Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
S1 was a pretty slow burn, at the start people just went along with it because it seemed like goofy, lighthearted fun and most were just pleasantly surprised it wasn't absolute dreck. I think episode 6 was the first one where people really sat up and paid attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Is there a way to see how popular a show outside of tv ratings? It seems that s2 is way more popular than s1 right now, with like 1/5th of the pixiv contributions that BSs1 had in only 2 episodes with barely any of the supporting/antagonists (and their gunpla) cast being revealed yet.

This is because Build Fighters S1 being really good was completely out of nowhere and unexpected so it took some time to build up momentum. Since we're dealing with a direct sequel to a recent popular show it's not really surprising that there's already an established fan presence.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Sei and Reiji got wrecked by Yuuki in both their first and second matches against him, to be fair.

The second fight was after-credits iirc which is why I don't think it registers the same way, plus the way cuts from action/after-action really draws the impact away. I actually didn't even see that scene until my second run at the series.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Sei and Reiji got wrecked by Yuuki in both their first and second matches against him, to be fair.

That said, I really don't see Gyanko taking the entire win. Yuuki did it because he was the series rival.

I wouldn't say wrecked given that both players were down to using their boosters to finish the fight.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Koopa Kid posted:

The second fight was after-credits iirc which is why I don't think it registers the same way, plus the way cuts from action/after-action really draws the impact away. I actually didn't even see that scene until my second run at the series.

The first fight was episode 2, and the second was episode 6. They were very much big affairs.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Kurieg posted:

I think he meant this, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medabots_%28video_game%29.

Though you'll be happy to know that pokemon TCG Gameboy is coming to the 3ds virtual console soon-ish
You'll be even happier to know that the fanslation of the sequel actually got finished a while ago.

Any more discussion than that would be :filez:, though. (And also even more off-topic than the rest of this tangent.)

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Personally I've never been a big fan of the second Yuuki fight. There's the part when they first close in and have a little five second sequence where the strike's gun gets crushed to death that I really like, but the entire rest of the fight is really lackluster to me. I dunno what everyone else loves about it.

The first Yuuki fight is incredible though, if a tad short.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

Personally I've never been a big fan of the second Yuuki fight. There's the part when they first close in and have a little five second sequence where the strike's gun gets crushed to death that I really like, but the entire rest of the fight is really lackluster to me. I dunno what everyone else loves about it.

The second fight also had the point blank unload-revolver-into-eyes grapple and two of the best songs in the series. Plus the zaku amazing is just rad as all hell and Yuuki hams it up excellently.

The first fight clearly had a ton of animation budget go into it, though. Probably as much as an equivalent length of Bloodhounds.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

ninjewtsu posted:

I think the main thing that gets everyone about the fight in episode six is just how much the Build Strike and the Zaku Amazing tear each other to shreds over the course of the fight. It's the kind of fight you'd expect to see at the end of a season between the protagonist and his Char clone, not something that you'd see 1/5th of the way into the season. Not to mention how brutal the fight itself was, and how the damage kept escalating until both sides were reduced to dogfighting in their respective booster units.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chumbler posted:

The second fight also had the point blank unload-revolver-into-eyes grapple and two of the best songs in the series. Plus the zaku amazing is just rad as all hell and Yuuki hams it up excellently.

The first fight clearly had a ton of animation budget go into it, though. Probably as much as an equivalent length of Bloodhounds.

I really hope we get another Bloodhounds-style fight with that Ez-SR team :pray:.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Have an episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYZKmEVz0CU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYZKmEVz0CU

Yo.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

:allears:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I cant watch it yet but the thumbnail alone looks (zaku) amazing.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Yes yes yes! I knew Yuuma was going to end up like this :allears:

President owns, Eri owns.

Great episode, the fight was really well put together and let everyone shine.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Oct 22, 2014

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Yes yes yes! I knew Yuuma was going to end up like this :allears:

He is an AMAZING little shithead.

bondster
May 6, 2007

I loved the popup on Yuuma's machine there at the end A LOCKON IS NOT POSSIBLE IN ALL

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

No matter the time or setting, snipers yelling at idiot teammates not to block their view remains eternal.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Haha, the thread theory came true Ral is 35 forever.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Gyanko's such a smug poo poo, I love it.

EDIT: So yeah Gyanko's the best and here's to her winning the Karate Bowl.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Oct 22, 2014

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I hope that the theme playing when Gyanko and her team show up to the battlefield is Gyanko's because the chorus in the background going Gya Gya Gya Gya Gya is too good for it to not be.

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014
Gyanko owns so much harder than I thought she was going to.

Also holy poo poo Ramba, you're so perfect.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Sekai's master is training in the Guyana highlands.
:allears:

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Ah yes, the Concession Signal.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Love Love Tengyanken. Let's make it real.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Awesome episode, my face almost hurts from smiling the whole way through. :haw:

OMG, the "R35" stands for "Ral 35 years old." Beyond perfect. :swoon:

Gyanko was awesome and I'm rooting for her with Sekai. I also liked seeing Fumina getting to out fox the other team, that poo poo-eating grin spreading across her face when she tricked one of the other team into getting sniped was awesome. :black101:

I'm loving the way the characters are playing off of each other, it's just so fun. :allears:

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Much better episode than the last one, This show is a lot of fun.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Love Love Tengyanken. Let's make it real.

:agreed:

I'm glad the show keeps getting better, looking forward to learning the majesty of SD next episode.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Dj Meow Mix posted:

:agreed:

I'm glad the show keeps getting better, looking forward to learning the majesty of SD next episode.

Please let there be a Captain Gundam. He's so cool.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Oh haha, Gyanko's VA is the same lady that did Sazaki's voice.

Family ties run deep.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
That was a really fun episode! Gyanko seriously is the best, but I loved how everyone got their own focus in this week's battle.

If they were to bring only one character back from last season, I hope that Sazaki shows up later in the show with some monstrous Gyan hybrid.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Nondevor posted:

That was a really fun episode! Gyanko seriously is the best, but I loved how everyone got their own focus in this week's battle.

If they were to bring only one character back from last season, I hope that Sazaki shows up later in the show with some monstrous Gyan hybrid.

I hope he's actually won something, is beautiful and is a gyan superstar. Having everyone just go :swoon: when he shows up would be great.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That was a significantly better episode that the previous ones although the "save Gyanko before her machine gets sucked out" thing is pretty goddamn nonsensical. It's a Gunpla Battle. It will just be a ring out and even if it wasn't it isn't like space is lava.

I can buy her teammates being concerned and Sekai is kinda a knucklehead, but why the heck was Fumina worried?

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Please let there be a Captain Gundam. He's so cool.

Captain Gundam is the only thing I expected to see less than G-Saviour. Considering that showed up...

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Oct 22, 2014

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
I hope Bandai will release HGBF kits of Team Gyanko's models.

I have a feeling I'll be saying that after every episode now. Please just make a kit of everything, Bandai, even if it only shows up in the background for two seconds. I'll buy it!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Well Manicured Man posted:

I hope Bandai will release HGBF kits of Team Gyanko's models.

I have a feeling I'll be saying that after every episode now. Please just make a kit of everything, Bandai, even if it only shows up in the background for two seconds. I'll buy it!

Gyanko's machine for sure. I doubt you're seeing her teammates machines though. Honestly, I'd expect that for pretty much all the major teams. Whoever the 'protagonist' character is will get models, their nameless sidekicks won't. (Unless it is a team with multiple main characters, of course, although the EZ-8 team is kinda of cheating there.)

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Probably the main rival's entire team, and maybe the Meijin's team too.

BTW, we have the name for the Hyaku Shiki variant used in the OP. The kanji reads as 'Million Shiki' and the pronunciation is 'Mega Shiki.'

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
More G Gundam references:

-Sekai's master training the Guiana (Domon was trained by Master Asia in the "Guyana Highlands")
-Gyanko's teammates were a customized Nobel Gundam and Rising Gundam both using the Rising Gundam's Beam Naginata.

Pyronic fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Oct 22, 2014

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

That was a significantly better episode that the previous ones although the "save Gyanko before her machine gets sucked out" thing is pretty goddamn nonsensical. It's a Gunpla Battle. It will just be a ring out and even if it wasn't it isn't like space is lava.

I can buy her teammates being concerned and Sekai is kinda a knucklehead, but why the heck was Fumina worried?

Build Fighters routinely blurs the dialogue/logical reaction line between "actually piloting/inside the robot" and "i'm driving this model around like a fancy RC car". The pilots constantly grunt and yell when their suits do stuff or take hits(see Fumina yelling in pain while the Agrissa was hitting the Cardigan with the plasma field), they do action camera cuts when the model is falling or getting knocked about as though the pilot is actually being thrown around, and silly stuff like "But we don't want to leave Aila/China behind!" when their Gunpla got trashed at the end of season 1. It's silly and I don't think there's any real reasoning for it besides "everyone is REALLY REALLY into this poo poo so they get caught up in the moment".

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
"Club de bataille de Gunpla." :allears:

The french is even correct! A rarity in these things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Typical goon. Doesn't know how to woo a lady...

• Locked thread