Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
Star Trek -style sliding doors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Bead curtain.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Bad Munki posted:

Overhead door like in a garage.

There is nothing above or below that doorway. The space under the stairs is empty, so I could use that area to rig up some gears and counterweights to make it a vertically opening door. I just need to figure out how to have a pre-delay with a whirring noise, then add some clicking sounds (like a roller coaster going up the first incline) as the door opens. Dry ice would work for the wooshing smoke on a short term basis, but I'd need something else for a long-term solution.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

SkunkDuster posted:

The space under the stairs is empty

Oh, perfect, build yourself a bookshelf in front of the stairs where the doorway was and then have a series of complex, unrelated puzzles elsewhere in your house that will lead to clues that will allow you to open the bookshelf which will lower to become a set of stairs.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Just make a portal

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

That staircase abomination reminds me of all the great stuff to be seen at this website.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

6 years old. Terrible.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.
What's the best way to fill a hole in a steel entry door? I think it's steel, it has an insulated core. I got a new door knocker but it doesn't line up with the old holes. It sounds like I need auto body filler, but I've also seen canned insulating foam suggested online.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

WeaselWeaz posted:

What's the best way to fill a hole in a steel entry door? I think it's steel, it has an insulated core. I got a new door knocker but it doesn't line up with the old holes. It sounds like I need auto body filler, but I've also seen canned insulating foam suggested online.

Use auto body filler.

How do you plan on sanding and smoothing the hardened expanding foam? Also the right auto body filler is designed to be painted over, where plasticized foam will repel the paint.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

WeaselWeaz posted:

The same people who suggest canned foam for this will suggest it for auto body work. Ignore them.

Bondo's the right thing.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Thanks for the info!

ColHannibal posted:

Use auto body filler.

How do you plan on sanding and smoothing the hardened expanding foam? Also the right auto body filler is designed to be painted over, where plasticized foam will repel the paint.

The same articles claimed you could sand/prime the foam. Didn't sound right, but also sounded like less work so I figured someone could confirm it was wrong. I wish there were standards for door knockers.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

WeaselWeaz posted:

Thanks for the info!

The same articles claimed you could sand/prime the foam. Didn't sound right, but also sounded like less work so I figured someone could confirm it was wrong. I wish there were standards for door knockers.

I just went through this exact issue a month ago and no one piped up in this thread :argh:

My answer was to use SteelStik or something (a 2-part epoxy basically I think) after sanding down to metal. That dried rock hard and I was able to sand and paint it. I'll snap a pic tonight of the stuff if you need, phone posting atm.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Leperflesh posted:

The door really should just open into the room/hallway above instead. Having a door open into a stairwell is probably a little more dangerous for guests looking for the bathroom, and it's annoying as hell for someone coming up the stairs who has to back down the stairs a step or two when they open the door.

It's also a great way to get small kids hurt or loving killed by accidentally opening the door into them as they get to the top of the stairs. I've been at the bottom of similar stairs and seen a couple of those (non-fatal).

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

WeaselWeaz posted:

Are you the same person who wanted to fill your fire door with expanding foam?

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Vindolanda posted:

gently caress you, no.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
I wonder what there is for ER Idiot stories featuring expanding foam. :allears:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Splizwarf posted:

I wonder what there is for ER Idiot stories featuring expanding foam. :allears:

I guarantee you someone has stuck it up their butt.

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I guarantee you someone has stuck it up their butt.
If someone's done it with cement, then there's simply no question someone's done it with expanding foam.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

lonelywurm posted:

If someone's done it with cement, then there's simply no question someone's done it with expanding foam.

If you didn't already post this in the buttstuff thread... http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3469571

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

lonelywurm posted:

quote:

A thin layer of feces coated the surface and crevices. Grooves in the mass were consistent with rectal mucosal folds. A layer of concrete was chipped off the upper part of the specimen and revealed a white plastic ping-pong ball.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
Pathologists get to have all the fun.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

:cripes: I knew this thread would inevitably cross over into the health care stories thread.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Vindolanda posted:

No, that was me (but it wasn't a fire door). I didn't do it obv.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
I feel like someone should get a hollow core door and fill it with foam. For science.

Or art, because apparently you can pass off a lot of botched projects as "design decisions"

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

Antifreeze Head posted:

I feel like someone should get a hollow core door and fill it with foam. For science.

Or art, because apparently you can pass off a lot of botched projects as "design decisions"

I have a damaged hollow-core door in my house that I was thinking of replacing when my tenants move out. I may have to do try this.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Dragyn posted:

I have a damaged hollow-core door in my house that I was thinking of replacing when my tenants move out. I may have to do try this.
If you use high expansion foam, it will split at the seams. Those doors are put together with cardboard and prayer. Take video :)

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Crosspost from PYF Schadenfreude thread.

Woman Arrested After Becoming Trapped in Chimney at Thousand Oaks Home

As a homeowner, I can't decide if I would be more disturbed that a stalker tried to break in or that the firefighters jackhammered my chimney.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

canyoneer posted:

As a homeowner, I can't decide if I would be more disturbed that a stalker tried to break in or that the firefighters jackhammered my chimney.

I think I would be more disturbed about the former: the firefighters are only going to jackhammer your chimney once: not do it every saturday night until you promise to love them forever and fill them with babies.*

*unless you have a really weird Fire Department in your city.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

spog posted:

I think I would be more disturbed about the former: the firefighters are only going to jackhammer your chimney once: not do it every saturday night until you promise to love them forever and fill them with babies.*

*unless you have a really weird Fire Department in your city.

Well, you could always combine posts and try filling with expanding foam before the FD gets there...

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I've been helping a buddy move in to his new 54 year old house this past week. There's some dumb poo poo here and there (lovely home-done shelving has been most of it), but by and large it's been pretty decent so far. A few days ago we removed some AC vents in one of the bedrooms to paint and found that some of the ducting was styrofoam (with black mold growing on it) :smith:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
asbestos is the best-os!

(nice knob and tube, too.)

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Anyone know a good source for decent looking, reasonably priced fireplace doors? Lowes, HD, and Amazon only appear to have Pleasant Hearth, which are easy to install but don't have a lot of options.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

WeaselWeaz posted:

Anyone know a good source for decent looking, reasonably priced fireplace doors? Lowes, HD, and Amazon only appear to have Pleasant Hearth, which are easy to install but don't have a lot of options.

You might find a local store that sells fireplaces and supplies near you. I know we have two different fireplace stores here, and I live in loving Florida where you don't need a fireplace at all because it barely gets cold in the winter.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

How far back do you have to go to start finding solder and tape instead of wire nuts?

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Dick Trauma posted:

How far back do you have to go to start finding solder and tape instead of wire nuts?

My house is from 1953 and all the ceiling box connections are soldered and (cloth) taped.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
Welcome to Part 3 of our 6-part series, "How Lowe's Tells People To Build a Non-Code Compliant Deck"

Laminator fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Oct 25, 2014

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Can you be more specific as to exactly what you think isn't up to <some code in a jurisdiction we don't know for sure> in those videos? Nothing was outrageous, and all of it was very typical of commercial deck building 10-20 years ago.

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

Motronic posted:

Can you be more specific as to exactly what you think isn't up to <some code in a jurisdiction we don't know for sure> in those videos? Nothing was outrageous, and all of it was very typical of commercial deck building 10-20 years ago.

I don't think you are supposed to notch railing posts anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

It's also the precise series of videos used when my wife built our deck this year. If there's something massively illegal going on, it's important to know now, rather than in a few months when we sell the place.