Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Thinking about Karin, would trapping her in a wall or dropping her from a height even be effective? Her curse seems to be that anything that would harm her doesn't, though she still feels the pain. Getting stuck in a wall would probably count for that, so while she'd be incapacitated for a bit, she could probably just bust herself out of the wall pretty easily, if it doesn't just pass through her. Though also now that I think about it, if someone wants to take her out indefinitely without just teleporting her somewhere else, it looks like their only option is to put her in a state where she is in perpetual pain such that it disables her, which is pretty :stare:. Someone said some time ago that the characters' immortality makes the stakes higher because of fates worse than death, and drat it really does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The only things that are effective against Karin are trapping her, incapacitating her by inflicting pain, or sending her away. Karin is crazy strong, most sealing abilities seem to be specific to demonic entities, and she has a ridiculous tolerance for pain. So, sending her away seems to be the default best method to deal with Karin most of the time. She has only fought two particularly canny opponents, and they both dealt with her in the same way. However, sticking her inside a mundane solid object seems to be the next best thing. Even without intangibility, encasing her in concrete would be sure to disable her for a few years. Make it part of a building foundation and that might rise to decades or even a century, but she would certainly be able to get out on her own eventually. Heck, she probably wouldn't even go permanently insane what with her absurd mental fortitude.

I suppose if someone developed a sealing technique specifically for her that would work, but aside from being indestructible Karin isn't really enough of a threat to warrant that much effort.

Edit: Actually, I guess if Karin overcame her distaste for her divine powers and used them regularly she might be a serious threat to the powers that be. We don't really know the scope or limits of those abilities, after all. But right now, she is basically a very competent indestructible professional rather than an army thrasher like the Negis, Fates and Evas of the world.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Sep 11, 2014

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Karin is crazy-strong and prefers sensible solutions, which is why she's the Word of the series.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Well IIRC I-forget-who said Touta would not die from getting phased into the ground, he'd just take forever to dig himself out, so Karin's prolly on the same boat.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Chapter 50 is up on crunchyroll. E: I think Akamatsu has a bit of a knack for crazy/unhinged serial killers because :stare:

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Sep 17, 2014

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
The universe plot conspires against Karin.

Niel
Mar 5, 2013
Chapter 51's up. Can't say I was expecting Sayoko to be a necromancer, persay...

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
All very nicely done and progressing the story but who cares Save Girl's Back! :haw:

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Woah, didn't see that coming. :stare:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Akamatsu knows what is good in life. Big O

And now I want more Big O that I know will never be, drat it.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
New chapter up on Crunchyroll. Akamatsu really not holding back on killing off random bystanders this time around. Though I imagine Save Girl can reset things back to status quo for the school.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Holy poo poo, Akamatsu is hardcore. :stare:

Is every chapter gonna be like this? :allears: At first I couldn't imagine him escalating it more than the end of Negima, but maybe...

I'm kind of wondering if he got a deal like Togashi's to come back to Kodansha. If he did, he's certainly doing much more good with it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

:stare: Is... Is everything okay, Akamatsu?

When we made fun of Love Hina and Negima we didn't really mean it, you know?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Well then :stare:

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
So I guess all the wall murders didn't really sink in because of how clean and unusual they were. But if this is really going to have this kind of body count then wow, rock and roll.
I wonder if this was another reason he wanted to get out from that magazine.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I just realize how ingenious it is to have the save girl because Akamatsu can now go wild with anything.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 1, 2014

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
When you think about it, it isn't very surprising for an artist who specializes in action scenes to want to draw a zombie apocalypse.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011
Well that escalated quickly!

Nyaa posted:

I just realize how ingenious it is to have the save girl because Akamatsu can now go wild with anything.

Akamatsu is a good enough writer to make that work but there are some serious story telling pitfalls inherent in the ability. But he has already made a story starring literal Immortals have a sense of danger.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

.Clash posted:

So I guess all the wall murders didn't really sink in because of how clean and unusual they were. But if this is really going to have this kind of body count then wow, rock and roll.
I wonder if this was another reason he wanted to get out from that magazine.

UQ Holder is published in the exact same magazine as Negima.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
She wasn't in town when all that poo poo went down, though. So, it may or may not get rewritten.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Serious Frolicking posted:

She wasn't in town when all that poo poo went down, though. So, it may or may not get rewritten.

Couples Factors determine her effectiveness here, When her Save point was set for how far back she can go. I do not think distance is a factor since she just goes back to when and where she set the Save Point. How many times has she come back for this event? IS this the second cycle for her, the third, the 35th? Which sort of determines how much she actually can contribute.

Also she has to die to reset, does being Zombified nullify that?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

MadHat posted:

Couples Factors determine her effectiveness here, When her Save point was set for how far back she can go. I do not think distance is a factor since she just goes back to when and where she set the Save Point. How many times has she come back for this event? IS this the second cycle for her, the third, the 35th? Which sort of determines how much she actually can contribute.

Also she has to die to reset, does being Zombified nullify that?

My point was that while her presence can mean a reset, it does not necessarily follow that one must happen. As Madhat already said, Akamatsu is a clever enough writer to know not to lean on a reset button. However, the real danger here is to Kirie herself. Confiding in fellow UQH members is one thing, but now they've got a very confused and corruptible ghost tagging along with Touta the loudmouth. Kirie is very easily sealed away if someone knows what she can do, and the necromancer/ghost girl seems to have a direct line into Santa's brain.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Of course, Kirie is not really a guarantee of instant fixings, because even if they rewound back to the beginning nothing stops crazy yandere ghost from raising the zombie army again if she's feeling threatened.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
My thought would be she needs Santa to just snap and use his negativity to start the zombie scenario (otherwise why wait for his snapping?) and that's where Save Girl pops into affairs.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Chapter 53

Well that went about as well as expected.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Man, type-D necromancy is the worst kind to have to deal with! Slow zombies must be just type-C. Types A and B are probably less contagious.

I still enjoy that they've just classified these things and the various kinds of immortality. Gives more of that feeling of all the fantasy elements and how they fit into a society actually having been thought about for once.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Oct 8, 2014

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Clever. This keeps it on the level of a fighting manga. When they beat Sayoko they presumably save Kirie, which in turn allows them to revert the damages. However, Kirie is off the table until the situation with Sayoko and Santa is resolved. Also, I'm pretty sure that Karin could beat the poo poo out of any ghost if she isn't taken by surprise so her being taken out gives Touta a chance to shine. Sayoko taking her out first even makes sense from her perspective, since Karin was overtly hostile to Santa. This is a very nicely put-together story.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat
This manga started out slow, but this arc it making it one of my favorites.

I knew something like page 15 was going to happen, but I had to laugh at the little thread of hope being snapped right as it was being explained.

Niel
Mar 5, 2013
Next UQ's up.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Christ, I can't wait to see what the final arc is going to be if we're already at nearly omnipotent spider ghost zombie vampire necromancer who gives no fucks about other immortals (Fate or Eva would probably still crush her). And it's funny and a bit morbid that Touta's solution to Kirie's predicament is "Welp, gotta kill her, I guess." Though Kuromaru apparently doesn't think the same way.

This series is so good.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Oct 15, 2014

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Man, this is such a weird manga. I don't particularly like Tota at all, yet everyone else has points I like, and I can't stop reading every new chapter as they come out even if I don't like the lead because Akamatsu is just so good at battle manga now.

Also a spider monster girl is always cool and more series need them.

Niel
Mar 5, 2013
Chapter 55.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Did not expect things to escalate that far. Also did not expect everyone to get taken out so should be fun to see how Santa and the other guy get through this.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Wow, it's been a long time since a break. Sad to see one pop up now, but I'm hopeful that it won't be a recurring thing. Even if it is, if its required to keep the quality up to the current (frankly, awesome) standard then Akamatsu can go hog wild. Just don't be a Togashi, please... I'd rather have a manga end in a way like Negima did then watch it be dragged out for endless years, spending week-after-week on unexplained hiatus. :ohdear:

I assume Touta will awaken to even more power soon? I don't know how else they can get out of this. As awesome as Eva is, I'd rather not have her show up to kill the boss of every arc, and Fate is probably still on plot-cooldown from last arc.

With Santa's solid character progression and the evolution of his morals, it's clear to see that Akamatsu hasn't lost his touch. It makes me wonder what his plan for Touta is--while I find the idea of a shounen protagonist who actually acts like a kid and has (reasonably, considering he's like 12 or 13) not decided what they want to do with their life intereesting, the lack of progression as the story has moved on has left a bit to be desired. Touta seems to be pretty clearly the opposite of Negi in some ways, which I'm sure is intentional, so I'm wondering if his character will end up progressing in a similar direction.

I feel like this thread echos the same sentiment every week, but it is well-deserved. This was a good chapter. :)

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Silento posted:

It makes me wonder what his plan for Touta is--while I find the idea of a shounen protagonist who actually acts like a kid and has (reasonably, considering he's like 12 or 13) not decided what they want to do with their life intereesting, the lack of progression as the story has moved on has left a bit to be desired. Touta seems to be pretty clearly the opposite of Negi in some ways, which I'm sure is intentional, so I'm wondering if his character will end up progressing in a similar direction.

It seems like Touta is much more like Nagi and I have a feeling he'll end up being some sort of Nagi cloning experiment or something similar.

Having gone back and read Negima after catching up on UQ Holder, I've got one question about Fate.
What was his plan for fixing the magic world before Negi helpfully showed up with Asuna? He seemed to have legitimately been at the portal coincidentally. So what was the plan without Asuna powering the magics in order to transport the humans from Mars to Earth?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Gyges posted:

It seems like Touta is much more like Nagi and I have a feeling he'll end up being some sort of Nagi cloning experiment or something similar.

Having gone back and read Negima after catching up on UQ Holder, I've got one question about Fate.
What was his plan for fixing the magic world before Negi helpfully showed up with Asuna? He seemed to have legitimately been at the portal coincidentally. So what was the plan without Asuna powering the magics in order to transport the humans from Mars to Earth?

I think the original second plan was to just put everyone, even the humans, into Cosmo Ech-whatever it was called, the paradise illusion afterlife world? I'm pretty sure they talk about how if they kill even a human who can't just be sent there, they arrive there.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I always referred to it as the Cosmic Enchilada.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

But didn't they need Asuna in order to generate the Great Grand Master Key to put all those people into Cosmo Entelechia?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Another excellent chapter, Sayoko is creepy as all hell, and something amusing I noticed: Ikkuu gets impaled by a giant monster, spouts white blood, and is torn in half and called a bishop. Apparently Akamatsu is an Aliens fan in addition to Revengeance and Big O.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Gyges posted:

Nah, I don't see it. Nagi's defining trait was his enormous ego. Touta is actually quite modest and willing to work with others. Take the whole thing with Fate, for example. If Nagi was told that he couldn't win and that trying to do so would end up getting everyone killed his response would be to fight anyway (and then win because he was so drat ridiculous). Even if Nagi went through some time loops where that failed he would keep at it regardless.

• Locked thread