Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

a dozen swans posted:

people who aren't nerds play poker and poker isn't Dumb Nerd poo poo

Bullshit on this. Poker has far more social cachet than magic, and more money is on the line, but it doesn't make it any less a dumb game where people rear end deep in chairs care WAY to much about cardboard with designs on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

a dozen swans posted:

Obviously we tell those people that he cheated at WIZARD poker.

That way they're half on our side!

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Madmarker posted:

Bullshit on this. Poker has far more social cachet than magic, and more money is on the line, but it doesn't make it any less a dumb game where people rear end deep in chairs care WAY to much about cardboard with designs on it.

Poker also involves way more math than magic does.

It's way easier to calculate odds of your opponent top decking a card for pack rat than, well, okay that's a bad example. But more to the point I think there's way more heuristics that can be applied to magic than poker at any step, which makes poker more abstract in analysis than magic is.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Oct 22, 2014

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Zoness posted:

Poker also involves way more math than magic does.

Fair enough, its still dumb nerd poo poo.

Its just popular nerd poo poo.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

a dozen swans posted:

It's not necessarily fair. I just think some employers would take it less seriously.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Madmarker posted:

Hence my statement it's a logistical nightmare. I have no better idea for the current system that Starcity is employing and have no idea how to resolve it equitably for all parties involved, and will agree that Starcity's current method of donating the prize money is a fair compromise between the ideal and reality. However I really feel there needs to be some sort of compensation for the person who got there and lost thanks to a cheater.

But even then, what about the people that he knocked out of top 8 before that? And then what about the person that he knocked out of a win-and-in for top 8? Or the people that he knocked out of contention in the rounds before that? The fact that it wasn't just the final round being changed means that the results of the tournament could have been wildly different if he wasn't involved. There's no way to fix it that's going to be fair for everyone, or even most people.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Death Bot posted:

But even then, what about the people that he knocked out of top 8 before that? And then what about the person that he knocked out of a win-and-in for top 8? Or the people that he knocked out of contention in the rounds before that? The fact that it wasn't just the final round being changed means that the results of the tournament could have been wildly different if he wasn't involved. There's no way to fix it that's going to be fair for everyone, or even most people.

I wish there was some for them as well. It was an emotional statement, not a prescriptive one. I apologize if I made it seem like the latter, hence why I said in response to Zone's statement:

Madmarker posted:

I have no better idea for the current system that Starcity is employing and have no idea how to resolve it equitably for all parties involved, and will agree that Starcity's current method of donating the prize money is a fair compromise between the ideal and reality.

Poorly written, I admit, but its a statement of what I WANT, not what I think is tenable.

xeose4
Sep 22, 2014

That is absolutely awesome, thanks for linking those. I definitely remember Kismet and Stasis, and vaguely Necropotence. Man, looking at those decks brings memories. Swords to Plowshares! What a blast from the past. I remember everyone loving that spell, though back then we didn't have the exile mechanic.

So, I've been looking at the Innistrad block in gatherer, and I was wondering if a B/R vampire/werewolf deck was viable. They seem to have synergy in the form of +X/+X boosting (Rakish Heir, for example, if you find a way to make him hexproof and unblockable) and the transform mechanic is pretty neat. Is it possible to get a deck from that block with your gimmick being "vampires and werewolves that get lots of +X/+X counters"?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Oh man trevor humphries has been such a big deal that people may have overlooked some more juicy cheating from Bertoncheaty! I mean, everyone else has to exile 7 cards to ancestral but not this guy

http://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/2jx8gu/alex_bertoncini_may_have_also_cheated_at_scg/

:allears:

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

xeose4 posted:

That is absolutely awesome, thanks for linking those. I definitely remember Kismet and Stasis, and vaguely Necropotence. Man, looking at those decks brings memories. Swords to Plowshares! What a blast from the past. I remember everyone loving that spell, though back then we didn't have the exile mechanic.

So, I've been looking at the Innistrad block in gatherer, and I was wondering if a B/R vampire/werewolf deck was viable. They seem to have synergy in the form of +X/+X boosting (Rakish Heir, for example, if you find a way to make him hexproof and unblockable) and the transform mechanic is pretty neat. Is it possible to get a deck from that block with your gimmick being "vampires and werewolves that get lots of +X/+X counters"?

B/R vampires existed, but were nowhere near as good as zombies in the aggro category, mostly thanks to geralf's messenger being awesome. Here's a list:

Creatures (27)

4 Diregraf Captain
4 Diregraf Ghoul
3 Fume Spitter
4 Geralf's Messenger
4 Gravecrawler
4 Phantasmal Image
4 Skirsdag High Priest
Planeswalkers (2)

2 Liliana of the Veil
Lands (20)

12 Swamp
4 Darkslick Shores
4 Drowned Catacomb
Spells (11)

3 Mortarpod
4 Geth's Verdict
4 Tragic Slip
Sideboard

3 Porcelain Legionnaire
4 Surgical Extraction
4 Vapor Snag
4 Corrosive Gale

However the real winner of Innistraad, for as long as Scars block was legal, had to be delver:

4 Delver of Secrets
4 Geist of Saint Traft
3 Restoration Angel
4 Snapcaster Mage
Creatures [15]
4 Gitaxian Probe
3 Gut Shot
3 Mana Leak
1 Mutagenic Growth
4 Ponder
3 Runechanter's Pike
4 Thought Scour
4 Vapor Snag
Spells [26]
4 Glacial Fortress
8 Island (233)
2 Moorland Haunt
1 Plains (230)
4 Seachrome Coast

SIDEBOARD
3 Celestial Purge
1 Dissipate
1 Gut Shot
1 Mana Leak
2 Mental Misstep
1 Mutagenic Growth
2 Phantasmal Image
1 Spectral Flight
1 Sword of War and Peace
2 Timely Reinforcements

However, when Scars rotated out, delver really became lackluster, and a whole bunch of decks jumped into the scene, but probably the most ubiquitous were decks that abused Restoration Angel and Thragtusk:

Creatures (23)

4 Angel of Serenity
3 Arbor Elf
4 Avacyn's Pilgrim
2 Borderland Ranger
1 Centaur Healer
1 Deathrite Shaman
4 Restoration Angel
4 Thragtusk
Lands (23)

5 Forest
2 Plains
1 Swamp
1 Gavony Township
4 Overgrown Tomb
3 Sunpetal Grove
4 Temple Garden
1 Vault of the Archangel
2 Woodland Cemetery
Spells (14)

4 Grisly Salvage
2 Lingering Souls
4 Mulch
4 Unburial Rites
Sideboard

2 Centaur Healer
2 Deathrite Shaman
2 Oblivion Ring
2 Abrupt Decay
2 Garruk, Primal Hunter
2 Divine Reckoning
2 Duress
1 Sever the Bloodline

The above is a rather poor list, and most also threw in Acidic Slime to Stone Rain the opponent out. However, probably the coolest deck to come out of this era of standard was Aristocrats:

Junk Aristocrats
4 Blood Artist
4 Cartel Aristocrat
4 Doomed Traveler
3 Skirsdag High Priest
3 Varolz, the Scar-Striped
4 Voice of Resurgence
2 Young Wolf
Creatures [24]
3 Sorin, Lord of Innistrad
Planeswalkers [3]
4 Lingering Souls
4 Tragic Slip
Spells [8]
2 Gavony Township
4 Godless Shrine
4 Isolated Chapel
4 Overgrown Tomb
2 Sunpetal Grove
1 Swamp (260)
4 Temple Garden
4 Woodland Cemetery
Lands [25]
SIDEBOARD
2 Abrupt Decay
1 Appetite for Brains
4 Deathrite Shaman
2 Garruk Relentless
3 Sin Collector
3 Unflinching Courage

RWB Aristocrats

4 Blood Crypt
1 Cavern of Souls
2 Clifftop Retreat
4 Dragonskull Summit
4 Godless Shrine
4 Isolated Chapel
1 Plains
4 Sacred Foundry
24 lands

4 Blood Artist
4 Boros Reckoner
4 Cartel Aristocrat
4 Doomed Traveler
4 Falkenrath Aristocrat
2 Obzedat, Ghost Council
22 creatures

3 Blasphemous Act
4 Lingering Souls
4 Tragic Slip
11 other spells

3 Sorin, Lord of Innistrad
3 planeswalkers

Sideboard
2 Assemble the Legion
1 Blasphemous Act
2 Glaring Spotlight
2 Liliana of the Veil
3 Mark of Mutiny
1 Obzedat, Ghost Council
1 Olivia Voldaren
2 Pillar of Flame
1 Thundermaw Hellkite

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 22, 2014

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Zoness posted:

Oh man trevor humphries has been such a big deal that people may have overlooked some more juicy cheating from Bertoncheaty! I mean, everyone else has to exile 7 cards to ancestral but not this guy

http://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/2jx8gu/alex_bertoncini_may_have_also_cheated_at_scg/

:allears:

I had fun exploring this link.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Vital Signs posted:

I had fun exploring this link.

I really hate this guy, if I ever play him I am going to call a judge and see if I can have him observe the match.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

xeose4 posted:

The exile mechanic is actually just a new name for the same old "removed from the game" mechanic. The problem was that cards which are "removed from the game" are not actually removed from the game (they're in a different zone of the game you typically can't interact with), so they renamed where they go as the "exile zone."

(Speaking of "removed from the game," I actually ran into a player who failed to regenerate a Rakshasa Deathdealer because he assumed that Anger of the Gods worked the same way Disintegrate does. The regeneration prevention is specific to Disintegrate.)

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Oct 22, 2014

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Angry Grimace posted:

The exile mechanic is actually just a new name for the same old "removed from the game" mechanic. The problem was that cards which are "removed from the game" are not actually removed from the game (they're in a different zone of the game you typically can't interact with), so they renamed where they go as the "exile zone."

(Speaking of "removed from the game," I actually ran into a player who failed to regenerate a Rakshasa Deathdealer because he assumed that Anger of the Gods worked the same way Disintegrate does. The regeneration prevention is specific to Disintegrate.)

I've had people do this with Pillar of Flame during Innistrad Standard too, it's pretty bad how people don't read.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Angry Grimace posted:

Annoyingly enough, I tried to regenerate my Will-O'-Wisp through a Disintegrate in Shandalar the other day because I'm used to Anger. :negative:

Wait, why wouldn't he just pump the Rakshasa?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Count Bleck posted:

I've had people do this with Pillar of Flame during Innistrad Standard too, it's pretty bad how people don't read.

I don't think it's a reading comprehension failure so much as it is not understanding how Regeneration works.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
gently caress these changes to MTGO.

Good idea: It's hard to target things in graveyards, let's make it so you can pop out the graveyard and make it bigger!

How they executed it: Let's HIDE the graveyard for no reason, leaving the space where it used to be blank, but have annoying notifications pop up any time any card is placed into a graveyard (like casting an Instant). You can click on an icon to make the graveyard appear, and you can even resize the window....but the cards remain exactly the same size, defeating the entire point.

Bonus idiocy: If you have a Bloodsoaked Champion (or I presume anything else with an activated ability that can be used) in the graveyard, any triggered ability causes your graveyard to pop back out, even if you deliberately closed it.

I could even live with most of this if they had just left the graveyard where it was so you could keep an eye on it without taking up space on the battlefield. Especially in Legacy, you really need to keep an eye on both graveyards at all times. I don't understand why they hid it and then just left this huge blank space where it was....

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

suicidesteve posted:

Annoyingly enough, I tried to regenerate my Will-O'-Wisp through a Disintegrate in Shandalar the other day because I'm used to Anger. :negative:

Wait, why wouldn't he just pump the Rakshasa?

My recollection was that this was after combat with a Goblin Rabblemaster token, I don't remember the exact scenario.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

gently caress these changes to MTGO.

Good idea: It's hard to target things in graveyards, let's make it so you can pop out the graveyard and make it bigger!

How they executed it: Let's HIDE the graveyard for no reason, leaving the space where it used to be blank, but have annoying notifications pop up any time any card is placed into a graveyard (like casting an Instant). You can click on an icon to make the graveyard appear, and you can even resize the window....but the cards remain exactly the same size, defeating the entire point.

Bonus idiocy: If you have a Bloodsoaked Champion (or I presume anything else with an activated ability that can be used) in the graveyard, any triggered ability causes your graveyard to pop back out, even if you deliberately closed it.

I could even live with most of this if they had just left the graveyard where it was so you could keep an eye on it without taking up space on the battlefield. Especially in Legacy, you really need to keep an eye on both graveyards at all times. I don't understand why they hid it and then just left this huge blank space where it was....

I'm downloading the update now, but usually MTGO's weird window set up is actually much better if you have a dual-monitor setup since you just move all the added windows somewhere else.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 22, 2014

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm downloading the update now, but usually MTGO's weird window set up is actually much better if you have a dual-monitor setup since you just move all the added windows somewhere else.

That's SLIGHTLY better; it used to be that things like the opponent's library (revealed with Courser or something) couldn't be moved off the battlefield. These CAN, it's just that I'm usually streaming Netflix or doing work on my other monitor.

I wonder if they fixed this other glitch I've reported a lot: If the top of their library is revealed and they draw more than a single card, you SHOULD see every card drawn, but MTGO just skips over them. Also if the game ends with that still revealed it hangs around for your next round.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I wonder if they fixed this other glitch I've reported a lot: If the top of their library is revealed and they draw more than a single card, you SHOULD see every card drawn, but MTGO just skips over them. Also if the game ends with that still revealed it hangs around for your next round.

Pretty sure they fixed the latter. I never noticed the problem with not revealing all the draws. Do they show up in the chat log or revealed area at all? The funniest thing I remember seeing with this was in Caleb Durward's most recent video, his opponent concedes while using Top and the cards he was looking at with Top are revealed to Caleb for his entire next game.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

BaronVonVaderham posted:

That's SLIGHTLY better; it used to be that things like the opponent's library (revealed with Courser or something) couldn't be moved off the battlefield. These CAN, it's just that I'm usually streaming Netflix or doing work on my other monitor.

The biggest problem with MTGO's actual interface is that by default, a lot of poo poo is setup in a way that makes no goddamn sense. I mean, you can just resize the GY and other zones in a way that's useful, but there's no reason its nonsensical by default.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Angry Grimace posted:

The biggest problem with MTGO's actual interface is that by default, a lot of poo poo is setup in a way that makes no goddamn sense. I mean, you can just resize the GY and other zones in a way that's useful, but there's no reason its nonsensical by default.

This is true. Even for things that DO work, you usually have to tweak stuff to set it up right, the defaults make no sense.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

The other big problem is the program's inability to just loving remember where you set poo poo and leave it there.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

suicidesteve posted:

A. That's super scummy.
B. They won't reimburse you if you keep filing for the same thing.

I know this is a ways back but Ari Lax?? or another pro abused the absolute poo poo out of the reimbursement policy during RTR because Skull Rend was broken, going infinite by always drafting it and filing for compensation the entire time it was bugged.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

rabidsquid posted:

I know this is a ways back but Ari Lax?? or another pro abused the absolute poo poo out of the reimbursement policy during RTR because Skull Rend was broken, going infinite by always drafting it and filing for compensation the entire time it was bugged.

Well when you're famous and whine about something, it'll get a much better response than us nobodies. See: Bryan Kibler.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

The new graveyard popout doesn't seem to bad to me. You can make it just like before but with less real-estate taken up by the Exile and other zones that used to be on the right side. That said, I don't know why it doesn't just save your settings for each window. It also needs to give you some kind of meaningful option to change the display size of the cards in those windows, otherwise moving it around or sizing it is irrelevant.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

rabidsquid posted:

What was the Skull Rend bug?

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos
One good thing is that, at least for me, start up time is much better on the new Magic Online build.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

neetengie posted:

What was the Skull Rend bug?

It only caused a discard one instead of discard two.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Applebees posted:

One good thing is that, at least for me, start up time is much better on the new Magic Online build.

Its running a little faster for me too. I guess yay for running marginally less slow.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
I posted a big long thing about what I think the rest of the Tarkir block's gonna look like:

http://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/2k0geo/predictions_for_the_rest_of_the_khans_block_set/

There's a lot of discussion going on in the comments there or i'd just copy-past my original post here.

also

quote:

WotC usually takes around 3 years from when they start working on sets to when they're released. This block was in full design and development RIGHT AFTER SKYRIM WAS RELEASED IN 2011.

Sarkhan is the Dragonborn, Ugin is Paarthurnax, Bolas as Alduin.

Ugin(Paarthurnax) gave the non-dragon races Morph magic and Ghostfire (Dragon Shouts, the Thu'um) to help them survive.

(THERE'S EVEN TIME TRAVEL)

Pyronic fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 23, 2014

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

rabidsquid posted:

It only caused a discard one instead of discard two.

Hah!
I mean, I understand when there are weird side-effects to an oddly-programmed card like when you gain control of an opponent's permanent and the client won't let you control triggers from that permanent or something.
But this. The card is so blatantly simple.
When you program the card, aren't you like "Ok, let's test this sucker?" Honestly, I shouldn't be surprised.
:ughh:

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I will completely admit to drafting Spin Into Myth when it was bugged on purpose in order to file for reimbursement every time when I was younger. I feel pretty scummy about it now, but I was real bad at drafting and that let me do it the most at the time.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Madmarker posted:

B/R vampires existed, but were nowhere near as good as zombies in the aggro category, mostly thanks to geralf's messenger being awesome. Here's a list:

Creatures (27)

4 Diregraf Captain
4 Diregraf Ghoul
3 Fume Spitter
4 Geralf's Messenger
4 Gravecrawler
4 Phantasmal Image
4 Skirsdag High Priest
Planeswalkers (2)

2 Liliana of the Veil
Lands (20)

12 Swamp
4 Darkslick Shores
4 Drowned Catacomb
Spells (11)

3 Mortarpod
4 Geth's Verdict
4 Tragic Slip
Sideboard

3 Porcelain Legionnaire
4 Surgical Extraction
4 Vapor Snag
4 Corrosive Gale

Maybe it's not the best thread for this, but a guy at my LGS runs a list very close to this at Modern events and it is super good (and annoying). I haven't seen LotV, High Priest, or Fume Spitter in his list but I have seen Thoughseize, Phyrexian Obliterator, and Cavern of Souls. He told me it's a SOM/INN Standard list outside of Thoughtseize, Counterflux and some SB stuff, and it is a bitch to beat.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

I love Gravecrawler -- that lil' bastard put some work in throughout Innistrad block. Bloodsoaked Champion reminds me alot of him. Keep on crawling, little dude!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Can someone walk me through the finer points of Abzan Midrange and Jeskai Tempo? I have an upcoming 5k and I need to put both of them together.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Dungeon Ecology posted:

I love Gravecrawler -- that lil' bastard put some work in throughout Innistrad block. Bloodsoaked Champion reminds me alot of him. Keep on crawling, little dude!

I think that the two are actually comparably good, which is really saying something. Bloodsoaked Champion puts a lot fewer deckbuilding restrictions on you, but Gravecrawler has more tribal support and comes back for cheaper. I think that Bloodsoaked Champion being able to return at instant speed and as an activated ability rather than a cast spell will almost never matter outside of weird Chalice of the Void shenanigans, but there's something to be said for his ability to trigger his own ability (attack with him, he gets blocked and dies, brings himself back).

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

rabidsquid posted:

I feel like this is slightly different. In this case you are asking for reimbursement and 'punishing' wizards for their crappy coding. In the case of the other bug you are exploiting an unintended advantage over other players and punishing those players for wizards mistake.

Both are scummy though.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa
From a brief couple of matches, the client performs worse for me than it did previously (animation is visually laggy), and those zone notifications are incredibly obtrusive. Despite what they said, it still does not ever remember where you put windows or where you resized them, and they managed to reduce vertical space in the one area of the screen that lacks vertical space, by the player names (whilst giving horizontal space, which there was plenty of).

And blue icons for everything, because gold suited the colour scheme too much? Hmm. Yeah, not impressed, hope they get moaned at enough to revert some of this stuff. Just seems like the standard developer UXE fiddling for the sake of fiddling.

Harmonica fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Oct 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
Spergy rant: Something that really bugs me about Khans is how they insisted on making a new creature type, Naga, for the snake people instead of just saying they're snakes like every other time Magic has had snake people, but all the Ainoks are hounds. Come on, Wizards, at least be consistent!

• Locked thread