Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Putting Hyrule Warriors as a recommended game is fine. Just be sure to note that people should have some idea if they like the musou genre first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

anyone who doesn't like Hyrule Warriors is an idiot

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Kaubocks posted:

Yeah it's really good

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
It's pretty okay but it also will change pretty much no ones mind about a very divisive genre.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kaubocks posted:

Just like pikmin 3!

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

axleblaze posted:

It's pretty okay but it also will change pretty much no ones mind about a very divisive genre.

I had never played Dynasty Warriors besides, like, a demo for the first one, but I was/am really impressed by it and curious to know how it ranks in the genre and what similar titles I may want to look into. I may pick up Orochi Warriors 3 down the line, so that's about as high praise as I can think.

It has a poo poo load of content and $20 for four DLCs that each have a fat load of content (if the Master Quest one is any indication) is an easy investment.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

axleblaze posted:

It's ok, Kaubocks doesn't like good games like Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101.

Though I went into Hyrule Warriors knowing nothing about the genre and it totally sold me on it in a way I doubt other games in the series would have.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Pikmin 3 is good, The Wonderful 101 is good, Hyrule Warriors is good, there's a lot of good games on the Nintendo Wii U. :)

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

It's ok, Kaubocks doesn't like good games like Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101.

I hate games about controlling little units but love the one where I get to beat them all up.

Funny how that works out.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

axleblaze posted:

Putting Hyrule Warriors as a recommended game is fine. Just be sure to note that people should have some idea if they like the musou genre first.

Actually anyone who buys a Warriors game despite disliking the warriors franchise is dumb and deserves to lose their money

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

Actually anyone who buys a Warriors game despite disliking the warriors franchise is dumb and deserves to lose their money

Yeah but not everyone has played & knows whether or not like like Warriors style games.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
If you don't live in a city with good public transportation or aren't too young to drive yourself around you lose out on a ton of the benefits of handheld game systems I think. All I end up doing is sitting on the couch in front of the TV playing it which kind of defeats the purpose of a portable system it seems like.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Cake Attack posted:

It being a Zelda game might be enough for some people to assume that it might be more Zelda than Musou. The Zelda factor combined with it being on a recommended list (while most musou games go ignored by all but fans of the genre) might make people think it does something to being itself above the genre, and while it's a good and fun game, it really does not in the slightest. Honestly, if it weren't for the Zelda license combined with the slow drip of games coming out for the system, it too probably would have just been ignored by all but fans of the genre. Hell, I wouldn't have bought it if I hadn't ended up playing a musou game I really liked right before it came out.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I didn't know anything about the Musou genre before I got Hyrule Warriors, other than that they were generally considered pretty simplistic and boring. But I got the game cause it looked fun, and I was right, it is really fun. It's still kind of simplistic but all the characters and weapons are unique and different enough, that as long as you don't only play a single character the game never gets boring and it has bucket loads of content so you'll definitely get your money's worth. And if it really is nothing special for the genre I may need to start looking out for more warriors games to buy.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

whaley posted:

If you don't live in a city with good public transportation or aren't too young to drive yourself around you lose out on a ton of the benefits of handheld game systems I think. All I end up doing is sitting on the couch in front of the TV playing it which kind of defeats the purpose of a portable system it seems like.

It has cool games.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

whaley posted:

I don't know about other people living in big cities, but even then I'm not on public trans long enough to justify bringing it out, and that's if there's enough room on the subway or bus that I can sit down.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

elf help book posted:

It has cool games.

poo poo's in 3D, too.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Chronojam posted:

poo poo's in 3D, too.

I think Mario 3D World would be a much better game if it was also in 3D.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

elf help book posted:

I think Mario 3D World would be a much better game if it was also in 3D.

If 3D Land is any indication, not really.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

axleblaze posted:

If 3D Land is any indication, not really.

I've played both.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

elf help book posted:

I've played both.

Then you know outside of like one room in the first level, the 3D didn't actually effect the game all that much :)

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Macaluso posted:

I'm planning on getting an HD tv in time for Smash, because I have to play that game at the best I can play it. But right now I currently don't have an HD tv, and the screen on the tablet looks GREAT! Mario Kart 8 looks great on it, 3D World looks great on it. The screen just looks good and CRISP. So I don't feel like I'm losing out on anything other than the image being TV sized. It's absolutely wonderful for youtube and other stuff (I currently have the co-optional podcast stream going on on it and it's great).

The gamepad rules, and anyone that bad mouthed it can SHOVE IT

Dude if you think those games look great on the gamepad you're going to lose your poo poo when you see them on an hdtv. Please post your little-kid-on-christmas-morning reaction when you do :unsmith:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Tender Bender posted:

Dude if you think those games look great on the gamepad you're going to lose your poo poo when you see them on an hdtv. Please post your little-kid-on-christmas-morning reaction when you do :unsmith:

Haha I actually had a borrowed HD tv from a roommate at my last place and all these games looked amazing in HD. I'm just living somewhere else now and have to get my own now. I'm well aware of how amazing all these games look in full HD

edit: HDTV won't be a thing BEFORE Bayonetta though, so that's kind of sad. On the other hand, I will be starting with the first one so maybe the TV will happen before I beat Bayonetta 1

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

The 3D in 3D Land really helped my depth perception with jumps. I would like to play world in 3D.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Good news friends: The Mario Kart 8 DLC will have retro tracks that have already been used as retro tracks in previous games!

Bad news friends: The first one is Yoshi's Circuit :shepface:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg8RgXCcXnA

That's not Waluigi Pinball dang nabbit. :mad:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:yoshi:

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

JordanKai posted:

Good news friends: The Mario Kart 8 DLC will have retro tracks that have already been used as retro tracks in previous games!

That's not a bad remix of the main GCN circuit theme. I really hope we see more SNES tracks though since those have the best music.

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I'm trying to play Zelda Wind Waker HD but it seems like I spend more time fighting with the camera angles than monsters

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Tender Bender posted:

I must have a lovely tv cause the game looks better on the tablet still. and its 1080 p

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Pegged Lamb posted:

I must have a lovely tv cause the game looks better on the tablet still. and its 1080 p

Yes you do. The Pad's screen is 854x480

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Pegged Lamb posted:

I'm trying to play Zelda Wind Waker HD but it seems like I spend more time fighting with the camera angles than monsters

Welcome to 3D Zelda games :v:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

JordanKai posted:

Yoshi's Circuit is pretty much the best of the generic "circuit" racing levels so that's okay by me.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I'm going to play games directly off the gamepad until the day I die.

Or until like a month from now when I live in an apartment where I have more space and can conveniently hook my WiiU up to my monitor.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

JordanKai posted:

Be still my beating heart...! Yoshi's Circuit was one of the greatest Double Dash tracks this side of Dinosaur jungle and Daisy Cruiser

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I hope one of the retro tracks is Bowser's Castle from 64 :pray:

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

If we're going to be honest with each other, I sort of hope that whatever small team they have on this DLC gets kept there, putting out a new pack of DLC every 6 months until the end of the Wii U's life.

I would be completely fine shelling out $15 local currency every year for half a mario kart's worth of new content.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Speaking of the gamepad, how sturdy is it? I've got to hop on a long flight and i figure I can throw it in my carry on, hopefully it'll be okay. I'm moving to europe and I expect that charging the gamepad might require me to track down an EU charger, instead of just an adapter.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

enojy posted:

I'm glad my gamepad can travel all the way to my bedroom (since it's really just on the other side of a wall) but I'm not bringing this big hunking thing into the bathroom while I float poo poo particles in the air. Besides, I've dropped things into the toilet before and I'm not interested in having the gamepad be the next one.

You need to either stop skipping leg day or stop using President Taft's toilet geez, how could the gamepad even fit in the toilet?

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I didn't know anything about the Musou genre before I got Hyrule Warriors, other than that they were generally considered pretty simplistic and boring. But I got the game cause it looked fun, and I was right, it is really fun. It's still kind of simplistic but all the characters and weapons are unique and different enough, that as long as you don't only play a single character the game never gets boring and it has bucket loads of content so you'll definitely get your money's worth. And if it really is nothing special for the genre I may need to start looking out for more warriors games to buy.

You might as well start on the system you own- Warriors Orochi 3 is one of the best installments in the entire Warriors series and it's already on Wii U and you can probably find Hyper for something like $15 now. It's a little weird because it's a crossover game between Dynasty and Samurai Warriors, but the only Warriors game where the story was really worthwhile was Dynasty Warriors 7 anyways.

JordanKai posted:

That's not bad news at all. Yoshi's Circuit is one of the best tracks from the Mario Kart game that generally had the best tracks.

Now if only Nintendo would remember Wario Colosseum existed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
I really dislike that the Link figure will have a special use in Hyrule Warriors. It makes me afraid that they will indeed tie the amiibos to only the games they are in.

• Locked thread