Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

On Terra Firma posted:

Has anyone written to the democratic party and said "Hey, your messaging sucks."

You'd think the interns might think something's wrong when Jon Stewart yells at them to stop sending him those emails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

On Terra Firma posted:

Has anyone written to the democratic party and said "Hey, your messaging sucks."

"Everything is hosed" is a pretty good message to send considering the Democratic Party's messaging for the last n years has been "oh god the republicans will personally kill your grandmother and your puppy tomorrow".

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

uncurable mlady posted:

"Everything is hosed" is a pretty good message to send considering the Democratic Party's messaging for the last n years has been "oh god the republicans will personally kill your grandmother and your puppy tomorrow".

Anyone who refuses to vote Republican believes this anyway.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

On Terra Firma posted:

They're raising more legit money than the GOP :shrug:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I do enjoy the subtle irony in that for all their complaining about Republicans trying to control public opinion via fear mongering, the Democrats' best strategy for wringing money out of their base is also fear mongering.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Turns out fear is a pretty strong motivator.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Joementum posted:

Hint: that chart doesn't show spending by independent groups. :ssh:

Didn't TDS do a segment like a week ago bashing Democrats regarding fundraising emails? I thought it was pretty lovely of TDS to overlook the fact that of course Democrats will have higher fundraising figures -- that's because more of their fundraising is aboveboard.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Jennie-O Turkey is a tool of the caliphate. Eat Hormel Ham.

Hebrew National already controls Wall Street, don't let them control Main Street. Eat Ballpark Franks.

Busch did 9/11. Drink Keystone Light.

And so on.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

uncurable mlady posted:

That'd never happen! *Republicans revoke ACA and laws against dogfighting, cut Medicaire*

The defeatist emails are the stupidest thing, but the messaging has been pretty spot on, yeah.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

richardfun posted:

Dear Santa,

I'm good this year.

This could only be more fun if Sarah gave a statement.
I have a 2nd cousin who lives in Alaska. He did the Iditarod, not some pansy-rear end snowmobile race. I wonder what he thinks of Palin?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Chokes McGee posted:

That'd never happen! *Republicans revoke ACA and laws against dogfighting, cut Medicaire*

The defeatist emails are the stupidest thing, but the messaging has been pretty spot on, yeah.

How the hell are they going to revoke the ACA? Our congress has never been more anemic, and even if the majority shifts to the Republicans it won't be by enough of a margin to change that. If the Dems keep the majority, then we have a congress nominally controlled by Democrats that can't get anything passed because the Republican house & Senate minority throw a fit about everything. If the Republicans take the majority then we have a congress nominally controlled by Republicans that can't get anything passed because the Dem minorities throw a fit about everything, and anything even remotely conservative they manage to squeeze through the cracks is vetoed, which they will not have the numbers to overturn.

The only powers that matter in Government anymore are the judicial branch and the ever expanding executive apparatus. That isn't going to change until the party polarization is lessened or one party wins an overwhelming majority in both chambers, and runs with it.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

On Terra Firma posted:

Yeah it was titled the 2010 election.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

There's even a parody site based on the Dems' emails this year: http://emailsfromthedccc.tumblr.com

It's hard to tell the parodies from the real emails they're sending.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Joementum posted:

I'm actually starting to feel a bit sorry for those of you who receive these emails.

Game over, man!

Today Senator Tom Coburn (R-OK) performed his yearly ritual in which he invokes some of the wasteful spending he wants to cut. Not surprisingly, most of it is NSF non-applied science grants on things that sound funny if you don't think about them, or any government spending on the arts.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/oct/22/government-waste-includes-swedish-massages-rabbits/

quote:

More than a dozen lucky rabbits were given Swedish massages four times a day, courtesy of U.S. taxpayers, as part of a study to figure out whether massage can help recovery times after strenuous exercise — a practice Sen. Tom Coburn says makes a mockery of federal spending.

The rabbit massages are one of the hundred wasteful products Mr. Coburn, an Oklahoma Republican, identified in his latest edition of the Wastebook, an annual compendium of the ridiculous and outrageous items in government spending, which he is releasing on Wednesday.

Other highlights included the National Science Foundation paying academics to teach monkeys to gamble, government sponsorship of a children’s play about brain-eating zombies and a first-person combat shooting video game the Army developed — but which intelligence officials fear terrorists could use to train their own recruits. Indeed, Hezbollah has adapted the game’s design to train suicide martyrs.

Mr. Coburn’s investigators also found scientists putting mountain lions, monkeys, rats and cows on treadmills. That’s reminiscent of a previous famous item Mr. Coburn spotted that involved sticking shrimp on a treadmill to try to see if tired shrimp were less healthy.

“Only someone with too much of someone else’s money and not enough accountability for how it was being spent could come up [with] some of the zany projects the government paid for this year,” Mr. Coburn said upon releasing the report.

My favorite example of this kind of thing happened last year, courtesy of Eric Cantor inspiring millions of nerds around the country:

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Yeah it was titled the 2010 election.

I think it was a thread title at one point actually

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Joementum posted:

I'm actually starting to feel a bit sorry for those of you who receive these emails.

How inspiring.

Yes We Can't!

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

William Bear posted:

Game over, man!

Today Senator Tom Coburn (R-OK) performed his yearly ritual in which he invokes some of the wasteful spending he wants to cut. Not surprisingly, most of it is NSF non-applied science grants on things that sound funny if you don't think about them, or any government spending on the arts.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/oct/22/government-waste-includes-swedish-massages-rabbits/

My favorite example of this kind of thing happened last year, courtesy of Eric Cantor inspiring millions of nerds around the country:

You know, at least the man is going after things that appear to be an utter waste of funds, rather than openly attacking medicare or food stamps. Progress!

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

Talmonis posted:

You know, at least the man is going after things that appear to be an utter waste of funds, rather than openly attacking medicare or food stamps. Progress!

You say that but making cuts to "seemingly useless" projects is leading to a brain drain of sorts. Scientists are moving to other countries that can fund their research because they suddenly find themselves unable to continue their funding with the government. Because budget cuts and deficits, don'tcha know.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Talmonis posted:

It's so awesome to me that all Cantor's smug pandering and incessant douchey-ness wasn't enough to keep him in office. Sure he's making a jillion dollars a year at some firm but you know for someone like him, the defeat will never go away and all the money in the world won't make him happy, just like :mitt:.

Unzip and Attack fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Oct 22, 2014

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Talmonis posted:

They only appear to be, though. That study on massages found results that are going to reduce injuries and improve recovery time for athletes and improve physical therapy, saving millions of dollars annually in healthcare spending.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

Unzip and Attack posted:

It's so awesome to me that all Cantor's smug pandering and incessant douchey-ness wasn't enough to keep him in office. Sure he's making a jillion dollars a year at some firm but you know for someone like him, the defeat will never go away and all the money in the world won't make him happy, just like RomneyTron.

Worse than that I'm afraid. Son of Cantor 2020.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Unzip and Attack posted:

It's so awesome to me that all Cantor's smug pandering and incessant douchey-ness wasn't enough to keep him in office. Sure he's making a jillion dollars a year at some firm but you know for someone like him, the defeat will never go away and all the money in the world won't make him happy, just like :mitt:.

So he's a modern day Marcus Crassus?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Sydin posted:

So he's a modern day Marcus Crassus?

I very much doubt that anyone is planning to pour molten silver down his throat.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Chamale posted:

They only appear to be, though. That study on massages found results that are going to reduce injuries and improve recovery time for athletes and improve physical therapy, saving millions of dollars annually in healthcare spending.

I'm not saying that I agree with Coburn, just that it tends to be worse from just about any other Republican.

Though to be honest, Swedish massages on Rabbits seems pretty goddamn stupid on its face. Why wouldn't we just use voluntary (hell, even paid) human testing?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Talmonis posted:

Though to be honest, Swedish massages on Rabbits seems pretty goddamn stupid on its face. Why wouldn't we just use voluntary (hell, even paid) human testing?

Because humans won't sit in a cage doing nothing all day eating a carefully paced and monitored diet and doing only precisely the exercise that we need.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The only bad part about that rabbit study is that they were euthanized in the end. :smith:

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

Zeroisanumber posted:

Because humans won't sit in a cage doing nothing all day eating a carefully paced and monitored diet and doing only precisely the exercise that we need.

That, and researchers have lost the benefit of the doubt when we did some ethically questionable experiments in the past.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Zeroisanumber posted:

I very much doubt that anyone is planning to pour molten silver down his throat.

I'd actually donate to the dems if this was the messaging in their emails.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll
Normally I'm against experimenting on rabbits, but it's hard to be anti-rabbit massages.

Edit:

MacheteZombie posted:

The only bad part about that rabbit study is that they were euthanized in the end. :smith:

gently caress.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MacheteZombie posted:

This is the only thing an IRB will let you do to research animals at the end of a study.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Speaking of which, I remember reading earlier that Dem fundraisers mentioning the Koch brothers were 3x as likely to earn donations than those that didn't.

Occasionally I'd open a fundraising email and go "okay fine here's $10 will you leave me alone now" a while back.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Zeroisanumber posted:

I volunteer.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

This is the only thing an IRB will let you do to research animals at the end of a study.

Doesn't mean I approve it! :smith:

I'll take solace in the fact that those rabbits were probably super chill during it, freshly massaged and full of carrots.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

zoux posted:

I volunteer.

Do you volunteer at least 20 hours a week? If not, volunteer more.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 22, 2014

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

Zeroisanumber posted:

How about just enough colloidal silver to turn him purple?

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

MacheteZombie posted:

Doesn't mean I approve it! :smith:

I'll take solace in the fact that those rabbits were probably super chill during it, freshly massaged and full of carrots.
Just think about how everything else in this country works. If those rules were any looser, institutions would never pay for new animals, no matter how many scientists protested that no seriously we can't re-use this batch, they are ruined for further experimentation.

This country and science are already hostile enough to each other. Things getting any worse'd be a disaster.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

AmiYumi posted:

Just think about how everything else in this country works. If those rules were any looser, institutions would never pay for new animals, no matter how many scientists protested that no seriously we can't re-use this batch, they are ruined for further experimentation.

This country and science are already hostile enough to each other. Things getting any worse'd be a disaster.

I figured it was to prevent diseased or weirdly experimented (like dosed with LSD all day or something that changes the rabbits behaviors drastically) rabbits from entering the public sphere, but the re-use concern is probably more correct.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Zeroisanumber posted:

Stop crushing my dreams. :(

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Yeah, made for TV movies of the 80s tells me that you get to keep the glow in the dark rabbits as pets at the end of the study! Or, you get the goose that lays litteral golden eggs, or something...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Zeroisanumber posted:

"Crown for White Horse!"

• Locked thread