Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Hdip posted:

What I notice with our just turned 2 year old is when his auntie comes over and just hangs out he does better than when she screams excitedly and tries to hug him right away. He warms up to visitors if they don't overwhelm him right at first.

So basically treat a toddler like a cat.

I don't have much advice. Our toddler is super social (especially to women). My husband and I are pretty introverted so we don't know where it came from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Axiem posted:

I second the "act natural". If you're comfortable around someone, especially if they're in your house, your children will learn to be comfortable. As for "bonding", that happens over time and interaction; he won't get that with a 2-year-old particularly quickly, most likely. The best y'all can do is just be friendly and family-ly.

This. And make a point of hugging him and showing how glad you and your husband are to see him - someone who is alreadly obviously "approved" by mum and dad is more likely to be accepted faster by her as well. But definitely talk to him ahead of time about not rushing up and bearhugging her immediately, and that bonding takes time. I'm sure you'll have a lovely meeting, and I hope he returns safe and sound to you.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

momtartin posted:

Anyone have good suggestions on introducing a toddler to new family members that won't freak them out? My daughter will be 22 months when she meets my brother for the first time ever next month, and she's only facetimed with him a few times. He's in the military so it's not like he has a chance to visit a lot, but he is also being deployed to the Middle East, so we won't see him for a year. He wants to "bond" with her, but I don't see that happening right away, and I want him to be able to spend time with her without her screaming for daddy.

Nth'ing the act natural. Don't ignore the kid but just have him focus on chatting with you and catching up. Wait until he's just "there" an hour or so, then have him maybe give her a small gift or get down to play or something.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Alterian posted:

This extend to cat toys believe it or not. I've had a lot of fun having my toddler chase a laser pointer. :iiam:

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Okay odd question. I've only seen Cobly do this once, when the wife was feeding him, hasn't done it with me. However, with her he was grinding his teeth. He only has 4 right now, and his top two have just came in the last week. Is this normal, or is there something I should be worried about?

An Cat Dubh
Jun 17, 2005
Save the drama for your llama
Tooth grinding is totally normal and totally annoying.

My son is 18 months old and was won over in a few days by my best friend's mom I think because she would engage with him over stuff he loves (showed him buses passing by, sang him his favorite songs that he'd only heard his dad and me sing before).

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Alterian posted:

My advice was going to be... treat a toddler like a cat. When my 4 y/o was 2, the harder you would try and ignore you, the more she would try and climb on you. Then when you'd introduce yourself, she'd climb under the chair.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Gothmog1065 posted:

Okay odd question. I've only seen Cobly do this once, when the wife was feeding him, hasn't done it with me. However, with her he was grinding his teeth. He only has 4 right now, and his top two have just came in the last week. Is this normal, or is there something I should be worried about?

Totally normal, insanely annoying. No harm in asking about it during a regular check-up if you're concerned, but I think it's just part of them figuring out what the hell these weird pointy things suddenly growing in their mouth are good for. My kid did it on and off for a few months before she finally quit. I made a point of stopping her whenever she did it, but that was more for my own sanity than anything else - the noise was like nails on a chalkboard to me.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

An Cat Dubh posted:

Tooth grinding is totally normal and totally annoying.

Sockmuppet posted:

Totally normal, insanely annoying. No harm in asking about it during a regular check-up if you're concerned, but I think it's just part of them figuring out what the hell these weird pointy things suddenly growing in their mouth are good for. My kid did it on and off for a few months before she finally quit. I made a point of stopping her whenever she did it, but that was more for my own sanity than anything else - the noise was like nails on a chalkboard to me.

Okay, I figured it was. Both my wife and I immediately grit our teeth when it happened. I'll just have to tell her it's normal. If he starts doing it frequently or something bad happens, then I'll call the Dr. Thanks!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

"Kitten Party" on Netflix is toddler crack.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

So... I got one of these today.

photomikey fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Oct 21, 2014

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.

Alterian posted:

"Kitten Party" on Netflix is toddler crack.

My kids are not toddlers and will probably watch the hell out of that now that we know it exists. Too Cute has been a regular feature on our netflix lineup. It drives me crazy that we have actual, live kittens in the house (we foster for our local SPCA) and they will still watch kitten shows on top of that.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

They also recently put up "Puppy Party" as well.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Alterian posted:

"Kitten Party" on Netflix

Oh my god, my screentime-hating toddler sat relatively still through 10 whole minutes of that! Thank you so much for the tip!

Also, pukechat finally caught up with me last night. She managed to somehow hit everything even vaguely bed-related, and after a second bout 15 minutes later, finally ended up sleeping in improvies wool jammies in her travel bed, under her newborn-size duvet. On occasions such as these I really wish her room was tiled from floor to ceiling and had a drain in the floor, so we could just hose down everything in it.

Off to google "how to get puke out of foam mattress" :barf:

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Sockmuppet posted:

Oh my god, my screentime-hating toddler sat relatively still through 10 whole minutes of that! Thank you so much for the tip!

Also, pukechat finally caught up with me last night. She managed to somehow hit everything even vaguely bed-related, and after a second bout 15 minutes later, finally ended up sleeping in improvies wool jammies in her travel bed, under her newborn-size duvet. On occasions such as these I really wish her room was tiled from floor to ceiling and had a drain in the floor, so we could just hose down everything in it.

Off to google "how to get puke out of foam mattress" :barf:

With you there. The boy had explosive from both end issues last night. He somehow miraculously managed to miss himself entirely with the puke. I just stuck him in the shower and hosed him off with the showerhead, and then a quick scrub down with some body wash. The rest of the room....was not so easy.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I've been reading up on it, but anyone got any hot tips on pinworms? We ordered some medication as well as food-grade dichotomous earth to make into a cream, but is there anything else we can do other than even more laundry than we do now?

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU

flashy_mcflash posted:

I've been reading up on it, but anyone got any hot tips on pinworms? We ordered some medication as well as food-grade dichotomous earth to make into a cream, but is there anything else we can do other than even more laundry than we do now?

My local Walgreens had a pinworm medicine in stock that required only two doses, one week apart. Saved me when I got them as an adult from somewhere, although it was somewhat expensive (like $20 for a tiny bottle that was enough for one dose for me and my wife). Worked well though; itching was gone after the first dose.

Otherwise, there's no good cure. Wash everything in hot water, wash sheets and bedclothes every day, teach the little guy/girl to wash his/her hands for future reference, and wait for the medicine to work.

Pendragon fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 22, 2014

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Pendragon posted:

My local Walgreens had a pinworm medicine in stock that required only two doses, one week apart. Saved me when I got them as an adult from somewhere, although it was somewhat expensive (like $20 for a tiny bottle that was enough for one dose for me and my wife). Worked well though; itching was gone after the first dose.

Otherwise, there's no good cure. Wash everything in hot water, wash sheets and bedclothes every day, teach the little guy/girl to wash his/her hands for future reference, and wait for the medicine to work.

Thanks. She's 19 months and we wash her hands all the time, but I'm positive this came from a girl in daycare who also had worms and it seems they spread pretty easily.

It's pretty sad when she wakes up at night saying 'bum hurts, bum hurts' :(

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Pendragon posted:

I had pinworms alot as a kid (piggly wiggly discount meat! Thanks being poor!) and I self treated because I was embarrassed - true story though - a big heaping spoonful of diced garlic used to do the trick for me.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
Question for the working parents. Do you belong to a parents group at work? If so, I'd love to hear about it (what you do, if it's helpful). If not, would you join one if your job had one? What would you want from such a group?

I'm trying to start such a group at my job and I'm frankly soliciting advice from every working parent I know.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I wouldn't if one were available, because I live in the south where every parent thinks spanking is the best and discipline and respect of authority if the most important thing and all kids these days are spoiled. I don't want to hear from them and they probably don't want to hear from me.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
There's a group for parents at work, but I'm not interested in it since I live 45 miles away so I really don't care that Elmo is coming to central park or whatever, and I already have so much to do in so little time.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
My wife tried a local non-work one. Turned out to be a cliquey gossip-fest so she stopped. But I'm sure there's some good ones out there.

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect

greatn posted:

I wouldn't if one were available, because I live in the south where every parent thinks spanking is the best and discipline and respect of authority if the most important thing and all kids these days are spoiled. I don't want to hear from them and they probably don't want to hear from me.

I too live in the south and this is not a common viewpoint among me and the other parents I know. Do you maybe live in a rural area?

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
It's a pretty common belief all over. I live in the NW and I know plenty of parents who believe that.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Yeah, it's a pretty common belief countrywide. Find an article about Adrian Peterson and read the comments.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
They're all kind of cliquey, but once you find one where you fit in the clique, the solace can be comforting. I started a dad's group and met a few cool people, and eventually jettisoned the group because I don't need 20 friends, just a couple. The 3 of us hung out a *lot* when the kids were young, and from time to time we would pick one up from the dad's group who would hang for a while.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Alright goons, got another question. Is there anything I can do to help with my boy's constipation? It's really hard, and sometimes he's having difficulty getting it out, and I try to 'help' him get as much out at a time as possible. He's eating fine, not lethargic at all, always energetic. He eats good food. 6 oz of formula then gerber's #2 formula (apples, veggies, sometims the "meal" blends like chicken rice carrots. Lots of veggies though. Prune and apples doesn't even seem to help) and I'm trying to get him to eat yogurt once a day or so instead of a normal meal. Is there anything else I can do?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Gothmog1065 posted:

Alright goons, got another question. Is there anything I can do to help with my boy's constipation? It's really hard, and sometimes he's having difficulty getting it out, and I try to 'help' him get as much out at a time as possible. He's eating fine, not lethargic at all, always energetic. He eats good food. 6 oz of formula then gerber's #2 formula (apples, veggies, sometims the "meal" blends like chicken rice carrots. Lots of veggies though. Prune and apples doesn't even seem to help) and I'm trying to get him to eat yogurt once a day or so instead of a normal meal. Is there anything else I can do?

Have you tried the ole glycerin suppository? We did that (cut a child's size up into quarters for our 1.5 month old at the time) and it took all of about 2 to 3 seconds before it just all came out!

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Is he going regularly? Does hard poop in babies mean constipation? Or is it just their body figuring out how to process everything?

The Grumpy Snail
Feb 15, 2012
White grape juice works wonders for us. I mix it in with her oatmeal at breakfast, and if she seems to be having extra trouble I spoon feed (she won't take sippie cups yet) a few tablespoons.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Hdip posted:

Is he going regularly? Does hard poop in babies mean constipation? Or is it just their body figuring out how to process everything?

He goes regularly, but really small amounts of hard stool usually after each meal. I've caught hima few times when he starts and "helped" him by massaging, and he'll push a lot out (while screaming as well). Pretty sure their stool should still be fairly soft and squish into their diapers at this point. It's an ongoing thing and not something that's just now happened. He's still eating healthily and was going great, but it's gotten hard again and I want to soften it back up. It's just I hate hearing him scream and grunt that hard when he's using the bathroom.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Gothmog1065 posted:

He goes regularly, but really small amounts of hard stool usually after each meal. I've caught hima few times when he starts and "helped" him by massaging, and he'll push a lot out (while screaming as well). Pretty sure their stool should still be fairly soft and squish into their diapers at this point. It's an ongoing thing and not something that's just now happened. He's still eating healthily and was going great, but it's gotten hard again and I want to soften it back up. It's just I hate hearing him scream and grunt that hard when he's using the bathroom.

More liquids? If it is hard then it sounds like it isn't moist enough. Give him some water between bottles and meals? How old is he?

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS
I like to call Gerber's Apple Prune juice "Baby Draino" because it always worked like a charm for my kids.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

jassi007 posted:

More liquids? If it is hard then it sounds like it isn't moist enough. Give him some water between bottles and meals? How old is he?

8 months (today actually :toot:). Should I start diluting his bottles more? 3 scoops of stuff for 8oz of water?

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

Gothmog1065 posted:

8 months (today actually :toot:). Should I start diluting his bottles more? 3 scoops of stuff for 8oz of water?

No, don't do that. Remember, formula/milk is a primary food, not a casual beverage for them. Give him a sippy cup of water between meals to increase his hydration. (Hard, pellety poop is often a sign of dehydration. How often does he wet? Does he get beverages outside of formula?) Or try a couple ounces of apple/prune juice once or twice a day. Prune juice (apple and pear juice too) works to combat hard poops by forcing more water to be drawn into the colon--it has sorbitol, a naturally occurring, very slowly absorbed sugar alcohol; the body naturally draws more water into the intestine to aid in it's absorption. (Sorbitol has been a known laxative since the late 1800's, is super safe, and you can get it in syrup form (Syrapalta is one) to use as a laxative.)

If it's an ongoing thing for him, what has your pediatrician said about it?

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Always make the formula to to recommended mixture.

Do you give him water with his solid meals? Do that if you aren't.

But do not dilute the formula.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
First and foremost, I'm not giving him less formula, I'm giving him more water. Instead of 6oz and 3 scoops with his solid food, he's getting 8oz and 3 scoops (He gets the full 8/4 with no solid food in the morning). If that is going to kill him then I'll give him water in between his feedings.

AlistairCookie posted:

No, don't do that. Remember, formula/milk is a primary food, not a casual beverage for them. Give him a sippy cup of water between meals to increase his hydration. (Hard, pellety poop is often a sign of dehydration. How often does he wet? Does he get beverages outside of formula?) Or try a couple ounces of apple/prune juice once or twice a day. Prune juice (apple and pear juice too) works to combat hard poops by forcing more water to be drawn into the colon--it has sorbitol, a naturally occurring, very slowly absorbed sugar alcohol; the body naturally draws more water into the intestine to aid in it's absorption. (Sorbitol has been a known laxative since the late 1800's, is super safe, and you can get it in syrup form (Syrapalta is one) to use as a laxative.)

If it's an ongoing thing for him, what has your pediatrician said about it?

He wets fairly well during the day, but at night it's like someone turned on a water faucet in his diaper (we have to change him in the middle of the night or he'll pee through every diaper we put on him). No beverages outside of formula as of right now. I'll get some more of those apple/prune combos from the store and see about getting him a sippy cup, suppose it's time to get him to learn how to use those.

It's been ongoing for a few weeks now, but again, he's active, smiling, happy moving and stuff otherwise. He's pooping, it's just hard and hurting him more often than I'd like. I'll give him more water and juice outside of his feedings. Haven't spoken to the pediatrician about it, really don't want an appointment outside of the regular appointments, but I am keeping a list of questions for when I go.

Basically before his 6 month he was fine. Soft poops, he went once a day/every other day, no issues. He then got sick and had diarrhea, was getting over that then got his shots which messed with his tummy. Then it was fine for a while then went back to the harder poop where we're at now. If he's having severe problems or I see something like blood he'll go to the dr asap.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

Gothmog1065 posted:

First and foremost, I'm not giving him less formula, I'm giving him more water. Instead of 6oz and 3 scoops with his solid food, he's getting 8oz and 3 scoops (He gets the full 8/4 with no solid food in the morning). If that is going to kill him then I'll give him water in between his feedings.

I've read that watering down formula is generally a bad idea because it can cause their sodium levels to be too low and that the ratio in the formula is specifically designed to give them the amount of water they need so any above that is generally too much. I think the recommendation is that you should never dilute formula, but once they hit 6 months you can give them sips of water when they are thirsty/with solid food and once they hit a year you can stop worrying about them drinking too much water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Yeah you should never water down formula (which is what you are doing).

Always prepare the formula as directed on the package.