wasted my resources reinforcing them before that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Mantis42 posted:

If the US stops being democratic, or if slavery entrenches itself too much, then you see the union fall apart.

e: Its NNM.

Are there any events for reintegration if the US goes back to being democratic for whatever reason?

• Locked thread