Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Crabtree posted:

Well Over the Garden Wall is a animated miniseries with apparently only 10 episodes so there is a little more to it than we've seen. But because its made by Patrick McHale and he's worked in FlapJack and the first five seasons of ADVENTURE TIME, including writing three STUPID INDIE SONGS FOR THAT SHOW than it must be objectively terrible.

Loosen your jeans Billy. You shouldn't be upset that some people are annoyed by twee twinkle music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Goons in the kids' show thread are literally villains from a kids' show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6eYBZHvFG4

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Ariza posted:

Loosen your jeans Billy. You shouldn't be upset that some people are annoyed by twee twinkle music.

Oh don't worry, I'll check out the silly cartoon for you so no one has to subject themselves to horror that is music that isn't 30 year old 80s pop.

Doctor Soup
Nov 4, 2009

I have nothing but confidence in you, and very little of that.
That's cool that they're doing it as a miniseries. Don't see nearly enough of those in the US, it's really the best way to make a tight story with TV.

e: I'm not sure how you got "only likes 80s pop" from "is tired of twee music."

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Doctor Soup posted:

That's cool that they're doing it as a miniseries. Don't see nearly enough of those in the US, it's really the best way to make a tight story with TV.

e: I'm not sure how you got "only likes 80s pop" from "is tired of twee music."

I was making a joke about Regular Show.

Also, Clarance is trying to cheer up a super depressed Peanut character. This is amazing.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Can I get a reminder of what happened to the Skyler guy who created Clarence? If I recall correctly, he got fired for sexually harassing a woman, then it turned out he was a hack who didn't actually do that much for the show and some other guys are now in charge of producing the show. Is that correct?

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

horriblePencilist posted:

Can I get a reminder of what happened to the Skyler guy who created Clarence? If I recall correctly, he got fired for sexually harassing a woman, then it turned out he was a hack who didn't actually do that much for the show and some other guys are now in charge of producing the show. Is that correct?

That was the word, but the other gossip was he actually did do a lot of work and the guy saying he didn't was himself a hack trying to get more credit than he deserved. It's all a bunch of craziness and only the people involved know what really happened, but the internet has to be the internet.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Ariza posted:

That was the word, but the other gossip was he actually did do a lot of work and the guy saying he didn't was himself a hack trying to get more credit than he deserved. It's all a bunch of craziness and only the people involved know what really happened, but the internet has to be the internet.

One thing that is consistent is that he was a major creep though.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

horriblePencilist posted:

Here's a news article: http://www.cartoonbrew.com/ideas-co...ons-101061.html

And a link from a friend of his explaining how nuts he was: http://jeffrowegifs.tumblr.com/post/90700109592/skyler-page

And some more clarification from Emily Partridge, the woman he attacked: http://empartridge.tumblr.com/post/90744944014/oh-my-god-what-is-happening-masterpost

The grossest part of the story is that it sounds like a bunch of people who work for Cartoon Network went to school with Page and knew he might do something bad:

quote:

I’ve heard a lot about how people just assumed that girls knew to stay away from him. I didn’t. I hadn’t even met him before; a lot of us didn’t go to CalArts, guys, and we need to work harder to keep each other safe. a lot of other women have come to me in private with really similar stories. we need to stop letting this happen.

It does sound like he did more work on the show than he could handle as a young guy developing a mental disease, but that he had his responsibilities taken away over time to the point where he wasn't doing very much. It sounds like his "reputation" prior to going nuts was being disrespectful to and groping women, but there's not as much information about that.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Jack Gladney posted:

Here's a news article: http://www.cartoonbrew.com/ideas-co...ons-101061.html

And a link from a friend of his explaining how nuts he was: http://jeffrowegifs.tumblr.com/post/90700109592/skyler-page

And some more clarification from Emily Partridge, the woman he attacked: http://empartridge.tumblr.com/post/90744944014/oh-my-god-what-is-happening-masterpost

The grossest part of the story is that it sounds like a bunch of people who work for Cartoon Network went to school with Page and knew he might do something bad:

It does sound like he did more work on the show than he could handle as a young guy developing a mental disease, but that he had his responsibilities taken away over time to the point where he wasn't doing very much. It sounds like his "reputation" prior to going nuts was being disrespectful to and groping women, but there's not as much information about that.

Unfortunately, cartoonbrew.com is basically Gawker for cartoons and tumblr is tumblr. It doesn't take much to ruin a person's life anymore.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ariza posted:

Unfortunately, cartoonbrew.com is basically Gawker for cartoons and tumblr is tumblr. It doesn't take much to ruin a person's life anymore.

Emily Partridge is the woman he attacked. That she used one blogging platform over another doesn't really say anything about the content.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Crabtree posted:

I was making a joke about Regular Show.

Also, Clarance is trying to cheer up a super depressed Peanut character. This is amazing.

That was the first episode of Clarence I've ever seen. Is he usually such an rear end in a top hat? Because he definitely came off as a real jerk.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

That was the first episode of Clarence I've ever seen. Is he usually such an rear end in a top hat? Because he definitely came off as a real jerk.

Clarence was an rear end in a top hat? Jeff is usually the only rear end in a top hat and only in a creepy/selfish kinda way. Clarence is always the nicest guy to everybody. My daughter is going to be disappointed.

Ariza fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Oct 18, 2014

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

It's not that he was being an rear end in a top hat, it's just that he's just so stupid that even with the very best intentions he's rarely helpful, and never without serious collateral damage.

Why did you feel like he was being an rear end in a top hat? He really didn't give me that impression.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

TwoPair posted:

All I remember about Transformers Energon/Cybertron is that they were supposed to share the same continuity with Armada, but yet the Transformers got redesigned in each one and between each series they were always looking for a different Macguffin and never mentioned the old series' macguffins at all. Like, after the first series suddenly no one gave a poo poo about mini-cons even though they were like, the entire point of the war in Armada.

The MSJ posted:

The original Japanese versions of Armada, Energon and Cybertron were unrelated cartoons. The English dub made them part of the same continuity for some reason.

Interestingly, Hasbro is apparently a fan of Armada because this year they have toys based on Armada versions of Starscream and Megatron. They even made the Starscream in the current IDW comics change his body to look similar to the toy. Armada Megatron I only know for his Minicon-activated giant belt buckle gatling laser attack:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFG3iuzcTRs

Acne Rain posted:

armada was pretty lovely and pretty low budget anime, energon was irredeemably garbage, cybertron was still low budget and very anime but it had some fans at the time for not being quite as horrible as the two previous.

Animated and Prime are love it or hate it affairs. You cannot trust anyone's opinion but your own here. They both have vocal detractors and vocal fans. Try the first season of either and see if it's for you if you must watch a transformers cartoon.
Okay wait, Armada and Energon are absolutely in continuity, they share characters and everything.

Cybertron is the unrelated one where they threw in a few lines to tie it to Armada/Energon for no reason.

Anyway Armada isn't very good but it is amusing as a snapshot of 2000's era toyetic animeness, such as Megatron's transforming tank canon belt buckle video above. It also resulted in a few popular toy designs, such as the giant Armada Unicron.

Energon is actually a pretty big improvement over Armada somehow in that if your kid wanted to watch Transformers you could stand to watch it with them without wanting to kill yourself. All the annoying kid characters made to appeal to kids are grown up now and have practical roles in the transformers-military-industrial-complex and the minicons are no longer pokemon. The highlight is probably Omega Supreme and Megatron/Galvatron going Gurren Laggan sized and fighting amongst galaxies for ~magical energon reasons~. Also all the transformers animation went from cheap anime to cheap CG.

Cybertron went full cheap CG and might in fact be the first transformers series since Beast Wars to do so, which is kind of notable I guess. Also features Cybertron/Primus transforming into a giant humanoid robot because of course it can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_BpUG41BOM

Also the new series being called Robots in Disguise is kind of odd since we already had a series called that... http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Transformers:_Robots_in_Disguise_(2001_cartoon)

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Oct 19, 2014

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I remember liking Armada okay, but it was also just a thing I had on before school in the morning so it's plausible I missed its flaws.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Cardboard Box A posted:

Also the new series being called Robots in Disguise is kind of odd since we already had a series called that... http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Transformers:_Robots_in_Disguise_(2001_cartoon)

I think the Japanese name for the 2001 Robots in Disguise was "Car Robots" or something like that.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Holy poo poo, I'm so late to this party but Gumball is amazing. I just saw "The Sweater" and "The Internet." I think I loved the former more because I have a soft spot for 80s pop culture riffs, but the latter was an amazing basic-level takedown of Internet culture.

It reminds me of The Fairly Oddparents except with a little more on its mind than goofy voices and breakneck pacing. I'm sure if I watch enough of it it'll get old just like Oddparents did, but at the very least, those were two good episodes of a comedy cartoon.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The recent episode where Penny let her true self come out of her shell (literally) was particularly amazing.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

axleblaze posted:

The recent episode where Penny let her true self come out of her shell (literally) was particularly amazing.

I saw glimpses of it and it LOOKED amazing. I also saw glimpses of other episodes and I like that they made the the mom just as crazy as the rest of the family. Just a fantastic cast overall.

Leximancer
Oct 24, 2010
Gumball is fast approaching a singularity of postmodern pastiche, inclusive of the original cartoon-sitcom premise, and treating it like a Twilight Zone-like phenomenon that is only mitigated by spending time with your weird family. Insidious, but I'm loving every minute of it.

Leximancer fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 21, 2014

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010
I got all sad again that Young Justice got cancelled. Are there any decent DC cartoons out now, or on the radar?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Teen Titans GO! is great, but probably the exact opposite of what you're looking for. They'll probably announce a new batman cartoon next comic con, but other than that, i'd suggest rewatching Justice League or something.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
I think the thing is now that DC has two decent live-action TV shows and maybe soon to be a third, so it's impossible for them to have a decent serious cartoon at the same time.

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Argue posted:

Goons in the kids' show thread are literally villains from a kids' show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6eYBZHvFG4

Thanks for the loving flash back

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJwp_-3V2GM

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I really like gumball.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Motherfucker posted:

I really like gumball.

It really is amazing. The anti music aneurysm survivors in this thread should shut up and watch more of it. Giving the characters relationships actually makes the show funnier.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
I adore Gumball, especially its little nods and homages to the 80s and 90s.

One of my favorite scenes is when Darwin and Gumball get help from an elderly floppy disk to get a video off the Internet, and the floppy disk tells them he's been doing this since the 80s.

"You're from the future?"

"No, the 1980s."

"There was a 19?"

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Gumball owns hard as gently caress

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Gumball is a show that pretty much gets noticeably better each season. There are still some weak episodes here and there but when it hits, my God, it hits it right out of the park.

Incidentally one of the best episodes will be on in about ten minutes.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is it the one where Richard becomes a pizza delivery guy

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Acquire Currency! posted:

Is it the one where Richard becomes a pizza delivery guy

That is a very good one, but I'm referring to the one where the family plays a board game that Darwin and Gumball made.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

axleblaze posted:

That is a very good one, but I'm referring to the one where the family plays a board game that Darwin and Gumball made.

Dodg r dar

*woooooommmmmmmmp*
What was that?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Actually it's Dodj or Daar :eng101:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

axleblaze posted:

Eat 100 hot dogs in a minute.

That's not a challenge, that's Tuesday!

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

TwoPair posted:

That's not a challenge, that's Tuesday!

OR IS IT?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Either voice actor are getting really good, or there is a lot more child voice actors than there was when I was growing up. I've tried to do some Google-Fu but I'm not having much luck on finding voice credits or the ages of these kids. I assume that confirms that they are in fact kids.

I'm fascinated by this process; if they are kids, are they "actors" playing younger than what they actually are or is it literally a four-ish year old behind the microphone?

Humf - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv5g4-O8qLg&
Small Potatoes - http://youtu.be/W-n2-4UuknI?t=32s
Peppa Pig - http://youtu.be/wT0695mj6F4?t=3m52s

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

xcore posted:

Either voice actor are getting really good, or there is a lot more child voice actors than there was when I was growing up. I've tried to do some Google-Fu but I'm not having much luck on finding voice credits or the ages of these kids. I assume that confirms that they are in fact kids.

I'm fascinated by this process; if they are kids, are they "actors" playing younger than what they actually are or is it literally a four-ish year old behind the microphone?

Humf - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv5g4-O8qLg&
Small Potatoes - http://youtu.be/W-n2-4UuknI?t=32s
Peppa Pig - http://youtu.be/wT0695mj6F4?t=3m52s

I don't know about the stuff in the UK, but having actors that are either the same age as the character or are actually kids has been going on for some time now in the US starting with shows like Arthur and Hey Arnold, continuing with shows like Chowder, Adventure Time, and Steven Universe.

In some cases like Adventure Time (and I'm assuming Steven Universe too), the voice actor is kept right through puberty and the animated character is allowed to grow right along with them.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Speaking of Adventure Time, where is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Russel in Up was not only voiced by an actual child but an actual asian-american, which is a twofer in animation.