Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

nm posted:

Every single person I've talked to say Rivals get greasy on the track with anything heavier than a miata.

I track a Miata. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

FatCow posted:

I track a Miata. :v:

I track a front heavy wagon with front struts that get -1.5 degrees on a good day.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Road America Chump Car race was this weekend. 80 cars started on a cold (~45f) damp track. We were running good until I decided to fix our lap timer while cruising down the 4-5 straight. Veered off track into wet grass and that was the end of it.

Enjoy my gently caress up - http://youtu.be/EyIAZTOCCA4

We'll toss it on a lift tonight and see how bad the damage is. We're looking at building up a coupe over the winter, this one's been beat to poo poo and we've gutted everything we can but are heavier that the sedan/coupes.

Not how we wanted to end the season but everyone is ok and we'll be back next season.

parid
Mar 18, 2004
Condolences. I worry about all the gadgets I put in our car doing something similar. Its always been in my plans to have vnc running and letting the pits troubleshoot any issues. Keep the driver out of the trouble.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Yikes! Glad you're OK, nitrospazz.

parid - if that relies on having a good connection to the pits I think you'd be hosed at Road America without a gigantic antenna.

I wasn't able to make the WRL race at Hallett this weekend but the rest of the team did, and despite some problems in yesterday's race the Golf actually held itself together today and we got 3rd place in GP2!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

drgitlin posted:

Yikes! Glad you're OK, nitrospazz.

parid - if that relies on having a good connection to the pits I think you'd be hosed at Road America without a gigantic antenna.

It was one hell of a ride but honestly pretty drat gentle for what it was. Could have ended up a lot worse, I'm just happy I didn't take any one else out with my mistake.

As far as reception we went from low power rental radios to a high powered base station and we had great connection all around the track. Handheld radios are ~5W, base station (in car and in trailer) at 45W.

parid
Mar 18, 2004
We run verizon for telemetry and its worked great so far. We race only on he west coast. ORP is the only track we really have to worry about cell coverage.

We have a similar set for radios. 5w for hand helds, and a 35watt in the car and at the pits. Never have an issue ( other than mics falling out of helmets ).

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
What radios are you guys using?

parid
Mar 18, 2004
Whatever I can get my hands on. A couple Motorolas, a Kenwood, and a couple Baofengs. Real radios are worth it but so very expensive.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
How about a great trackday video of what we all imagine GT-R drivers are like:

http://vimeo.com/109257775

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

Considering it's in like boring mode, that thing is ballistic fast :stare:

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

BraveUlysses posted:

I'm legit impressed at how well 2 tons of Nissan can hunk itself around.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Octopus Magic posted:

I'm legit impressed at how well 2 tons of Nissan can hunk itself around.

while driven by a retard

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

BraveUlysses posted:

loving hell what a oval office and what a poo poo TDO for letting him continue. I love how he just pootles around the corners and then just does the billy big bollocks down the straights and into the apex. I'm suprised nobody complained about him constantly overtaking under braking into corners like that.

Edit: wait it was in full auto mode?

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

BraveUlysses posted:

while driven by a retard

Does it have a drunk driving mode also because it just saved his rear end so much.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

Other than being a sophisticated piece of engineering, I don't know much about the controls in a GT-R... What is he constantly adjusting? Was he actually changing what mode the car is in? Or fidgeting with in the passenger seat, for that matter.

I was only able to do my first-ever Paced event this year, wasn't able to get the time off to do a "proper" track day and admittedly I had a little trouble keeping both hands on the wheel due to the very leisurely pace but the moment I watched the footage I recorded I was like "Holy poo poo I need to stop that". This guy though :stare:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

There's a shitload of various G-meters / performance meters / other useless poo poo that someone who is that bad at driving has no business even knowing about, and someone who is actually qualified to flog a GT-R at full speed wouldn't even dream of looking at while driving.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
If you want to read the internet slapfight about it go here

I dont think i'll be booking with MSV anytime soon, oh well. Much prefer how opentrack or javelin run their days anyway.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

He crashed into a mp412c as well lol. What a chode.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

It was one hell of a ride but honestly pretty drat gentle for what it was. Could have ended up a lot worse, I'm just happy I didn't take any one else out with my mistake.

As far as reception we went from low power rental radios to a high powered base station and we had great connection all around the track. Handheld radios are ~5W, base station (in car and in trailer) at 45W.

That could have been a lot worse. Glad you are ok!
Were you guys "Lowered Expectations" ? I recognized that as a goon name.
I was crew chief for #378 Low Farm Racing (near bone stock blue '86 Mr2)

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

extreme_accordion posted:

That could have been a lot worse. Glad you are ok!
Were you guys "Lowered Expectations" ? I recognized that as a goon name.
I was crew chief for #378 Low Farm Racing (near bone stock blue '86 Mr2)
Na we're Missing Link Motorsports #86 the red E30 convertible that looks like an ugly pickup truck. It could have ended a LOT worse, wet grass might have been to my advantage in this case. I'm going to try to convince them to let me plastidip the coupe we build this winter some bright obnoxious color, possibly change it between races.

Here's some laps where I don't crash - http://youtu.be/vyggoiIGzb4

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Oct 21, 2014

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I read the thread as and got my question answered.

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Oct 22, 2014

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

NitroSpazzz posted:

Na we're Missing Link Motorsports #86 the red E30 convertible that looks like an ugly pickup truck. It could have ended a LOT worse, wet grass might have been to my advantage in this case. I'm going to try to convince them to let me plastidip the coupe we build this winter some bright obnoxious color, possibly change it between races.

Here's some laps where I don't crash - http://youtu.be/vyggoiIGzb4

I like the clown in the rear view at 13:20.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Some of the Sheep posted:

What I've learned from iRacing is that if you find yourself suddenly catching up to the field very quickly, you've already hosed up.

SpaceRangerJoe
Dec 24, 2003

The little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
This weekend will be the first time I get my 95' M3 out on the track. I've been working on it for months, and it's finally ready (enough) to go. Here's hoping nothing breaks on it!

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm going to Cayuga this weekend. Should be a good time.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

Some of the Sheep posted:

That's at the carousel.
The explanation I heard from our council and vscda drivers was this: on it, and have to lift, you're hosed because the forces on the car will pull you out or spin you. 3rd gear and 30-50% throttle.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

extreme_accordion posted:

That's at the carousel.
The explanation I heard from our council and vscda drivers was this: on it, and have to lift, you're hosed because the forces on the car will pull you out or spin you. 3rd gear and 30-50% throttle.

Pretty much, carousel is a terrible spot to have to lift or make big adjustments. I drive it fairly aggressive (4th, ~50-75% throttle) because it's an easy place to pass people but if you make a sudden change you will be sliding off just a question of which end first. It's really interesting when the track is just drying with one 'safe' dry line and the rest of the track damp.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I am doing a track day (timed) and want some advice on if I should fit new tyres.

I have Kumho KU31s that have about 1-2mm before they are on the wear markers on the camber worn sides. They are about 21 months since fitted (and were bought new)

I am wondering if I am better off leaving these on and using whats left of them or fitting new Tyres before I go. New tyres will be either another set of Kumho KU31s or Nitto Invo NT05s. They cost roughly the same though I have heard the Nittos are a better tyre.

Currently can spin the rears at the top of first from a normal take off, and I am getting the car tuned this week with more power so Im guessing it will also be much easier to do that.

Car is my daily driver, but will probably see more track days in the future now that it is prepped to handle them.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

Laserface posted:

I am doing a track day (timed) and want some advice on if I should fit new tyres.

If you have to ask, it's probably time for a new set; don't compromise safety, unless you plan on driving like grandma.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Safety? I just want to cut sweet times.

Though I think that if I did get new tyres they might not break in properly before hand.

SpaceRangerJoe
Dec 24, 2003

The little hand says it's time to rock and roll.

SpaceRangerJoe posted:

This weekend will be the first time I get my 95' M3 out on the track. I've been working on it for months, and it's finally ready (enough) to go. Here's hoping nothing breaks on it!

No such luck on not breaking anything. I fought heat issues all weekend. It sounds like the throw out bearing is on the way out, and the car lost power on Sunday morning. No compression on cyl 1 and 2. Hopefully it's just a head gasket, but who knows.

Once I get all these issue sorted out, the car will be great though. It seems very well balanced and was very fast.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Finally had some time to get the car on the lift and look over the damage. New plan is replace the bad sheet metal, replace wrecked poo poo and race the car next season. Only reason we're bothering with the body work is because we're going to be doing more WRL races and we feel they'd prefer the cars to not look like poo poo. There's a good chance all passenger bodywork will end up on my garage wall.

Rear passenger wheel, ground down a bit

Front drivers tire with a nice flat spot. Well reverse it on the wheel and run it. Other three looked good.

See that dent in the passenger side frame? That's from the engine moving 3+ inches and smashing into it. Motor mounts look fine but will be replace.

Passenger trailing arm mounting point, both are bent like this. Also notice what looks like subframe damage/bend, we'll replace the whole rear subframe.

Passenger door is hosed. Lock cylinder was found in the drivers door. Sheet metal is completely ground through in a few spots.

Hood weld snapped, this explains why the hood was crooked and hard to latch. We'll tack it back in place and call it good.

Door damage. I'll be hanging the door on my garage wall.

Front passenger wheel is forward a few inches, rubs on front air dam.

Part 1 of why it rubs, bent tie rod. Also notice the cracked wheel that is still holding pressure.

Cracked wheel (passenger front)

Part 2 of why that tire rubs. Control arm is pretty deformed.

Passenger half shaft CV joint is mostly disintegrated. Rubber is containing the mess, I look forward to opening it up.

A little body damage, also gas cap got ground down a bit.

Less damage than we expected and will be pretty easy and cheap to fix. Decided throwing several grand at building a new car when ours is competitive and easily fixed is stupid. The E30 vert/ute will live on to race another season. I will avoid racing when sick.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

hmm, Watkins Glen is being repaved next year? Cool

http://www.theglen.com/Articles/2014/11/11052014.aspx

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Sab669 posted:

hmm, Watkins Glen is being repaved next year? Cool

http://www.theglen.com/Articles/2014/11/11052014.aspx

We heard about this at the last NASA day at NJMP, their concern was that we wouldn't be able to get on track next year if they couldn't schedule the track day in time, but if it means driving on a practically brand new surface in two years I'm willing to wait!

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
So i've booked up for one final day this year at Brands Hatch indy in early December. Its either going to be wet, cold, or a combination of the two. Will be meeting with a friend whos bringing his stripped out mr2 that hes running in the sprint series, cant wait!

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

track day bro! posted:

So i've booked up for one final day this year at Brands Hatch indy in early December. Its either going to be wet, cold, or a combination of the two. Will be meeting with a friend whos bringing his stripped out mr2 that hes running in the sprint series, cant wait!

On the 5th? I might come along and do it on RSRs and die ftw.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Bape Culture posted:

On the 5th? I might come along and do it on RSRs and die ftw.

On the 8th with msv.
http://www.msvtrackdays.com/car/calendar/2014/dec/8-bh-gen.aspx

I'm still running horrible T1-Rs at the moment because i've barely driven the car apart from the other trackdays.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
I don't see the Lemons/Chump thread.. Anyone here going to the Sonoma Lemons race in December?

Gonna be there in the GoPro E28 again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

aventari posted:

I don't see the Lemons/Chump thread.. Anyone here going to the Sonoma Lemons race in December?

Gonna be there in the GoPro E28 again!

We got wait listed but are signed up for the bonus race in January. It'll be the return of the Knight Industries two thousand and four honda prelude VTEC (KITTAFHPV) after a frustrating first go at the 5 mile thill event in sept. A leaky head gasket caused chronic overheating day 1 and replacement took all the way until the last hour of the race. Fortunately once we got that taken care of the car was awesome to drive and fast. I managed a 4:08 during the 25 minutes I was on track. Looking forward to wringing it out on track at Sonoma.