Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Helium just got an update to fix the L Preview 2.0 problems, try it again!

Play Music just got its Material Design update with Songza stuff built in.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/10/21/google-throws-songza-contextual-playlists-into-play-musics-material-design-update/

Get ready to enter Beast Mode on a Tuesday morning. :v:

Also, so. much. orange.

The Songza update is for Android, iOS, and the web front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

sharktamer posted:

Is there a recommended irc client? AndroIRC has been good for a while, but recently it's been stalling my Nexus 4 during startup. There's not many apps that are even able to do that any more.

Running irssi or WeeChat in screen or tmux on a home server or VPS works great combined with JuiceSSH. It also supports mosh, so you can just leave the connection running 24/7 if you want.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

ThermoPhysical posted:

Helium just got an update to fix the L Preview 2.0 problems, try it again!

Play Music just got its Material Design update with Songza stuff built in.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/10/21/google-throws-songza-contextual-playlists-into-play-musics-material-design-update/

Also, so. much. orange.

The Songza update is for Android, iOS, and the web front.

All these app updates just make me want them to release the 5.0 images.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

wolfbiker posted:

Does Fenix autoload images? I use Carbon because it loads Twitter, Instagram, etc. images in the timeline unlike the official Twitter app. I don't really care for Carbon though and Fenix looks nice.

It has options to show those big, small or not at all in the timeline. The only thing it has trouble with in my experience are some animated gifs.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
The new Play Music is looking pretty rad, especially on my N7. I wasn't sure about the whole Material Design thing when it was first revealed but it's definitely growing on me.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Play Store updated too.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

ThermoPhysical posted:

Hold Me Back Bro radio

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I'm really liking these playlist categories and the overall redesign for Play music. It's a bit heavy on ORANGE but it gets a big thumbs up from me so far.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

PriorMarcus posted:

Play Store updated too.

Mine doesn't seem to have, got any screenshots?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Teeter posted:

I'm really liking these playlist categories and the overall redesign for Play music. It's a bit heavy on ORANGE but it gets a big thumbs up from me so far.

Now if streaming it wouldn't use data on T-Mobile like Spotify it'd use it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Nitrousoxide posted:

Now if streaming it wouldn't use data on T-Mobile like Spotify it'd use it.

And thus the problem with giving free streaming to some and not to all.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

big mean giraffe posted:

edit: hurrrrrrrrrrrrr - no. sorry

Mr Newsman fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 21, 2014

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

grilldos posted:

Running irssi or WeeChat in screen or tmux on a home server or VPS works great combined with JuiceSSH. It also supports mosh, so you can just leave the connection running 24/7 if you want.

Is there somewhere I can get more information on doing this? I have no experience with the SSH client, but I am genuinely interested in trying it out as I did jump at the opportunity to get the full client during a promotional sale.

EDIT: I am forgetting that SSH necessitates a server, which I do not have unless I am going to set up a virtual server on my PC.

Jeff Goldblum fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 22, 2014

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I have been playing around with goon recommended ACDisplay as an active notifications replacement but have some minor gripes that I'm not sure if they can be resolved.

Every couple of times I wake the screen I get the swipe to exit full screen notification requiring me to hit okay to proceed. This is obviously annoying as my muscle memory is going to the icon in the middle.

Also, with pin security enabled it locks my screen every time I power the display off despite my timeout being in minutes.

Any way to sort out these annoyances? It's a solid AN replacement for non Motorola phones.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

big mean giraffe posted:

PriorMarcus fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Oct 22, 2014

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

That happened like a week ago.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
It's a hell of a slow rollout.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Whizbang posted:

That happened like a week ago.
Not only that, there's been a minor update since then.

Typh
Apr 18, 2003

LAY EGG IS TRUE!!!

grilldos posted:

Or Weechat Android, although the icon is ugly as poo poo.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

So, who has an invite to Inbox, Google's fancy new email organization thingy?

\/ so did I. If/when I get in, I'll spread some invites

XIII fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 22, 2014

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
I emailed inbox@google.com directly asking for one. If I am successful, I will report back.

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008
I also emailed in to request so hopefully soon people that visit the thread aren't as disappointed as me that there aren't somehow already a ton of them.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Same here, I sent in a invite request today. I'll update here if I hear anything back.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
So there's now an 'Email' app, a 'Gmail' app, and an 'Inbox' app.

gently caress's sake, Google. :cripes:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

spincube posted:

Yeah, Inbox is supposed to be a different work-flow type thing than email and gmail app but jesus christ google come on.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I got an auto-email saying they'll give me an invite...but nothing more.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

spincube posted:

Email is going away in Lollipop.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

I was chatting with a friend who said that he got in because he knew some people who work for Google and got an invite from them. It won't be open to the public until Friday. So to expect invites on or after Friday.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

spincube posted:

Tunga posted:

Email is going away in Lollipop.
This will be so nice.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Thank loving christ. I still don't understand why the Email was ever even a thing, much less a required thing that broke my phone when I uninstalled it with Titanium.

KoB
May 1, 2009

quote:

Thanks for requesting an invite. We'll send you one as soon as possible.

Your friends at Gmail

:shrug:

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yeah, Inbox is supposed to be a different work-flow type thing than email and gmail app but jesus christ google come on.

Well, supposedly Gmail will be able to handle outside email accounts come Lollipop so we'll be back down to 2 email apps then!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Require More Fire posted:

Well, supposedly Gmail will be able to handle outside email accounts come Lollipop so we'll be back down to 2 email apps then!
To be fair it seems like Inbox is trying to do something GMail isn't. One is a viewer, the other an organizational layer.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I would say it has an unfortunate name. You don't name something new the same name as something your existing product has.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
That, and I thought poo poo like this was why they were jumping up and down about opening up the Gmail API a while ago. Yet now, instead of building it into the existing Gmail app as a basic how-to example to developers, they go and release their productivity improvements as a separate app that works 'on top of' Gmail instead.

I know calling Google schizophrenic is old hat, but come on. It's like the lesson they learned from the last time they tried to 'fix email' with Wave was that, shucks, they just didn't use the right technology to solve the problem.

dik-dik posted:

I still don't understand why the Email was ever even a thing

I'd assume it's because in Google's perfect world circa 2010, anyone could flash a device using AOSP and have a device that turns on, can send and receive phone calls (Dialler) and SMSes (Messaging), can browse the Internet (Browser), and deal with email (Email) - basic, functional smartphone stuff. The new version as of 2014 is an AOSP device that'll turn on and off, but if you need apps then you either go Google Play Services (thus using Hangouts, Chrome and Gmail) or go it alone.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Require More Fire posted:

Only took em six years!

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

bull3964 posted:

I would say it has an unfortunate name. You don't name something new the same name as something your existing product has.

Photos and Gallery.

At least call one "Local Photos" and one "Cloud Photos" or something. When I first switched to Android I had many days of "Wait-- which do I use to view my photos? Either? Both? There's two of them, so there must be a difference..."

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Argyle posted:

Photos and Gallery.

At least call one "Local Photos" and one "Cloud Photos" or something. When I first switched to Android I had many days of "Wait-- which do I use to view my photos? Either? Both? There's two of them, so there must be a difference..."

What IS the difference between photos and gallery?

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
Gallery sucks so much poo poo because if you sync with your online folders (Picasa) you can only view but not edit or delete. Photos at least lets you interact with those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

TraderStav posted:

What IS the difference between photos and gallery?

Gallery is photos that are stored locally on your device, and Photos is cloud-based photos synced to your google account.

So when you take a picture with your phone, it gets stored locally to Gallery, and then backed up to your google account, where you can view it with Photos.

...I think.

• Locked thread