Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Jack Trades posted:

Turn everything to max, become one of those people with Rank C computers that turn every match into a power point presentation.

the dark hadou !

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Mio Bison posted:

There's a video of Daigo Ryu vs. Nishikin from the early days of Ultra and when Daigo is holding down-back and inching forward every five seconds hoping Nishikin will throw the round away you can almost see the wheels in his head spinning like "why the gently caress am I playing this character".

Yeah just a "Hot Tip" for anyone out there, whenever Daigo is not maining Ryu, it's a good enough sign to stay away from him for a patch or two.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
Is there a guide or a breakdown of where characters fall in USF4?

By this I mean which are zoners, agressors, defensive, etc...

Trying to figure out what fits my style best and look at characters in that area.

Currently I'm playing two high execution required characters. As a novice this is pretty brutal. I'm still trying to get the basics of plinking understood.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Al Borland posted:

Is there a guide or a breakdown of where characters fall in USF4?

By this I mean which are zoners, agressors, defensive, etc...

Trying to figure out what fits my style best and look at characters in that area.

Currently I'm playing two high execution required characters. As a novice this is pretty brutal. I'm still trying to get the basics of plinking understood.

The usf4 strategy guide lists the archetypes and the theoretical matchups. Pick a main and then someone easy to play that covers your main's worst matchups.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Oct 22, 2014

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Fauxtool posted:

The usf4 strategy guide lists the archetypes and the theoretical matchups. Pick a main and then someone easy to play that covers your main's worst matchups.

There isn't an online version of this is there?

E:

According to the guide I should main Juri and play vega as my second :3:

Works for me.

Al Borland fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Oct 22, 2014

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Al Borland posted:

If you're gonna play Vega I'm just gonna tell you at once. Don't ever use non-EX Sky High Claw or Flying Barcelona Attack.
Spamming those and hoping that you can confuse your opponent enough to win is a scrubs way of playing Vega and it will never work against smarter players.
Do yourself a favor and learn neutral game instead.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

So turtles are effective against vortex-based fighters, while vortex-based fighters are effective against turtles. Seems legit.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Veib posted:

So turtles are effective against vortex-based fighters, while vortex-based fighters are effective against turtles. Seems legit.

Maybe someone more experience can correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I know that's kind of true.
What they mean is that turtlers usually have tools to keep vortex characters from landing a knockdown on them and starting their vortex but once they do the turtlers have a hard time stopping it since they usually don't have good reversals.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Al Borland posted:

There isn't an online version of this is there?

E:

Works for me.

Juri is actually one of the best zoner right now and the only reason she's in the dive kick list is because she has a dive kick.

Also, I wouldn't suggest Juri for a begginer and I'm saying that as someone who picked her as the first character to learn the game with.

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Oct 22, 2014

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Why did they even put that in the guide. That's seriously the most useless and uninformative poo poo possible.

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

If Dhalsim is a dive-kicker then why isnt he effective against Viper?

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Makoto axe kick counts as a divekick according to the guide I guess?

And Rose not listed as a footsies character :psyduck:

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Makoto is not a dive-kicker. If anything, they should have said rushdown \ mixups or something.

And while Fuerte is a wrestler he really doesn't play anything like the other grapplers at all and I wouldn't include him in that group.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Fuerte is a vortex character. How the hell is he listed as a grappler? :confused:

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Oct 22, 2014

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
because he uses throws, duh.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Yun is my fav grappler in SF4

Waynebo
May 18, 2004

Look at that subtle off-white coloring.
The tasteful thickness of it.
Oh my god. It even has a watermark.
being good at the game is effective against everyone worse than you

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Yes, luchadores are grapplers in real life but Fuerte doesn't even have a proper command grab. Street Fighter characters are not exactly good representations of real martial arts

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Fuerte does flying flippy poo poo that's fast paced and dizzying to follow. He fits the high-flying luchador archetype pretty well. But yes, not exactly a "real" martial art representation. :v:

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
Makoto axe kick is functionally a dive kick but I wouldn't agree with calling her a dive kicker or the term "dive kicker" in general

Captain Flame Guy
Mar 11, 2012

Wouldn't renaming "dive-kicker" to "rushdown" or something similar be more accurate?

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Trykt posted:

Makoto axe kick is functionally a dive kick but I wouldn't agree with calling her a dive kicker or the term "dive kicker" in general

It takes a little bit of effort to make it safe now too :v:

Captain Flame Guy posted:

Wouldn't renaming "dive-kicker" to "rushdown" or something similar be more accurate?

Not all good rushdown characters divekick, divekicking characters tend to just be relentless hounds.

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

I think his point is that the category of dive-kicker shouldn't even exist, because they're just rushdown characters (and Juri doesn't belong here period). Likewise the grappler category might as well be merged with vortex.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

a!n posted:

I think his point is that the category of dive-kicker shouldn't even exist, because they're just rushdown characters (and Juri doesn't belong here period). Likewise the grappler category might as well be merged with vortex.

Grapplers are a really well-defined archetype, the weirder category is "vortex characters", which tells you nothing about how they play at neutral. I mean, Akuma and C. Viper and Gen don't really play anything alike.

Puzzle Thing
Dec 12, 2006
Your life is as steak!
I can't even count how many times I've gotten messages from people trying to tell me Juri is a rushdown character and that I'm totes playing her wrong. I have no idea why people think this, and why there are so many of them. She's more like "aggressive zoning" if anything.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Puzzle Thing posted:

I can't even count how many times I've gotten messages from people trying to tell me Juri is a rushdown character and that I'm totes playing her wrong. I have no idea why people think this, and why there are so many of them. She's more like "aggressive zoning" if anything.

Feng Shui Engine

They're still dumb though because her zoning is way better than her rushdown.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Elephant Ambush posted:

Feng Shui Engine

They're still dumb though because her zoning is way better than her rushdown.

She's supposed to capitalize on knockdowns, but you get those knockdowns by playing lame and baiting your opponent into making a mistake. At least that's how I've always looked at it. Poison's probably gonna evolve into that too, a character with good pressure options but one that gets her opportunities thru zoning.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
Uh it's pretty obvious that Juri is a rushdown character, you gotta jump back a lot and then when your opponent walks forward BAM you do the dive kick and rush down to hit them.

tunaism
Dec 24, 2011
If they block it just mash out two ex pinwheels. The second one is for mindgames

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Also don't charge your FB's that is just a glitch that Capcom refuses to correct out of pure hubris.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Periodiko posted:

Uh it's pretty obvious that Juri is a rushdown character, you gotta jump back a lot and then when your opponent walks forward BAM you do the dive kick and rush down to hit them.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Periodiko posted:

USF4 Changelog posted:

Juri:
- Light, Medium, Heavy Shikusen: Cannot be performed when jumping backwards

character ruined gg crapcom

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

As T. Hawk, what should I be doing on a successful body splash? I usually just end up doing splash > cr.lp xx DP but it feels far from optimal and sometimes I go on autopilot when the splash gets blocked and end up leaving myself open for an easy punish.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I often follow it with cl.mk or cr.mk tick throw
it works great since they are -2 to +2 on block or hit so the tick throw usually works

Better players use cl.mp confirmed into a dp

I also like using cl.hk because it gives a hard knockdown and plenty of dmg and stun. It's 0 on block so it also works well for setting up a 50/50. It does whiff on several crouchers so pay attention.

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug
You can get off multiple cl.mps now before a DP (character and corner dependant) or cl.mp, cr.lp xx dp EDIT: that should say cl.mp, CL.lp xx dp

If you feel like stylin you can do cl.mp, cl.mp XX lk condor spire, lp, cr.mk xx lk condor spire. The second condor spire may whiff, I've never actually done it cause the link after the first condor spire is hard as poo poo. And it may not even work off of a jumpin splash? I would test it but I am merging from hitbox to an actual stick and I am completely garbage.

Also the (I think systran) method of just doing a bunch of crouching/noncrouching lps linked into mp is pretty good too if you aren't confident in your ability to hit confirm.

Foodahn fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 23, 2014

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Yeah I used to do a lot of cr. lp link to st. mp, but now it's better to do a few cr. lp into cr. mk. Obviously if you can actually hit confirm with cl. mp xx DP that is way better.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
Are there any decent setups for Akuma's U2? I'm having trouble finding anywhere I can use it other than mid-teleport which limits the effectiveness...

During a match last night I thought I'd been able to cancel his forward+MP overhead into it, but I have been unable to reproduce that now in training mode.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
dont infiltration and tokido (with a hardwired up button) use it as a punish by linking from fierce?

tunaism
Dec 24, 2011
Basically it's stand fierce cancelled into teleport which is then canceled into the ultra all in one ridiculous motion. Any up motion counts (ub, u, uf) so that helps when you're hammering it out. It's hard as balls though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
The combo is close HP xx Teleport xx Ultra 2 which can be done with a normal stick but is significantly easier with the up button. Other than that, U2 is to catch people trying to punish a teleport or to punish certain moves like Rufus' EX Messiah Kick (though Rufus can do an as-late-as-possible LK ender to beat Akuma U2).

• Locked thread