Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

funny computer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

now to see which one gets more eqs

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

maniacdevnull posted:

now to see which one gets more eqs

neither

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
quick add->"Catan at james' place on thursday at 7pm"

Added Catan at james' place on Thu Oct 16, 2014 at 7pm. Undo

yeah i'm traveling back in time for this event thanks google calendar :rolleyes:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
i'm sure that's worked fine for years wtg breaking perfectly functional poo poo google

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

maniacdevnull posted:

funny computer

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Cold on a Cob posted:

quick add->"Catan at james' place on thursday at 7pm"

Added Catan at james' place on Thu Oct 16, 2014 at 7pm. Undo

yeah i'm traveling back in time for this event thanks google calendar :rolleyes:

Playing Catan might as well be going back in time.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

sonatinas posted:

Playing Catan might as well be going back in time.
itt it is 1996 and we are discovering board games for the first time

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
we play other games too but sometimes it's fun to play a classic

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
acquire is the best old boardgame

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
i would like to play ticket to ride some time it has trains

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I am coming to terms with the reality that I am no longer allowed to be a Google user, and it's depressing to say the very least. I got an email last week letting me know that my Google Wallet card had been suspended due to fraud prevention and that I needed to verify personal information. I sent them a scan of my driver's license and my associated debit card, and received a response that my information could not be verified. I tried to verify again, this time with a bank account statement and my credit card. Again, my account could not be verified. I called Google Wallet support and sat on hold with a representative for 30 minutes while he tried to verify my account, but it could not be verified. He recommended that I contact developer support as it may be part of my Developer account.

I contacted developer support and, while they didn't mention a specific reason, they suggested that I file an appeal as my account may have been terminated due to "violations by associated developer accounts." I filed an appeal and was denied -immediately- due to "multiple policy violations by this or associated accounts". I was also instructed to not start another account as it would be suspended as well and all funds forfeit. I was told to refer to the emails I received with the subject REASON FOR REMOVAL, however I never received any emails. I was able to eventually isolated the issue as to why my account was terminated: a developer I had worked with in the past, who was still associated with my account, HAD had their account terminated, but not for apps associated with my account, nor had that developer released any apps on my account at all. They were simply associated with my account as a developer. (Not an owner or administrator). I imagine this was Google removing any means of this developer releasing an app, but I would've hoped terminating their account would've accomplished there.

How bad is the termination? The termination comes along with suspending my Google Wallet account, which can also not be re-opened. Not by my real name, bank account, email address, or credit card. This means that Google will literally no longer accept money from me for any reason. My Google Drive subscription lapsed today and can not be renewed. My Google Music subscription will lapse at the end of the month and can not be renewed. I got into the Google Domains beta and I'm lucky I didn't transfer any domains to them because I likely wouldn't have been able to pay for those as well. I can no longer purchase ANYTHING from the Play store; Not music, not movies, not apps, and not even devices like Glass. I can no longer purchase micro-transactions in the apps I already own. I can never make an NFC payment again.

At this point, literally, my only option to be able to continue as a mobile user and developer is to commit completely to iOS. I have to buy an iPhone*. I have to find a new music subscription service. I have to purchase music and videos either through iTunes or Amazon.

Worst of all, my story is not the only one. The internet is full of stories of users who have been terminated for reason they can not entirely understand. A termination from being an Android Developer is a termination from being a Google user and you are automatically guilty by association even if you have violated no policies yourself.

I am not happy to say the very least.

tl;dr: Termination of your developer account also permanently suspends your Google Wallet.
*Addendum: After further research I could probably use the Amazon app store, something like rdio or Spotify for music, and Dropbox or Skydrive for a Drive replacement, but I'd just really rather not have to do any of that. I could also buy an Amazon or Windows Phone but.....

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

i'm the person who has to buy music

please tell me i'm also the guy who made a thousand one channel youtube apps

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
:yayclod:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

lol owned idiot
e:

flakeloaf posted:

please tell me i'm also the guy who made a thousand one channel youtube apps

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
is Google glass officially dead yet? I haven't heard a story on the news hyping it in literally weeks, and I'm pretty certain nobody actually bought one.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
Glassholes represent the embarrassing side of the Google Intelligence Corporation. Instead of using laptops, they wear their computers on their bodies, broken up into separate modules that hang on the waist, on the back, on the headset. They serve as human surveillance devices, recording everything that happens around them. Nothing looks stupider; these getups are the modern-day equivalent of the slide-rule scabbard or the calculator pouch on the belt, marking the user as belonging to a class that is at once above and far below human society. They are a boon to Hiro because they embody the worst stereotype of the GIC stringer. They draw all the attention. The payoff for this self-imposed ostracism is that you can be in the Metaverse all the time, and gather intelligence all the time.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cold on a Cob posted:

The payoff for this self-imposed ostracism is that you can be in the Metaverse for about an hour, and gather intelligence for about an hour.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

The Management posted:

is Google glass officially dead yet? I haven't heard a story on the news hyping it in literally weeks, and I'm pretty certain nobody actually bought one.
google projects are never really launched, just previewed and beta'd and released for testing. how can you kill a product that was never really alive to begin with?

but yeah. last i/o it got zero mention. the previous i/o had all three head googs wearing it on stage and talking it up like it was the next big thing. ive seen companies announce that theyve given up on supporting the glass because google hasnt told them anything about the api or licensing or prices or availability. it was just a shiny toy and google played with it for a while and got bored and moved on, like an overstimulated four year old. its dead

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
those google boat things they dismantled were gonna be goog glass stores.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

thats mean, i had a Google Barge preorder and they never gave my money back :(

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
i actually want to get a job at google just to see how much garbage i can get away with before the company finally implodes

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
no one was fired over them acqui-hiring the phonebloks. no one. in fact they still bring it up in casual conversation

imagine the poo poo you could pull off there

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Necc0 posted:

no one was fired over them acqui-hiring the phonebloks. no one. in fact they still bring it up in casual conversation

hire me when you do. I have some ideas regarding articulated-toe shoes and self-driving social networks.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Necc0 posted:

phonebloks is still a product with a budget

they are still working on it

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

steve jobs gave larry advice about focus that would make google a competitive threat, and what larry took away from it was to do "spring cleanings". he only understood it at a superficial level and so google will never be a threat cause the mismanagement is deep and institutional. then theres books like "how google works" that eric is shilling everywhere which circlejerks google's management strategy (and will become dogma) thereby ensuring it will never be changed by anyone inside the company lmao.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Necc0 posted:

i actually want to get a job at google just to see how much garbage i can get away with before the company finally implodes

i have a friend that works at goog but he works in their business targeted division and i get the feeling it is a much less ball-pit environment over there.

it amuses me that he and his wife have iphones.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
google has corporate sales teams in my building and they are the usual collection of aggressive advertising sales dudes (deliberate pronoun choice). all use iPhones and would be surprised to hear Google has products other than Adwords

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?
i think only microsoft managers are touchy about employee phone choice

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i wonder if there's anyone at apple who doesn't use an iphone

the only way i could see it happening is if they were like this professor i know who had an iphone and hated the concept of a touch screen phone so much that she sold it and got a flip phone again.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
as is true everywhere, not everyone here gives a gently caress about smartphones. i know a guy who kept his flip phone for years and a woman who's probably still using the free droid her husband got from his job at google

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!

Cold on a Cob posted:

Glassholes represent the embarrassing side of the Google Intelligence Corporation. Instead of using laptops, they wear their computers on their bodies, broken up into separate modules that hang on the waist, on the back, on the headset. They serve as human surveillance devices, recording everything that happens around them. Nothing looks stupider; these getups are the modern-day equivalent of the slide-rule scabbard or the calculator pouch on the belt, marking the user as belonging to a class that is at once above and far below human society. They are a boon to Hiro because they embody the worst stereotype of the GIC stringer. They draw all the attention. The payoff for this self-imposed ostracism is that you can be in the Metaverse all the time, and gather intelligence all the time.

I enjoyed every word of this, cob.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

google has open sourced some of their icons. which actually means google has open sourced some of apple's icons they borrowed.

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

im the technicolour monoliths

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i wasn't aware that apple had invented the graphical representation of a compass or a puzzle piece

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
sometimes google's business plan feels like jacking off in an uncomfortable place like in a public bathroom and you've gotta figure out on the fly how to make it to the sink without getting market failure all over you becaue you've still got a head full of orgasm and so you take your sperm and stick in in your mouth to be spat out for later

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

i wasn't aware that apple had invented the graphical representation of a compass or a puzzle piece

google's puzzle piece has two notches, more than apple's, much like google's phones have more clocks than apple's

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

PleasureKevin posted:

google has open sourced some of their icons. which actually means google has open sourced some of apple's icons they borrowed.

copious pleasure kevin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

sometimes google's business plan feels like jacking off in an uncomfortable place like in a public bathroom and you've gotta figure out on the fly how to make it to the sink without getting market failure all over you becaue you've still got a head full of orgasm and so you take your sperm and stick in in your mouth to be spat out for later

i can honestly say that i don't understand this simile and that is kind of super weird and specific.

• Locked thread