Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
A self narrated story of Narset, Totally-Not-a-Planeswalker:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/ur/enlightened-2014-10-22

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
@Belphegor86 (Dan) Commander 2014 previews begin next Monday, 27th October! #mtgc14

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Count Bleck posted:

Or Commander 2014 spoilers actually do start.

Seriously, where's Urza, Planeswalker already?! :argh:
Since it's all mono colored I don't think Urza would be included.
Yawgmoth will never EVER get a card in your lifetime.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Angry Grimace posted:

A self narrated story of Narset, Totally-Not-a-Planeswalker:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/ur/enlightened-2014-10-22

I saw mysterious other worlds, I have ever since I was a child. Other worlds like those the exiled Mardu shaman Sarkhan claims to see in his visions. They are probably dreams and don't mean anything. After all, Sarkhan is a crazy person.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
Didn't Maro post something on his blog ambiguously hinting that we may see named creatures in one set, and Planeswalkers based on them in a later set? Should I just start picking up UWR stuff now?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
Narset as the tricolor planeswalker opposed to a new Nicol Bolas card in the third set (being WRU instead of BRU) is pretty much my dumb story dream.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
A friend of mine said he'd read a story online pretty much explaining the origin of the Tarkir Vampire token, that Sorin killed some Mardudes and enthralled one to lead him to Ugin's grave, did anyone see it? I can't find it on the Wizards site, possibly because I'm not getting on with the redesign.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God
Temur dudes, not Mardudes.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/ur/sorins-revelation-2014-09-24

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

BizarroAzrael posted:

A friend of mine said he'd read a story online pretty much explaining the origin of the Tarkir Vampire token, that Sorin killed some Mardudes and enthralled one to lead him to Ugin's grave, did anyone see it? I can't find it on the Wizards site, possibly because I'm not getting on with the redesign.

Here's the article, and here's the archive. It's definitely a pain in the rear end to find.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Ah, makes sense since they were in the snowy regions, I just thought the armour was Mardu style.

And it "Temsters". Also "Jesguys". And...Sultans? I got nothing for Abzan. Abzaneighbours?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

UberJew posted:

Narset as the tricolor planeswalker opposed to a new Nicol Bolas card in the third set (being WRU instead of BRU) is pretty much my dumb story dream.

I don't think they're going to do a tri-colored walker again unless its a Commander product or something because then you're taking the spotlight cards of your product and limiting it to very specific decks. If they go with a Narset walker, I'd be very surprised if she wasn't just blue or blue/x.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't think they're going to do a tri-colored walker again unless its a Commander product or something because then you're taking the spotlight cards of your product and limiting it to very specific decks. If they go with a Narset walker, I'd be very surprised if she wasn't W/U.

Considering they freely print Walkers that are for no deck I fail to see how an UWR planeswalker is problematic.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

UberJew posted:

And in a glorious anti-climax, the third set ends with Narset popping up and kicking the poo poo out of the single oldest being in the multiverse with kung fu. Come to think of it, has Nicole won any battles since the mending? Even with Ugin, we're on a course to, "Nah, you didn't actually win that one because time travel."

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Ramos posted:

And in a glorious anti-climax, the third set ends with Narset popping up and kicking the poo poo out of the single oldest being in the multiverse with kung fu. Come to think of it, has Nicole won any battles since the mending? Even with Ugin, we're on a course to, "Nah, you didn't actually win that one because time travel."

He freed the Eldrazi and got super high on Conflux, that sounds like winning to me.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

BizarroAzrael posted:

Ah, makes sense since they were in the snowy regions, I just thought the armour was Mardu style.

Zurgo and the Horde - Mardu Style.

Ramos posted:

He beat the poo poo out of Leshrac (FUT) and handed Teferi's rear end to him (TSP i believe).

Time Spiral block was pretty high on Nicol Bolas kicking rear end.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't think they're going to do a tri-colored walker again unless its a Commander product or something because then you're taking the spotlight cards of your product and limiting it to very specific decks. If they go with a Narset walker, I'd be very surprised if she wasn't just blue or blue/x.

Sorin already only fits in 2/5 wedges. They can easily make a RW or BG or UG walker that covers the other wedges.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Is the DCI really going to start going after people for message board content now, or are people actually harassing Humphries on facebook and twitter?

From: http://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/2jsuue/suspect_shuffling_at_worchester_scg_standard/

quote:

We have reviewed the footage of Mr. Humphries and concluded that there is enough evidence that we have submitted an investigation to the Judge Program. We have contacted Mr. Humphries to notify him of this and to request a statement for inclusion in the investigation.

This also activates our Prize Hold policy for players under investigation meaning that Mr. Humphries' prizes will be held, pending the completion of this investigation. If the investigation results in a suspension, his prizes will be donated to charity.

Jared Sylva StarCityGames.com Organized Play Manager

Addendum: It has come to my attention that there have been a number of personal attacks made against Mr. Humphries that go well beyond the scope of this investigation, or simple comments regarding relevant incidents. I want to remind everyone that any evidence that they wish to present can be forwarded to me directly to pass along to the investigation which is already formally reviewing the case.

One of the reasons that I felt that this has been a constructive situation is that we were able to quickly start the official process in motion and, I had hoped, avoid the type of cyber bullying and personal attacks that undermine the strength of the Magic community. Mr. Humphries will be judged based on his actions taken in sanctioned events and there is nothing to be gained, and everything to be lost, by turning this into personal attacks and character assassination through social media.

I also want to note that this type of abusive behavior is an area of focus in Wizards of the Coasts' ongoing efforts to provide a safe and supportive environments for all Magic player. This situation started with a clear message: the Magic community will not stand for cheating. That message will be lost if the final story to emerge from this is multiple suspensions for abusive conduct.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Bugsy posted:

Is the DCI really going to start going after people for message board content now, or are people actually harassing Humphries on facebook and twitter?

From: http://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/2jsuue/suspect_shuffling_at_worchester_scg_standard/

A French player got suspended for life after threatening a WotC employee on a forum. They will absolutely punish for it.

http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/magic-fundamentals/magic-general/327999-lucas-florent-receives-lifetime-ban

The ban has since been lifted (a year later), but I wouldn't be surprised if similar things happen again.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I don't see how shaming a cheater (weird that a similar announcement never came up for Bertoncini since a lot of us have probably harassed him in the past) goes against that mission statement but whatever floats their boat.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

Sorin already only fits in 2/5 wedges. They can easily make a RW or BG or UG walker that covers the other wedges.

You don't have to play a wedge deck though.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Considering they freely print Walkers that are for no deck I fail to see how an UWR planeswalker is problematic.

There's one three-colored walker in existence and the three-colored set is the one that's already in print that doesn't have a three-colored walker in it.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I saw mysterious other worlds, I have ever since I was a child. Other worlds like those the exiled Mardu shaman Sarkhan claims to see in his visions. They are probably dreams and don't mean anything. After all, Sarkhan is a crazy person.
To be fair, Sarkhan is proven unstable.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Bugsy posted:

I believe that was directed the the folks who were doxxing him. It appears his linkedin was easily found and folks in the Reddit thread were bringing up the fact he is an MP in the airforce and discussing if there were any ramifications for his job. Basically hinting that someone should contact the air force "for justice". I would imagine that if get caught doing that poo poo on twitter or anywhere else you could go down with him.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Veyrall posted:

To be fair, Sarkhan is proven unstable.

If you had a dragon ghost whispering random poo poo into your head that nobody else could hear, wouldn't you think you were crazy too?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Sickening posted:

I believe that was directed the the folks who were doxxing him. It appears his linkedin was easily found and folks in the Reddit thread were bringing up the fact he is an MP in the airforce and discussing if there were any ramifications for his job. Basically hinting that someone should contact the air force "for justice". I would imagine that if get caught doing that poo poo on twitter or anywhere else you could go down with him.

Internet detectivery is scary poo poo. I can definitely see wizards trying to quash that before it becomes a major problem for them. If that is what they are threatening with DCI punishment, I can certainly agree with it.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Angry Grimace posted:

You don't have to play a wedge deck though.
Right. I was agreeing that a 2-color walker is fine and it would probably be UG because BG would fit in the same deck as Sorin.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Angry Grimace posted:

There's one three-colored walker in existence and the three-colored set is the one that's already in print that doesn't have a three-colored walker in it.

Counterpoint - Conflux wasn't a 3-color set. (It was a domain set)

Sickening posted:

Oh dang people were doxxing him? Yeah that's honestly way more out of the line than just internet shaming. It's weird because like, using one's own real identity on the internet is a thing that people just do but like it's done with the belief that people won't abuse that information.

What we should really do is get giant red C's (or S's) and make people who have served DCI suspensions wear them at tournaments.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Zoness posted:

Counterpoint - Conflux wasn't a 3-color set.

Your point being? It was a 5 color set.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 22, 2014

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Angry Grimace posted:

Your point being? It was a 5 color set.

Angry Grimace posted:

What's your point here then? The only 3 color walker in existence wasn't printed in a 3-color set, so a 3-color walker being omitted from Khans doesn't preclude one from being included in a future set in the block.

Also Nicol Bolas saw play in 5 color control as a "fifth cruel ultimatum" that was better at dealing with things that cruel ultimatum didn't handle well.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 22, 2014

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Zoness posted:

What we should really do is get giant red C's (or S's) and make people who have served DCI suspensions wear them at tournaments.

Honestly, if its ruled somebody intentionally cheated, and they have done it more than once, should not be allowed to play in DCI sanctioned events. Sure, they'll probably still be able to play at low level events like FNM's by using a different DCI number and a fake name, but they are prevented from robbing people of their winnings.

Also, the guy who lost to Humphries in the finals, I feel like he should get some of the first place prize out. I know its a logistical nightmare, but drat, its a huge kick in the nuts to lose, and then find out it was because the opponent cheated.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Zoness posted:

What's your point here then? The only 3 color walker in existence wasn't printed in a 3-color set, so a 3-color walker being omitted from Khans doesn't preclude one from being included in a future set in the block.

I don't know if you're actually asking a question or just refusing to figure it out so you can keep up with your internet persona as "the guy who argues."

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Sickening posted:

Oh I did not not know that people were doing that. They absolutely deserve any punishment if they were contacting his job or family about this.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Sickening posted:

Doxxing is reprehensible but imagining what an Air Force lieutenant or whatever would make of a call explaining that one of his MPs was caught basedealing nonland permanents to the top, thus ensuring his opponent would be mana screwed is funny.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Zoness posted:

Counterpoint - Conflux wasn't a 3-color set.

Oh dang people were doxxing him? Yeah that's honestly way more out of the line than just internet shaming. It's weird because like, using one's own real identity on the internet is a thing that people just do but like it's done with the belief that people won't abuse that information.

Its hilarious how hosed up people's moral compasses are. DCI punishment and prize forfeit just isn't enough for some people. They want to take it to him losing his job and outed from his banned from his LGS and other bullshit that doesn't make sense.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Madmarker posted:

Honestly, if its ruled somebody intentionally cheated, and they have done it more than once, should not be allowed to play in DCI sanctioned events. Sure, they'll probably still be able to play at low level events like FNM's by using a different DCI number and a fake name, but they are prevented from robbing people of their winnings.

Also, the guy who lost to Humphries in the finals, I feel like he should get some of the first place prize out. I know its a logistical nightmare, but drat, its a huge kick in the nuts to lose, and then find out it was because the opponent cheated.

What about everyone else during the event who also lost to humphries, which includes plenty of people he knocked out of day 2 contention? That's the real problem with restructuring tournament results that way. Like, why does the guy who had the luck to face the scumbag last get the most out of it?

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't know if you're actually asking a question or just refusing to figure it out so you can keep up with your internet persona as "the guy who argues."

I don't know if you intentionally make empty posts or just refuse to figure out how to contribute meaningful content.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 22, 2014

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Sickening posted:

Its hilarious how hosed up people's moral compasses are. DCI punishment and prize forfeit just isn't enough for some people. They want to take it to him losing his job and outed from his banned from his LGS and other bullshit that doesn't make sense.

I can't imagine there is really a large number of jobs you'd get fired from for basedealing nonland permanents to the top of your opponents deck.

Zoness posted:

I don't know if you intentionally make empty posts or just can't figure out how to contribute meaningful content.

So just arguing then. Got it.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Zoness posted:

I think it needs to be more ironic. Maybe, since White is the colour most morally opposed to cheating, to put a white mana symbol on their shirts, so that everyone can see. And to prevent them from changing DCI numbers, they can get a tattoo of them. :v:

Dumb jokes aside, doxxing is idiotic. Dude cheats at a card game, and he's already going to lose out on the prizes, and get banned, he's not a murderer.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Terrible Horse posted:

Doxxing is reprehensible but imagining what an Air Force lieutenant or whatever would make of a call explaining that one of his MPs was caught basedealing nonland permanents to the top, thus ensuring his opponent would be mana screwed is funny.

"Cheating at cards" is something everyone can understand, but that doesn't mean people should try ruining Humphries's life.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Chamale posted:

"Cheating at cards" is something everyone can understand, but that doesn't mean people should try ruining Humphries's life.

I will say that I imagine many employers would be less concerned about "cheated at a fantasy-world card game" than he would be about "cheated at a local poker tournament" despite the fact that they're basically the same thing.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Zoness posted:

What about everyone else during the event who also lost to humphries, which includes plenty of people he knocked out of day 2 contention? That's the real problem with restructuring tournament results that way. Like, why does the guy who had the luck to face the scumbag last get the most out of it?

Hence my statement it's a logistical nightmare. I have no better idea for the current system that Starcity is employing and have no idea how to resolve it equitably for all parties involved, and will agree that Starcity's current method of donating the prize money is a fair compromise between the ideal and reality. However I really feel there needs to be some sort of compensation for the person who got there and lost thanks to a cheater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

I will say that I imagine many employers would be less concerned about "cheated at a fantasy-world card game" than he would be about "cheated at a local poker tournament" despite the fact that they're basically the same thing.

people who aren't nerds play poker and poker isn't Dumb Nerd poo poo

• Locked thread