Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

ManOfTheYear posted:

I haven'y watched this because of the really bad IMDb rating. How come it's rated so bad if it's okay/good?
I have the same question about Enemy (2014). Heard really good things here and there, but its got a 2 star rating on Amazon Prime. I'm going to watch and find out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Everyone watch Coriolanus. Everyone watch Enemy.

e: also, the IMDB rankings are not some objective measurement. 'The Dark Knight' is the fourth best movie of all time according to the IMDB rankings.

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Oct 21, 2014

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
I saw Enemy in a theater with literally nobody else there. I thought it was excellent.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

Chichevache posted:

I don't know. Why didn't Van Gough sell more paintings? Coriolanus is good and you should give it a shot, maybe you won't like it but you'll still be the better for watching a few minutes of Shakespeare before turning it off.

Just wondering what separates the 7,0-9,0 movies and the 6,0 movies because a lot of time the six ones are somehow just glossed over and instantly forgotten, even though they are fine flicks and really don't have huge, glaring issues that should give them the worse rating. I mentioned Killing them Softly and Puncture earlier in this thread and nobody saw or cared about those even though I don't understand why.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jeff Wiiver posted:

I have the same question about Enemy (2014). Heard really good things here and there, but its got a 2 star rating on Amazon Prime. I'm going to watch and find out.

Enemy's loving great but it's a deliberately very weird, confounding movie. It makes sense that it'd be divisive.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Enemy is in my top five 2014 which is now crowded as hell, Coriolanus was in my top five 2012.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Slate Action posted:

e: also, the IMDB rankings are not some objective measurement. 'The Dark Knight' is the fourth best movie of all time according to the IMDB rankings.

On a slightly different note, the IMDB message boards are universally awful.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Slate Action posted:

Implying it isn't

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
I started watching Coriolanus but english not my native language and jesus gently caress I don't understand anything that is said. I read and hear the lines but for the love of me it might as well be chinese. It's like giving somebody who understand finnish the national epic Kalevala. Good luck with that.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

ManOfTheYear posted:

I started watching Coriolanus but english not my native language and jesus gently caress I don't understand anything that is said. I read and hear the lines but for the love of me it might as well be chinese. It's like giving somebody who understand finnish the national epic Kalevala. Good luck with that.

Shakespeare is difficult even if you are a native speaker. Put on subtitles and it should help you follow more clo s ely.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
AFAIK English has changed a lot less in the last 4-500 years than most European languages have so stuff like Shakespeare is still fairly intelligible to native speakers but it takes a certain amount of concentration. Similar to listening to someone speak with a very heavy accent.

That and most people have at least a passing familiarity with a couple of the plays from being taught about them in school.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Oct 22, 2014

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
There's also lots of allusions to now-obscure historical events and stories — a play about an English king would've been received at the time the way we would receive a play about Nixon, for example: with some familiarity assumed.

There are in-depth references to things that are no longer a part of modern life, and even the English accent has modified so greatly compared to Shakespearean english ("OP," original pronunciation) that a lot of the rhymes, puns and poetry are lost.

So don't feel bad that you don't get it without a lot of backtracking and reading subtitles. Most people off the street would miss a ton, too.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Shakespeare specifically wrote for a rhythm that made lines easier to memorize. That's not actually how people talked back then.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I consider myself a competent native English speaker and Shakespeare is dense as hell. You can get used to it though, as mentioned above, just by concentrating. After a while it makes sense on the fly, and it turns out he was a pretty good writer

Edit it also makes an asston more sense when you're seeing it performed as opposed to reading it

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I really cannot fathom reading anything like Macbeth or Hamlet without an annotated version that doesn't explain colloquial euphemisms like 'fishmonger'.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
Un-jokingly, I've always found that a little bit of alcohol helps make Shakespeare more intelligible.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
The things that always throw me in Shakespeare are the words that seem familiar but really mean the opposite of what they do now.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
Yeah, Shakespeare is tough. They say it takes languages 1000 years to evolve into something no longer unintelligible, so we're coming up on halfway. Plus, Shakespeare himself is a tricky writer. If you read or watch any plays by his contemporaries, their language is a lot easier to understand. Shakespeare writes a ton of puns and twisty sentences.

Subtitles help. I also find that it takes me 10 minutes or so to get into the rhythm, so I often restart movie adaptations after the first 10 minutes.

The Ian McKellen movie - I think it's one of the Richards - is really good. It was on Netflix a couple months ago - not sure about now.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

wafflesnsegways posted:

The Ian McKellen movie - I think it's one of the Richards - is really good. It was on Netflix a couple months ago - not sure about now.

I'd that the one with all the killings? Richard I I I ?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

computer parts posted:

Shakespeare specifically wrote for a rhythm that made lines easier to memorize. That's not actually how people talked back then.

It's like 95% this. You can go back on rewatches and pick apart the language, but the way it's acted is very intelligible.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sometimes, especially if it's a play I'm less familiar with, I like to crack open my Complete Works of Shakespeare and follow along in the text with the movie. This is also neat because it gives you a feel for what things got cut (very few Shakespeare films are full-text).

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

What if they made Shakespeare easier to understand by setting the plays in locations we can all relate to

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Sometimes, especially if it's a play I'm less familiar with, I like to crack open my Complete Works of Shakespeare and follow along in the text with the movie. This is also neat because it gives you a feel for what things got cut (very few Shakespeare films are full-text).

Yeah. Coriolanus is a very terse play and maybe one half of it is in the movie.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
gently caress Hamlet, Lion King will do me just fine thank you very much. Shakespeare ain't got nothin' on my boy Elton John. If you can find me a Shakespeare play with James Earl Jones and Jeremy Irons in the same room I'd be into that.

I can also skip Romeo and Juliet because hey, Lion King 2 :getin: Plus that poo poo's only a little over an hour, nice and to the point.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 22, 2014

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yeah. Coriolanus is a very terse play and maybe one half of it is in the movie.

I think Macbeth is one of the few that gets the full text treatment sometimes cuz it's so short. I just watched Polanski's Macbeth recently and I think that was something close to full text.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I think Macbeth is one of the few that gets the full text treatment sometimes cuz it's so short. I just watched Polanski's Macbeth recently and I think that was something close to full text.

And it's fuckin' superb.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
What are some other good Shakespere adaptations on Netflix, anyway?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

gently caress Hamlet, Lion King will do me just fine thank you very much. Shakespeare ain't got nothin' on my boy Elton John. If you can find me a Shakespeare play with James Earl Jones and Jeremy Irons in the same room I'd be into that.

I can also skip Romeo and Juliet because hey, Lion King 2 :getin: Plus that poo poo's only a little over an hour, nice and to the point.

Both of those are basically Coen Brothers' films. Hamlet especially is basically Walter from The Big Lebowski.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I was really hoping Titus was on Netflix Instant, but it isn't.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Some people like Romeo + Juliet but I think it's kind of cheesy. She's the Man is awesome but isn't available for streaming.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I changed my mind, I want this Hamlet instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCVc5TaPpe8

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Oct 22, 2014

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I was really hoping Titus was on Netflix, but it isn't.

It was on when Streaming first started from what I remember and hasn't been back unfortunately.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I think Prime is probably better for this. I know they have Ian MacKellan's King Lear and Patrick Stewart's Macbeth, as well as a bunch of "Shakespeare series" videos that came out in the early '80s (I can't speak to their quality). They also had Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet a while back, so that might come back on at some point.

Netflix has the 2000 modernized Hamlet I referenced above which, after careful consideration, I've decided I don't like, no matter how much I want to enjoy a Shakespearean production with Kyle MacLachlan in it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I have a favorite Macbeth, a favorite Romeo + Juliet, etc. What's the best Hamlet?

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

I think Branagh's version is considered pretty definitive, if only for being the only unabridged film version of Hamlet (it's over 4 hours long). But it's also just a really well done production besides.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Erebus posted:

as well as a bunch of "Shakespeare series" videos that came out in the early '80s (I can't speak to their quality).

if these are the BBC ones, what I've seen is quite good. I actually prefer their more straightforward version of Titus Andronicus to the Julie Taymor version.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Erebus posted:

I think Branagh's version is considered pretty definitive, if only for being the only unabridged film version of Hamlet (it's over 4 hours long). But it's also just a really well done production besides.

Ken Dodd as Yorick was a stroke of genius.

e: I forgot about BRIAN loving BLESSED as Hamlet Sr!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Erebus posted:

All of Branagh's features give me gas, but I have more fun when he is bleach blonde like he seems to love so much.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Erebus posted:

Some of the big name actors he put in roles were pretty painful, but the film is so incredibly lush (I saw it in theaters with the 70mm print) and so beautifully shot that I still love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
If you're having trouble following Shakespeare I'd absolutely recommend reading along or even just reading the plays on their own- yeah, it's meant to be performed, but annotation helps explain the turns of phrase and you can get used to the structure.

Sometimes just having a summary helps- when I saw Winter's Tale at Shakespeare in the Park the notes in the program basically talk about the entire structure and the whole plot arc.

• Locked thread