Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Oct 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yes, that is surely the takeaway in our conversation about Blu-ray packaging.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

boom boom boom posted:

Referring to this post you said,

it was a dumb opinion, and there's only one opinion in it.

Well, there's also the opinion you have that Totoro on the Totoro cover, Nausicaä on the Nausicaä cover, Howl's Moving Castle on the Howl's Moving Castle cover, Ponyo on the Ponyo cover, a Borrower on the Borrowers cover, et cetera, are random.

Which is dumb, and you should feel bad about it.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
I agree with boom boom. Most of those covers are terrible. It's not original art or anything, it's just a cell from the movie. The Ponyo one is especially bad, since the picture is so busy and references a specific scene instead of a concept.

For minimal design I'd prefer the old final fantasy style, where it encapsulated the game in a unique image.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Watamote was released this week. Cringe all over again in glorious High Definition!

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
The Japanese bluray boxes are sweet. If anything, it's the right kind of minimalist design, it's not random or something you wouldn't instantly recognize after watching the movie, in most cases.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
If you backed the Time of Eve kickstarter, you should be getting your blu-rays pretty soon 'cause I just got mine.

Valsu
Jan 2, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

If you backed the Time of Eve kickstarter, you should be getting your blu-rays pretty soon 'cause I just got mine.

I got mine today, as well. It looks amazing. It's also pretty cool to see my name listed in the Special Thanks inserts that came with it.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I got the notification that it shipped last week and my copy arrived today as well. I totally dig how her eyes are closed on the slipcase and open on the inside part, makes for a cool effect when you take it out.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
Pictures of the Limited Edition versions of the Cowboy Bebop blu-rays have been released. I was gonna buy the Funimation version but it looks like it'll be a hassle to store so I ended up buying the Amazon version.

http://www.funimation.com/blog/2014/10/10/cowboy-bebop-premium-editions-revealed-see-bebop-at-its-best/

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

horchata posted:

Pictures of the Limited Edition versions of the Cowboy Bebop blu-rays have been released. I was gonna buy the Funimation version but it looks like it'll be a hassle to store so I ended up buying the Amazon version.

http://www.funimation.com/blog/2014/10/10/cowboy-bebop-premium-editions-revealed-see-bebop-at-its-best/

Out of curiosity, is this the same video quality as the UK blurays, or will they be different (remastered or something?)

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

Buffis posted:

Out of curiosity, is this the same video quality as the UK blurays, or will they be different (remastered or something?)

Funimation will take the video masters from Sunrise and do their own encoding (which tends to have different brightness levels than the JP equipment) and those will be authored onto the NA BDs. It'll have different quality (and likely worse due to differing brightness levels). This is pretty much standard for Funi and Viz (as of late).

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

ultimatemegax posted:

Funimation will take the video masters from Sunrise and do their own encoding (which tends to have different brightness levels than the JP equipment) and those will be authored onto the NA BDs. It'll have different quality (and likely worse due to differing brightness levels). This is pretty much standard for Funi and Viz (as of late).

So basically, since I have the UK blurays, and don't really care about the extras of the limited boxsets, I can safely ignore the US release?

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

Buffis posted:

So basically, since I have the UK blurays, and don't really care about the extras of the limited boxsets, I can safely ignore the US release?

Yep. I'll safely say they won't look any better than the UK release at minimum.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
How were the UK remasters in terms of image quality? I kind of want to get bebop in bluray but worried funimation will screw something up... Also want some of those extras too like the art books.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Cinedigm is releasing "Patema Inverted" and "Welcome to the Space Show" on Blu-Ray and DVD in the US on November 11th.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

After having it preordered since January this year when it was supposed to come out in June, I may actually get the Gurren Lagann Ultimate Edition BD on Monday. :ohdear:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Robert Denby posted:

Cinedigm is releasing "Patema Inverted" and "Welcome to the Space Show" on Blu-Ray and DVD in the US on November 11th.
If you didn't know already, Patema Inverted is directed by Yasuhiro Yoshiura (aka the Time of Eve fellow). It's a pretty great adventure film and is the sort of movie that Ghibli should have been making over the past 10 years. Definitely a purchase for me.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

Sakurazuka posted:

After having it preordered since January this year when it was supposed to come out in June, I may actually get the Gurren Lagann Ultimate Edition BD on Monday. :ohdear:

Hey, I just opened up this thread to say this.
Finally got a shipping notification of this set (http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00HSHDGHW/ ).

Good thing I preordered it early as well, I was only charged 88£ for it (I guess I preordered it when it was listed as such), and it seems like it goes for 108£ now.

OZC
Jan 28, 2008
Yeah, unfortunately, it looks like there are a few issues with it.

http://animeblurayuk.wordpress.com/2014/10/20/all-the-animes-ultimate-edition-of-gurren-lagann-suffers-from-some-amusing-production-flaws/

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

All the Anime have a pretty poo poo record for BD defects to be honest, at least the ones in the GL set are stuff I'll probably never notice.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

quote:

Re capture errors - I'm afraid what you linked are issues that were there even on the source material for the first one and the second isn't a capture error but a fix to a tape that was drastically out of sync that had to be lifted from the TV eps. We were supplied no moving video for that portion so the authoring house had to patch in under a minute of DVD footage and yes it shows - but it beats no movement at all and being stuck on that frame.
LMAO. This physical media thing is hard.

ultimatemegax posted:

It's like they really don't want people to buy these things.

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Oct 22, 2014

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Was "Hey we're missing some footage send us another tape" somehow impossible?

OZC
Jan 28, 2008
That's what irritates me. They delayed this thing from a June release, and every time they talked about the delay, the implication was that Aniplex was dragging their feet with approvals on the packaging and artbook, not with delivery of the actual footage. How is it that they didn't have enough time to request redelivery, and why was this kept quiet until release?

Someone in the forum thread there has already shown that the US discs and the Netflix streams are ok, so why not lift from those? It would be better than what they did. Hell, Toonami is airing broadcast versions that don't have these problems, and the are made from the BD remasters. Somehow, Turner got Aniplex to deliver them proper HD masters with a custom OP/ED sequence to fit the time requirements, yet Anime Limited couldn't get Aniplex to resend them two episodes that weren't screwed up in the 10 months since this thing went up for preorder?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
It's probably less that they didn't try to get new elements, and more that they did try and were told to get hosed. Japanese licensors have a history of actively trying to make the American releases worse, whether because of reverse importing or simply because "gently caress you gaijin."

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

SALT CURES HAM posted:

It's probably less that they didn't try to get new elements, and more that they did try and were told to get hosed. Japanese licensors have a history of actively trying to make the American releases worse, whether because of reverse importing or simply because "gently caress you gaijin."

They shouldn't need to worry about European stuff though, considering they're in a different region code.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

But does gurren lagann actually have a bluray release in NA? All I found was just the movies.

I assume the UK set is region locked.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ineffiable posted:

But does gurren lagann actually have a bluray release in NA? All I found was just the movies.

Nope.

And yes.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Ineffiable posted:

http://www.aniplexusa.com/gurrenlagannbd/
Plus the Japanese box set has English audio and subs and it's only $600

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

The Japanese set has been discontinued for some time now.

They're releasing single volumes starting in November with the second coming in December. $50 each at 5 volumes leads to being about half as much as the imported box.

Of course they're also singles so its not much bang for your buck at around $10 an episode.

OZC
Jan 28, 2008
There actually is a US release. Two of them to be exact. The first one was a direct import of the Japanese box, since that set had the dub and subs on it. It retailed for about $550. Then they re-released the movies as a standalone set several months ago, and they just announced (and may have started releasing) singles for the series at around $50 a pop, and if it's anything like the movies rel-release, it'll be the same 5 discs from the original set.

The US releases have seen the reverse importation-discouraging pricing, but haven't been gimped for the most part. Hell, the US release of Sword Art Online has lossy audio tracks, while the UK release Manga put out had lossless audio.

Still, even if Aniplex did tell Anime Limited to get hosed, that still doesn't change the fact that Andrew has had months to tell the fans that the masters provided were faulty and replacements weren't available, and explained the fixes before people dropped $150 on the set. Sure, a few seconds of footage isn't likely to detract from the overall experience, but it's still frustrating.

Edit: Beaten by quite a bit on most of this...

OZC fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Oct 22, 2014

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

RMZXAnarchy posted:

The Japanese set has been discontinued for some time now.
Sure, but it's still in stock on Amazon JP and some other places.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

OZC posted:

The US releases have seen the reverse importation-discouraging pricing, but haven't been gimped for the most part. Hell, the US release of Sword Art Online has lossy audio tracks, while the UK release Manga put out had lossless audio.

That's just Aniplex being Aniplex in regards to the pricing. I've not noticed any glaring flaws with the two Kill La Kill sets they've put out but I figure if it was anything I wouldn't have noticed it unless somebody told me anyway.

Does Lossy Audio really mean much on already printed media? I'm not an audiophile so I admit I don't really have an ear for these things.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

RMZXAnarchy posted:

That's just Aniplex being Aniplex in regards to the pricing. I've not noticed any glaring flaws with the two Kill La Kill sets they've put out but I figure if it was anything I wouldn't have noticed it unless somebody told me anyway.

Does Lossy Audio really mean much on already printed media? I'm not an audiophile so I admit I don't really have an ear for these things.

For the most part no, but if I'm dropping six bills on a TV show it better be the best version possible.

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

RMZXAnarchy posted:

The big issue people are raising in regards to Aniplex of America's release of KLK is the packaging being a slipcover instead of the chipboard boxes that Bake/Nisemonogatari, Blue Exorcist, SAO, and Fate/Zero got last year. It has lossless audio for both tracks due to the complaints they got from the last two's English tracks.

While lossy audio can sound close, if not exact, to lossless audio for the vast utter majority of people, the SAO English track had less of a audio boost than the Japanese track did. I can't recall if F/Z did or not. While SAO's English track was encoded at the highest possible quality for Dolby Digital, F/Z's track was encoded at the levels used for DVDs (much lower). Again, most people tend not to notice this, so it's rather pointless. People bring it up because they're expecting utter perfection from Aniplex in everything because they pay more (and yet never chide Funi/Viz/Sentai for their mistakes or even apologize for them).

Midjack posted:

For the most part no, but if I'm dropping six bills on a TV show it better be the best version possible.

Thanks for the exaggeration. The highest price for a domestic release (non-import) from AoA has been $360 for 25 episodes of SAO. The highest price AoA has charged for an import was $550 (for the same TTGL box as Japan).

ultimatemegax fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 22, 2014

OZC
Jan 28, 2008

ultimatemegax posted:

People bring it up because they're expecting utter perfection from Aniplex in everything because they pay more (and yet never chide Funi/Viz/Sentai for their mistakes or even apologize for them).

I'll give Aniplex the benefit of the doubt (with the exception of Kill la Kill where the packaging has been downgraded) since they do at least offer a premium package and a good range of extra items with it, but the cost breakdown is still a bitter pill to swallow. But you're right. Because of the higher prices, I expect a justification for that price, and the best possible quality out of the technical side is part of that. That's another reason the UK box for GL looked attractive, because it had the 5.1 dub mix while the US/JP set did not. I'll admit I don't personally care about having lossless audio because I have a fairly basic surround system, but there are those that insist they can hear the differences, so more power to 'em.

Honestly, I only brought up SAO because I know the UK version had lossless audio compared to the US version. I don't actually have either the US or UK version of the show, so for all I know, the UK discs could have inferior video and superior audio. They obviously want to discourage reverse imports, and rather than using geolocking, they use JP-level pricing. It's that or end up where Funimation is with Kadokawa shows where they get the BD rights a year or two later. I can't exactly say I disagree with the Aniplex method.

That's not to say Funi and the others don't deserve to catch hell for their screwups though. I mean, Sentai screwed up something in their release of Kids on the Slope and basically said "Nah, not gonna fix it" until enough people complained about it that they couldn't ignore it. Funi's brightness issues have long been a problem with their releases. The masters Viz used on Gargantia are awful looking. Until recently, none of them could encode a 1080i BD to save their lives. I'm not saying they deserve to have these issues ignored, but I find it easier to accept them when I'm paying a 3rd of the price compared to an Aniplex release.

Does that mean I should be more forgiving of Anime Limited's situation? Maybe. Still, just because I might be willing to live with it doesn't also mean I'm not going to call them out on the problem. It took them a year, but they fixed some minor encoding errors on their Cowboy Bebop release, so hopefully once they sort out the immediate issues with the packaging, they'll give the video issues some consideration. The fact that they did that for Bebop is more than I expect out of Viz and their issues with Gargantia, and considering Funi STILL hasn't changed their encoding methods to sort out the brightness issues, I suspect we'll never see that end.

Edit: Anime Limited updated their blog with a post about what is happening. Long story short, the digipacks are getting replaced, and the video issues won't be fixed. - http://www.alltheanime.com/gurren-lagann-update/

OZC fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 22, 2014

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Eh, with KLK the boxes are basically the same as the ones for the TTGL Movie DVDs they released way back in 2009 and they're perfectly fine for the purpose they serve. They don't seem like they're prone to damage in transit so whatever, I feel as if a nicer chipboard would've cost more and the show's already more expensive than most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

ultimatemegax posted:

Thanks for the exaggeration. The highest price for a domestic release (non-import) from AoA has been $360 for 25 episodes of SAO. The highest price AoA has charged for an import was $550 (for the same TTGL box as Japan).

It's really splitting hairs to call someone out on exaggeration and then throw down prices like $350-$550. If it costs as much as the decent 32-40" TV you're watching it on, it's pretty ridiculous no matter how you slice it.

• Locked thread