Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Yeah, I had the same thing happen smackfu. I'm glad it did get bumped up from late November because my old Kindle 3g just died on me. Screen froze, quick reset isn't doing anything. I guess there's a slim chance I can fix it with that kubrick thing since I got into usb download/repair mode. I think it ran low on power while the 3g radio was on which can potentially cause the kindle to freak out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unoriginal
May 12, 2001
I just bought a Paperwhite 2 and am looking for a good case. I'm coming from my Kindle Keyboard with the official Amazon leather lighted case which felt awesome, so maybe I'm a bit spoiled. I considered the official case for this one, but saw some complaints that the case isn't that comfortable to hold with sharp edges and rougher lining fabric. It's sort of a lot to spend on a case if it's not going to feel like quality, so what do you guys think of it? I also considered the Fintie snap on case, but I'm worried it'll feel too cheap and make my hands sweaty, being plastic.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

Unoriginal posted:

I just bought a Paperwhite 2 and am looking for a good case. I'm coming from my Kindle Keyboard with the official Amazon leather lighted case which felt awesome, so maybe I'm a bit spoiled. I considered the official case for this one, but saw some complaints that the case isn't that comfortable to hold with sharp edges and rougher lining fabric. It's sort of a lot to spend on a case if it's not going to feel like quality, so what do you guys think of it? I also considered the Fintie snap on case, but I'm worried it'll feel too cheap and make my hands sweaty, being plastic.

I haven't had that experience with the official case. The PW2 is kind of small in my hands and I really need a case to make it more comfortable.

I went from a KB to a PW2 too. The PW2 is going to feel really small and light in your hands. For the first few days, it was really awkward.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I have this Omoton Case and have no complaints. It fits tight, the flap has a magnet to automatically turn on the Kindle, and the plastic is acceptable quality. For $10.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00G8ZFP24?pc_redir=1412744903&robot_redir=1

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Unoriginal posted:

Had a kindle keyboard with official cover, now own a paperwhite with official cover.

I love the feel of the official paperwhite cover, just as much as the old keyboard cover. Doesn't feel plasticy, and if you hold it like a normal person you'll be making contact with the nice fabric on the inside of the cover. My only complaint would be the additional bulk it adds but drat if it doesn't feel like it could take a good drop. I throw it in my bag with no worries.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

smackfu posted:

I have this Omoton Case and have no complaints. It fits tight, the flap has a magnet to automatically turn on the Kindle, and the plastic is acceptable quality. For $10.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00G8ZFP24?pc_redir=1412744903&robot_redir=1
I'm also happy with this case.

Melraidin
Oct 11, 2005
Can anyone suggest a case for a Kobo Aura H2O? Would like something to help avoid damage to the screen but 40 $ for the first-party case seems ridiculous.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Junkenstein posted:

Is an upgrade from a Keyboard to a Paperwhite 2 worth it? The Voyage is pretty much exactly what I was waiting for, but I have a 30% off any (current) Kindle voucher that's valid to the end of the year, so I don't think I can justify paying £170 for a Voyage when the Paperwhite is £77.

Thanks guys, went for the PW2 and it's defintiely worth the upgrade, especially at that price. I'm not missing buttons at all and the light makes for almost as liberating a reading experience as when I first started reading on a Kindle.

I do miss the little progress bar with chapter notches though.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Ars has a solid review of the Voyager:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/10/review-amazons-kindle-voyage-e-reader-is-the-king-of-its-niche/

I'll add it to the OP and update it later this week. Looks like I don't feel bad about having a paperwhite 2 overall.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Junkenstein posted:

Thanks guys, went for the PW2 and it's defintiely worth the upgrade, especially at that price. I'm not missing buttons at all and the light makes for almost as liberating a reading experience as when I first started reading on a Kindle.

I do miss the little progress bar with chapter notches though.

Touch the very bottom of the screen and you can cycle through various progress displays.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Happy Voyage day. Looking forward to mine to replace my Touch.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

It sounds like a nice luxury item but I'm happy with the PW2 for the next year or so.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Hey this Kobo Color PocketReader is $15 on Woot today.

http://computers.woot.com/offers/kobo-4-3-color-pocketreader-with-microsd-13?ref=cnt_wp_0_34

What's the deal with it? I assume the color is kind of a gimmick but for $15? Does it at least function as a basic ereader?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Humerus posted:

Hey this Kobo Color PocketReader is $15 on Woot today.

http://computers.woot.com/offers/kobo-4-3-color-pocketreader-with-microsd-13?ref=cnt_wp_0_34

What's the deal with it? I assume the color is kind of a gimmick but for $15? Does it at least function as a basic ereader?

Amazon has nothing but bad reviews for it.

quote:

First off, this thing has nothing to do with Kobo, so why are all these advertisers pretending it does? It seems like a rather naughty mis-use of a respectable brand name. The company is named Slick, and the hardware does not resemble anything by Kobo at all. It doesn't even say Kobo anywhere on the device itself. PocketReader by slicK, that's the name.

On the plus side, the expansion slot was an excellent idea (16Gb max, FYI) and that plus the ability to play mp3 while reading, are why I picked one up from Woot for $20. That is why the two stars. (But wait, can it really play mp3? So far it just sticks for several hours at "Updating MediaLib" whenever I try to click on the music function. Will be a good feature if it ever finishes...)

And I should mention that yes, the backlight works well and there is color. But seriously, did the marketroids call this a "clear" display? The pixels are huge, probably 320 x 240 like those early PDAs. Nothing like eReaders. The zoom is kludgy and hard to control, as is the page-turning. And even the cheapest developers never forget to include landscape mode in a PDF reader--but these guys somehow forgot that simple feature.

Manufacturers like this are why some of us are shamed into giving up shopping altogether. The wife is gonna be hitting me over the head for this misguided purchase for a /long/ time...

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
I just got home from work and picked my Voyage up from the leasing office. Coming from a launch day Kindle 3, this thing is amazing. I don't know that it'd be worth upgrading to from a Paperwhite, but if you've been as curmudgeonly as I have about page turn buttons, it's a really nice upgrade.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Just out of curiosity, why do you like the button so much? I know that on the Nook Simple Touch, they were not that easy to press and made things more difficult. I prefer just brushing my thumb over the edge of the screen to turn the page. Is it the convenience of being able to go forward and back with one hand?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It makes one handed use a lot easier, yes. You basically just have to hold the device and not move your hands at all to change pages.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Well, the Voyage was the first thing that Amazon ever missed their target delivery date for me. Looks like mine is coming tonight. Anyone have any initial thoughts on it?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

My initial thought is I wish I could buy one and not have to wait a month and a half for it.

Either Amazon completely hosed up forecasting demand for a $200 eReader or they made like 5 of them.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Mine was set for a Nov 12 delivery date but I ended up finding one in stock in a Best Buy near-ish by, so just picked it up there last night and cancelled my Amazon order.

I'd been putting off upgrading from my Kindle Keyboard because of the lack of page turning buttons, too. The PagePress is good, not quite a substitute, but everything else makes up for it. I'm not very eloquent with reviews, but I'm happy with my Voyage and I'm looking forward to my lunch break to dive into a new book. The glass screen is very nice, I'm not seeing much smudging and it does have more of a regular Kindle screen feel with the etching. I don't really have anything additional to say that hasn't been said in all of the reviews on the major tech/gadget sites, but I can try to answer any questions anyone has. :)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I tried going to Best Buy for one yesterday (actually went to two Best Buys.)

The first one never heard of it and had no idea if they would be getting any in. They told me "we get stuff on Thursday, so maybe it will come then."

The 2nd one said that "We're supposed to be getting them, but we really don't know when."

Edit: And I now see it's up for pre-order at BestBuy.com and claims I'll get it tomorrow if ordered. So, I did. Then I immediately got an email back saying that release date of my preorder has been changed to the 23rd. So, I have no idea if that means I'll be getting it tomorrow or not.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 22, 2014

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

smackfu posted:

I wish Amazon just put a slot on the side for covers to attach to, like an old-school Palm Vx:

For a book reader that's going in a bag, I care more about protecting the front than the back. I guess it's the same as the iPad smart covers really, but those are probably tied up in patents.

The first Kindles had covers attached this way, only more flimsy. The hinges broke very easily, taking the screen with them. That's why we now have the other kind of case/flip cover.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

Mine was set for a Nov 12 delivery date but I ended up finding one in stock in a Best Buy near-ish by, so just picked it up there last night and cancelled my Amazon order.

I'd been putting off upgrading from my Kindle Keyboard because of the lack of page turning buttons, too. The PagePress is good, not quite a substitute, but everything else makes up for it. I'm not very eloquent with reviews, but I'm happy with my Voyage and I'm looking forward to my lunch break to dive into a new book. The glass screen is very nice, I'm not seeing much smudging and it does have more of a regular Kindle screen feel with the etching. I don't really have anything additional to say that hasn't been said in all of the reviews on the major tech/gadget sites, but I can try to answer any questions anyone has. :)

This is actually pretty helpful for me. I'm also coming from a kindle keyboard and I've been a stick in the mud about the page turn buttons but have been having some buyer's remorse about the cost. Sounds like it's probably worth it!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Decius posted:

The first Kindles had covers attached this way, only more flimsy. The hinges broke very easily, taking the screen with them. That's why we now have the other kind of case/flip cover.

Uh what? No.

Then the second generation had one that mounted this way:

The third generation was the one that had the problem. It kept the hook mechanism from the second generation but added electrical contacts, which were used for the case with built in light. The problem came with people buying the non-lighted cases, which sometimes caused shorts across the contacts.as well as sometimes putting a bit too much stress on the device itself (though for some reason the lighted covers didn't).

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Uh what? No.

The third generation was the one that had the problem. It kept the hook mechanism from the second generation but added electrical contacts, which were used for the case with built in light. The problem came with people buying the non-lighted cases, which sometimes caused shorts across the contacts.as well as sometimes putting a bit too much stress on the device itself (though for some reason the lighted covers didn't).

I've still got my 3rd gen and the cover and it likes to come loose pretty often. I guess it's kinda old now though.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

Uh what? No.

Ok, first in his world, I guess. Maybe he's young. The hinge design was absolutely terrible, though.

/still have an OG Kindle I paid....$500 for. True story. Works great and Sprint still works, somehow.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

MrBond posted:

This is actually pretty helpful for me. I'm also coming from a kindle keyboard and I've been a stick in the mud about the page turn buttons but have been having some buyer's remorse about the cost. Sounds like it's probably worth it!

I've really been enjoying it - I've read in bed the last couple of nights and haven't noticed any odd eyestrain from the backlight (one of my main reasons to use an e-reader). The PagePress isn't quiiiiite the same, I'm missing my buttons a bit still, but it's been fairly easy for me to learn where the back and forward buttons are by memory.

I'm also really liking the Goodreads integration. It's not quite as robust as I'd like - I'd love to be able to surf Goodreads, not just access a few parts of the site - but still a step up from the Keyboard.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I reallllllly don't get all the hooplah with page turn buttons, but my first and only e-reader was my Touch, so yeah.

That said, I'm enjoying the Voyage. Screen is nice. I love the back-light. Power button on the back is weird and will take some time to get used to (vs on the bottom of the unit). I think my biggest annoyance is having to "slide to unlock" after hitting the power button. Why?? Just take me to my book when I hit the power button, like on the Touch.

I like the Goodreads thing, but for some reason it wouldn't let me add books to my shelf that other people have gifted to me, like a Christmas present or whatever. Kind of annoying to have to look up all the books manually.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Check under settings, there's probably a way to disable the slide lock.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

I'm also really liking the Goodreads integration. It's not quite as robust as I'd like - I'd love to be able to surf Goodreads, not just access a few parts of the site - but still a step up from the Keyboard.

I think my number one missing Goodreads feature is the ability to update your progress while reading.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mnemosyne posted:

I think my number one missing Goodreads feature is the ability to update your progress while reading.

Wait, what does it even do if not that?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Tiggum posted:

You can look at other people's updates, add comments, browse your shelves, and post reviews immediately after finishing a book.

Recommendations aren't even on there. Customers are asking Amazon to let them spam their friends and make it easier to find stuff to buy. It's ridiculous.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Tiggum posted:

It's been a little while since I used it, but I think it lets you add that you've started a book and that you've finished the book, but not anything in between.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Got my Voyager last night and love it. The additional PPI really helps with maps and images, which, since I mostly read non-fiction history, matters quite a bit to me. I'm also finally able to dump Caecilia in favor of Palatino. The variable-weight fonts looked kind of lovely on the lower PPI screens when you read at the smallest font size with thinnest margins and line-spacing. Now, they don't

I'm pretty sure I'd still prefer dedicated, physical page-turn buttons but PagePress will do, and is a nice addition to being able to page turn via swiping the screen as well.

I _love_ that the screen is now flush with the bezels instead of sunken. The interior edges of the bezels on all previous Kindles always seemed to be crumb and dust magnets (I've gone caseless ever since they started integrating backlights). Not a problem with this screen.

I'm thinking this Kindle should last me until color e-ink screens finally become economically viable. Unless they release a bigger size, that's my one complaint with this one. I'd prefer something sized more like an iPad Mini.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Tiggum posted:

I like being able to access my Goodreads "want to read" section right from my Kindle and open the Kindle store for a particular book from my list.

I've found one frustrating thing with the buttons - I often hold the device by the edge if I'm setting it down or picking it up, and if I don't turn it off, I accidentally change pages.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

And after two weeks, best buy cancelled my Kindle Voyage order citing that they have no idea when it comes off backorder (despite the fact that it was 'in stock and shipping now' when I placed it.)

Disappointing to say the least. Any enthusiasm I had about dropping $200 on an eReader has been completely leveled by not actually being able to buy one.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

After using it for a few weeks, I don't even bother with Goodreads anymore. It's essentially my Touch with a backlight and an improved screen. In retrospect, I think the price point is a bit high.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
I'm loving my Voyage. Coming from a Paperwhite version 1, everything just seems better in comparison. I particularly enjoy being able to actually read PDF's with a minimum of zooming or landscape mode.

Anyone have any suggestions for a cheap Voyage cover? I'd love to have something like my Paperwhite's Fintie Folio, including auto-wake.

Killerkid
Dec 20, 2012
Is it possible to turn off or hide the 'Books on sale' advertisement which is on the home screen on Kindle Voyage?

Killerkid fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Nov 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah, it's in the options under suggestions or something.