Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

So my first real experience with TTRPGs, aside from owning and not understanding several 3.5 manuals when I was 11, was last year when I played in a friend's Edge of the Empire campaign. I had recently done my hundredth playthrough of KotOR, and so I had HK-47 on the brain. I rolled up an Assassin Droid, but decided to give him a more human twist: he was a runaway assassin droid (the star wars equivalent of a Chinese knockoff HK-47, to boot) who left his master after he decided he didn't like being a tool for corporate espionage / murder.

Being inexperienced with RPGs however, I didn't really make his personality shine through, and mostly kept to following around another player as a bodyguard. Then our group's resident drug-addict Jawa, along with our war-criminal Twi'Lek, went off to do a drug deal for some Booster Blue, and decided to bring me along for my translation software (the dealer was an Aqualish). We successfully negotiate with the dealer, who tells his human lakcey to accompany us to our ship to get "the goods," that we actually didn't have. As we walked back to our ship, the Jawa quiety told us that on his signal we were to knock out the runner and pump him for info about our actual goal: Black Sun datachips.

When the signal came I won initiative. I figured the best option was to hit him with a stun round from my blaster. It should be mentioned, also, that this was a busy spaceport on Nar-Shadaa.

I rolled, and critted. For those not in the know, a blaster carbine deals 9 damage, plus however many successes you roll on the attack. I ended up doing 16 damage including a critical hit. The lackey had 6 hp and nothing in the way of armor. The GM had to roll two crits, one that I rolled, and one for dropping the NPC to 0 hp. He was blinded, and his leg (I aimed for the knee in case he ran) was rendered permanently paralyzed. His body dropped like lead to the spaceport floor.

My droid dropped his carbine and simply looked at his metallic hands as security rushed to the commotion. He was truly programmed to be a monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

copperpauper
Oct 1, 2012

Flexible, Conductive, and Really, Really Poor.
The first time I played 3.5, I made a gnome evocation sorcerer, and was way over my head. I was used to stuff like 4e, and had a hard time understanding the scale of damage, and why blasting isn't that good. But, nevertheless, this gnome is the one of the reasons that people tell stories about me in our DND club here. People sat down. It was an event. Because my DM was telling the story of my biggest failure.

We had a rather normal group for DND. A venture capitalist wizard as our leader, a dwarf ranger, a half elf swashbuckler, and me, the gnome evocation sorcerer. We also had a DM cleric. We were tasked with a simple quest, where bandits had taken over an unused keep, and we had to murder the problem away. So we made it to the keep, and realized we couldn't enter it. So, while the swashbuckler grappling hooked his way up the wall, we picked off watchmen and made a hideous concoction out of some universal solvent and various magic things to dissolve a hole in the wall we could walk through.

Once we got inside, things escalated. The swashbuckler was jumping off walls so that he could crush people while stabbing them, the dwarf was an endless hail of arrows, and the wizard was summoning monsters to distract and kill. I cast magic missile a bunch. And once the various mooks were dispatched, the two main problems were shown. A raging half orc barbarian, and a human wizard. The orc moved closer, since he couldn't charge us, and the wizard cast obscuring cloud while next to him. I was up, and asked if I could do anything about the cloud, so the other guys could effectively fight the enemy. The DM said that any wind or fiery spell would get rid of it. So I came up with a very stupid idea. I waddled my gnome up to the fog, and said these exact words.

"I'm going to cast Burning Hands."

The table talk stopped, and I rolled damage. The DM asked me if I was sure, and I was. I dealt 7 damage, and from the mist, revealed an incredibly pissed off, mildly singed half orc. The other players started going through the laundry list of why what I did was not good for me. I'm not a front line fighter. Burning Hands is not the end-all of spells. The orc's turn rolled up, he walked up to my sorcerer, and almost cut him in half. Dropped the gnome to 1 hp. This made the cleric run over and pick me up, so that I wasn't turned into mulch. I was dragged off the battle field, while effective characters were doing competent things.

I'm still playing that gnome. And my friends haven't forgotten. Whenever anybody in our group gets the chance, we tell the burning hands story.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.
Our group also has this tradition three games running of making The Rock an NPC in whatever game we are playing. This NPC gets shoe horned into the story in some weird way, and we use him as an extra player character for passerby's and newbies. So whenever a friend shows up during game night, we hand them a stat sheet that says, Dwayne Johnson "The Rock," and tell them they're playing The Rock or they can leave. He's ridiculously OP, easy to play and a lot of fun to play. The only thing is, man or woman, introverted or rowdy, you have to do your best impression of The Rock at the table. If a character dies, and it takes a long time for them to get resurrected, or for them to role a new character... The Rock appears.

We played it like Dwayne woke up on Sunday. Put on his robe. Grabbed a folding chair. Took it down to his dock in Tampa, and began fishing when all of a sudden a portal opened transporting him to the boonies of Faerun. That's how it started.

Now playing The Rock is different for everyone. The best was a girl at my table in a game I DM'd. She would have The Rock breaking down and trying to keep it together, conflicting between himself and his wrestling alter-ego, while dealing with being transported to a land full of monsters and magic. Laughing, thinking he's in a dream. Then slowly realizing he isn't. She gave these great promos about overcoming the odds to an army trying to protect it's city walls. She said how every last one of them was a champion of the people and ended the speech with the The Rock making them all pancakes. It was so entertaining for everyone we were all kinda sad whenever they completed the quest to revive her character.

Another player, when handed The Rock, treated him as if he was a time-lord, and when things got hairy he kept searching for cameras and threatening people, telling them to bring Ashton out.

Another visiting player came up with this dissociative identity disorder for the Rock, based on the premise that he was born with a conjoined twin that held the power of his alter ego.

Anyway, watching people play The Rock was the most hilarious thing.

So. We are playing a shadowrun-like D20 game where cloning is a thing. I figure, in the near future, a lot of celebrities will have their DNA to be cloned on file before dying.

I was very disheartened when I brought my GM The Rock character sheet and he said, no. Nope. You can't be The Rock. No way.

Yesterday was a tragic day.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

GrumpyDoctor posted:

I was playing a homebrew system one time and shortly after one rule was tinkered with I pointed out that it interacted with another weird rule in such a way that figuring out the math for one particular action essentially involved solving a differential equation.

Just find someone who owns GURPS Vehicles; they probably already own Mathcad.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Gotta gush about the first live session of 13th Age I ever GMed tonight.

Took a little while to get going as a couple of people polished off their characters, but wended up with the following:

Andel, Paladin, the youngest dark elf to be given a position in the elven court, later framed in the process of averting an assassination.
Arienia, A wood elf ranger and ex-captain of the Queen's scouts, originally responsible for hunting Andel
Dinkygin Wobblesprocket, gnome sorcerer, imperial handmaiden turned performance artist and horse whisperer.
and a rogue whose name currently escapes me, but was nicknamed Roaches, as it was a sentient hivemind of roaches in the approximate shape of a halfling.

Amongst various goofs and such, the party took a ferry to Glitterhaegen, fought some demonic goblin pirates, harassed a spam obsessed woman and stumbled onto a plot by a Lich baroness to raise an undead army. Pretty good fun all round.

At one point Roaches was mistaken for another party member who will be joining us next session, a Dharakul necromancer-for-hire.

Daetrin
Mar 21, 2013

Roach Warehouse posted:

At one point Roaches was mistaken for another party member who will be joining us next session, a Dharakul necromancer-for-hire.

This should be a running joke.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

A quick one that happened to me last week. It's story of jump packs, Runepriests, and d100's.

So me and a bunch of mates meet uo every saturday usually to play whatever and the previous week beforehand we had started a Deathwatch game because we all mutually agreed being a Space Marine is amazing. That week's one was notable for different reasons I may write up later. Anyway I was playing a Storm Warden Assault which I basically lucked out on and had 85 strength right from the get go with the downside of basically being poo at everything else, and history and ambition wise he basically did everything for glory and was valued honour above all else.

So this week we where sent down to some farming planet to deal with a heretic uprising and also a possible tyranid infestation, after securing our initial drop point we went off to the noble quarter to secure them and organize an evacuation for them, so far so normal. As we where doing so we where told that a mod of farmers turned heretics had broken through the defences and where heading our way, so we stepped out to face them head on. First thing I did was roll to seek out a worthy foe amidst the mass, I succeeded and the GM pointed one of the leaders of the mod who was kitted out with plundered miltary gear. I challenged him to single honourable combat (which the other players have pointed out how is it fair and honourable when I'm a Space Marine) and he accepted charging towards me swinging a Chainsword with reckless abandon. I decided charge back and meet him head on, with the added bost of a jump pack assiting me (they are right I don't think I'm that fair and honorable). Here's what unfolded.

GM: Okay then roll agility for your jump pack.
Me: Right *rolls dice*... that sure is a 99, I'm going to fate that *rolls dice again*... and that's another 99.
GM: Well then *rolls direction dice and 2d20*... your jump pack malfunctions in a spectacular manner hurling you at great speed through the air and into the side of the noble's mansion, you can roll to attempt to grab the side of the mansion.
Me: Sure thing *rolls dice*... 97.
GM: Yeah you just kind of smash into the wall hard and then plummet, you manage to crush one of the guards aiding you as you slam down.
*We both calculate damage*
Me: Right I've got one hit point left and it's your go isn't it?
GM: Oh yeah, the leader charges and... *rolls dice* 97? Well he did charge at you, but as she swings his chainsword down manages to lodge it into the wall, he's trying to pull it off, you both look like knobs. Anyway Runepriest you're up next.
RP: I'm just going to unleash lightning on the mob *rolls dice*... oh gently caress me 99.
*GM flicks over to the warp power critical failure table, asks the RP to roll, he gets 91 which means he moves onto the warp power critical CRITICAL failure table, roll again*
GM:... Okay then, so your power is turned back onto yourself, roll your damage and everyone within six feet of you including yourself takes the damage straight, no reductions.
RP: Well I'm now on minus five hitpoints.
Me: And I crashed at his feet before.
GM: Oh, your dead I take it?
Me: Yep.

The GM was cool and let me live, he's a cool dude in general and we're only playing for fun :)

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

Abi gezunt dos leben ken men zikh ale mol nemen.
Everything else afterwards though was just the fevered imaginings of a dying brain. You actually died.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
Alright, so I have a small group of people for gaming with. They're friends, and friends of friends.
We're all early twenties, I'm the oldest at 23, with the youngest having just turned 20 a few months ago.
They're all pretty cool guys, except for one person. By & large he's easy enough to keep in check, but he has his fair share of stupid bullshit that's almost worth keeping him around just for shock value/laughs afterward when telling these stories.

To protect the innocent/loving dumb, let's refer to this player as "Nathan".

Nathan is the childhood friend of my pals James & Lance - very cool guys in their own regards, always have some new album they picked up to share, or some topic of discussion for the night.
James & Lance are both black.
Meanwhile, Nathan is a lanky, 6 foot white guy. He loving loves all things "BLACK METAL". He's also socially inept, dumb as a bag of loving doorknobs, doesn't KNOW he's dumb as a bag of doorknobs, and a brony.
He also proudly declares himself a "channer".
and a Staunch Christian Conservative.

His rap sheet goes on for a while like this. Suffice to say he's loving bizarre.

He's also stuck in that "14 year old on Deviantart" mindset, where everything he does has to be different enough to stand out because "hurr durr I'm the special snowflake".
He's tried holding conversations with my 40 year old mother about Death Metal.

As such, everything he does in-game is loving cartoonishly dumb/hilarious.

Our very first game we played as a group was D&D, 2 years ago. We were all very new to Tabletop gaming; my brother having picked up tales of wonder from my dad playing D&D back in the day & buying himself some poo poo to start up, & I was getting balls-deep in player's tales of Shadowrun.

The group at start was my brother Wilhelm as DM; & the players were myself, my wife at the time, & our friends Lance, James, Mike, & of course Nathan.
Everyone was pretty standard in their descriptions of their characters "I'm a human Fighter, I'm an Elf Mage" etc.
Nathan's description was almost a paragraph long of bullshit, describing how "Unholy" & "terrifying" his character was.
After sifting through it, his description was "pale skinny dude with long hair".

By sheer poor judgement, he was on the same Alignment as me (I was Lawful Evil, him Chaotic).

While we were busting other players out of jail, Nathan said we should instead keep them as our slaves.
He couldn't grasp why keeping the player characters of two black men, & two hispanics could be seen as "poor taste".

At one point in game, Nathan hosed up a roll while the DM aced his, & got laid out in a surprise attack.
In his defense, it was pretty bullshit what happened (DM decided out of the blue a character could ignore any armor Nathan was wearing & hit for more damage than Nathan had health for no reason other than "I'm the DM & I can")
Nathan whined like a child until he got the attack redacted, and then when he WON the ensuing encounter with said character, took a bite out of his neck after combat was over, just to be an edgy piece of poo poo.

My personal favorite tale of his bullshit was the introductory Session of Shadowrun, with me as GM; & Nathan, Wilhelm, James, & Mike as the Runners.
The characters are as follows: Wilhelm was a human Detective looking for details on the man who killed his best friend, James was an Elf Infiltrator trained in archery, Mike was another detective looking for information on his recent Astral Awakening.

Nathan was a Giant, which was a subset of Troll. But he wasn't a Troll, he was just a super-special human.
He was also HEAVILY augmented, which put his Essence dangerously low. During CharGen we all warned him of that. Only a year later did he finally learn the system more & see why that's a poor decision.

While on their inaugural run, the crew had a quiet moment while stuck in traffic in a van, & decided to get to know each other. They each traded tales of "I've been running for X time, I do it for money/info/etc"

When Nathan's turn came around he told his tale. The entire van wished he hadn't.

Nathan started his Augmented Runner life as a bodyguard. For Nathan's idiot brain, that meant "I stand near a guy who pays me while I eviscerate those who look at him funny".
Eventually his work had him defending a 16 year old woman. Something dramatic happens (we're never told what) and they found themselves on the run from armed men.
Armed men that Nathan's character has already been established to be skilled enough in combat to have fought & won.
Anyway, they run for a long time before being stuck between armed men & a body of water. Nathan jumps in, carrying the woman with him, who swears she can't swim.
As they get to the other side, this 8 foot wall of steel realizes he's dragging a dead woman. Much sadness & wailing to the heavens, etc.

Are you ready for the dumb poo poo? Here it comes.

He then retreats to his home base, an abandoned Insane Asylum up in the frigid mountains of Greenland or something, dead girl in tow.
Through some combination of science & magic, he puts her lifeless corpse in stasis in the basement, shadowrunning until someone can find a cure.
For being dead.
From drowning.

Thankfully he's very SLOWLY becoming a less lovely person to be around, but he still slips into his moments of bullshit. Just two weeks ago during a Star Wars campaign his Sith character considered killing his way out of a Town because he thought it might be a Matriarchal Society.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

HebrewMagic posted:

Nathan was a Giant, which was a subset of Troll. But he wasn't a Troll, he was just a super-special human.
He was also HEAVILY augmented, which put his Essence dangerously low. During CharGen we all warned him of that. Only a year later did he finally learn the system more & see why that's a poor decision.

While on their inaugural run, the crew had a quiet moment while stuck in traffic in a van, & decided to get to know each other. They each traded tales of "I've been running for X time, I do it for money/info/etc"

When Nathan's turn came around he told his tale. The entire van wished he hadn't.

Nathan started his Augmented Runner life as a bodyguard. For Nathan's idiot brain, that meant "I stand near a guy who pays me while I eviscerate those who look at him funny".
Eventually his work had him defending a 16 year old woman. Something dramatic happens (we're never told what) and they found themselves on the run from armed men.
Armed men that Nathan's character has already been established to be skilled enough in combat to have fought & won.
Anyway, they run for a long time before being stuck between armed men & a body of water. Nathan jumps in, carrying the woman with him, who swears she can't swim.
As they get to the other side, this 8 foot wall of steel realizes he's dragging a dead woman. Much sadness & wailing to the heavens, etc.

Are you ready for the dumb poo poo? Here it comes.

He then retreats to his home base, an abandoned Insane Asylum up in the frigid mountains of Greenland or something, dead girl in tow.
Through some combination of science & magic, he puts her lifeless corpse in stasis in the basement, shadowrunning until someone can find a cure.
For being dead.
From drowning.
You know, if you think of him as a Giant (Troll), rather than a super-super-human, this might make some dumb sense to the character in question.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Lorak posted:

You know, if you think of him as a Giant (Troll), rather than a super-super-human, this might make some dumb sense to the character in question.

What we did was just roll with him (& his character) being in denial: "Oh, sure, whatever you say. You AREN'T a Troll. *winks & nudges other player*"

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

HebrewMagic posted:

What we did was just roll with him (& his character) being in denial: "Oh, sure, whatever you say. You AREN'T a Troll. *winks & nudges other player*"

Did he realize what he was saying when he said he's looking for a cure for drowning? Cause it could be a funny yet tragic character hook that he's going through all this effort and giving up a large part of his humanity through augmentations, all for the impossible goal of curing drowning.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Dude really loved his Batman cartoons, didn't he?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Captain McStabbin posted:

Did he realize what he was saying when he said he's looking for a cure for drowning? Cause it could be a funny yet tragic character hook that he's going through all this effort and giving up a large part of his humanity through augmentations, all for the impossible goal of curing drowning.

That's what I was thinking. If this was a smarter person playing a kind of dumb, naive, gullible person that doesn't quite understand how the world works, it could be a truly magical experience.

Instead it's just kind of sad :(

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Bieeardo posted:

Dude really loved his Batman cartoons, didn't he?

I See you caught the similarities to Mr. Freeze as well.

I would make less of a fuss about his origin story if it was any of the above thoughts, or even an homage/riff on Freeze; I've had quite a few characters "based" on people (I had some early players make runners with concepts like "Sgt. Hatred from Venture Bros. Minus the child molestation"' or "Gage from Payday 2 minus the nonworking legs") from fiction. What kills me every time I re-tell this story is the fact he thinks every aching detail is the most original thing.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Honestly, I'd hesitate to give him poo poo about trying to bring someone back from the dead in a world with dragons and spirits and human intelligences recorded onto digital media.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
My dwarven berserker set up a ladder on an altar of Lolth, grappled the priestess we were fighting, and suplexed her off the top rung.

That's my story for today.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Volmarias posted:

That's what I was thinking. If this was a smarter person playing a kind of dumb, naive, gullible person that doesn't quite understand how the world works, it could be a truly magical experience.

Instead it's just kind of sad :(

We had a serious d20 game about being post-Armageddon soldiers living in a base on the edge of the blasted lands of Hell-On-Earth once, and one of the regular group members (who I don't like for a variety of reasons too numerous for this post, dating back to middle school) decided to make a mentally disabled man with retard strength. He insisted on playing the character for comedy, like a cartoon depiction. It massively detracted from the combined experience because the rest of us kept trying to play it like a serious Cthulhu-like horror campaign and he kept doing "silly retard stuff" and talking in his best caveman voice.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

PantsOptional posted:

Honestly, I'd hesitate to give him poo poo about trying to bring someone back from the dead in a world with dragons and spirits and human intelligences recorded onto digital media.

That's the part I don't actually mind. It may be somewhere between Quixotic and Faustian, depending on the era of Shadowrun you're set in, but bringing someone back from the dead in some (Horrible) form is plausible. The rest is a thunderclap and dirigible short of a Nineties-gothic antiheroic origin story. Great if you're playing Champions, a little tonally jarring for Shadowrun.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

chitoryu12 posted:

We had a serious d20 game about being post-Armageddon soldiers living in a base on the edge of the blasted lands of Hell-On-Earth once, and one of the regular group members (who I don't like for a variety of reasons too numerous for this post, dating back to middle school) decided to make a mentally disabled man with retard strength. He insisted on playing the character for comedy, like a cartoon depiction. It massively detracted from the combined experience because the rest of us kept trying to play it like a serious Cthulhu-like horror campaign and he kept doing "silly retard stuff" and talking in his best caveman voice.

Stories like this always baffle me. Do people's GMs not sit them down before a campaign and say "so I want this campaign to be this and this kind of story with this and this kind of tone"?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Guildencrantz posted:

Stories like this always baffle me. Do people's GMs not sit them down before a campaign and say "so I want this campaign to be this and this kind of story with this and this kind of tone"?

Yes, but then someone thinks they have an absolutely HI-LAIR-EEOUS idea, and you ABSOLUTELY have to play, because it's just so PERFECT when everyone else is so serious!

Then when you ask them to change they tell you that they're just roleplaying and you're too serious of a dm and everyone else is enjoying it. Then everyone else is awkwardly quiet because you're a bunch of loving nerds, and no-one really wants to handle conflict. Then she starts crying and you're wondering why the gently caress you play these dumb games.

You then ponder going out to the garage, getting a gun, pressing your temple, and hear the loud banging of sweet release from this hellish abomination.

Then the fight is over, and you say, "So that's d20+dex to suplex the gnome."

Jesus Weeps.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Turtlicious posted:

Yes, but then someone thinks they have an absolutely HI-LAIR-EEOUS idea, and you ABSOLUTELY have to play, because it's just so PERFECT when everyone else is so serious!

Then when you ask them to change they tell you that they're just roleplaying and you're too serious of a dm and everyone else is enjoying it. Then everyone else is awkwardly quiet because you're a bunch of loving nerds, and no-one really wants to handle conflict. Then she starts crying and you're wondering why the gently caress you play these dumb games.

You then ponder going out to the garage, getting a gun, pressing your temple, and hear the loud banging of sweet release from this hellish abomination.

Then the fight is over, and you say, "So that's d20+dex to suplex the gnome."

Jesus Weeps.

Basically. He's a longtime member of the group and the game was done after we had been limping along for several years with members moving away or becoming too busy to meet. Virtually every game in the past has been humorous in the traditional "nobody can play D&D seriously" form, so actually trying to play a serious post-apocalyptic horror game with unknowable demons that slaughtered entire barracks' worth of soldiers before disappearing them to Hell was a bit of a change. I had tried to push forward a serious GURPS game in the past, but the de facto group leader quashed the idea to try and get everyone to play his own Pathfinder world that he aspired to turn into a real sourcebook.

The game didn't even go past that first session despite having a solid setup and ending on a cliffhanger, which is a great disappointment. I want to talk to the guy and see if I can take his campaign concept and play it with some other guys to see how everything proceeds.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

We always try and treat every session as deadly serious no matter what the subject matter is, because it's way funnier that way.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Most of my old D&D group was neutral on the angsty-wacky scale, although we had one outlier on each end, which made for great fun when the hyperactive, eats-anything-vaguely-classifiable-as-food Shifter Totemist decided to buddy cop with the brooding, literally-raised-by-hyenas Ranger. Mostly they joked about eating the Ranger's animal companion.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
The Filthiest Luckers of Tabletop Simulator

Just now, Biscuit, Brainamp, Manic Misanthrope, and a few other goons finished playing our first game of Room 25. This wouldn't be a cat-piss story if it weren't for how short this game was.

So, for those who don't know, Room 25 is basically Cube: The Boardgame, and comes in several flavours. The particular flavour we were playing was co-op (no traitors). So, we set poo poo up, which was a wonderful display of teamwork (Table Simulator setting up can be a hassle, but it went super smooth), and began our first turn.

I was a pussy, and looked south. Empty room. Ellis was less of a pussy, and had a second action, but he looked west. Prison room, so no good. Then it came to Brainamp. Whose first action was "gently caress you, moving east, drat the consequences."

He found The Control Room. This, in and of itself, would have gone a long way to winning. But then Fatherwolf looked north, and found himself hitching a ride on the Moving room. Which swaps with another room.

So far, so normal. Then Biscuit also moved north... And found Room 25. The way out. On the first turn. That's right, Fatherwolf switched places with the exit, through sheer chance... On the first turn.

Here's how it looked when we realised we'd instantly won.

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Oct 22, 2014

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

JamieTheD posted:

The Filthiest Luckers of Tabletop Simulator

Just now, Biscuit, Brainamp, Manic Misanthrope, and a few other goons finished playing our first game of Room 25. This wouldn't be a cat-piss story if it weren't for how short this game was.

So, for those who don't know, Room 25 is basically Cube: The Boardgame, and comes in several flavours. The particular flavour we were playing was co-op (no traitors). So, we set poo poo up, which was a wonderful display of teamwork (Table Simulator setting up can be a hassle, but it went super smooth), and began our first turn.

I was a pussy, and looked south. Empty room. Ellis was less of a pussy, and had a second action, but he looked west. Prison room, so no good. Then it came to Brainamp. Whose first action was "gently caress you, moving east, drat the consequences."

He found The Control Room. This, in and of itself, would have gone a long way to winning. But then Fatherwolf looked north, and found himself hitching a ride on the Moving room. Which swaps with another room.

So far, so normal. Then Biscuit also moved north... And found Room 25. The way out. On the first turn. That's right, Fatherwolf switched places with the exit, through sheer chance... On the first turn.

Here's how it looked when we realised we'd instantly won.

That Tabletop Simulator looks awesome. I will have to get a copy one day when I finally get employed again. :sigh:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Samizdata posted:

That Tabletop Simulator looks awesome. I will have to get a copy one day when I finally get employed again. :sigh:
There's a lot of modules, a couple for good games, and a lot for really bad games.

It is worth noting that the handling has been described as all the pieces are made out of styrofoamn, and everyone's trying to move them with chopsticks (though I don't personally think it's that bad).

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Poison Mushroom posted:

There's a lot of modules, a couple for good games, and a lot for really bad games.

It is worth noting that the handling has been described as all the pieces are made out of styrofoamn, and everyone's trying to move them with chopsticks (though I don't personally think it's that bad).

I look forward to trying it some day.

On a (mostly) unrelated note, I found my Aces of Aces Rotary Edition books, if someone would want to play via PM or email or something.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Poison Mushroom posted:

Is that the one with the "Flip table in anger" button?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

VanSandman posted:

Is that the one with the "Flip table in anger" button?
Yep.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I can't be arsed to really explain the context, but I don't have to because it's absolutely magical even without it.

In my DW game last night, my muscle wizard took control of the Captain's submarine after breaking his arm punching away the appendage of a deep-sea metal Leviathan. Meanwhile, the Captain and the Fighter entered the Leviathan's mouth and went to its stomach, because the Metal Leviathan is propelled by metal music, so they decided their best bet was to defeat the band playing in its stomach to weaken or even kill it.

So my muscle wizard, battered and near death, performed naval maneouvres, ordered the crew around and fired at the leviathan with torpedoes while the fighter and captain had a duel with some headbanging bards. Eventually some solid hits with the torpedoes made the beast explode into scraps and plates of metal, which the fighter and captain surfed on to joust with the guitarist and drummer.

All of this happened with Alestorm music on the background.

When it was all over we blankly stared at each other and agreed that our campaign had officially gone off the rails. But we're going to keep going just to see what happens. :shepface:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Deltasquid posted:

I can't be arsed to really explain the context, but I don't have to because it's absolutely magical even without it.

In my DW game last night, my muscle wizard took control of the Captain's submarine after breaking his arm punching away the appendage of a deep-sea metal Leviathan. Meanwhile, the Captain and the Fighter entered the Leviathan's mouth and went to its stomach, because the Metal Leviathan is propelled by metal music, so they decided their best bet was to defeat the band playing in its stomach to weaken or even kill it.

So my muscle wizard, battered and near death, performed naval maneouvres, ordered the crew around and fired at the leviathan with torpedoes while the fighter and captain had a duel with some headbanging bards. Eventually some solid hits with the torpedoes made the beast explode into scraps and plates of metal, which the fighter and captain surfed on to joust with the guitarist and drummer.

All of this happened with Alestorm music on the background.

When it was all over we blankly stared at each other and agreed that our campaign had officially gone off the rails. But we're going to keep going just to see what happens. :shepface:

Dungeon World dot txt

Goddamn it I want to play more Dungeon World.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
The craziest thing is happening in my Night's Black Agents prep. The game hasn't even started yet. They're all burned ex-spies working underground, but we're using Mirror mode Drives, which are secret motivations between me and each player.

On their own, 4 of my 5 players have picked either the "I was burned so I could work under deep cover and hunt vampires" and the "I still work for my old agency." motive, out of the 15 or so in the book. Two of each. None of them know that any of the others did this, since it's all secret.

It's going to be so great when they figure it out.

"Wait, you're still working for the CIA? I'm still working for MI6!"

"I never left SVR!"

All of these agencies are, of course, probably staffed by vampires.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
I built an RP system for my game group, dubbed Nanosystem due to having very few mechanics and super simple rules. My players love the poo poo out of it. Mechanically it's kinda garbage but it is built to allow players to buy rolls very high fairly often (players are essentially nanite-infused supersoldiers). Since you can buy up rolls cheaply and often, game sessions often turn out like an action movie as people pull crazy stunts and get away with it. The setting is post-apoc on an essentially-dead earth, but otherwise kinda Shadowrun-ish. One of my favorite runs:

So the players find an old AI core while scavenging. It moans about how 'every human second seems to be an eon' with it's advanced hardware and how it's been abandoned for 200 years all alone, trapped as just a core, blah blah, and begs the players to kill it. I figured they were hungry for scrap and supercomputers are very good scrap so they would interrogate it, learn some things and then scrap it.

Instead, the computer scientist/diplomat PC bought up a whole lot of rolls to console the AI, and essentially put it through therapy instead. Well, now they have a happy AI with a new lease on life, but in the middle of a dangerous no-mans-land. After much effort, they dig it up and mount it to a trailer, hitching it to their van so they can bring it home. The core is very large and they can't cover it, so it's just out in the open, where rival scavengers can see it, and they quickly do.

Cue a Mad Max style car chase, with techicals and motorcycles shooting it out with the players. One player leaps from the van to a motorcycle, throwing the rider, and proceeds to drive the bike around slashing at the other pursuers with a sword.

Now, it's cheap to buy up rolls, but when you run out, things turn bad quickly. The van's driver has been shooting out the window with one hand and driving with the other, and eventually critically fails a drive check over rough terrain. The trailer unhitches, and the AI core rolls loose down the road. The PCs quickly decide to have someone climb out to the trailer hitch and throw a chain over it while they're moving at speed. However, the rival scavengers land some lucky hits (the driver is poo poo out of rolls now) and the van loses some tires and skids out.

The PC on the motorcycle, however, isn't paying attention. He gets the idea that he has to jump up on the AI core to catch the chain, and does so, ditching his bike. Then he realizes he's on a runaway trailer with no means of controlling it, nobody's there to throw him a chain, and he's taken some hits in the fighting so he's not healthy enough to just bail out.

And this is on a downhill slope. It's hard to convey over text, but rest assured the player was literally panicking that he would lose his character and/or the AI as they picked up speed. Anticlimactically, he ends up shredding a tire with his blade, rolling the whole thing, breaking all his limbs (1 HP from Death, 7 Critical Wounds) and lobotomizing the AI.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
That sounds pretty drat climactic.

Lallander
Sep 11, 2001

When a problem comes along,
you must whip it.

Evilreaver posted:

Mechanically it's kinda garbage...

If it allows you to have that much fun then it is obviously not garbage.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Seriously, sounds like some good storytelling potential there.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
:v: So how do these railguns work, anyway?
:eng101: Well, using the two rails on the sides of the barrel, [... :techno: ...] and fires a 'dummy round' backward to mitigate recoil. Otherwise it could kick you backwards pretty hard.

:v: So I did the math, and if we're shooting a 5mm iron round at Mach 8, if I instead strap one of these rails to each of my legs and disable the recoil comp, I could have jump boots!
:stonk: You, uh, probably shouldn't.
:v: I'M GONNA!

I forget the math exactly, :v: did the work and figured it would be something like a 2-story jump... if he did it with just one boot. As he took a test run...

:eng101: Wait, you took apart two railguns, right?
:v: Yea?
:eng101: And you said you turned both the recoil comps around for more jump, right?
:v: Yea...? Oh, wait, :stonk:

Lots of broken bones.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Would love to see the rules for Nanosystem, I'm actually trying to bring my group of friends into roleplay. When you say "buy rolls", do you mean the ability to roll a die or boosting your roll on it?

Also, would reccomend a "But For the Grace of God" rule for stuff like the AI lobotomy. DM can call a vote on a roll result at will, plurality wins. Basically lets you control when crits happen, but you don't control if it's a crit fail or a crit success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The best dramatic turn is extremely happy but totally dimwitted.