Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sheep-Goats posted:

Bellbro from soul memory 80k-250k, after that put your red sign or dragon sign on the Iron Keep bridge. Dragon assures you of fairer fights and more variety in who summons you but you can get the red stone way before the dragon egg and putting your red sign down ain't bad.

I'm well beyond 250k SM already, so does that mean it's not really worth going Bellbro on this character? (That's fine if so--I'm about to make another character to try out a pure STR build who can run right to a Belfry.)

EDIT: As for other PvP covenants, how well does Blue Sentinels work? I always wanted Darkmoon Blade to work better in DS1, so I'd kind of like to give it a whirl in DS2 if it's not (once again) kind of dead for actual PvP.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cainer
May 8, 2008
I don't know how it is in NG+ but in NG I can never ever find any sinners to invade and no matter how long I keep the ring on I barely ever get any summons.

Cainer fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Oct 21, 2014

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Welcome to Darkmoon Blue Sentinels.
Also go NG+ but don't expect much. I never got ring summons in NG+ either but orbs occasionally. Or yeah, just join BOB.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I got invaded by blue guys a heck of a lot when I was running through the third DLC in NG++ and like ten million SM a couple weeks ago. Though that was somewhat recently after the dlc was released so... yeah.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Harrow posted:

I'm well beyond 250k SM already, so does that mean it's not really worth going Bellbro on this character? (That's fine if so--I'm about to make another character to try out a pure STR build who can run right to a Belfry.)

EDIT: As for other PvP covenants, how well does Blue Sentinels work? I always wanted Darkmoon Blade to work better in DS1, so I'd kind of like to give it a whirl in DS2 if it's not (once again) kind of dead for actual PvP.

I've never had any luck with Blue Sentienels but I stick almost always to lower soul levels so in the ranges I'm at almost no one has accumulated sin.

Bellbro stuff can work above 250k but summons are a lot less frequent. I'll often rush directly toward the dull ember on a new character (Dragonrider > rotate path > Skeleton Lords > Snake Wench > dull ember), then after I get the dull ember I skip Smelter and open the hidden path to Belfry Sol and join up there. Usually that puts me at about 100k SM because I off Pursuer and Last Giant to have access to the Bastille / blacksmith / Drang shield early on too. I then go over to the Bastille with my ring for some bellbroing / free chunks.

For your strength guy I suggest dumping stones into the mace. Save all the extras for an estoc, then when you start bellbroing use that and you can +10 it pretty quickly with the chunks you get and being able to buy large shards from the blacksmith if you have the dull ember. I usually use the estoc one handed so the R2 sweep is available to me, use the rolling attack to chase them when they roll away for a free hit most of the time. If you're feeling saucy the Small Leather Shield has a good parry window (but remember that big two weapons when two handed are mostly not parryable nor are jumping attacks) but try to avoid the shield pokes as they're terrible ( if your shield is up for blocking open with the R2 instead).

Brotherhood is the worst PVP experience. It's full of 13 year old katana spamming tryhards. There are some really great PVPers in there but you really have to dig through the trash to find them sometimes. Try it out though.

raton fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Oct 21, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It's always worth trying to bellbro since if you can win it's a free titanite chunk. Belfry Luna really sucks though, at least for me. I get more gank squads waiting at my spawn location than anything there.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Sheep-Goats posted:

Brotherhood is the worst PVP experience. It's full of 13 year old katana spamming tryhards. There are some really great PVPers in there but you really have to dig through the trash to find them sometimes. Try it out though.

I was really hoping with the DLC's and all people would start using other weapons then freaking katanas but last night almost every red sign on the bridge was a katana wielding jerkface and on the rare occasions when I did summon people who weren't holding katanas, the second they got in my world they equipped one. So I mostly stuck to the dragon summons but then most of them chugged every chance they got, still got some fun fights but man, frustrating.

Cainer fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Oct 22, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I really don't get why you're complaining about katanas in the arena. Even if you think they're bad they'd only be the tip of the iceberg (the bottom being Jester's top and Ironclad armor).

Cainer
May 8, 2008
Arena? I was talking about the iron keep bridge. I actually didn't see many jester or ironclad sets last night. Couple havels but they're usually pretty easy to take out. Hell if I was talking about Arena I would probably be bitching about the lack of an SM filter, that poo poo is dumb.

Katanas just annoy the crap out of me cause they are super fast, have crazy phantom reach and completely murder me in 2-3 hits. And like the Dranglic set, almost everyone uses them!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Welp, there you go, Dark Souls 2 soft banning is confirmed for real and I am in fact softbanned. I can still see bloodstains, phantoms, and messages, but I cannot invade/be invaded or summon non-NPC players. I can also still use the blue/red/etc. arena. Kickass!

For reference, here's the email I sent to them:

quote:

Hello, my name is CJacobs (Doomish). I haven't seen a summon sign or been invaded in almost hundreds of hours of gameplay in Dark Souls 2 now and I'd just like to ask if I am softbanned. That said I don't want anything to be done about it, I much prefer the game this way, I'd just like to know if softbanning really is a true element of the game or not.

Here is a link to my Steam account. Please let me know if I am softbanned and if that is a real thing in the first place. I've heard rumors, but nothing concrete.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Doomish/

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Oct 22, 2014

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Genocyber posted:

I really don't get why you're complaining about katanas in the arena. Even if you think they're bad they'd only be the tip of the iceberg (the bottom being Jester's top and Ironclad armor).

It is pretty poo poo when you summon someone who isn't holding one and the first thing they do is pull out their loving katana and buff it.

On the flip side I got summoned like crazy the other day when I was trying out the Drakeeper's Warpick in PVP. It's not a bad weapon but what I won there was mostly on the back of my off hand estoc -- the sweet spot damage thing really blows but it does crank out Gyrm Hammer damage at a halberd rate, and a riposte with it was a OHKO for most of my foes.

raton fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 22, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Welp, there you go, Dark Souls 2 soft banning is confirmed for real and I am in fact softbanned. I can still see bloodstains, phantoms, and messages, but I cannot invade/be invaded or summon non-NPC players. I can also still use the blue/red/etc. arena. Kickass!

For reference, here's the email I sent to them:

Nah, if you're softbanned you can still play with other people, just only those also softbanned. You can also easily undo it by doing what I said a few posts ago.

Sheep-Goats posted:

It is pretty poo poo when you summon someone who isn't holding one and the first thing they do is pull out their loving katana and buff it.

Not really. Katanas aren't any hard to fight against than any other non-super slow weapon.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Genocyber posted:

Nah, if you're softbanned you can still play with other people, just only those also softbanned. You can also easily undo it by doing what I said a few posts ago.

Ohhhh, that makes sense I guess. Not ever being invaded is nice, I'm finally getting the singleplayer Dark Souls experience I wanted.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
On the other hand, it's a little funny the first time you summon somebody and they're wearing something normal, then switch to a completely different set, weapon, and playstyle.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
They're harder to fight against than any other fast weapon because they have more range, tracking, win every trade, and the hitbox on the running attack is feedlot grade bullshit. I know you like and want to defend katanas but you might as well defend racism. They're both just wrong.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Genocyber posted:

Not really. Katanas aren't any hard to fight against than any other non-super slow weapon.

150 counter multiplier :eyepop:

Bingo
Aug 18, 2003

Just checking because I realized I didn't know the answer: does Enchanted get reduced benefit from RoB/Flynn's Ring, like other infusions do? Who am I kidding From want enchanted to be totally worthless, of course it does.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
mitebcool

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
That's bullshit, I said, spitting my drink out onto the floor. I can only be so erect.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Wouldn't be surprised if they had a DLC thing for the Majula box weapons or something. Even if this is real I doubt it'd be a full sized thing, though I do hope I'm wrong.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Well we got the crowns, it was only time before we finally got the shadow dwarves.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

Wouldn't be surprised if they had a DLC thing for the Majula box weapons or something. Even if this is real I doubt it'd be a full sized thing, though I do hope I'm wrong.

It would be unusual to add a new branch yesterday to support the changing Majula box which has been around for ages. Especially since they already have a fully implemented and widely used system for altering things like that, the calibration system.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I think you've misread what I said there. I meant they might take those weapons and sell them separately, the box itself has nothing to do with anything.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
The next DLC has you using the Ashen Mist Heart on...the Sunbro Altar, which sends you back to the past to fight...Mecha-Gwyn, Lord of Robot Sunlight

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

The next DLC is obviously a DS1 boss rush DLC featuring every boss except Bed of Chaos.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I really wish DS2 had a boss rush mode.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
No, no, the Bed of Chaos spews the boss rush, and the final boss is the Bed of Chaos in its final form.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Fereydun posted:

The next DLC is obviously a DS1 boss rush DLC featuring every boss except Bed of Chaos.

I'd play the poo poo out of this, no joke.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Fereydun posted:

The next DLC is obviously a DS1 boss rush DLC featuring every boss except replaced by Bed of Chaos.

Have fun in the Capra hole, shitlords.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Somewhere in the distance, a wild man in an onion helmet and the Elite Knight set looks up, and marches to his destiny armed with his Claw and Silver Knight shield.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Flytrap posted:

Have fun in the Capra hole, shitlords.

The two safe spots would overlap because they're so close and it would never be able to hit you. Also, there's no chasm which is the real boss fight. Now, a back to back Dragon God/Bed of Chaos fight where the Bed actually reset if you died? That would be obnoxious as gently caress.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Manatee Cannon posted:

The two safe spots would overlap because they're so close and it would never be able to hit you. Also, there's no chasm which is the real boss fight. Now, a back to back Dragon God/Bed of Chaos fight where the Bed actually reset if you died? That would be obnoxious as gently caress.

Probably wouldn't be that bad if this time around the Bed of Chaos was finished properly, given it's the result of running out of time.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Made a PVP vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlZjvtMYc44

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
You're a lot better at PVP than I am. I'm also surprised how much damage you're doing with that thing on crits. On paper it looks pretty unimpressive.

raton fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Oct 22, 2014

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

So, I'm currently right in the middle of my Covenant of Champions / Dual Caestus run. I'm pretty close to getting Flynn's Ring, and from then on, it's Powerstance Caestus all day long. :toot:

Just one question, though: I'd rather want to use the unarmed strike than the Caestus, especially later on when I got the Bone Fist. But for that, I need the Vanquisher's Seal. After looking it up, it seems the most efficient way of getting Awestones is repeatedly using Ascetics on the first Grave of Saints bonfire, and murdering the NPC invader twelve times per reset or something. No big deal. But is there any way to get a lot of Ascetics early? I don't want to use the Vanquisher's Seal for the last sixth of the game or so!

Additionally: how exactly does the damage reduction in the Champion Covenant work? Does it reduce the bonus from Flynn's Ring as well?

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I'd play the poo poo out of a boss rush mode in any of the Souls games.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Artorias, manus, fume knight at the same time in shrine of amana. :getin:

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Change shrine of Amana with Lost Izalith and you have a deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

No, they'd still be of to the sides, and you'd still have to cross the gap, you just wouldn't see them and will have to clip through geometry to get anywhere.