Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

Lurchington posted:

I finished up work on a month long cube project that was built around crated an environment where the shard/wedge charms are actually worth prioritizing. I feel ok making a crosspost to a different forum because the thread has a poo poo ton of writeup a and example decks:
http://riptidelab.com/forum/threads/charm-cube-shards-wedges.675/#post-26503

Also up at cubetutor if you want a test draft: http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/161

Sadistic Hypnotist would be pretty righteous in your black section.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon
I'll admit I still had blinders on to that guy thanks to how unfun I find it in commander, but I could definitely see it.

I've been super suspicious about cards that require more than one mana of a single color if they aren't a great topdeck, and I don't usually consider discard a great topdeck when people are living off their deck, but it's something to keep in mind.

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

Lurchington posted:

I'll admit I still had blinders on to that guy thanks to how unfun I find it in commander, but I could definitely see it.

I've been super suspicious about cards that require more than one mana of a single color if they aren't a great topdeck, and I don't usually consider discard a great topdeck when people are living off their deck, but it's something to keep in mind.

I mean there are arguments to be made a million different ways about a lot of cards in a cube. I run the guy in my power cube because I have x y z recursion-interactions and he's just a big favorite of mine. But you're right in that double casting cost is probably more prohibitive in a wedge cube.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Hey cube thread, my buddy is planning to build a cube for us to draft with. I've played magic on and off for years but am pretty unfamiliar with recent sets and have never built a cube, so I thought I might post it here and see if any of you had criticisms or ways to make it better before he spends a bunch of cash on it?

http://cubetutor.com/viewcube/18256

I think he's pretty set on it having a heavy 2/3 colour element and some tribal synergy in each colour. He wants to keep it in Modern Block.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Bubble-T posted:

Hey cube thread, my buddy is planning to build a cube for us to draft with. I've played magic on and off for years but am pretty unfamiliar with recent sets and have never built a cube, so I thought I might post it here and see if any of you had criticisms or ways to make it better before he spends a bunch of cash on it?

http://cubetutor.com/viewcube/18256

I think he's pretty set on it having a heavy 2/3 colour element and some tribal synergy in each colour. He wants to keep it in Modern Block.

I don't like the disparity in card quality. Having drafted a bit of SSE there's cards that were strong specifically in that format but don't really work when drafted outside of it, and I feel like the duos in particular fall into this camp. The high availability of hybrids with non-hybrids makes signaling look like a nightmare. Particularly not a fan of all the lieges since they probably make picking colors a nightmare and aren't similarly strong in power level and/or outright unplayable cards that only really seem to exist to spike up cards like Master of Waves.

Also I get that there's a merfolk theme but there's something wrong if Wanderwine Prophets is playable, because I'm pretty sure it was not playable in LLM or LLL draft.

But yeah mostly the power level of some of these cards is mad questionable. It's cool if they play well I guess but I wouldn't ever be happy to pick up a spitebellows, for example.
ChewyLSB has a pretty cool modern -FRAME- cube (because he's a meth addict who loves the modern frame) that could be a good starting point if you want a cube of modern cards, and i think the cubetutor site has other cubes with that stipulation.

But yeah I like the idea and synergy and LLM and SSE were two of my favorite draft formats, but I fire up cubetutor and I see this pack:

Transguild Courier
Infest
Merciless Eviction
Cenn's Tactician
Moonglove Changeling
Sootstoke Kindler
Flamekin Harbinger
Adaptive Automaton
Cracklebuff
Runed Stalactite
Cairn Wanderer
Mirrorweave
Corrosive Mentor
Trostani's Summoner
Frogtosser Banneret

None of these are like, cards I would be excited first picking in a cube, especially when Cryptic Command is in the same cube, the creatures aren't particularly efficient bodies and the removal is overcosted.

(the pick is probably merciless eviction)

I mean, here's where it gets complicated, maybe the lackluster individual cards support more strategic depth and that's the goal, that's fine, but then cards like Cryptic Command really feel out of place.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Oct 21, 2014

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Thanks for that, I've passed it on. I'd already had him make a few changes (blue was even less exciting outside of "draft all the merfolk" before!) but that'll give him some more food for thought.

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

Ask me about zoning laws in videogames
I've found that trying to make a tribal cube is a trap. It's definitely possible but the picks become brainless once you know which tribe you are, and deckbuilding is pretty boring too.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Zoness posted:

I mean, here's where it gets complicated, maybe the lackluster individual cards support more strategic depth and that's the goal, that's fine, but then cards like Cryptic Command really feel out of place.

This is how I approach it. I'm trying to support a little more synergy-based play in my Modern Peasant cube, which has meant cutting some cards that are too powerful on their own if they don't support the strategies I want to support. For instance, Cloudgoat Ranger is a staple since I want both tokens and flicker to be available. But I cut Mind Control since, while being a fantastic card, it doesn't do anything particularly interesting and is just way above the power level of most other cards in the cube.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

KasaiAisu posted:

I've found that trying to make a tribal cube is a trap. It's definitely possible but the picks become brainless once you know which tribe you are, and deckbuilding is pretty boring too.

I think it might be possible to make an interesting tribal cube, but you'd have to have something like 10-12 tribes straddling different colours with as many creatures with two relevant types as possible, and are good enough on their own that other drafters might want them anyway. Whether or not there are enough creatures like that (Fauna Shaman? Snapcaster Mage?) to support an entire cube, I don't know, but eventually I'm going to get around to putting together a list.

Of course, I also want it to be particularly for 6 man Rochester Draft which is a format no-one ever plays, so I think my plans are doomed from the start.

I just want a cube where someone can get excited about first-picking Fever Charm.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

KasaiAisu posted:

Yeah I've told him that he's pushing tribal too hard but eh, it's his cube.

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

Ask me about zoning laws in videogames

Aston posted:

I just want a cube where someone can get excited about first-picking Fever Charm.

Backdraft?

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Don't you sass me

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

A couple months ago I posted about my foil cube. I did some more work on it, playtested a bit, and today I'm finally going to get a larger group of people to try it out. Trying to play a 360 card cube with 4 people leads to really weird strategies. A couple things I learned:

Never put Grave Titan in a cube with no much graveyard recursion. Or, just, ever.
When you do have so much graveyard shenanigans going on, you need to add alot of stuff to turn it off, too.
Removal is key. Have a million ways to get rid of things. In all colors.

http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/13649

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

GoutPatrol posted:

A couple months ago I posted about my foil cube. I did some more work on it, playtested a bit, and today I'm finally going to get a larger group of people to try it out. Trying to play a 360 card cube with 4 people leads to really weird strategies. A couple things I learned:

Never put Grave Titan in a cube with no much graveyard recursion. Or, just, ever.
When you do have so much graveyard shenanigans going on, you need to add alot of stuff to turn it off, too.

Grave Titan is fine as a finisher. He should have the potential to single handedly win games in most instances; that's why they call him an 'Army in a Can'. He's one of my best black creatures!

http://cubetutor.com/viewcube/9782

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Grave Titan is insane in any cube that isn't blisteringly fast. The only argument I could see for taking him out is if he's too dominant and overshadowing the other black finishers.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

So let's say that I recently got back into MTG and have only KTK cards. Yet I love projects and the concept of a custom limited environment from the history of MTG seems pretty appealing, so I'm drawn to this idea.

Should I make a cube? Should I lean towards something like a Peasant cube? Is there a known "great" list that I should just copy and just listen to the cube maintainers skill and experience?

I guess my goal would be to 1) have a fun collection project and 2) have a cube that would be interesting enough to allow for really quality drafting play but not be expensive or focused on having classic powered/overpowered cards.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I would go ahead and make a Peasant/Pauper Cube in that case, there are a ton of great commons/uncommons in Magic.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I suddenly have like 75+ cards headed to me via Puca Trade.... :shobon:

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

GoutPatrol posted:

That happened to mine as well. We at most had 6 people doing the draft (2 people couldn't show up all the freaking time for some reason, and they're different people each time!). I ended up doing 4 packs of 13 cards each. Even then it ended with extra.

I did get to test the cube out though, it turns out, Sagu Mauler gets poo poo on by a lot of effects, and when your opponent can phanstamal image the mauler, then make you sac yours, you're kinda screwed. What I'm saying is, gently caress Sagu Mauler.

http://cubetutor.com/viewcube/17469

Incidentally, triplicate spirits wasn't that bad, but the one time I ran a token based deck, my friend cast out Sulfur Elemental 2.5 (the .5 being that he would've drew the card next but I managed to kill him with tokens) times in 3 games. Oh the best part was, he made a 60 card deck too :suicide:

I'm thinking about adding more colorless things, maybe a batterskull and some other artifact creatures.

Thisuck fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 30, 2014

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

Occasionally I'll have days where I draft my cube and a singular card beyond others grabs my attention to the point where I say, 'this card is incredible!'. Shrine of Burning Rage was that card, today. Holy Cow.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
A while ago I posted my first attempt at a cube - it was a learning cube for a buddy who hadn't played magic outside of a few times in highschool and we wanted him to get the feel of a limited environment while still playing 4-man multiplayer games. So I created a cube from my thrown-together cast-offs that, in the end, wasn't very cohesive or good.

Well we've been playing and tuning the cube for a while and, with Khans, I settled on a unifying theme for the cube that finally makes all colors and color combos viable. There's a ton of synergy and a lot of great interactions that go on during a multiplayer game.

http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/19428

Keep in mind this is a 4-man cube and we play 4-man multiplayer (either FFA or 2HG). Early drafts of the cube showed, surprise surprise, mill to be pretty drat good/annoying. So rather than lump in a ton of good mill stuff for blue (the previous must-have color) I shifted most of the mill to artifact so that any deck can support it, not just the person who chooses to build mill.

In the past cube red was really weak as well - now it's the fastest and most aggro color. Not only is it threatening on its own but it makes a great support color too.

The theme is pretty obvious, and one that my playgroup has been enjoying. Any feedback would be very welcome - I'm hesitant to call it "finished" as there are always a few cards that don't see play. I'd like to make every pick and every cut a tough decision for my group!

e: There are 4 Terramorphic Expanses and 4 Evolving Wilds, not 1 of each.

Balon fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 7, 2014

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Would this thread be a good venue for discussion of MTGO's current Legacy cube? I 2-1'd yesterday with a sweet RW Lockout deck and today I am getting absolutely stomped despite running what I think is a solid BW control build.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Probably the most appropriate thread for it.

I've been just forcing mono red every single time. Every so often someone screws me out of it and I lose, but the ratio of win/lose is good enough, and most of the time the color is wide open anyway. If you can pick Sulfuric Vortex, make it happen.

Actually, the most valuable red card for me has been Prophetic Flamespeaker. He allows me to spend my burn clearing the board because he just gets all of that card advantage right back for me. Throw Grafted Wargear on him and it's basically game over if you get to hit once.

Other than that there's also a really good RW token deck I've found. Lots of things to make goblins plus your usual white token generators and anthems. Get the two Battle Cry guys that usually get passed and, if you're lucky, Hero of Oxid Ridge.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I've been just forcing mono red every single time. Every so often someone screws me out of it and I lose, but the ratio of win/lose is good enough, and most of the time the color is wide open anyway. If you can pick Sulfuric Vortex, make it happen.

Actually, the most valuable red card for me has been Prophetic Flamespeaker. He allows me to spend my burn clearing the board because he just gets all of that card advantage right back for me. Throw Grafted Wargear on him and it's basically game over if you get to hit once.

Other than that there's also a really good RW token deck I've found. Lots of things to make goblins plus your usual white token generators and anthems. Get the two Battle Cry guys that usually get passed and, if you're lucky, Hero of Oxid Ridge.

It's not that hard to make a deck that beats mono-red, I've found, the problem is making a deck that beats mono-red and Ux control, which is almost impossible. The one time I managed it, I did it by being a blue control deck myself, with Thragtusk, Obstinate Baloth, and Green Sun's Zenith there to make red not impossible.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

BaronVonVaderham posted:

This man speaks truth. On a whim I forced it with first-pick Sarkhan (over Hellrider, which was tough but I think ended up being right) and 3-0'd. First two rounds were easy 2-0s, round 3 vs. Esper control ground out after he had a Parallax Wave and a Damnation; I ended up losing after Dualcaster Mageing a Gifts Ungiven and ending up not getting anything (MODO bug?) Beat him in the second two. He got a bit salty after my third consecutive Turn 1 Stromkirk Noble and blamed the "garbage rear end shuffler" but hey, a win is a win. Also, the best response to Blade Splicer + Phantasmal Image is EOT Spikeshot Elder the Image, untap, Teetering Peaks, shoot down both Golems.

DAD LOST MY IPOD fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Nov 22, 2014

Ebethron
Apr 27, 2008

"I hear the coast is nice this time of year."
"If you're in the right business, it's nice all the year."
What's the most difficult slot in cube to fill? I think maybe black aggro 2 drops and green aggro/midrange 3 drops - none of the options seem very good.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Ebethron posted:

What's the most difficult slot in cube to fill? I think maybe black aggro 2 drops and green aggro/midrange 3 drops - none of the options seem very good.

The Black 5cc Creature slot is awful. There's Shriekmaw, and ...that's it. The new Ob Nix is the next best option. Bloodgift is mediocre, Clique is situationally terrible. Drana's only okay. The original Ob Nix is fine, but it's more of a 6-drop.

A year ago, I would've said the white 3cc spell section, where Oblivion Ring was the only good option (since Spectral Procession is more of a creature slot, and it's also more of a ~4cc card). Since then, we've picked up Banishing Light, Council's Judgment and Spear of Heliod, which fills that section out nicely.

I think there are plenty of good black 2-drops for aggro decks. And green has solid midrange 3cc creatures, but they're mostly utility guys.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Look at this guy who's too good for trained armodon

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I just drafted the bastard child of Sneak and Show and Splinter Twin on the Legacy Cube. I can't wait to 0-3 with this amazing pile of hot garbage. :allears:

e:

Round 1: Got absolutely stomped by RW Tokens (actually a mono-red deck with a bunch of white mana). Game 1 I lost to a Zealous Conscripts into Fireblast, where I needed to counter both but refused to go to 2 by tapping Ancient Tomb (I even had two counterspells!), whereas Game 2 he curved perfectly with Hordeling Assault -> Purphoros -> Ashcloud Phoenix + Goblin Bushwhacker. I had a Sneak Attack on the field and an Emrakul (along with many other goodies) in hand. Now 6 of us get to sit around while the fourth match times out or whatever!

Round 2: I'm playing against U/B control. My turn 3 Emrakul walks into a Shriekmaw. :shepicide:

Game 2 he steals my Keiga with Treachery then Shriekmaws my stolen Keiga to steal my Consecrated Sphinx (after Mystical Teachings for Negation Pact on my Phantasmal Image). I'm on 2 life with a Pestermite, SDT and Future Sight in play with Emrakul in hand. Using the Future Sight + Top combo, I find Sneak Attack with exactly enough mana to cast it and sneak Emrakul in for lethal.

He has loving Force of Will because he drew all the cards he could ever want off my own Consecrated Sphinx. :suicide:

Round 3: I get a bye. I wouldn't have minded losing if I at least got to have fun, but no, I get a win and no games instead. :argh:

ungulateman fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Nov 22, 2014

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

It's not that hard to make a deck that beats mono-red, I've found, the problem is making a deck that beats mono-red and Ux control, which is almost impossible. The one time I managed it, I did it by being a blue control deck myself, with Thragtusk, Obstinate Baloth, and Green Sun's Zenith there to make red not impossible.

I've liked G/W midrange as something that has game against both blue control and aggro. You have a chance at plenty of good planeswalkers that you can stick and ride against U/x, and G/W is probably the best color combo against mono-red, given that you tend to get stuff like Wall Of Omens/Blossoms and Obstinate Baloth very late, plus you have answers to mono-red's top end stuff (except Stormbreath Dragon, which you just have to race.)

G/W midrange does tend to get eaten alive by ultra-ramp, but you can't have every matchup be great!

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

WhiteWolf123 posted:

The Black 5cc Creature slot is awful.

In my own cube I'm considering adding that guy from M15 where your opponent has to sac a creature or pay some life or you get to draw an extra card just to shore up that slot. Herald of Torment is a 5-drop most of the time, but otherwise that slot's lacking.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Surely that guy's worse than Bloodgift Demon.

How do you feel about Liliana Vess?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Aston posted:

Surely that guy's worse than Bloodgift Demon.

How do you feel about Liliana Vess?

It was in addition to, not instead of. My cube is 600 cards so I really just need to up the count for that slot so you can get one in your pool.

Liliana's great, she's in there. I was just talking about creatures.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Ran into Jitte in the cube for the first time. That card is an awful, awful beating. My opponent was on some kind of Temur tempo build, which seemed like a pretty rough matchup for me since he had Cyclonic Rift and Yavimaya Elder to stop my early rush and ramp himself up, then Jitte, Clique, Flametongue Kavu and Ral Zarek to keep my board and hand useless. Jitte is a horrible card to play against. That must have made standard miserable.

EDIT:
And my round 2 opponent has Lightning Helix, Slagstorm, Goblin Guide, Koth of the Hammer, Staggershock, Crater's Claws... I guess I was just being cut off this time, which happens.

DAD LOST MY IPOD fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Nov 22, 2014

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Speaking of awful beatings (coming from me thankfully), I wouldn't argue with anyone who removes geist from their cube for fun-related reasons. A three-drop that removes half the normal methods of interaction and wraps the game up in just a few turns may not actually be more powerful than something like Jace, but it sure it less fun to play with or against.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Red splashing black for Mesmeric Fiend, Brain Maggot, and Terminate just helped me demolish a cube queue. The black splashes were totally relevant, eating valuable cards against control match-ups (in one game it ate the Wrath my opponent needed to untap and cast to live), while - as Baron mentioned - Prophetic Flamespeaker was a mad card-advantage machine everywhere else. Even without pumps to get tons of value out of his double strike, doing 1-2 points and effectively drawing 1-2 cards is nuts with red. In fact, one game he managed to draw a Char off the top on the first-strike damage trigger, which let me zap my opponent and pump a Kiln Fiend to get in for lethal. :blackaxe:

Other awesome cards against control included Avalanche Rider, Molten Rain, and Tec Edge. Against the aforementioned control opponent, I managed to get T3 Molten Rain T4 Riders against him, killing his duals and stranding him with a lone Plains. He conceded on the spot. :laugh:

Unfortunately, I'm a monster who 2-0'd everything and didn't remember to take a screenshot of my deck. Sadness.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Rolling with my last mono red deck (splash blue for Ice!) is making me always want to force it. And I think I just passed a really fun deck for a bunch of bolts :(
Edit: Saved by Sulfuric Vortex.

For some real discussion: What's the lowest land count you'll risk with burn?

Snacksmaniac fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Nov 23, 2014

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Snacksmaniac posted:

Rolling with my last mono red deck (splash blue for Ice!) is making me always want to force it. And I think I just passed a really fun deck for a bunch of bolts :(
Edit: Saved by Sulfuric Vortex.

For some real discussion: What's the lowest land count you'll risk with burn?

I run 16, but no more than 4 4-drops and nothing costing more than 4.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I run 16, but no more than 4 4-drops and nothing costing more than 4.
You can usually get away with dropping one 4-drop in favor of a 5-drop like Thundermaw/Stormbreath if you've got some Scry or stuff like Chandra Pyromancer. Don't play other stocky bad 4+ drops, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Mikujin posted:

You can usually get away with dropping one 4-drop in favor of a 5-drop like Thundermaw/Stormbreath if you've got some Scry or stuff like Chandra Pyromancer. Don't play other stocky bad 4+ drops, though.

This is true, but if my pick were between Thundermaw and a good burn spell, I'd take the burn and hope the dragon came back around unless my deck REALLY supported it already. I think the best curve-toppers are Chandra, Purphoros, Hero of Oxid Ridge, and sometimes Beetleback Chief (if I have Purphoros) or Koth.