Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

BKPR posted:

Bit disappointed in how the RW sounds comparatively, but I'll still pick one up over the Volcas. There's a handful of things about it I like, but chiefly I can't imagine trying to play the Volcas. I got one of the original Monotrons, and it's the least gratifying thing to play with.

Kinda feel like he did a poor job matching the two though. Volcas always come through louder, and there's definitely a difference in synth filter settings on that first pattern.

Even with the built-in keyboard, the Volcas play so much differently and better than the Monotrons they are not even really comparable. I can understand hating the keys if you hate the Monotron knobs but the Bass doesn't use those for a lot of important features.

I think one of the Volca's strong suits is that you can just pick one up, plug in some headphones and play with it while you're waiting for a plane or bus or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

net work error posted:

Having an actual drum machine makes synths so much more fun.

If you're willing to spend the extra cash I'm a firm believer in the Machinedrum. I don't want to say that it's the be all end all drum machine because that's impossible but it's very good.

fake edit: ^ TR-8 also a fun choice.

I know it's blasphemy but I don't like Roland... not because I think they're poo poo because LOL Roland but because I've never really liked their sounds.

Really the options I'm looking at is the volca beats+soldering iron to fix the horrible snare, an MFB 522, or getting a cheep one and sending it in to get circuit bent.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Bass tuning issues aside, that rhythm wolf's snare is pretty good and the interface looks a lot nicer than the beats. I have the beats annnnd they're too loving small. Good value for 125 but doesn't fit into my workflow which is why I'm selling em

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

Rifter17 posted:

I just got my Rhythm Wolf a few days ago and the bass synth plays out of tune with itself so it's basically useless. I was initially underwhelmed with the drums, but they've grown on me. The pads feel great and I found the sequencer to be lots of fun. I have to send it back to Sweetwater because of the out of tune bass unless there's a way to make it work from home.

Edit: here's a video detailing how out of tune the bass synth is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vczWloosYug

:stonk:

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
It's still OSCtober, right? I covered another video game track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vqdge2ofzw&index=1&list=PL5AAC61D0DF9D715D

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

A MIRACLE posted:

Bass tuning issues aside, that rhythm wolf's snare is pretty good and the interface looks a lot nicer than the beats. I have the beats annnnd they're too loving small. Good value for 125 but doesn't fit into my workflow which is why I'm selling em

Well, I did just pre-order the ipad air2 last night so I'll see what cool poo poo I can get out of it before making my next purchase. On that note the volca sample looks kind of interesting as a drum machine alternative since it's trying to be a clone of early studio samplers which for someone like me that loves 80-90's industrial drum sounds wouldn't be bad.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I got all excited about the volca sample until I realized it has no audio in, only sync over iOS. kinda disappointing

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

A MIRACLE posted:

I got all excited about the volca sample until I realized it has no audio in, only sync over iOS. kinda disappointing

If the app can be linked to my DAW along with it being a simple drag and drop to transfer sounds then it's not a big deal since the ability to only need my phone on me to record things that can go directly into the unit would be worth having to use my phone/tablet to bridge between computer and sampler and then back into the computer. The units should be out shortly though and the reviews for the app will really make or break it for me since if it requires linking to a "cloud" that you have to constantly sign into just so you can move things between an iso device and the unit then gently caress that.

If it's crap then I guess wait for the electribe sampler reviews to come out and see if that will work for me or maybe there will be a decent iso sampler/sequencer that has the same functionality/sound of the early samplers.

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 21, 2014

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

A MIRACLE posted:

First time I hear of the thing existing, but :wtc:

Even just a MicroSD slot would have made the thing great.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I honestly can't understand why that decision was made. Unless they wanna pull in some IAP money on the app and feel like that outweighs all the negatives.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Wait, you really don't understand why the sampler works with a phone? The device with a microphone that most people carry around at all times?

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Guys, I bought another synth. :ohdear:

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

vkeios posted:

Wait, you really don't understand why the sampler works with a phone? The device with a microphone that most people carry around at all times?

Why it works exclusively with a phone, via an application that's only of use as long as they support it, yes.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Nice!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

vkeios posted:

If that was the point, they could have skipped the hardware entirely and made an app called volca sampler.

It just doesn't make any sense.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Flipperwaldt posted:

If that was the point, they could have skipped the hardware entirely and made an app called volca sampler.

It just doesn't make any sense.

Look man, some of us like our knobs and will pay good money for them. :colbert:

That being said, any good iso sampler/sequencers? Samplr looks cool but there's no way to automate/record things for playback so it's out, and outside of gadget and z3ta I'm sort of lost for good ipad music apps. (I already have alchemy and nanostusio)

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

A Winner is Jew posted:

http://www.tunadjgear.com/product/four-tuna-knobs-travel-case/

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

vkeios posted:

I don't have an iPhone. The Volca sampler is going to be a useless hunk of plastic in 10 years when noone else has an iPhone either.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

A Winner is Jew posted:

That being said, any good iso sampler/sequencers? Samplr looks cool but there's no way to automate/record things for playback so it's out, and outside of gadget and z3ta I'm sort of lost for good ipad music apps. (I already have alchemy and nanostusio)

iMachine might still be on sale. Thumbjam will do rudimentary sampler duties AND YOU SHOULD HAVE A COPY ANYWAY. Just got Beat-Machine yesterday, does a pretty good job at lowfi, noisy drum samples. I like launchpad, but the import your own sample feature is 6$. Tenori-on is fun too, but probably better picked up on sale.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I'm pretty sure Korg did that intentionally so that if you wanted a more "serious" sampler that would have lasting use/value you would put up the money for the Electribe sampler.

Or if you don't have an iPhone :smith:

vkeios
May 7, 2007

BKPR posted:

Why it works exclusively with a phone, via an application that's only of use as long as they support it, yes.

Yeah, the exclusive thing is really weird and honestly kind of getting me not interested in this volca; but the idea of the companion app is really appealing to me and I hope Korg or someone else does it better in the future.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

A Winner is Jew posted:

Samplr looks cool but there's no way to automate/record things for playback so it's out

What? It has 3 tracks of automation per part/sample.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Number Two Stunna posted:

I don't have an iPhone. The Volca sampler is going to be a useless hunk of plastic in 10 years when noone else has an iPhone either.
Guys, my new synth doesn't work out of the box with my iPhone 5S, what do I do?!

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

W424 posted:

What? It has 3 tracks of automation per part/sample.

Really?

When did they add this because in everything I've read up on it they never mention it's ability to be automated. Also, can the automation of each track be controlled externally?

minidracula posted:

Guys, my new synth doesn't work out of the box with my iPhone 5S, what do I do?!

Look at this poor who doesn't already have an iphone 6 :smugwizard:

I only have the 5 since I do the phone every 2 years thing

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 22, 2014

W424
Oct 21, 2010

A Winner is Jew posted:

Really?

When did they add this because in everything I've read up on it they never mention it's ability to be automated. Also, can the automation of each track be controlled externally?

It's been there as long as I've had it, I should probably clarify that automation only applies to the playback area but the engines are pretty cool. There's no external control. Still a very noice app.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
Any of you guys have thoughts on gigging with an OP-1?
I am trying to avoid lugging a computer with a DAW, a controller for it, a DAC interface and all of the other junk that entails to venues. It looks like -- as long as you are crafty and keep things minimal -- you could use this thing to back up a small band with drums/bass lines/fun texture.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

MSPain posted:

I am trying to avoid lugging a computer with a DAW, a controller for it, a DAC interface and all of the other junk that entails to venues. It looks like -- as long as you are crafty and keep things minimal -- you could use this thing to back up a small band with drums/bass lines/fun texture.

Well - why not, if it suits your needs live? My entire live setup is an iPad and a couple of controllers.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

MSPain posted:

I know there's a few videos on youtube that show some examples of using the OP-1 live, usually in conjunction with a Kaoss pad or something. It's a shame there's no way to sync over MIDI or else you could pair it with an Electribe for a fantastic portable package.

waneb
Oct 11, 2008
I bought this thing a few weeks ago:

http://www.vintagesynth.com/misc/synergy.php

All I knew initially was that it was very rare and cheap (at least I think it was cheap, there isn't a ton of info about other sales of these). In spite of living in an attic for the past 15 years, it is still completely functional, with the exception of a few sticky keys that I think I can clean up. Best of all, it is the DK Synergy II+ model, so it has MIDI and an RS-232 port for programming patches. I know its a long shot since there were so few of these things in the first place, but has anyone programmed one before? I've got a USB-to-RS-232 adapter on the way to me, and the old CP/M software for it running in an emulator, but it is not at all friendly from the looks of it.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

waneb posted:

All I knew initially was that it was very rare and cheap (at least I think it was cheap, there isn't a ton of info about other sales of these). In spite of living in an attic for the past 15 years, it is still completely functional, with the exception of a few sticky keys that I think I can clean up. Best of all, it is the DK Synergy II+ model, so it has MIDI and an RS-232 port for programming patches. I know its a long shot since there were so few of these things in the first place, but has anyone programmed one before? I've got a USB-to-RS-232 adapter on the way to me, and the old CP/M software for it running in an emulator, but it is not at all friendly from the looks of it.

I have never heard of this before but please let me know if you ever want to sell it :swoon:

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Is it ok to hit pads with drum sticks? I wanna record some rhythm stuff and I think it would be easier and more precise to use sticks instead of tapping with my fingers.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

waneb posted:

Oh my lord. I recall reading a recent thread on vintagesynth forums about some dude restoring the GDS, they might be able to help.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Panniculus Rift posted:

Is it ok to hit pads with drum sticks? I wanna record some rhythm stuff and I think it would be easier and more precise to use sticks instead of tapping with my fingers.

They'll degrade a lot faster and I can't imagine the response would be great. If you want to get some pads on the cheap without getting a brain or trigger-to-midi box, grab one of the old Boss MIDI pads. It's easy to use, has three ins for other trigger pads and a footswitch in. Even cheaper but more awkward to use would be one of the yamaha DDs. I had a DD5 for a while, wasn't awful, but tossed it when I got the boss.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
A sad discovery: The Yamaha EX5 does a better Moog impression than the KingKorg.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Startyde posted:

They'll degrade a lot faster and I can't imagine the response would be great. If you want to get some pads on the cheap without getting a brain or trigger-to-midi box, grab one of the old Boss MIDI pads. It's easy to use, has three ins for other trigger pads and a footswitch in. Even cheaper but more awkward to use would be one of the yamaha DDs. I had a DD5 for a while, wasn't awful, but tossed it when I got the boss.

Alright, thanks.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

sliderule posted:

A sad discovery: The Yamaha EX5 does a better Moog impression than the KingKorg.

:rip: innovative yamaha synths

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
FDSP owns bones. The e-pianos on the EX5 are loving gorgeous. The guitars sound downright real.

But seriously how they went from the EX5 to the Motif is baffling.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

toadee posted:

I have never heard of this before but please let me know if you ever want to sell it :swoon:
What a coincidence. I only learned of this thing yesterday myself, reading about a Kontakt library based on it: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5888114

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

Startyde posted:

:rip: innovative yamaha synths

Yamaha really did make the best synthesizers. The last real synth they made was Vocaloid, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Number Two Stunna posted:

Yamaha really did make the best synthesizers. The last real synth they made was Vocaloid, right?

fs1r