Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Captain Invictus posted:

Working does have the better OP though I will give you that

Someone! (One One!) Someone! (One One!)

Honestly I included it in that list just to fill it out to three examples though, it's not nearly the romantic comedy that SxS is, more like a sitcom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
So this Ghost in the Shell Thing. Is there a thread for it?

What order do I watch it in. Trying to watch something right now. What to start with?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

goodness posted:

So this Ghost in the Shell Thing. Is there a thread for it?

What order do I watch it in. Trying to watch something right now. What to start with?

The movies and Stand Alone Complex are two seperate continuities, so starting with either one's fine. The new GitS: Arise OVA is a prequel of how Section 9 came together, but I can't remember if it's just a GitS prequel in general, or specially a SAC one.

The movies are a bit more navel-gazey at times over the nature of what makes someone human, and the series by-and-large is more sci-fi SWAT team. The Stand Alone Complex order is SAC, Second GiG, then the movie Solid State Society.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Whether the movies or series are better than each other is an endless argument, but I always recommend people go with the series. Any episodes marked "stand alone" are self-contained episodes. GITS:SAC has some of the highest production values of a tv anime I've ever seen, it's really amazing looking when it counts.

And it also has one of my favorite scenes from any anime ever

edit: that said, the animation style changes almost every episode. I'm sure someone has that image showing the difference between every episode's Motoko Kusanagi, I can't find it though

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Oct 19, 2014

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
SAC is one of my favorites, but if you're starting fresh, I don't see any reason not to start with the original movie. It's not directly connected to SAC, but it's a classic, and a good introduction to the setting and some of the characters. It takes a lot longer to watch a series, so might as well cross the movie off the list first and get the same introduction to the world everyone else had when they started SAC.

edit: Holy gifs, batman. Oh how I love that show.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Yeah. My personal order is: GITS movie 1, SAC1+2+SSS, GITS movie 2.

But, given that the Arise movies are also a separate continuity, and there are 4 of them out, you wouldn't be doing yourself a disservice by checking those out whenever you like.

(as for the above order the reasoning is this: without a more thorough knowledge of the side characters from GITS (be it the manga or the show) it falls kinda flat. As a fan of the first movie I hated the second for years until I had come back to it after watching the show, and it clicked for me. Batou and Togusa are great but you can't really connect with them based only on the characterizations presented in the first in second movie, IMO.)

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Sakurazuka posted:

If you want a yuri anime that's not completely terrible and actually has a proper ending you could try Kashimashi (the manga is still better though),

If you watch this one and enjoy it at all, do not watch the OAV. That's pretty safe advice for a lot of series, but unlike some that are just cheaply-made cash-ins, this one fucks up the series on top of it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captain Invictus posted:

Whether the movies or series are better than each other is an endless argument, but I always recommend people go with the series.

I never meant that one or the other were bad, just that they're different. I like both quite a bit :shrug:.

DamnGlitch posted:

Yeah. My personal order is: GITS movie 1, SAC1+2+SSS, GITS movie 2.

That sounds about right to me as well.

DamnGlitch posted:

(as for the above order the reasoning is this: without a more thorough knowledge of the side characters from GITS (be it the manga or the show) it falls kinda flat. As a fan of the first movie I hated the second for years until I had come back to it after watching the show, and it clicked for me. Batou and Togusa are great but you can't really connect with them based only on the characterizations presented in the first in second movie, IMO.)

The only thing I didn't like about SAC Second GiG was that Boma didn't get an episode to himself.

I did like that the Tachikoma's got treated as full agents though :allears:.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Che Delilas posted:

If you watch this one and enjoy it at all, do not watch the OAV. That's pretty safe advice for a lot of series, but unlike some that are just cheaply-made cash-ins, this one fucks up the series on top of it.

Eh, if you don't watch the OAV you're still left with a weird non-ending, at least if you do it it's actually finished and she ends up with the right girl. :v:
The manga handles the ending way better but shovels on a whole load of melodrama that the anime completely skips.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Sakurazuka posted:

Eh, if you don't watch the OAV you're still left with a weird non-ending, at least if you do it it's actually finished and she ends up with the right girl. :v:

The ending to the anime was a proper conclusion as far as I can remember (which to be fair is not a lot - it's been a long time since I've seen it). The notion of the "right" girl seems cheap, to me, especially when how they got there was essentially "Oops! Changed our minds!"

Maybe the OAV just rushed it too much and it wouldn't have irked me so bad if there had been any time at all to develop it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

'Right girl' was obviously a flippant comment based on my own preferences rather than objective fact. :v:

The TV series ending was fine up until the post credits sequence that strongly suggested that they broke up right after getting together and the OAV was nothing but tying themselves in knots trying to justify that and Tomari not telling Hazumu just to gently caress off.

Now I think about it the justification for a lot of the ending was pretty lovely and I ignored most of it because Tomari and Hazumu got together in the end like I wanted. I still stand behind it being the only yuri anime series that is remotely worth watching and actually has a proper ending, though. The manga still handles everything better though, even with the stupid 30 days to live thing that they ignored for the TV series.

Edit: It's also the only anime series I can think of that ends with a gay wedding. :3:

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 20, 2014

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I think Poor Poor Lips ended with a gay wedding too, didn't it? Been a while since I read it.

edit: oh, anime.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Captain Invictus posted:

I think Poor Poor Lips ended with a gay wedding too, didn't it? Been a while since I read it.

edit: oh, anime.

A number of yuri manga did. But so few yuri things get animated to completion.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

I still stand behind it being the only yuri anime series that is remotely worth watching and actually has a proper ending, though.

Counterpoint: Simoun. Even if you disagree on the first (fie!) it definitely has a proper ending at least.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Any supernatural investigation series that are pretty good?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

goodness posted:

Any supernatural investigation series that are pretty good?

Mononoke and, in a way, Mushi-shi.

There was also Un-Go, but it's kind of odd an not something everyone would like. I really liked it, but I'm the kind of guy that really likes detective mystery so it fit me well.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
So, while I'm readying myself to see Samurai Flamenco with my friend in my vacations, I've been watching/reading a lot of gag shows/comics. Tell me, is Muromi-san worth a spin?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Wark Say posted:

So, while I'm readying myself to see Samurai Flamenco with my friend in my vacations, I've been watching/reading a lot of gag shows/comics. Tell me, is Muromi-san worth a spin?

It's alright. It's a fairly funny dumb gag show with only a few bad episodes.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Wark Say posted:

Tell me, is Muromi-san worth a spin?

Yes. If for nothing other than this one cicada gag:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSWDEXZdSoA

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Is "say I love you" good? My wife and I enjoyed Ouran and Lovely complex. I was trying to find more information about it without major spoilers but all I have found is gushing teenagers, which makes me suspicious.

Koguma
Sep 1, 2007

One of the Big Seven !!
seconding mushi-shi if you like supernatural/investigation stuff. it's in like feudal japan, though, but everything's pretty great about it. especially the opening.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

CrazySalamander posted:

but all I have found is gushing teenagers, which makes me suspicious.

Yeah, that's about it. The romantic drama is equally dumb teenage stuff, with that nice veneer coating of shoujo perfect-male-specimen.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

CrazySalamander posted:

Is "say I love you" good? My wife and I enjoyed Ouran and Lovely complex. I was trying to find more information about it without major spoilers but all I have found is gushing teenagers, which makes me suspicious.

It's okay, skip the dull TV series though the manga is a lot better. It's still steeped in shoujo tropes but the main characters get into a relationship fairly early and it's more about coping with that that the usual 'will they won't they'.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

CrazySalamander posted:

Go look up Kare Kano / His and Her Circumstances. IDK if it's still in print but it had a great dub if I remember correctly.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeesh. Watched the Aoi Hana anime at the recommendation of a few posters in here. Gee, I was getting kind of into the main romance there. Shame it was barely in this 11 episode show. I mean, it was a decent show and I'll probably pick up the manga, but you guys weren't kidding when you said yuri anime has lovely endings. When one side of your main pairing could potentially be said to still be unware of her parter's feelings when the show comes to a close....just, eeesh. Every time Yasuko showed up in the last episode and a half just felt like they were hammering the point in way too drat hard. Felt like the secondary characters really wore out their welcome by the end.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yeesh. Watched the Aoi Hana anime at the recommendation of a few posters in here. Gee, I was getting kind of into the main romance there. Shame it was barely in this 11 episode show. I mean, it was a decent show and I'll probably pick up the manga, but you guys weren't kidding when you said yuri anime has lovely endings. When one side of your main pairing could potentially be said to still be unware of her parter's feelings when the show comes to a close....just, eeesh. Every time Yasuko showed up in the last episode and a half just felt like they were hammering the point in way too drat hard. Felt like the secondary characters really wore out their welcome by the end.

Yeah, the secondary characters made it even worse in the manga. It was published bi-monthly, and sometimes there'd be 2 or 3 chapters worth of time spent mostly on uninteresting side characters in a row. Now that you can marathon it, its not so bad but christ.

As far as anime goes, I thought Sasameki Koto was a far more enjoyable yuri anime, but it has the same "ending just when it was starting" problem.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Blhue posted:

Yeah, the secondary characters made it even worse in the manga. It was published bi-monthly, and sometimes there'd be 2 or 3 chapters worth of time spent mostly on uninteresting side characters in a row. Now that you can marathon it, its not so bad but christ.

As far as anime goes, I thought Sasameki Koto was a far more enjoyable yuri anime, but it has the same "ending just when it was starting" problem.

I didn't even think the side characters were bad, they just wouldn't ever go the gently caress away. Like, I was on board with Yasuko's subplot for most of the show, and then the wedding happened with like two episodes to go before the end and it seemed like her plot was done. But then she keeps butting back on-screen to be a dick to Kyoko and get shot down by Fumi and summarize her character again in case anyone missed it the first two times it was spelled out for them, and it winds up feeling like she ran the show's clock out before we could get more than a sliver of actual catharsis between Fumi and Akira AKA the supposed main couple the intro keeps showing frolicking in the drat flowers. But whatever. It didn't quite deliver the Warm Fuzzies as well as I'd hoped, but it was okay, certainly good enough for me to give the manga a shot.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not having a proper ending is true of like 70% of anime though since it's mostly just considered advertisement for ongoing manga. It does seem to be worse when it comes to anything shoujo for some reason though.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Spiritus Nox posted:

But whatever. It didn't quite deliver the Warm Fuzzies as well as I'd hoped, but it was okay, certainly good enough for me to give the manga a shot.

The manga is about 300% better, and I say that as one of the people who recommended the anime to you.

If you want to read manga you're in much, much better shape as far as yuri goes:
Aoi Hana
Sasameki Koto / Whispered Words
Girl Friends
Octave

Would all be great places to start.

Especially Aoi Hana, because Takako Shimura draws really well, and makes great use of watercolors for the covers

Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007
Just finished 'From the New World' and oh boy what a ride. Most underrated show from last year. If you looking for suspense, lite horror and grim action you should certainly watch it. Could almost call it a cross between M. Night Shyamalan's 'The Village' and '1984'.

Ending thoughts: Too bad the good guys lost. RIP Squealer. Your glorious bloody revolution almost succeeded in wiping out those slave driving psychokinetic inhumane monsters who killed their own defective children. And surely they deserved to be wiped out for having no effective counters readily available against a single active rogue psychic after 1000 years. Robots with radiation guns? AI automated orbital cannon?

Although it was not directly stated, is it assumed Marie and Mamoru were killed straight after Marie gave birth by the Queerats?
drat this show was dark.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I loved the Aoi Hana manga up until the rushed ending that I'm still not entirely convinced was a happy one.

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014

Help me out! I'd like to watch something funny/cute, along the lines of Azumanga Daioh and Nichijou.

The emphasis is on funny, though.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Kubla Khan posted:

Help me out! I'd like to watch something funny/cute, along the lines of Azumanga Daioh and Nichijou.

Non Non Biyori is a decent version of recent vintage.

Servant X Service is very funny, although less cute as it's about adult government employees.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dunno weather it's cute exactly, but Nichibros/Daily Lives of High School Boys is definitely emphasis on funny. Also Monthly Girls Nozaki-kun.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Kubla Khan posted:

Barakamon from last season should be right up your alley.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Hidamari Sketch could also be worth a try. All but a handful of episodes are up on Hulu now, I believe.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Blhue posted:

I thought it was just about the most low-effort adaptation of a manga I've ever seen. They just lifted each chapter from the manga wholesale and dumped it into the anime, one scene per page, one episode per chapter, each and every line (and more to the point, every little aside) voiced. If that sounds like a good thing because it's being faithful to the manga, it's not; the pace of the anime is just abysmally slow as a result.

I'm not trying to dump on you for enjoying it, this is just me being disappointed. I like the manga quite a bit and would have liked to see an anime adaptation that had even a little effort put into it.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Sydnesider posted:

Just finished 'From the New World' and oh boy what a ride. Most underrated show from last year. If you looking for suspense, lite horror and grim action you should certainly watch it. Could almost call it a cross between M. Night Shyamalan's 'The Village' and '1984'.

Ending thoughts: Too bad the good guys lost. RIP Squealer. Your glorious bloody revolution almost succeeded in wiping out those slave driving psychokinetic inhumane monsters who killed their own defective children. And surely they deserved to be wiped out for having no effective counters readily available against a single active rogue psychic after 1000 years. Robots with radiation guns? AI automated orbital cannon?

Although it was not directly stated, is it assumed Marie and Mamoru were killed straight after Marie gave birth by the Queerats?
drat this show was dark.

Dark doesn't come close. It was a disturbing, hellish ride from beginning to end.

I wouldn't call Squealer and co. the "good guys". They killed Marie and Mamoru, raised their child to be a psychopathic mass-eviscerator, imprisoned their queens under torturous conditions such that the only two things they could do were make babies or dies, and launched a genocide campaign against their psychokinetic overlords. Neither side was any better than the other, cliche as that sounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Ghost in the shell gifs

It's amazing how well this show has aged. You wouldn't think it started airing over ten years ago.

• Locked thread