Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Ah yes, I too, create personas in order to attack my peers and accuse them of being racists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
My understanding is she was just an angry young person with a really angry review blog - she didn't have any peers, no professional identity, it wasn't a cover for anything or a way to launch secret attacks. She grew up, wanted to move on, and got involved in writing.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I just finished The Dark Defiles. I'll probably have more to post about it later, but for now I'm just going to say... What a loving mess.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

General Battuta posted:

My understanding is she was just an angry young person with a really angry review blog - she didn't have any peers, no professional identity, it wasn't a cover for anything or a way to launch secret attacks. She grew up, wanted to move on, and got involved in writing.

She was writing the blog while publishing fiction though.

mania
Sep 9, 2004

General Battuta posted:

Ha, she's been a angry young person for a decade now, being a vicious rear end in a top hat to authors and people who like different things from her.

She was still blogging as Requires Hate while Benjanun Sriduangkaew was playing nice to the authors she had previously attacked as RH. And before she was outed, she was encouraging her peers to accuse the people linking the Benjanun Sriduangkaew and Requires Hate identities together as racists.

But nah let's make excuses, after all she was only a young person when she did these things.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
This sounds like a pretty ugly situation all around! I regret commenting.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Amberskin posted:

That looks interesting. Where should I begin? I think Gridlinked was the first published novel in that universe, but cronologically the first seems to be "Prador Moon". Now, here is the usual dilemma: should I read the books in the order they were written, or in their "in-universe" chronology?

I read Prador Moon then Hilldiggers, then in in-universe chronological order more or less (although Shadows of the Scorpion was last). It didn't suffer for it.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Neurosis posted:

I just finished The Dark Defiles. I'll probably have more to post about it later, but for now I'm just going to say... What a loving mess.

Curious to see your followup; I liked it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ravenkult posted:

Ah yes, I too, create personas in order to attack my peers and accuse them of being racists.

With Tumblr making that sort of angry ranting more out there than ever I wonder how many more people are going to be put in a similar position in the next say, 5 or so years.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

coyo7e posted:

This is patently false. In Harry Potter a kid deiscovers he has magic powers, goes to boarding school, and solves a mystery.

You're actually giving HP1 too much credit there. Harry discovers he's a wizard, goes to boarding school and his friends solve a mystery while he watches. Harry is a complete cypher in the first book, which is probably why it became so popular - he has no personality traits to interfere with the child reader's wish fulfilment fantasies.

mania posted:

Ha, she's been a angry young person for a decade now, being a vicious rear end in a top hat to authors and people who like different things from her.

Nobody is an angry young person for a decade. She's a vicious rear end in a top hat who also failed to grow up.

regularizer
Mar 5, 2012

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

I just got to the point in City of Stairs where Shara and Sigrud meet the mhovost (mid book spoiler) and :stonk: that's the poo poo of nightmares

Just wait until the next one. Sigrud is such a badass Viking.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

CaptCommy posted:

It's the latter. It's the first book in the Dagger and Coin series: http://www.danielabraham.com/books-by-daniel-abraham/the-dagger-and-the-coin/
Thanks for the clarification,I actually read that book but skimming 2 or 3 pages wasn't enough to recognize it, and I didn't even notice the title LOL.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Jedit posted:

You're actually giving HP1 too much credit there. Harry discovers he's a wizard, goes to boarding school and his friends solve a mystery while he watches. Harry is a complete cypher in the first book, which is probably why it became so popular - he has no personality traits to interfere with the child reader's wish fulfilment fantasies.
Jeez, I never reread it but thinking back you're totally on the mark. Harry never really forms any opinions outside of "this rich bully is someone I do not like" and really doesn't do jack except for introduce himself to the magical menagerie.

While agreeing with"holy poo poo Sanderson dumped a tl: dr on me", the book covers the introduction of several characters and puts them through some crucibles where they learn new skills and perspectives.

That said,there were a couple times during the audiobook when I was wondering "Good lord how much more of this book could there possibly be!?"

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Oct 21, 2014

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Harry's pathetic to the point of me once arguing that the books don't have plots, just stuff happening around the main character.

General Battuta posted:

Seems reasonable to me. She posted this too.

Benjanun Sriduangkaew is a really good writer, I've quite liked her short fiction. Sharp, poetic space opera with really keen images and a post-cyberpunk edge. She was up for the Campbell last year.

Well, you can be a good writer and a bad person. And that apology doesn't look as convincing to me as Sriduangkaew thinks it does, or as good as the ROTYH one. (E: Sorry, I did see your other comments, and don't want to start a fight. Just... stating the obvious.)

How's the novel coming on by the way?

Safety Biscuits fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 21, 2014

mania
Sep 9, 2004

General Battuta posted:

This sounds like a pretty ugly situation all around! I regret commenting.

Sorry if it came off like I was accusing you of making excuses for her. Not many people know of her long and nasty online history and she and her allies are trying their best to downplay her shitiness.

Jedit posted:

Nobody is an angry young person for a decade. She's a vicious rear end in a top hat who also failed to grow up.

I was kinda roundaboutly trying to make the same point. There have been people making excuses for her by saying she was young when she was on LJ/blogging as Requires Hate. But like I said, she's been like this for a decade (and gotten worse over the years), so even if she was young when she started, she's definitely old enough now to know she's wrong.

And anyway, she hasn't changed one bit, despite what she claims in her apologies. Elizabeth Bear commented on it:

Elizabeth Bear posted:

I mean no harm to Bee/RH, but I do not believe her apologies are authentic. There's been no sign of any change in her behavior--reports of ongoing and *current* harassment and bullying, mostly directed toward women and poc, are hard to ignore--and several women of color personally known to me as friends and colleagues have confirmed in private communication that there's been no recent change in her behavior except publicly.

JackKnight
May 10, 2014

Tres'Tria
Has anyone read 'Metaplanetary' & 'Superluminal' by Tony Daniel? Those two books are pretty much my favorite out of all the books I have read. Can't get much better than a semi sentient wild Jeep that consistently evades people who hunt wild Jeeps for sport. And that isn't even the best part. These books are massively detailed, with tech that is wildly ambitious and political situations that are similar to current day, but also very heavily influenced by tech, plus AI rights, wars, evolved humans, etc. :-D

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Neurosis posted:

I think it was actually kind of good. I liked that the ending was pretty open, though I think I have a general idea what happens after it.

But I'm curious what you think of it as well.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

ulmont posted:

Curious to see your followup; I liked it.

None of the answers were particularly satisfactory and the whole book just felt haphazard and desultory. We found out what the Kiriath remnants are planning and had hints as to what will happen when Archeth gets back to the Imperial capital, but didn't see it happen; the things in the Grey Places are there just 'cos and are aliens; who knows what the Dark Court actually are - we still don't know if they're Envoys and have a sci fi origin or what, though there were a couple more hints it was actually Earth but nothing conclusive; the dwenda are altered human soldiers, yeah, okay, whatever... Egar got killed in a meaningless fashion and Archeth leveled up her fighting class and gets a few soldier followers in endeavours which were just pretexts for the Helmsmen to talk at them, otherwise they did nothing. Ringil I guess ends up being absorbed into his sword and becomes Hjel and lives an entirely different life, alright, whatever, an ending that didn't feel particularly meaningful other than allowing Ringil to escape his role as a hero; why Dakovash decided to do this isn't particularly well explained other than him saying he's known as a bit of a wildcard... There were huge tracts of the book that just felt pointless. It felt like Morgan just ran out of ideas with what to do with the setting so we got a book that was mostly filler.

There were well written parts of the book but overall it seemed aimless. A pity because the first 2 books were amazing.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 21, 2014

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I just finished City of Stairs. That was quite good. The author is working on a sequel. I wonder where it will go, given that it feels like the major mysteries of the setting have been dealt with in a pretty satisfactory manner. Well, aside from, maybe, the origin of the gods themselves.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 21, 2014

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I'm assuming the sequel will be more in the direction of political intrigue with some magic poo poo thrown in.

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Looking for a book with just some bad rear end character(s). Think I've read all the Gemmell books that I'd be interested in and Abercrombie. Anything else out there I haven't thought of?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

FAGGY CLAUSE posted:

Looking for a book with just some bad rear end character(s). Think I've read all the Gemmell books that I'd be interested in and Abercrombie. Anything else out there I haven't thought of?

If you don't mind your badasses shading slightly towards the anime side of things, Malazan has a fairly enormous crop of 'em.

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks - I've given Malazan a fair shake and read the first two. Just couldn't get into the third and beyond.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

FAGGY CLAUSE posted:

Richard Morgan's Land Fit for Heroes trilogy just finished. The characters are pretty bad rear end.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

JackKnight posted:

Has anyone read 'Metaplanetary' & 'Superluminal' by Tony Daniel? Those two books are pretty much my favorite out of all the books I have read. Can't get much better than a semi sentient wild Jeep that consistently evades people who hunt wild Jeeps for sport. And that isn't even the best part. These books are massively detailed, with tech that is wildly ambitious and political situations that are similar to current day, but also very heavily influenced by tech, plus AI rights, wars, evolved humans, etc. :-D

Hard to go wrong with 99 cent ebooks, I'll check them out.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

JackKnight posted:

I only read Superliminal, which wasn't advertised as a sequel. Made it a bit difficult to follow, but good high concept ultratech Sci fi. Pity they sold so badly there's no actual ending.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Velius posted:

Richard Morgan's Land Fit for Heroes trilogy just finished. The characters are pretty bad rear end.

Yeah, all three POVs are famous within the series' world for being badass and they're also good, fun to read characters with entertaining, Abercrombie-like dialogue.

The Red Knight by Miles Cameron is good for badass medieval knights and witches/wizards just ganking dudes in medieval battles.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

FAGGY CLAUSE posted:

First five Amber books by Roger Zelazny and Jhereg by Steven Brust. Corwin from the former is kind of the ultimate badass IMO as far as slightly more literary fantasy is concerned.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Harry Potter is less clunky than Amber.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

FAGGY CLAUSE posted:

The Lies of Locke Lamora, if you don't mind badass thieves/con-artists instead of badass fighters(though I guess the gladiators who fight sharks would count as badass fighters).

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!
I've begun to read Gridlinked. gently caress, those fast POV changes made me think I was reading the script for a Michael Bay movie...

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Just finished Dune for the first time. Can definitely see its influence on other books I've read (especially considering I just finished the Wheel of Time a few weeks ago). Any of the sequels worth reading?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Rules of thumb for Dune:

- Read the Frank Herbert books until you feel like they are getting too weird or out there or you can't follow them. The first two sequels are widely considered to be not quite as good as Dune, but still good. (Dune Messiah and Children of Dune) This is sometimes called the "Dune trilogy", although there are actually six Dune books Herbert wrote. The sixth book ends in a bit of a cliffhanger, and his son and Kevin Anderson picked up from there some years later after he died, however,

- Don't read anything not written by Frank Herbert.

- No seriously, don't.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Oct 22, 2014

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah the Dune books get progressively weirder/worse. So read them in the order they were written, but when you finish one and are like "meh" then stop because you probably won't like the next one.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
If for some perverse reason you need to read more the House X novels published by Brian Herbert and KJA aren't completely batshit from the get-go, but the decline in quality and stealing ideas from the later novels (even though they're a prequel) gets pretty noticeable about halfway through House Harkonnen. And then the Bulgarian Jihadists series started and made apparent they had no concept of the themes of the originals and it was going to be just crazy hedonist AIs and rape/torture.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
God-Emperor of Dune was without a doubt the best book in the series. Heretics of Dune is also great. Dune Messiah is the weakest of Frank Herbert's books. The last of his books suffers from being part of an unfinished story arc, and I felt the conclusion by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson were not what Frank Herbert was aiming for, and the books themselves are simply not as good.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
God-Emperor of Dune was without a doubt the worst book of the first 4. It's Frank Herbert lecturing you for many pages while little happens. I recommend stopping with Children.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
While you may like subsequent Dune books more than you did prior ones, if at any point while reading the series you decide you're not interested in reading further, there is nothing coming that is going to make you regret the decision to stop.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
Take a lesson from the book itself.

quote:

Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what’s incomplete and saying: "Now it’s complete because it’s ended here."
The last book or three are incomplete, leaving nothing but unsatisfying mystery and uncertainty. Ignore them, and enjoy the Dune trilogy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

darthbob88 posted:

Take a lesson from the book itself.
The last book or three are incomplete, leaving nothing but unsatisfying mystery and uncertainty. Ignore them, and enjoy the Dune trilogy.

That's kind of the appeal of Heretics to me. The constant unease and confusion. Everybody's become so reliant on prediction and abstraction they've lost sight of the fact that they have absolutely no idea what the gently caress is going on.

Also if you stop at 3 you miss out on Moneo and Teg, and then where would you be?