Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

football fuckerman posted:

Holy poo poo that's awful

I've never read a word of Gregg Easterbrook, I always figured he was some harmless idiot like uh all the rest of them. But that paragraph and the one ought ten posted are both loving horrible

Yes, but have you ocnsidered black men shouldn't play football because once upon a time they worked for white men and :commissar:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Their secondary is weak, but at this point in the season most teams have a cross to bear. Julius Caesar bore across the Rubicon in 49 BC, 70 years before Jesus bore a cross on Calvary. Jesus rose from the dead after three days, but this team's next game is seven days away

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!
I used to really appreciate TMQ. His schtick has been wearing a little thin for a few years now, but back in the days of Page 2, he and Simmons really were something interesting. I'm not sure if that's a more stark indictment of the state of football commentary at the time or me from 10+ years ago.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
There was a point where he seemed vaugely smart because he used big words and occasionally included numbers, but it didn't take very long to realize that his writing is a tortured, rambling mess, his numbers stuff is usually wrong, and he wrote the exact same gigantic column every single week. Eventually I think everyone collectively just stopped paying attention to him until he wrote the stupid poo poo that got him fired. I am genuinely surprised he's still writing almost every time someone brings him up.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 21, 2014

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Seven of 17 weeks played might not sound like much, but I'm a stupid piece of poo poo who can't be bothered to attribute the correct meaning to historical quotes. Julius Caesar said "all in, bitch" when he ordered his bronies across the Thames in the year of our lord 2014. The Roman civil war still had to take place, but Harbaugh felt he knew what would happen.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

MourningView posted:

There was a point where he seemed vaugely smart because he used big words and occasionally included numbers, but it didn't take very long to realize that his writing is a tortured, rambling mess, his numbers stuff is usually wrong, and he wrote the exact same gigantic column every single week.

He also challenged a lot of conventional thinking around football strategy (like punting readily) that made him stand out but as time went on, better voices emerged while his talking points remained stagnant so now he just sounds like your racist grandpa who hates blitzing and oogles cheerleaders.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Jethro posted:

I used to really appreciate TMQ. His schtick has been wearing a little thin for a few years now, but back in the days of Page 2, he and Simmons really were something interesting. I'm not sure if that's a more stark indictment of the state of football commentary at the time or me from 10+ years ago.

He kinda, sorta was a precursor to what Bill Barnwell does in some of his columns, except without all the methodology and analysis. Barnwell will cite specific probabilities to critique poor coaching choices. Easterbrook would call some coach a lunkhead for punting on 4th down at the 45, and then turn around and rail against someone going for it in the same scenario the next week because it didn't work. All of Easterbrook's criticisms were outcome oriented, which is dumb.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
I wonder how many notebooks he has with "game over" written in it. Like there is this room in his house that's just full of notebooks, probably the kind with that weird cover that didn't know if it was lovely camouflage or some sort of acid wash? Anyway, floor to ceiling and in all of them are detailed play-by-plays of every game with one precise moment in which the words "GAME OVER" are written around it.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
I got a haiku published in one of his columns back when I was in college.

I'm now also remembering he hates blitzing?

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

You're giving him way too much credit. He just has one notebook, cloth bound, college ruled, with "Game Over" neatly written over and over and nothing else.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Badfinger posted:

I got a haiku published in one of his columns back when I was in college.

I'm now also remembering he hates blitzing?

STOP ME BEFORE I BLITZ AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Team] Blitzed and [bad result] happened. Never blitz!

Somehow he turns that into like 2000 words every week.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Doubly Sweet 'N' Doubly Sour Sequence: Miami leading 24-20, Green Bay was down to fourth-and-10 with 1:07 remaining. TMQ noted two weeks ago, "If there's one thing that would put a smile on the face of Aaron Rodgers, it's a predictable blitz." All Miami needs is an incompletion -- surely the Dolphins won't big-blitz! They do, Green Bay converts. Green Bay would get two more first downs in the next six snaps, both against blitzes. Sweet for the visitors, sour for the home team.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

DangerKat posted:

Doubly Sweet 'N' Doubly Sour Sequence: Miami leading 24-20, Green Bay was down to fourth-and-10 with 1:07 remaining. TMQ noted two weeks ago, "If there's one thing that would put a smile on the face of Aaron Rodgers, it's a predictable blitz." All Miami needs is an incompletion -- surely the Dolphins won't big-blitz! They do, Green Bay converts. Green Bay would get two more first downs in the next six snaps, both against blitzes. Sweet for the visitors, sour for the home team.

I know you made that up because Gregg would have written Game Over.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

football fuckerman posted:

Holy poo poo that's awful

I've never read a word of Gregg Easterbrook, I always figured he was some harmless idiot like uh all the rest of them. But that paragraph and the one ought ten posted are both loving horrible

I read Easterbrook when I was in high school and thought he was good.

I did a lot of other dumb things in high school but that's pretty high up on the list.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

DangerKat posted:

Sweet 'N' Sour is a general term for a cooking sauce and/or cuisine generally thought to have begun in China.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

pangstrom posted:

Sweet 'N' Sour is a general term for a cooking sauce and/or cuisine generally thought to have begun in China.

lol

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

axeil posted:

I read Easterbrook when I was in high school and thought he was good.

I did a lot of other dumb things in high school but that's pretty high up on the list.

Better or worse than your high school dalliance with Rand/Nietzche?

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

When Caesar crossed the rubicon he only had one legion at his disposal while the rest of his army got stuck far away and wouldn't have been able to reinforce him.He totally gambled his entire future in a gut call that Pompey would not be able to defeat him with twice the amount of troops and the optimate position in Rome collapsed.That poo poo doesn't make any sense at all and doesn't even apply to the situation since the week 7 can be hardly considered a point of no return.

Chichevache posted:

I am so happy than Randlords don't exist in measurable quantities where I live.

hump day bitches! fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Oct 21, 2014

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Note that he pluralized "die" as "dies" rather than "dice" so he probably thinks it means die as in mold, which kind of explains why he thinks that Caesar quote means the opposite of what it actually means? But it still makes no loving sense because you don't put those words together that way when you're talking about die-casting something.

That poo poo is so bad it wraps back around into being art.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Lamadrid posted:

I am so happy than Randlords don't exist in measurable quantities where I live.

Thus Spake Lamadrid it was, then.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Chichevache posted:

My high school dalliance was with Marx :colbert:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Chilichimp posted:

Seven of 17 weeks played might not sound like much, but I'm a stupid piece of poo poo who can't be bothered to attribute the correct meaning to historical quotes. Julius Caesar said "all in, bitch" when he ordered his bronies across the Thames in the year of our lord 2014. The Roman civil war still had to take place, but Harbaugh felt he knew what would happen.

Please write more of the history of this world, thank you.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Yeah that was a top 5 chilichimp post and god knows there's a lotta competition

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
If your reading Nietzche in high school and understanding it, more power to you. Thus Spoke Zarathustra is probably the hardest book in the English language.

Heteroy
Mar 13, 2004

:fork::fork::fork:
Yam Slacker

Lamadrid posted:

That poo poo doesn't make any sense at all and doesn't even apply to the situation since the week 7 can be hardly considered a point of no return.

That actually brings up a general thing that sports journalists do that seems to get worse every year. It seems like I hear about a MUST WIN game earlier and earlier each season. I'd be curious to find who's said it the earliest this year. My favorite though was about three or four years ago, when it was repeated on ESPN about an NFC East team that was already mathematically eliminated from the playoffs.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

DangerKat posted:

If there's ever a thing you should do to Aaron Rodgers, it's play a zone and give him plenty of time to read and extend a play. That's the thing that messes up Aaron Rodgers.

Thanks Ggregg!

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Note that he pluralized "die" as "dies" rather than "dice" so he probably thinks it means die as in mold, which kind of explains why he thinks that Caesar quote means the opposite of what it actually means? But it still makes no loving sense because you don't put those words together that way when you're talking about die-casting something.

That poo poo is so bad it wraps back around into being art.

I hadn't even considered that angle, which is by far the most likely and most hilarious.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Heteroy posted:

That actually brings up a general thing that sports journalists do that seems to get worse every year. It seems like I hear about a MUST WIN game earlier and earlier each season. I'd be curious to find who's said it the earliest this year. My favorite though was about three or four years ago, when it was repeated on ESPN about an NFC East team that was already mathematically eliminated from the playoffs.

It starts happening as early as week 2 if an expected contender loses in week 1. You'll start hearing about how only X% of teams have made the playoffs after starting 0-2 and narratives on "this isn't how the team envisioned the season starting", etc.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Badfinger posted:

If there's ever a thing you should do to Aaron Rodgers, it's play a zone and give him plenty of time to read and extend a play. That's the thing that messes up Aaron Rodgers.

Thanks Ggregg!

You joke, but Rodgers is like, incredibly unbelievably famously good against blitzing defenses. I'm having trouble finding current numbers on it, but in 2011 he had a 131.4 passer rating against the blitz. He's still known for it, Mike Zimmer was talking about it before the Packers-Viking games.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2216983-can-aaron-rodgers-and-the-packers-unlock-the-mike-zimmer-defense-vs-vikings

2012, 119.9 passer rating against the blitz. 2014 prior to the Vikings game, 130.5 against the blitz.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Heteroy posted:

This generally has only happened in football due to the dearth of games, but I heard that MUST WIN crap thrown around with the New York Rangers due to them not starting the season very well, which is silly.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Brannock posted:

You joke, but Rodgers is like, incredibly unbelievably famously good against blitzing defenses. I'm having trouble finding current numbers on it, but in 2011 he had a 131.4 passer rating against the blitz. He's still known for it, Mike Zimmer was talking about it before the Packers-Viking games.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2216983-can-aaron-rodgers-and-the-packers-unlock-the-mike-zimmer-defense-vs-vikings

2012, 119.9 passer rating against the blitz. 2014 prior to the Vikings game, 130.5 against the blitz.

Aaron Rodgers overall:

2011 122.5
2012 108.0
2014 117.3
Career 105.8

Aaron Rodgers is an outstanding quarterback who performs at the same level whether you blitz or not.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RodgAa00/splits/#advanced

You can point at the numbers I posted and the numbers you posted and say "the first ones are higher tho!", but they are not so much higher in a statistically significant sample to be more than margin of error of normal Aaron Rodgers owning everyone always.

Badfinger fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 22, 2014

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Hey guys anonymous sources tell Mike Freeman that some Seahawks don't think Russell Wilson is black enough.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2238790-mike-freemans-10-point-stance-another-wr-learns-not-to-disrespect-the-qb

quote:

There is also an element of race that needs to be discussed. My feeling on this—and it's backed up by several interviews with Seahawks players—is that some of the black players think Wilson isn't black enough.

This, again, was similar to the situation with McNabb. And this, again, will be denied by Seattle people. But there is an element of this.

This is an issue that extends outside of football, into African-American society—though it's gotten better recently. Well-spoken blacks are seen by some other blacks as not completely black. Some of this is at play.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
It's really gross to attribute that kind of poo poo to anonymous sources. And the sources aren't even the players who supposedly feel that way, either

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I think of myself as a well spoken black.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I'm reminded every single day I'm not black enough thanks mom

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
is Russell Wilson a cornball brother?
/

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
I didn't know he was black to begin with :blush:

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
my mom is on her 3rd year of thinking he is south Indian

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Pron on VHS posted:

my mom is on her 3rd year of thinking he is south Indian

I remember when I was a kid I thought Charles Barkley was Puerto Rican

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Mike Freeman's right.

But seriously there's little worse in sports reporting than the anonymous source locker room unrest story, and this one is particularly stupid.

• Locked thread