Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
It's almost refreshing to see an outpouring of hatred for a woman because of the content of her character rather than her gender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

TetsuoTW posted:

send help can't stop laughing

We are going to have to act, if we want to live in a different world.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

My favorite thing about that video is that the entire thing is pretty much six minutes of the political/gender equivalent of "our black friends".

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I like that their largely transphobic movement's token tran is the craziest one possible, personally

al-azad
May 28, 2009

TetsuoTW posted:

My favorite thing about that video is that the entire thing is pretty much six minutes of the political/gender equivalent of "our black friends".

Look! We have two women who agree with us! We're making a valid argument guys!

Also LOL at their Patreon page saying they have no agenda. Literally everything anybody creates has an agenda. If your goal is to shoot down Anita that's your agenda, how transparent can you be?

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

That documentary is going to be enlightening in all the ways they aren't intending. I can't wait.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

al-azad posted:

Look! We have two women who agree with us! We're making a valid argument guys!

Also LOL at their Patreon page saying they have no agenda. Literally everything anybody creates has an agenda. If your goal is to shoot down Anita that's your agenda, how transparent can you be?

Agendas, like politics, are thing only the bad people have.

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

Dr. Stab posted:

Agendas, like politics, are thing only the bad people have.

Also, bias.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah they don't have an agenda, they're just out to provide a balanced and in-depth look at exactly why feminists are the literal devil who are all going to take our video games away.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
http://www.clickhole.com/article/summary-gamergate-movement-we-will-immediately-cha-1241

quote:

Even if you’re only a casual internet user, chances are that by now you’ve probably heard something about the movement known as Gamergate. If you’re unfamiliar with what Gamergate is, we’ve taken the liberty of writing up a brief summary of the movement and its goals, which we will immediately change if anything in it offends anyone who associates with Gamergate.

What is Gamergate?

Gamergate is a movement of video game fans who are fighting to achieve something involving ethics in gaming journalism using reasonable, measured debate. Note, though, that should a single word of that description make members of the Gamergate movement angry or uncomfortable, we are perfectly willing to rewrite it. Please just let us know!

What do members of Gamergate want?

One need only spend three or four hours perusing Gamergate message boards to know that the main thing members of the movement want is ethics in gaming journalism—there aren’t enough ethics, and so, one way or another, there will have to be more ethics. They might want other things too, but we had a hard time figuring out what they were. Again, if you’re a member of Gamergate who feels like we didn’t get this part exactly right, please just tell us what you want added or removed, and you can consider it done. We don’t want any trouble.

What’s “wrong” with Gamergate?

Coverage of Gamergate by certain media outlets ***that we do not necessarily agree with*** has focused on a long series of female game designers and critics who have been forced to flee their homes after individuals identifying with the Gamergate movement bombarded them with a significant amount of online harassment, followed by explicit threats to rape and murder them. This has led many to decry Gamergate as somehow misogynistic or violent, and is an aspect of this whole issue we’d readily omit here if members of the movement told us to.

Because it’s only one side of the story! The rape threats and hate speech are coming from only one, extremely vocal, extremely visible faction within Gamergate. These radical individuals distract from the main message of Gamergate. It is important to remember that the members of Gamergate, only some of whom threaten to rape and murder women, are simply fighting for ethics in gaming journalism.

How is Gamergate answering its critics?

In order to clarify their message, members of Gamergate have seen to it that any individual who unfairly singles out the violent and bigoted aspects of the movement for criticism immediately becomes the target of sustained online harassment. Needless to say, we don’t mean for that last sentence to sound like a criticism of Gamergate. We’d even go so far as to say that anybody critical of Gamergate probably had it coming, if that is better.

Listen: If you’re thinking about targeting the authors of this article, or mounting a campaign to get funding for this website pulled, please reconsider, and instead, just tell us how to make this thing look the way you want it to look.

Is Gamergate a vast, complex, and diverse community?

Yes! It is not composed, as the mainstream media would lead you to believe, solely of white male trolls. It also has female trolls. It has African-American trolls and Asian trolls, gay trolls and straight trolls. In fact, Gamergate is all about the inclusion of anyone—regardless of gender, race, or sexual orientation—whose views on video games and how we should think about them conform exactly to those of the movement at large.

———

Is that right? If you are a member of Gamergate, let us know if that is not right, or if any of that made you angry. We’ll change it right away. We want to accurately reflect your dedication to something involving ethics in journalism. We want to tell the world about what you are trying to build. Or destroy. We don’t know. It’s been a bit tricky to piece together what it is you’re trying to do and how you’re trying to do it.

We would hasten to add, before our Twitter feed is turned into a hellish garbage dump for the worst discussion ever conducted on the internet, that these women driven from their homes, these journalists targeted by hate campaigns, and these websites financially punished for their dissent are all unfortunate victims of a few fringe individuals within Gamergate. That these are the movement’s only tangible achievements so far does not change the fact that this is, at its core, a concerned community dedicated to having a reasonable discussion about ethics in journalism.

And that’s the best part of the whole thing, right? That Gamergate, as a legitimate movement arguing in good faith, can accept criticism and dissent without resorting to vitriolic censorship or threats of violence.

Unless you guys aren’t into that. If not, then that’s totally fine. Just look this whole thing over and tell us if there’s anything we should change. Email all of your demands to Gamergate@ClickHole.com. We’ll get on it right away.

Like you, we value ethics in journalism, and will alter our content in whatever way you feel best supports those values.

Please don’t hurt us.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

This article is the best.

https://twitter.com/fart/status/524955945449689088

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

al-azad posted:

I think it's mostly because they're informed by batshit Conservative/Libertarian sources and figures who view themselves as blameless and holy, while everyone else trying to destroy The Way Things Ought to Be are biased, agenda-having culture destroyers. These are the same people who complain when editorials contain an argument they don't agree with, because Something's Wrong if their side isn't catered to at every possible opportunity. They literally have zero empathy because they can't possibly imagine someone having/arguing for a different perspective than their own.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Are there any relevant podcasts still talking about GamerGate?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

doctorfrog posted:

It's begun to slowly spread out to non-game/tech casts so yeah probably.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

doctorfrog posted:

It depends on your personal definition of relevant, I guess. Isometric podcast this week was a loving tough listen because Brianna Wu is one of the hosts of that podcast, and she talks about the last week of her life, starting with the rape/death threats she received, her family leaving their home, and the beginnings of the mass media blowup that is finally happening.

It was really intense and (of course) a pretty angry and frustrating run down to experience, but holy hell it was well articulated.

Actually, the first 2/3 of that episode is one of the most potent gaming podcasts I've listened to. It's three back to back segments that, when experienced in aggregate, hit me hard in three pretty different ways:

1) They open with one of the hosts (Maddy Meyers I think?) talking about how she went to a convention over the weekend, and it sounded like it was one of the first times she'd actually run into hardcore listeners of her podcast, who asked her to draw a picture of one of their injokes, and it was basically the happiest thing ever.

2) That goes IMMEDIATELY into the above mentioned GamerGate segment with Briana talking about moving out of her home.

3) Then the third segment is them breaking down Bayonetta 2 from the perspective of a collection of people who REALLY like that series (despite? while?) identifying as feminists. It's not a "feminist critique" of Bayonetta or anything like that -- it's a totally off the cuff classic podcast impressions style take on the game, but it goes down side-chutes of their past with the series, how they sit relative to other women critics and developers on the subject, and ends up also dropping into side talk about the history of women writers and developers in the games industry relative to when (and what) they started self identifying as feminists.

Anyway I know some people in this thread really don't like Isometric because not only does it feature people laughing at their own material, but it features a bunch of women doing it so it can be called the even worse "giggling," but it's a show I enjoy more each week, and this week was just kind of nuts.

Ramagamma posted:

Relevant and GamerGate don't belong in the same sentence.
hmm

ja2ke fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 22, 2014

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

doctorfrog posted:

Relevant and GamerGate don't belong in the same sentence.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

TetsuoTW posted:

send help can't stop laughing

No matter how many times I see him, I still can't get over lovely Kane.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

jellycat posted:

No matter how many times I see him, I still can't get over lovely Kane.

Slopgut Gillette is funny to me too and this is while fully admitting I own one sloppy gut.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.

ja2ke posted:

It depends on your personal definition of relevant, I guess. Isometric podcast this week was a loving tough listen because Brianna Wu is one of the hosts of that podcast

That episode is really important for people to hear, I think. A lot of Gamergate coverage is done through blogs, chatlogs, tweets, and John Nash redline conspiracy MSpaints, and it's easy for me to get inured to just how absurd the whole thing is. That might just be me, so I will speak for myself.

Hearing the heartbreak and resolve in her voice is simultaneously a bitter pill to swallow and a revelation. It's a tremendous benefit of the audio medium that the true human cost of this horseshit can shine through and confront the listener.

Having written that, I realize it's likely that there are people who get off on hearing Briana Wu cry. I'd prefer to hope that they are few in number and there are more people who gain a better emotional understanding of the consequences of this kind of harassment.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
http://duckfeed.tv/asp/59

I like how Abject Suffering consistently brings out the strangest topics in Gary and Kole.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Song For The Deaf posted:

That episode is really important for people to hear, I think. A lot of Gamergate coverage is done through blogs, chatlogs, tweets, and John Nash redline conspiracy MSpaints, and it's easy for me to get inured to just how absurd the whole thing is. That might just be me, so I will speak for myself.

Hearing the heartbreak and resolve in her voice is simultaneously a bitter pill to swallow and a revelation. It's a tremendous benefit of the audio medium that the true human cost of this horseshit can shine through and confront the listener.

Having written that, I realize it's likely that there are people who get off on hearing Briana Wu cry. I'd prefer to hope that they are few in number and there are more people who gain a better emotional understanding of the consequences of this kind of harassment.

Came here basically to say this. That episode is very hard, but necessary, to listen to at points because it's loving horrifying actually hearing what women who are targeted by GamerGate are going through. When Anita Sarkeesian was getting so much poo poo back when she started Tropes vs. Women (doesn't that seem like a lifetime ago now that all this poo poo is happening by the way) I naively thought it couldn't get any worse but here we are, it really puts into perspective what they've been going through. The people that have been behind all these threats and harassment need to be held to account.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
Has idle Thumbs done any new streaming yet? Those old streams of kerbal, frycry, ck2, etc were some of the best thumbs content imo and I'm itching for some new streams

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Song For The Deaf posted:

My asking that was wondering if this was still an issue on the rise or if it's mostly kickball at this point, people just keeping it in the air. It's a real issue. I do not discount that. I do feel like I've paid enough attention to the outrage, the ridiculousness, and the seriousness of it at this point, to where unless there is something new to be said about it, or some degree of reform or truce among the communities, I won't be paying any more attention to GamerGate.

I acknowledge it, I understand it, and have incorporated what I feel is the right mindset regarding its central issues, and will integrate them into my actions to be a slightly better moral person.

I'm very fortunate in a way that nearly everything about this issue was a complete alien surprise, since I've never had a problem with Sarkeesian and more or less appreciated what she was trying to do, don't care about who sleeps with who, and the friends I play with have no explicit women issues that I'm aware of. I don't consider games journalism to be any more or less important than book or movie reviews--they are not as crucial as other branches of reporting, which deserve much more attention. I live in a privileged bubble that has been formed in part by my own good choices in association, in-built privilege as a white male, and what I once thought was a hardcore interest in games, but now seems very moderate by the scale I'm seeing.

I may be a terrible person for saying this, but I'll listen to this podcast, then, I'm done with GamerGate. Not that GamerGate is done, or solved, just I'm done with it. After every other headline I read throughout the day, my own personal bullshit, I just don't have enough room for GamerGate. A lot of folks are at the center of that storm, but I'm not.

I know, who cares, I sound like a jackass, etc. And I don't want to stop progressive conversation about it. I don't want people to stop talking about it, but is there anything new to be said about it? Or is it just fresh outrages, or "those guys are dumb lol" at this point?

edit: bald turtleneck guy in bad video is certainly worth mocking. It's one thing to pick hip clothes from a checklist, but you have to know how to wear them as well.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 22, 2014

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ImPureAwesome posted:

Has idle Thumbs done any new streaming yet? Those old streams of kerbal, frycry, ck2, etc were some of the best thumbs content imo and I'm itching for some new streams

They're really busy making a video game now. Something called Firewatch. I don't know what it is.

edit: I'm going to assume Jake and co were in the audience but if not I really hope they've seen the panel bits about Firewatch in that Best Of video.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 22, 2014

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Captain Invictus posted:

They're really busy making a video game now. Something called Firewatch. I don't know what it is.

edit: I'm going to assume Jake and co were in the audience but if not I really hope they've seen the panel bits about Firewatch in that Best Of video.

I don't understand. Fire..watch?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

ja2ke posted:

It depends on your personal definition of relevant, I guess. Isometric podcast this week was a loving tough listen because Brianna Wu is one of the hosts of that podcast, and she talks about the last week of her life, starting with the rape/death threats she received, her family leaving their home, and the beginnings of the mass media blowup that is finally happening.
Holy poo poo, I'm only 20 minutes in and it is literally painful to listen to. It really is important that this keeps happening until it gets into the mainstream media - people say "oh everybody knows what cyberbullying is" but they really don't - not everybody even understands what regular old schoolyard bullying is like, and on the internet there is no "punch that bully in the face and he'll leave you alone," option to even try.

I watched a documentary on bullying the other day and seeing a funny-looking kid get onto the schoolbus in the morning and then have the kid he sits next to literally threaten tell him he's going to "bring a knife tomorrow and loving cut your loving face off you little bitch," and all the kid can do is half-heartedly try to laugh it off gave me the exact same feeling as Brianna's initial listing of a handful of the threats to herself and her family. http://www.veoh.com/watch/v45037010aXNkPw8X?h1=The+Bully+Project+Full+Movie (the school administration are amazingly useless - my favorite bit was when she forces a kid being bullied to shake hands with the bully and apologize - for being antagonized until he lost his temper. The kid's parting line "He was my friend - until he started bullying me" was heartbreaking.

Chris Kluwe wrote a pretty cutting blog piece the other day on gamergate, and while it's remarkably fun to read due to his amazingly impressive ability to make up insults, it was really cool to see someone with that kind of fanbase that's not directly-connected to either the online or gaming culture pulse, make such a public statement. https://medium.com/the-cauldron/why-gamergaters-piss-me-the-f-off-a7e4c7f6d8a6

doctorfrog posted:

edit: bald turtleneck guy in bad video is certainly worth mocking. It's one thing to pick hip clothes from a checklist, but you have to know how to wear them as well.
That guy's ensemble is amazing. He's wearing a pinstripe sport coat! I mean if he was wearing a solid color one or a leather jacket it would be kinda "euro" (although still bad) but that jacket is just entirely wrong - like letting an autistic person pick your clothing before you go up on stage.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 22, 2014

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

In his videos, he sips hard liquor on the rocks and smokes cigarettes like some kind of Frank Miller parody.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

coyo7e posted:

Chris Kluwe wrote a pretty cutting blog piece the other day on gamergate, and while it's remarkably fun to read due to his amazingly impressive ability to make up insults, it was really cool to see someone with that kind of fanbase that's not directly-connected to either the online or gaming culture pulse, make such a public statement. https://medium.com/the-cauldron/why-gamergaters-piss-me-the-f-off-a7e4c7f6d8a6

This is sort of what I'm talking about. It's a fine piece, and this is SomethingAwful.com, and I made fun of a dope's wardrobe. But is there anything new to say here other than, "Those guys are jerks?"

I have a daughter. I worry about how her life's going to be. A lot. But I'm not that worried about this, because, quite frankly, the bums already lost. The battle rages on, goes back and forth, vollies are hurled, but the war is over. I work with middle school kids part time, and though my sample size is quite small, they're already ahead of the 4channers and GamerGaters, as well as the super nice well-adjusted guys and gals on the other side. Even as they're being indoctrinated by the stupidity of the world they're inheriting, they're already questioning sexism and (better yet) taking a less sexist attitude completely for granted, as integral to their personalities as being against behind-the-times-bullshit like Jim Crow was when I was a kid. Again, I'm willing to accept that I'm probably in a decent corner of the planet and seeing things skewed, but even still, dang it, I'm pretty optimistic.

The bums lost, and it's why they're so mad. If you're not on the front lines, the war is a little puzzling because it's so clearly just a hot spot in the midst of a sea change: it's over.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'm a week behind on Thumbs episodes, but holy poo poo there are 10000 holes in Desert Golf? I've got a lot of work to do.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

doctorfrog posted:

The bums lost, and it's why they're so mad. If you're not on the front lines, the war is a little puzzling because it's so clearly just a hot spot in the midst of a sea change: it's over.
A losing side in a conflict can do a lot of retaliatory damage, though. I believe in some terminologies it is called a "scorched earth retreat" or something along those lines..?

"Winning" doesn't mean you might get a good result, it sometimes just means that the other side got so demoralized that they stopped opposing you and found other avenues to cause damage. That's kind of where we're at, and do we really need to salt the ashes of the internet to prove that you shouldn't send someone a threat to "choke them with their husband's tiny asian penis (also here's your home address)."

I had someone just yesterday, PM me online asking for my address "because I'll come teach you a lesson and you'll be sorry." I explained that I am a great big guy who's got a baseball bat behind my door and live in a stand your ground state, and his best retort was "I was't threatening you." I seriously had to stop myself because I was considering giving him my address, and then when he showed up asking him to leave and then assaulting him with a bat because he was then trespassing on my property - which I've carefully read up on, and I can and do have the legal right to use "up to and including lethal force" on someone who refuses to leave my property when I ask them to. That's a sick situation for all involved. (spoiler: it was because he thought I was a "snitch" for thinking that taking a picture of someone poaching salmon and then txting it to a game warden was acting responsibly, rather than being a narc.)

That person was probably full of horseshit, from his facebook pics I am obviously half-again his size and I'm armed if he came to my home, but what the gently caress are you supposed to do when that happens? You can't ignore it, because it puts you into fight/flight response immediately. The fact that he is a short skinny white guy in a rasta hat doesn't matter, nor does my ability to defend myself - it's loving sick, and despite me obviously "winning" in that debate by not being a possibly-violent lunatic, he's still rolling around unopposed. :smith:

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I guess the thing I don't understand about the attitude that "the war's over" wrt Gamergate or that it's not a big deal or worth talking about anymore is, like, what the hell else is worth talking about? Videogames are terrible!

coyo7e posted:

You can't ignore it, because it puts you into fight/flight response immediately.

No but you can just turn the computer, off, you see, you can turn the computer off, and then that data isn't being stored anywhere...... (there is a place where it stays)

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
You're totally right however, should the answer to someone being a terrible sack of insane behavior be "clear the area and let them continue doing what they're doing"?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The thing I was saying is that even when you walk away from the computer the place the data of the bad men is stored is in your head, which you cannot turn off without putting a bullet in it, and so the argument that interactions on the internet are all bullshit that doesn't matter or affect reasonable adults is really dumb and wrong

I'm on your side I just type like a weirdo itt

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain

C-Euro posted:

I'm a week behind on Thumbs episodes, but holy poo poo there are 10000 holes in Desert Golf? I've got a lot of work to do.

I only know Desert Golf by the things I've heard on podcasts and its starting to sound like a mix between Eversion and Frog Fractions and I am very, very scared.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Zombies' Downfall posted:

The thing I was saying is that even when you walk away from the computer the place the data of the bad men is stored is in your head, which you cannot turn off without putting a bullet in it, and so the argument that interactions on the internet are all bullshit that doesn't matter or affect reasonable adults is really dumb and wrong

I'm on your side I just type like a weirdo itt
No I glossed that parantheticized (I think that's a word?) bit at the end but I don't think my reply contradicted your point either way.. It was just agreeing with you with a question.

I have come to this spot in my moral and ethical map where it's just all, "here there be dragons!", and I'm really kind of torn between "welp, loving stay away from dragons," and also "welp, things are gonna be bumpy but you can't hide because someone else claims there's a mythological creature here that will eat you - that's obviously a ridiculous way to navigate!"

I am kind of landing on the side of "don't back down." I don't want to escalate, but I'm not going to leave the playground because of a bully. I grew up as a bully who wrongly felt that he was being unfairly treated and picked on, and these guys are in the same loving angry-victimhood syndrome which I managed to outgrow (eventually, after getting through a lot of hard things.)

If it's easy, then can it be valuable? Maybe, maybe not.. Yet, if it's risky and difficult, is it inherently more valuable?

I ran into a self-diagnosed aspergers-suffering videogame programmer the other day on a different site, he was railing because he found out that one college which he'd never attended, had abolished A+ grades (thus he was concerned that it would make his perfect-100s grades be less valuable than the inferior 93.7%+ grades of other job seekers), and he was also "fighting the good fight" against "ageism" (the guy is 40 years old, and when asked if he was actually encountering difficulties in finding employment due to his age, he reacted by calling me a liar and listing a bunch of fake-sounding personal accomplishments while labeling me "probably a Democrat" LOL)... The folks on that Isometric cast summarized it pretty well with the "tired of these white guys claiming how much harder it is for them."

In Catcher in the Rye, a key scene involved a quote about the desire to be a martyr for a cause, which I feel is highly apropos for the whole "culture wars" bullshit going on right now with the nominal aggressors commonly painting themselves in the light of victimhood..

quote:

Mr. Antolini lit another cigarette. He smoked like a fiend. Then he said, "Frankly, I don't know what the hell to say to you, Holden."
"I know. I'm very hard to talk to. I realize that."
"I have a feeling that you're riding for some kind of a terrible, terrible fall. But I don't honestly know what kind. . . Are you listening to me?"
"Yes."
You could tell he was trying to concentrate and all
"It may be the kind where, at the age of thirty, you sit in some bar hating everybody who comes in looking as if he might have played football in college. Then again, you may pick up just enough education to hate people who say, 'It's a secret between he and I.' Or you may end up in some business office, throwing paper clips at the nearest stenographer. I just don't know. But do you know what I'm driving at, at all?"

"All right. Listen to me a minute now . . . I may not word this as memorably as I'd like to, but I'll write you a letter about it in a day or two. Then you can get it all straight. But listen now, anyway." He started concentrating again. Then he said, "This fall I think you're riding for--it's a special kind of fall, a horrible kind. The man falling isn't permitted to feel or hear himself hit bottom. He just keeps falling and falling. The whole arrangement's designed for men who, at some time or other in their lives, were looking for something their own environment couldn't supply them with. Or they thought their own environment couldn't supply them with. So they gave up looking. They gave it up before they ever really even got started. You follow me?"
"Yes, sir."
"Sure?"
"Yes."
He got up and poured some more booze in his glass. Then he sat down again. He didn't say anything for a long time
"I don't want to scare you," he said, "but I can very clearly see you dying nobly, one way or another, for some highly unworthy cause." He gave me a funny look. "If I write something down for you, will you read it carefully? And keep it?"
"Yes. Sure," I said. I did, too. I still have the paper he gave me
He went over to this desk on the other side of the room, and without sitting down wrote something on a piece of paper. Then he came back and sat down with the paper in his hand. "Oddly enough, this wasn't written by a practicing poet. It was written by a psychoanalyst named Wilhelm Stekel. Here's what he--Are you still with me?"
"Yes, sure I am."
"Here's what he said: 'The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.'"
He leaned over and handed it to me. I read it right when he gave it to me, and then I thanked him and all and put it in my pocket. It was nice of him to go to all that trouble. It really was. The thing was, though, I didn't feel much like concentrating. Boy, I felt so drat tired all of a sudden
You could tell he wasn't tired at all, though. He was pretty oiled up, for one thing. "I think that one of these days," he said, "you're going to have to find out where you want to go. And then you've got to start going there. But immediately. You can't afford to lose a minute. Not you."
I nodded, because he was looking right at me and all, but I wasn't too sure what he was talking about. I was pretty sure I knew, but I wasn't too positive at the time. I was too drat tired
"And I hate to tell you," he said, "but I think that once you have a fair idea where you want to go, your first move will be to apply yourself in school. You'll have to. You're a student--whether the idea appeals to you or not. You're in love with knowledge. And I think you'll find, once you get past all the Mr. Vineses and their Oral Comp--"
"Mr. Vinsons," I said. He meant all the Mr. Vinsons, not all the Mr. Vineses. I shouldn't have interrupted him, though :spergin:
http://lit.genius.com/Jd-salinger-the-catcher-in-the-rye-chap-24-annotated#note-2666805

Apologies for the hosed-up punctuation and lack of periods, but on top of being pretty topical to the issue, one might go on to note that "Catcher in the Rye" is a book which has been found in the possession of some really, really unbalanced people with axes to grind - and who used that axe on others, physically. Holden's hand-waving and deflection response to his own agenda being challenged, is also extremely telling because it's just what is happening today. :(

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Oct 23, 2014

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

ImPureAwesome posted:

I don't understand. Fire..watch?

It's a tie-in to the Twin Peaks podcast they're doing. Fire Watch With Me.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'm not prescribing actions here. Do what you feel is the most right for you in the place that you're in. I think what I'm saying is that a lot of this stuff sounds like a call to action, "do you not see this? are you not enraged???" is sounding on both sides, and that some, but not all, of that action is really necessary. It's a rallying of support, when all the relevant support has been gathered. At this point, it's more of a drum beat.

I'm not thoroughly convinced of this stance, mind you. But from where I sit (as priviliged as that may be), it's over and the losers can probably flail, flagellate, and fellate one another in the dark. The good guys can straighten their stooped posture and stop calling them names because their true natures are very evident at this point. They'll devour each other and peter out.

Since it's still actively being discussed in podcasts, I guess we can kick the ball around some more here. Otherwise, maybe we can talk about these dumb sexist guys in another thread.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Oct 23, 2014

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

doctorfrog posted:

I'm not thoroughly convinced of this stance, mind you. But from where I sit (as priviliged as that may be), it's over and the losers can probably flail, flagellate, and fellate one another in the dark.
Oh, it's over? That's great, I guess Wu and Sarkeesian and all the other women that've been getting death/rape threats and had to get law enforcement involved can just go back to their normal lives then! Awesome!

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
A recent survey showed that 10% of Americans on the internet do not know what "USA Today" is.

Do you feel that enough people know what gamergate is? Walk into a random *anything* and ask the first person you see what it's about, and you'll quickly find out that only a very, very small portion of the population knows or cares what's going on. Enough that you might again start to be worried about anything actually coming to a head and forcing a change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

doctorfrog posted:

Since it's still actively being discussed in podcasts, I guess we can kick the ball around some more here. Otherwise, maybe we can talk about these dumb sexist guys in another thread.

It's still being actively discussed because the pretend-ethics crusaders have been become more ruthless in targeting specific individuals and have dropped the pretense of caring about anything but punishing people who make them feel uncomfortable. Yeah, anyone with half a brain worked that out long ago, but the discussion isn't just about picking sides, it's about working out what the hell to do with these shameless idiots who can't be pressured or reasoned with.

Some people argue that upping the rhetoric against gamergate just galvanises the worst elements of that community and makes them more determined to lash out, but really, what other choice do people have?

• Locked thread