Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Pretty sure that most of the actual Sonic games timed you out if you spent ten minutes in one level. And to do that you'd either have to get stuck somewhere that you couldn't escape from, or be intentionally screwing around. And even then, you'd probably cover most of the map, kill all the enemies, loot practically all of the rings, and then get bored enough to finish the level anyway before that timer runs out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The Rabbi T. White posted:

I found something rather appropriate to this thread: http://sonicisreal.bandcamp.com/releases
I will watch every minute of the credits if you play this music over them.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
This guy's doing an all stories speedrun of 06. Watch a guy be far too good at a thing no one likes!

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
Hey

TheModernAmerican posted:

This guy's doing an all stories speedrun of 06. Watch a guy be far too good at a thing no one likes!
This guy is cool. Watch this.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Nihilarian posted:

I will watch every minute of the credits if you play this music over them.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

TheModernAmerican posted:

gently caress, I missed it. I guess he's doing another one tomorrow so maybe I'll catch that.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
The run was pretty poor; the highlight was him getting hit, for both the second time this month, and the second time since he started playing '06 in 2006 apparently, that he got hit by the falling lava in the scripted sequence, launching from the ramp going into the volcano in Flame Core.
Though in fairness he's still too good at this game, as he still managed to not die because of it.

(I should probably say, pretty poor by his own admission and what his individual story runs are like.)

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010

TheDarkFlame posted:

Pretty sure that most of the actual Sonic games timed you out if you spent ten minutes in one level. And to do that you'd either have to get stuck somewhere that you couldn't escape from, or be intentionally screwing around. And even then, you'd probably cover most of the map, kill all the enemies, loot practically all of the rings, and then get bored enough to finish the level anyway before that timer runs out.

The earlier 2D games have the time limit, but none of the 3D games have time limits, save for certain missions. That allowed them to pull poo poo like...

you were warned posted:

In Run Button's LP of Sonic Unleashed, some of the night stages took them 15-20 minutes. Eggmanland might've been even more than that. Granted, they never really have any idea what they're doing, but still...

This, but 15-20 minutes isn't that bad for a night stage. If you stay around and do EVERYTHING in a night mission (or HUNT FOR THOSE MEDALS REQUIRED FOR UNLOCKING STAGES) some stages can take over 40. IIRC from the Pokecapn LP, Eggmanland took over an hour on that level alone; It's brutal. That said, "half" the game is really, really good. And if you're looking for that sort of gameplay just do Colors and Generations.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Ramengank posted:

The earlier 2D games have the time limit, but none of the 3D games have time limits, save for certain missions. That allowed them to pull poo poo like...

This, but 15-20 minutes isn't that bad for a night stage. If you stay around and do EVERYTHING in a night mission (or HUNT FOR THOSE MEDALS REQUIRED FOR UNLOCKING STAGES) some stages can take over 40. IIRC from the Pokecapn LP, Eggmanland took over an hour on that level alone; It's brutal. That said, "half" the game is really, really good. And if you're looking for that sort of gameplay just do Colors and Generations.
Your other option is to get Generations for the PC and grab that hack that turns it into the daytime stages from Unleashed. I haven't tried it out, but it's supposedly coming on pretty well.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Kingdom Valley sucks, we hate it, we play it as Silver and commentate on it so you can watch it and hate it too. I think this video is funny and hope you will enjoy it.

Part 36 (Kingdom Valley is a Bad Level): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lM0phbs3gXE

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Paul.Power posted:

Your other option is to get Generations for the PC and grab that hack that turns it into the daytime stages from Unleashed. I haven't tried it out, but it's supposedly coming on pretty well.

There are some things missing from stages like the airship at the end of Rooftop Run (the one in Generations isn't suitable) and the chaser in Jungle Joyride (they use the GUN truck from City Escape instead), but as far as what has been done, it's really good.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

MassRafTer posted:

Kingdom Valley sucks, we hate it, we play it as Silver and commentate on it so you can watch it and hate it too. I think this video is funny and hope you will enjoy it.

Part 36 (Kingdom Valley is a Bad Level): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lM0phbs3gXE

Well... at least music is kind of nice?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Is it me or were there moments were Hulkamatt's voice was slowed down/hanging throughout the last few videos? Never for more than a second or so, but long enough to be uncomfortable.

In this last update there is an example 22 seconds in.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)

Ramengank posted:

I went back and looked, and yeah, it took them 1:07 on the clock. I think it took them multiple (long) episodes to actually beat it.

I've beaten Sonic 06, but I didn't play much of Unleashed. It wasn't good, but it wasn't terrible enough to be interesting. :geno: I demand the worst of the worst when it comes to video games!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Carbon dioxide posted:

Is it me or were there moments were Hulkamatt's voice was slowed down/hanging throughout the last few videos? Never for more than a second or so, but long enough to be uncomfortable.

In this last update there is an example 22 seconds in.

I didn't really notice anything that seemed like an audio issue there, just sounded like he didn't speak entirely clearly.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I have to play Aquatic Base a bunch to earn rings and buy gems so I recorded a run through that and the final boss with live commentary. If you want to hear me hating on the game and using plungers, here you go:

Bonus video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=438G8MTng38

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

This video is depressing.

Hey Knuckles. :smith:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Regy Rusty posted:

This video is depressing.

Hey Knuckles. :smith:

Don't worry about me friend, I'm OK.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Flame Core is a really lovely level. A really lovely level that managed to make me angry just watching a video of me playing it. (Hulkamatt is a little quiet at times but it's brief.)

Part 37 (Anger, Frustration, Joy): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BkWI503Vug

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

MassRafTer posted:

Flame Core is a really lovely level. A really lovely level that managed to make me angry just watching a video of me playing it. (Hulkamatt is a little quiet at times but it's brief.)

Part 37 (Anger, Frustration, Joy): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BkWI503Vug

The front view of that car looks like some kind of hyperfuture spool of thread.

Echo Cian
Jun 16, 2011

It's a jacket and leggings, MassRafTer, why are you being weird about anthropomorphic cat fashion sense?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

So is the plot here that Silver figured out from the past that Iblis must have some kind of extra power source that he could destroy? Because that thing was apparently just sitting there in the volcano the whole time...

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Ramengank posted:

unless you don't know that there's a run button there's no way a night level should take this long

also why would you scour the main levels for medals instead of just playing the much shorter bonus levels?

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
"Just as I expected! Iblis' power is... a giant rock with a silver medal of Soreana at the middle!" :confused:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

you were warned posted:

"Just as I expected! Iblis' power is... a giant rock with a silver medal of Soreana at the middle!" :confused:

Well yeah, I thought that was kind of obvious. The masterful writing has been foreshadowing it since Silver's first stage.

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President

Ramos posted:

Well yeah, I thought that was kind of obvious. The masterful writing has been foreshadowing it since Silver's first stage.

Don't you see? The medal was silver! Therefore, Silver was Iblis the whole time.

This game is so deep.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Echo Cian posted:

It's a jacket and leggings, MassRafTer, why are you being weird about anthropomorphic cat fashion sense?

I never noticed the leggings, and given how I work with fashion and makeup all the time I tend to make fun of goofy looking costuming/outfits in media. I take it you missed the time spent making fun of how Rouge looks?

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010
Okay that spring that launches you into bird droppings may be one of the best moments of this LP.

darealkooky posted:

unless you don't know that there's a run button there's no way a night level should take this long

also why would you scour the main levels for medals instead of just playing the much shorter bonus levels?

Well, the pokecapn playthrough wasn't the most skilled LP, in fact I'm pretty sure it was totally blind.
Yes, a more skilled player would complete the levels in much shorter time (pokecapn had bonus videos to that effect), but your first time through will almost certainly be a slog.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Sooo... the only reason Silver went into the past was in order to find out where Iblis hides his balls, but he wasn't even told that anyway...?

Echo Cian
Jun 16, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

I never noticed the leggings, and given how I work with fashion and makeup all the time I tend to make fun of goofy looking costuming/outfits in media. I take it you missed the time spent making fun of how Rouge looks?

Rouge does look ridiculous though.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Echo Cian posted:

Rouge does look ridiculous though.
Of course she does, she's a Sonic character.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
We've got the rings so now we can show off the Sky Gem! Let's see how we can glitch out the game including a certain beloved mission! Also watch me get stuck and have the purple gem cause Sonic to spaz out.

Bonus Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpobTgZG114

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I think my favourite thing about the sonic wiki came from when I was watching my brother slog through this game and we looked up what the gems did. The custom shoe description had "Functions: Gem slots, foot protection." :downs:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Perhaps if the devs had been given more time they could have made the gems not so glitchy, or at least make their interactions with the background not so glitchy (being able to fly and see the black void and water behind the buildings probably isn't intended.)

Plus i'm still curious how the gems would work with the juice meter if they worked properly, like how long would you be able to fly if it used energy? Could they possibly tie throw distance of the Sky Gem with how much juice you use?

Things we'll never find out.

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Perhaps if the devs had been given more time they could have made the gems not so glitchy, or at least make their interactions with the background not so glitchy (being able to fly and see the black void and water behind the buildings probably isn't intended.)

Plus i'm still curious how the gems would work with the juice meter if they worked properly, like how long would you be able to fly if it used energy? Could they possibly tie throw distance of the Sky Gem with how much juice you use?

Things we'll never find out.

I get the impression that the gems were merely debug tools that they officially put into the game at the last minute in order to supplement post-game content. But that's just me.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mr. Soop posted:

I get the impression that the gems were merely debug tools that they officially put into the game at the last minute in order to supplement post-game content. But that's just me.

Alberto Robert mentioning them in the first side mission makes me think they were supposed to be a bigger part of the game but they couldn't balance them so they just stuck em near the end. Otherwise it's weird they'd give you the tool to use the gems before the first level and then ignored until the end game. However, it is Sonic 06...

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Silver's dumb story is finally over. We battle Iblis, some dumb poo poo happens and the credits roll. Actually some really dumb poo poo happens and Silver proves what a doofus he really is.

Part 38 (Yoshi's Island 2006): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYA1ddcSYOs

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
Nah, fighting giant things on platforms is a pretty common game element. You're not trying to push him away, either. It's all scripted to just happen because that's the only boss fight they're capable of making.

On the other hand, I don't understand why you're throwing giant timbits/donut holes (your country's preference) at him.

edit: I'd probably advise against tapping the hover button when you only have a short distance to fly, since that makes you drop lower and it killed you once in this case. And I'm not sure I want to see the hilarity that is dying in the final Silver section(s) because you were a pixel lower than the platforms would allow.

On second thought, keep doing it.

Cheez fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Oct 27, 2014

Sramaker
Oct 31, 2012

by Cowcaster

MassRafTer posted:

Silver's dumb story is finally over. We battle Iblis, some dumb poo poo happens and the credits roll. Actually some really dumb poo poo happens and Silver proves what a doofus he really is.

Part 38 (Yoshi's Island 2006): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYA1ddcSYOs

Silver is still not the worst thing since we have Amy being ooc saying she would pick Sonic over the World which means if Sonic was to go evil she would stay with him.
Oh and Elise is worse than Silver since Silver has been in better games and better written than here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Cheez posted:

Nah, fighting giant things on platforms is a pretty common game element. You're not trying to push him away, either. It's all scripted to just happen because that's the only boss fight they're capable of making.

On the other hand, I don't understand why you're throwing giant timbits/donut holes (your country's preference) at him.

edit: I'd probably advise against tapping the hover button when you only have a short distance to fly, since that makes you drop lower and it killed you once in this case. And I'm not sure I want to see the hilarity that is dying in the final Silver section(s) because you were a pixel lower than the platforms would allow.

On second thought, keep doing it.

When I try to not use it I actually find myself loving it up more often than not. I'm just used to tapping it.

Sramaker posted:

Silver is still not the worst thing since we have Amy being ooc saying she would pick Sonic over the World which means if Sonic was to go evil she would stay with him.
Oh and Elise is worse than Silver since Silver has been in better games and better written than here.

It takes a lot of character to stay dedicated to Sonic after he's dedicated himself to the Princess. She's got serial killer potential.

• Locked thread