Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Grouchio posted:

Excuse me, but where could I start a thread pertaining to the recent Anime Pregnancy Announcement meme? Like this?

http://www.smosh.com/smosh-pit/memes/japans-pregnancy-announcement-meme

anywhere you want, friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Magic Kaitou episode 3 was still mediocre. Not bad, but still not good. So I'm going to drop it, maybe I'll check it out again if Conan does show up later.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Cake Attack posted:

anywhere you want, friend
Unfortunately that got gassed in record time.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Grouchio posted:

I'm sorry, it seems all true geniuses are not appreciated in their time

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Grouchio posted:

The OP was really low effort. Now the NTR game thread, that was pretty hilarious.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Potsticker posted:

The OP was really low effort. Now the NTR game thread, that was pretty hilarious.
Someone should try that one again. This meme is goldmine potential.

EDIT: BTW Tsukimonogatari is being released as a 4-part OVA this new years eve!

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
RIP anime pregnancy ntr threads. Perhaps what this subforum really needs is a Cross Ange thread.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Phobophilia posted:

Perhaps what this subforum really needs is a Cross Ange thread.

I don't think anything more than a post each week going "Still terrible" would last more than 5 seconds.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Somehow the Mahouka thread managed.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Anyone else still watching Inou Battle? It's normally a show I would drop immediately, but it has that TRIGGER je ne sais quoi that keeps dragging me back. And surprisingly no fanservice yet.

I loved the last segment, it was great watching two bros chuuning down hard :kamina::respek::zoro:

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Eej posted:

That was purely from the efforts of one goon single-handedly defending that terrible show on multiple fronts. It was pretty funny though, one dedicated poster occasionally dredged whole scenes out of the LN as supporting evidence for how bad the writing is, and how blatant some of the themes were.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Rexides posted:

Anyone else still watching Inou Battle? It's normally a show I would drop immediately, but it has that TRIGGER je ne sais quoi that keeps dragging me back. And surprisingly no fanservice yet.

I loved the last segment, it was great watching two bros chuuning down hard :kamina::respek::zoro:

Inou Battle is cool and the latest episode made it even more of a keeper.
I might try making a thread later today.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Rexides posted:

I've given it the full 3ET now, and I feel opposite. It seems like a show I'd normally keep watching, as it's pretty amusing. This season, though, just has too many better shows. I don't think I'll be watching any more of it.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Eej posted:

Mahouka is a different kind of terrible. Whereas Mahouka is a horrible cross between Ayn Rand and Twilight, Cross Ange seems to amount to nothing more than :tvtropes: and :gibs:

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Oct 21, 2014

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I watched the latest episode to see what the fuss was all about, and no less than like 10 seconds in, someone gets brutally murdered (Hilariously), followed by like 20 minutes of "FEEL BAD, WE'RE poo poo PEOPLE" and a pissing scene. What the gently caress.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I don't think I've laughed at anything as much this month as that eyeball plopping in her lap.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Eej posted:

As far as I know, Mahouka didn't feature back to back episodes of rape (maybe it became a whole trend in Cross Ange? I dunno I stopped watching after episode 2)

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
How about you guys put away your poo poo ineo battles and chros aiegs and watch some good animes like Tribe Cool Crew, which is clearly too hip for this forum.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I actually liked the couple of episodes I saw of Tribe Cool Crew. Though the CG dancing is kinda... enh.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The Cool Crew is plenty cool. You should definitely watch it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1287579779/go-samurai-an-animated-short-film-by-keiichiro-kim

Here's a Kickstarter for a short film by Keiichiro Kimura.

What's the catch? It's going to be animated with nothing but hand-drawn pencil frames.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

The first time they can put "legendary" on a kickstarter and be correct.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttndwyst-Xo

This is his work.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

aers posted:

The first time they can put "legendary" on a kickstarter and be correct.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttndwyst-Xo

This is his work.

That was loving cool. When I get home, I will donate some money so this beautiful human being can do his thing.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Are we allowed to talk about old stuff here? Because I kinda forgot that Hellsing Ultimate had 4 more episodes come out and get dubbed, and I caught ep 5 on Toonami, and holy poo poo I forgot how insane this show was. :magical:

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I avoided Hellsing for a long time because I kinda lumped it in with Naruto and Bleach as "anime things that were popular with the anime dorks from my middle school"

I watched through the dubbed episodes of Hellsing Ultimate a few months ago and found out that, actually, Hellsing is the right kind of stupid where everything is covered in blood and everyone smiles like an insane serial killer all the time

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

The Devil Tesla posted:

How about you guys put away your poo poo ineo battles and chros aiegs and watch some good animes like Tribe Cool Crew, which is clearly too hip for this forum.

I've only seen the opening so far. It looks like the kind of dumb kid's show I'd watch, but how often does the actual show dip into 3d dancing?

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

ninjewtsu posted:

I avoided Hellsing for a long time because I kinda lumped it in with Naruto and Bleach as "anime things that were popular with the anime dorks from my middle school"

I watched through the dubbed episodes of Hellsing Ultimate a few months ago and found out that, actually, Hellsing is the right kind of stupid where everything is covered in blood and everyone smiles like an insane serial killer all the time

And unlike Naruto and Bleach where there's too much plot, I'm pretty convinced that if you tried to find the plot in Hellsing, it'd make it worse. It's a series where I personally just enjoy the dumb violence.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Compendium posted:

And unlike Naruto and Bleach where there's too much plot, I'm pretty convinced that if you tried to find the plot in Hellsing, it'd make it worse. It's a series where I personally just enjoy the dumb violence.

The plot of Hellsing is that Integra is the coolest. I'm sure there was other stuff but that was the most important i'm pretty sure.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The plot of Hellsing is that there is a loving vampire nazi army and the pope is sending the kkk in to deal with it

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
"A bunch of old German assholes really can't let WW2 go."

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

vampire nazi army

This tells you everything you need to know about the plot of Hellsing (Ultimate). Now go watch it.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

"A bunch of old German assholes really can't let WW2 go."

Friends, I...LOVE war...

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
My only problem with Hellsing is that it shoots its load a little too early and never really tops Pip's last stand, followed by Seras losing her goddamned mind, going full Alucard and grinding Zorin's face into mush on the wall. Other than that it is the Dopest poo poo.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I had a friend in high school all too long ago who loving loved the original Hellsing TV series, he thought it was the coolest thing ever. Of course, he made me watch it. At the time I thought it was alright but going back and reading summaries of it, it sounds like the dumbest thing. I stopped talking to him after graduation and never even knew Ultimate existed until just now. Somehow, it sounds even dumber. I kinda want to watch it now but... nah. I'm good.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I've been checking in to it off and on when it shows up on Toonami, and I just can't figure out why it's on now. It really feels like a throwback to 2002 or something. The art style, the awful attempts at humor, it's just so dated. The random wacky bits are the worst, I think. It's Bleach-level comedy.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I mean, Ultimate started in like 04, so you're not wrong.

That said, yeah, it's dumb as hell, but the high points are genuinely really kickass, it has a genuine fresh take on vampires that doesn't involve sparkles and only barely involves romance, and some of the ideas it has are just so absolutely batshit loving crazy that even the not-so-well-executed ones have a certain gonzo appeal to them. Like, one of the minor villains is a walking, talking, teleporting physical representation of a quantum physics thought experiment, and Alucard has Bruce Willis living in his gun.

e: if anything Hellsing Ultimate is a throwback to 90s OVAs. The closest comparisons I can think of are, like, Genocyber and Mad Bull 34.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Neeksy posted:

I've been checking in to it off and on when it shows up on Toonami, and I just can't figure out why it's on now. It really feels like a throwback to 2002 or something. The art style, the awful attempts at humor, it's just so dated. The random wacky bits are the worst, I think. It's Bleach-level comedy.

Is that Hellsing or Hellsing Ultimate? I've never watched the former but I don't remember any wacky comedy bits in the later although that may be because they're just not as memorable as the crazy as hell fights.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I had a friend in high school all too long ago who loving loved the original Hellsing TV series, he thought it was the coolest thing ever. Of course, he made me watch it. At the time I thought it was alright but going back and reading summaries of it, it sounds like the dumbest thing. I stopped talking to him after graduation and never even knew Ultimate existed until just now. Somehow, it sounds even dumber. I kinda want to watch it now but... nah. I'm good.

While high school me thought the TV series was great, in retrospect it was kinda poo poo. Ultimate and the manga are both pretty good dumb action movie material, though. Vampire Nazi Army and all the craziness that surrounds it made the series.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Is that Hellsing or Hellsing Ultimate? I've never watched the former but I don't remember any wacky comedy bits in the later although that may be because they're just not as memorable as the crazy as hell fights.

Even the most serious bits have stuff like Pip being a massive goonlord regarding Seras, Integra making Anderson's cronies light her cigar despite ostensibly being their prisoner, and Schrödinger appearing out of nowhere in Seras' mind to cheerily tell Zorin she hosed up. Ultimate is actually the sillier of the two by a wide margin.

e: actually, you can pretty much count the times it goes full grimdark on one hand. The only things coming to mind are Alucard killing Rip in that super creepy, rapey way and Zorin making Seras relive her parents getting brutally murdered. Every other major story beat I can think of is at least mildly silly.

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Oct 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
That Vanadis show was originally sold to me with an MC who wins battles with strategy and guile.

It's not. It's bad GoT fanfiction with anime tits. The strategy is poo poo, you do not split your forces and make them carry out overcomplicated plans. You don't fight on your opponent's terms, especially if you "know the terrain like the back of your hand". And horses do not work that way, you can't do a loving Blackwater chain with a rope. The MC wins because author can't bear to give the bland self-insert MC a competent likeable rival, lest they threaten his harem's affection. And as a hat trick, the MC wins because of ~magic~ powers in a deliberately low fantasy setting.

• Locked thread