Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I am trying to install CentOS 7 in VMware player and when I get to the part where it asks me to install a network, it doesn't detect any network adapters. I'm finding when I get the install completed that this breaks yum and I can't seem to do anything. I am pretty new to the whole Linux thing, I was wondering if anyone has had this problem and if there's a way I can tweak the VM settings?

This is the error I'm getting:

Could not retrieve mirrorlist http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=7&arch=x86_64&repo=os error was
14: curl#6 - "Could not resolve host: mirrorlist.centos.org; Unknown error"

Big Bowie Bonanza fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Oct 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Alright, I figured it out. When I was installing it I picked other Linux 3.x kernel and it worked, instead of picking CentOS.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

FordPRefectLL posted:

Alright, I figured it out. When I was installing it I picked other Linux 3.x kernel and it worked, instead of picking CentOS.

What adapter are you using?

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
The situation: I'm setting up several servers on AWS for running our genomics software and web services. Because they're all separate systems that don't talk to each other, I had the bright idea: Doing user accounts for all of these different systems is going to be a major pain. We really need a centralised user management service ...

The result: holy crap, LDAP is complicated. I'm not looking for it to manage shell login or mail, I just want to manage the users centrally. But I'm being lead down a windy path of objects / organisations / entries / names with all sorts of details that I don't understand.

So:

* Should I persist?
* Is there a good dumbies guide to installing LDAP?
* What's a good (and simple) UI for LDAP management?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

outlier posted:

The situation: I'm setting up several servers on AWS for running our genomics software and web services. Because they're all separate systems that don't talk to each other, I had the bright idea: Doing user accounts for all of these different systems is going to be a major pain. We really need a centralised user management service ...

The result: holy crap, LDAP is complicated. I'm not looking for it to manage shell login or mail, I just want to manage the users centrally. But I'm being lead down a windy path of objects / organisations / entries / names with all sorts of details that I don't understand.

So:

* Should I persist?

Two options:

Learn how LDAP works.

Or...

Use AD/IPA. Do this.

Megaman
May 8, 2004
I didn't read the thread BUT...

outlier posted:

So:

* Should I persist?

LDAP is not complicated, if you do some google searches you can find some pretty good guides for how to set up a dumb simple setup for your specific operating system

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

evol262 posted:

Use AD/IPA. Do this.

Agreeing with this. FreeIPA is supposed to be excellent, but I haven't had a chance to implement it myself.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Another interesting cloud bullshit question.

I have an EC2 instance running from a custom Ubuntu 12.04 AMI on EC2. SSH authorized_keys is never getting generated by cloud-init, so I can't log into the machine. I detached the EBS volume, attached it to another host, chrooted into it, and (after doing an rm -rf /var/lib/cloud/*) ran cloud-init start successfully from there, generating authorized_keys. Any idea what the hell might be up with the real instance? Going off of cloud-init.log, it runs, it detects the EC2 metadata, it doesn't generate the thing. It does other things.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009

outlier posted:

Another option is to have your configuration management software (Chef / Puppet / Salt / Ansible) do it. I'm not sure if this is a good choice, any thoughts?

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009
Quick question: How do the various public cloud provider images pull their Chef / Puppet config? Do they all use cloud-init or do some use something else?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

hackedaccount posted:

Quick question: How do the various public cloud provider images pull their Chef / Puppet config? Do they all use cloud-init or do some use something else?
cloud-init is typically just used to set server configuration parameters (server address, client key/validation key, run list, etc.). If you're looking to use masterless Puppet or Chef-Solo, you'll need to bake in your own distribution mechanism (or use one provided by something like CloudFormation).

The more I use cloud-init, the more I hate it and end up just baking this poo poo into predictable startup scripts, though. It does 80% of the things I want it to and I end up just maintaining the parts in two different places if I try to make it work.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

hackedaccount posted:

Another option is to have your configuration management software (Chef / Puppet / Salt / Ansible) do it. I'm not sure if this is a good choice, any thoughts?
It depends on the user backend you're working with, really. LDAP is pretty ubiquitous for anything that doesn't just use OAuth2 nowadays. Otherwise, you might have the same usernames/passwords, but some of them will be in PostgreSQL databases with sensible hashing, some will be in SQLite with some god-awful homespun cryptography, etc. and you have to screw with munging everything into the right output format.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I have Linux Mint 17 and installed KDE alongside Cinammon. Whenever I start up Nemo in KDE, when I right-click on the desktop I do not get the menu that allows me to add Panels, but Nemo's folder context menu instead. The only way I can get the right context menu back is to end the nemo process in System Monitor. How can I fix this bug?

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

outlier posted:

So:

* Should I persist?

This AWS service may interest you, managed AD by AWS.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Baron Bifford posted:

I have Linux Mint 17 and installed KDE alongside Cinammon. Whenever I start up Nemo in KDE, when I right-click on the desktop I do not get the menu that allows me to add Panels, but Nemo's folder context menu instead. The only way I can get the right context menu back is to end the nemo process in System Monitor. How can I fix this bug?

When launching memo use the flag --no-desktop

I had this problem with openbox.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Thanks for that. It's funny. I installed KDE today to what it was like. I opened a nemo session, since that is what I'm familiar with. Then I removed the Panel along the bottom of the screen. I could bring it back because of that context menu problem I mentioned. I was forced to power off my computer to get back control.

Better stick to Dolphin when in KDE, then.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 22, 2014

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

evol262 posted:

Two options:

Learn how LDAP works.

Or...

Use AD/IPA. Do this.

Whew. I'd hoped there was a humane solution out there. Thanks!

Megaman
May 8, 2004

outlier posted:

The humane solution is learn something. You can't really implement something that's difficult without understand at least something comparably as difficult. It's either learn LDAP in order to install and configure OpenLDAP, or learn Puppet or some other configuration management tool to do it for you, which can be the same learning curve.

It's like asking if there's any easier way to learn quantum physics other than actually learning quantum physics. I'm not comparing basic IT to quantum physics, but you get the point.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Megaman posted:

The humane solution is learn something. You can't really implement something that's difficult without understand at least something comparably as difficult. It's either learn LDAP in order to install and configure OpenLDAP, or learn Puppet or some other configuration management tool to do it for you, which can be the same learning curve.

It's like asking if there's any easier way to learn quantum physics other than actually learning quantum physics. I'm not comparing basic IT to quantum physics, but you get the point.

Honestly, OpenLDAP is mostly useless unless you want to roll everything from scratch. You're going to want to kill yourself when you try to get (Windows|Solaris|OSX) authenticating against it with Kerberos and it gives cryptic error messages leaving you scouring the internet for an LDIF that might work and apply cleanly.

Learn LDAP. From IPA or AD or DSEE or something else which comes with a sane out-of-box configuration that you're not trying to learn by fire. LDAP isn't that hard, but it's a binary protocol that's hard to play with on the wire, is reasonably complex, is full of OIDs that may not make any sense, uses prefix notation that can be hard to get a handle on in the beginning, etc.

Learn LDAP with ldapsearch from a working directory in order to extend it and do what you want. Even understanding how LDAP works, troubleshooting SASL and GSSAPI and all the other bits that you want centralized auth to handle (like encrypted sessions and single sign on and eventually automounted homedirs from directory attributes, and..) sucks. The world uses AD, IPA, and other LDAP frontends for a reason. There's no reason to spend time in fiddly bullshit (like trying to get a usable OpenLDAP config that does anything more complex than talking to mod_ldap or pam_ldap) for centralized infrastructure.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

outlier posted:

You see my link about the AWS Directory service? That's the easiest method, if you have less than 1000 objects it'll only run you $36/mo.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

e: nm

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I have Linux Mint 17 and have noticed that apt-get usually does not install for me the latest available version of software. For instance, right now it offers Blender 2.69 when the current version is 2.72. The same is true for their nVidia drivers: sudo apt-get install nvidia-current gives me v304, while the latest on nVidia's website is at v340. These out-of-date drivers caused visual bugs in some of my games. Who maintains the apt-get library and why is it not up-to-date?

Megaman
May 8, 2004

Baron Bifford posted:

I have Linux Mint 17 and have noticed that apt-get usually does not install for me the latest available version of software. For instance, right now it offers Blender 2.69 when the current version is 2.72. The same is true for their nVidia drivers: sudo apt-get install nvidia-current gives me v304, while the latest on nVidia's website is at v340. These out-of-date drivers caused visual bugs in some of my games. Who maintains the apt-get library and why is it not up-to-date?

You can always use debian sid, or just download the latest and install it.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Baron Bifford posted:

Unless you are using a rolling release system (Arch, Gentoo) most packages have a set version for each release of the distro. Debian stable for example only gets security patches and bug fixes AFAIK.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Megaman posted:

You can always use debian sid, or just download the latest and install it.
With regards to Blender, its website offers a tarball that you just unzip to some directory and works out-of-the-box, which is... kinda great in a certain way but feels inelegant.

So I've been reading the Debian website and, following the advice on this page and added the following line to my /etc/apt/sources.list file:

deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian sid main

I then tried to install blender (apt-get install blender) but it failed.

I then tried download the .deb package from https://packages.debian.org/sid/blender but I get a "Dependency is not satisfiable" error

keyvin posted:

Unless you are using a rolling release system (Arch, Gentoo) most packages have a set version for each release of the distro. Debian stable for example only gets security patches and bug fixes AFAIK.
This is odd to me. Why do they do this?

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Oct 23, 2014

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Baron Bifford posted:

With regards to Blender, its website offers a tarball that you just unzip to some directory and works out-of-the-box, which is... kinda great in a certain way but feels inelegant.
tarballs aren't generally used because it's very difficult to handle dependencies or do anything else a package manager should do.

Baron Bifford posted:

This is odd to me. Why do they do this?

Generally, rolling releases (Arch, Gentoo, Fedora Rawhide, etc) have iffy stability and QA. Saying "no, we're going to stick with libfoo-1.2.3" lets you control the amount of breakage that you get. If foobar-1.0 compiles against that, but foobar-1.1 doesn't, either try to backport the changes or just ship foobar-1.1 in the next release, because updating libfoo to 1.2.4 is likely to have side effects in other programs, and now updating to libfoo-1.2.4 so foobar-1.1 works makes cucrux-2.0 break because it needed libfoo-1.2.3 and doesn't work with libfoo-1.2.4 yet, and...

This is why they do this. Getting a stable release set is surprisingly difficult, and rolling releases inevitably break.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

evol262 posted:

tarballs aren't generally used because it's very difficult to handle dependencies or do anything else a package manager should do.

Generally, rolling releases (Arch, Gentoo, Fedora Rawhide, etc) have iffy stability and QA. Saying "no, we're going to stick with libfoo-1.2.3" lets you control the amount of breakage that you get. If foobar-1.0 compiles against that, but foobar-1.1 doesn't, either try to backport the changes or just ship foobar-1.1 in the next release, because updating libfoo to 1.2.4 is likely to have side effects in other programs, and now updating to libfoo-1.2.4 so foobar-1.1 works makes cucrux-2.0 break because it needed libfoo-1.2.3 and doesn't work with libfoo-1.2.4 yet, and...

This is why they do this. Getting a stable release set is surprisingly difficult, and rolling releases inevitably break.
Basically this. With Debian (stable and to some degree, testing) and other non-rolling release systems, you're trading recentness for overall stability. For servers and other low-touch systems, this is great because you can generally just set it and forget it. With desktops, it's generally the opposite. People want the latest software and are generally less concerned with stability.

If you're comfortable having to either fix something on your system, or dedicate some time to ensuring your system is going to be okay (like today's Microcode update on Arch) then a rolling-release system is going to be fine. Otherwise, stick with Debian stable/testing or similar, as you'll likely never need to do much to it once it's set up.

unruly fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Oct 23, 2014

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Baron Bifford posted:

So I've been reading the Debian website and, following the advice on this page and added the following line to my /etc/apt/sources.list file:

deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian sid main

I then tried to install blender (apt-get install blender) but it failed.

I then tried download the .deb package from https://packages.debian.org/sid/blender but I get a "Dependency is not satisfiable" error

I thought you said you were running mint, so adding debian sid's repository to your sources.list might not be the best thing to do.

If you are running debian stable you need to distupgrade to testing, then distupgrade again to sid. It is easiest to do this before you pick anything in tasksel so the number of packages to be upgraded is minimal.

Edit: There is a backports repository as well, but things have always gotten kinda wonky when I've used it. If you run sid, set up a seperate partition for /home. You can re-install easily without losing a lot of your files.

SYSV Fanfic fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 23, 2014

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
You can always get the latest software with Windows.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Baron Bifford posted:

Run windows then. Stallman didn't put a gun to your head to install a FOSS system.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I dual-boot. I'm basically using Linux for shits and giggles.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Baron Bifford posted:

Windows is a mostly fixed platform. Developers only really have to target it (and potentially some .NET stuff if they're using it) in order for a given piece of software to work. With Linux, you're looking at a generally fixed kernel, but different versions of basically all the development tools all the way down the chain. Much of the time there isn't a problem, but sometimes there are huge compatibility between different versions of a library or tool. Additionally each distribution specifies where software and libraries are stored, if the developer hard-coded any of that information, or a tool expects to find something, then things can/will break.

It's not that you can't get the latest software on Linux, too. You can just download the binaries (or compile from source) and see if they work, or if you want it to be more 'elegant' and have it through your package manager, then wait for the maintainers to do it -- or better yet, get involved and see if you can help them. Sometimes packaging something (like Firefox, KDE or GNOME) is a huge pain in the rear end. The maintainers generally don't get paid to do it, and they usually have to do it during their off-work hours.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Baron Bifford posted:

Think of Windows as one specific distribution, say Ubuntu.

With Ubuntu, you always get the latest software available for it almost by definition. With Ubuntu, you also get the ability to run software from other operating systems like Debian, or Mint, or Arch, or whatever, but you've got to do some work to get dependencies worked out.

There's lots of software on Windows that has a counterpart on OS X that is a version or two ahead (or behind), depending on developer priorities.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Thermopyle posted:

Think of Windows as one specific distribution, say Ubuntu.

With Ubuntu, you always get the latest software available for it almost by definition. With Ubuntu, you also get the ability to run software from other operating systems like Debian, or Mint, or Arch, or whatever, but you've got to do some work to get dependencies worked out.

There's lots of software on Windows that has a counterpart on OS X that is a version or two ahead (or behind), depending on developer priorities.

Can't stop staring at your new AV.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Baron Bifford posted:

Don't take this the wrong way, but nobody cares in this thread.

Some projects host their own repositories so you can get the latest version of their software. This works.

In general, though, OSX ships all their libraries with the application (the entire Foo.app is a directory which contains everything it needs inside it). Windows ships everything with, which used to be problematic, but is kind of better with WinSxS. If I go ship Foo.exe on Windows, I can lump my DLLs into \Program Files\MyApp\tons_of_bullshit.dll. \Program Files\OtherApp\ also has tons_of_bullshit.dll, maybe. Windows ships tons of copies of the libraries all over the place with every application, which is why "you can always get the latest".

UNIX (and Linux) traditionally don't do this. There's some (mostly enterprise-y) software which does, usually the kind of stuff you untar to /opt and deal with (Tivoli, Oracle middleware, etc). But not the stuff in your package manager.

This is an ongoing discussion in the community (and in this thread, every 10 pages or so), because everybody sort of knows that doing this to save disk space in TYOOL 2014 is kind of unnecessary and does more harm than good. But nobody's proposed a reasonable solution that'll get mass uptake yet. Soon, maybe. But not now.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

evol262 posted:

This is an ongoing discussion in the community (and in this thread, every 10 pages or so), because everybody sort of knows that doing this to save disk space in TYOOL 2014 is kind of unnecessary and does more harm than good. But nobody's proposed a reasonable solution that'll get mass uptake yet. Soon, maybe. But not now.
It's also kind of like the DRY development method. Why repeat libraries, especially with little change between versions, when you can just package slightly older software to 'fit'? It's not a particularly good argument, but whatever.

There is some interesting discussion going on about moving forward in this arena that sounds a lot like the MacOS "Fat Binaries" style of management: http://0pointer.net/blog/revisiting-how-we-put-together-linux-systems.html

Of course this is way early and probably going to stir up a much larger flamewar (larger than Emacs/Vim/SystemD/SysVInit), but at least it's a ways off.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Baron Bifford posted:

I dual-boot. I'm basically using Linux for shits and giggles.
Same but with Ubuntu 14, and I'm rapidly finding my priority reversing. I started off with Linux for fun and Windows most of the time, but I seem to have gradually shifted to Ubuntu 90% of the time and Windows only when I need a program that absolutely will not run under Linux.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Speaking about it, Im in need of replacing my Mint 15 here, what distro would you guys recommend for having the latest ATI drivers working without much fuckery?

I remember it was drat hard to get the latest version working here and then I had even more issues getting it to work with steam.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

unruly posted:

It's also kind of like the DRY development method. Why repeat libraries, especially with little change between versions, when you can just package slightly older software to 'fit'? It's not a particularly good argument, but whatever.

There is some interesting discussion going on about moving forward in this arena that sounds a lot like the MacOS "Fat Binaries" style of management: http://0pointer.net/blog/revisiting-how-we-put-together-linux-systems.html

Of course this is way early and probably going to stir up a much larger flamewar (larger than Emacs/Vim/SystemD/SysVInit), but at least it's a ways off.

We talked about this a few pages ago. I like Poettering's ideas. I think btrfs is a little unstable to propose a workable solution for now, but there's no reason this couldn't be cross-applied to LVs or another similar solution.

At least emacs/vim are comparable. The SysV protagonists usually can't name a single positive thing it has going for it other than "it's been done that way for a long time".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

evol262 posted:

Don't take this the wrong way, but nobody cares in this thread.
Then I suppose I should thank you for your forbearance, because this has been educational for me.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Same but with Ubuntu 14, and I'm rapidly finding my priority reversing. I started off with Linux for fun and Windows most of the time, but I seem to have gradually shifted to Ubuntu 90% of the time and Windows only when I need a program that absolutely will not run under Linux.
You know the real reason I stick mostly with Mint? GRUBS auto-boots to Linux after a just a few seconds and I'm too busy getting a beer out of the fridge.