Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Organza Quiz posted:

Have you tried yelping loudly at her as you remove her?

Some cats don't seem to react to a yelp, but a sharp, loud hiss will scare them off. Worth a try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe

Octolady posted:

Yea, tried both those things. Toys work for a little while but as soon as you stop she comes right back no matter how long you play with her for. She also mainly seems to use it as a way to try to get onto things, if I'm doing anything in the kitchen I have to lock her out cause she just repeatedly climbs me and her claws are sharp as hell now. I'm maybe not yelping right cause she never really seems to be affected by it :( I'll keep trying though, thanks

Have you trimmed her claws? It doesn't stop the behavior but it makes it a no-go for her.

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

I'm having her claws trimmed at the vet visit tonight. Hissing seems to work better, I have to really go for it though! She's stubborn, but hopefully she'll learn eventually. Thanks for all the suggestions!

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe

Octolady posted:

I'm having her claws trimmed at the vet visit tonight. Hissing seems to work better, I have to really go for it though! She's stubborn, but hopefully she'll learn eventually. Thanks for all the suggestions!

A tip to make trimming easier: during cuddle time start gently handling her paws, like manually extending and retracting her claws. That will get her used to them being fiddled with so you can eventually trim them yourself.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ATP5G1 posted:

A tip to make trimming easier: during cuddle time start gently handling her paws, like manually extending and retracting her claws. That will get her used to them being fiddled with so you can eventually trim them yourself.

My cat hates having her claws trimmed, but I've gotten her to tolerate it by always doing it in the same place on the same desk in the apartment, often taking her there just for petting and providing treats, and 100% of the time without missing a beat feeding her immediately after the trimming. The first time she tried biting me and ripping my face off, but now she just sits with a "let's get this over with so I can have food". She has figured out that if she ends up there and I don't let her go, she'll get food once I do.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

CommonShore posted:

My cat hates having her claws trimmed, but I've gotten her to tolerate it by always doing it in the same place on the same desk in the apartment, often taking her there just for petting and providing treats, and 100% of the time without missing a beat feeding her immediately after the trimming. The first time she tried biting me and ripping my face off, but now she just sits with a "let's get this over with so I can have food". She has figured out that if she ends up there and I don't let her go, she'll get food once I do.

I wish my cat was as trainable as that. In a recent display of excellent feline stupidity, he learned (after 14 years) that if he mews at my window from outside then I might go play with him/feed him early. Unfortunately he hasn't learned that mewing at me gets him attention, rather he seems to think the window has magic qualities. Sometimes he will be in my room with me, get up and go outside, then meow at the window. I'll go out and stand next to him while he stares fixated on the window and continues to meow.

Cats.

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
My cat hates being squirted with water, so though I know it'd be tough to have a spray bottle on you at all times, maybe you could try that? Just don't spray anywhere near her face/ears - that'd be bad news.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
you can also try a can of marbles or dry beans, if your cat is some kind of freak that likes water. Dont hit your cat with the can of beans I mean shake it by them immediately when they do something bad.

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

Hmm the shaking cans is a good idea, I bought her a treat ball and because it rattles she won't touch it :( glad the vet trimmed her claws cause I have NEVER seen her that mad, yowling, hissing, biting. Just lucky she's so small still.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
I'd totally just squirt that little madam in the face next time she does it. It was the only way we could stop our foster kittens from using us as climbing frames; and they learned pretty quickly. Funnily enough I decided that clipping their nails was less kind than the water bottle, because after I clipped one kitten's claws it couldn't jump up onto the couch etc and spent a very sad couple of days being floor-bound unless we picked it up.

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

^^ The trimmed nails didn't even slow her down, she's super lanky and athletic. Can still climb to the top of the curtains!

Update on terror kitty:

Hissing only worked for a short while but the method we found worked all of the time was blowing sharply in her face. Now if your hands get near her when she's playing she will tap them a bit but won't bite at all and won't go for them like she even did last week. Thankfully she doesn't seem to be afraid of hands entirely since she's still happy to be fussed over. Don't know if this will backfire on us somehow. Now if I can get her to stop finding weird things off the floor to eat and peeing on the bed we'll be set! :shobon:

Thanks for all the help kitty thread, as tribute here are some pics

She has too many whiskers

Has taken to sleeping while sitting up

A pretty ok cat :3:

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

We have a local street cat that hangs out outside our door. It is massively overweight and has two shaky front legs. It sleeps a LOT. I know that cats sleep a lot, but this is excessive even for cats. Virtually 23 hours a day asleep. Is this a medical condition that the cat needs treatment for?

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
Smore says whats up Cat Thread

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
Tigger says Hi Smore, check out my new cat tree

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

Tali is lounging around, she doesn't have a care in the world besides making sure her pizza table doesn't go behind the fridge or under the closet door.

I'm considering getting her some claw caps, she's been getting stuck on things and even with regular clipping she still manages to get her paws stuck on the curtains or couch or my face. Any brand recommendations? One was shared with me recently and while I'm considering it I still want goon-pinions.

Spagghentleman
Jan 1, 2013
I've had a weird recurring situation with our older cat (~10 years old). About once a month - sometimes more, sometimes less - he appears to become constipated (multiple trips to the litter box with no result). He will then proceed to throw up AND crap outside the litter box. This is the only time he ever throws up, to the point if we see he's vomited anywhere, we know he's constipated and we'll probably soon find a "present" somewhere. After this happens he's usually fine for the rest of the month. He doesn't have any accidents ever other than these.
We took him to the vet, and he doesn't seem to think it's a big deal. He thinks the cat is straining himself so hard to go that he makes himself sick, and when the time to "go" does come he's probably fed up with making trips to the box and just goes wherever he is.
Anyone have any ideas on if this might be an underlying cause of something else? We feed him dry Hills Science Diet (at the request of our vet), and the wet equivalent a couple times a week (also at the request of our vet). AFAIK, he's drinking plenty of water too. Maybe we need to get him on something to stop the constipation? Or is this just a normal cat thing for older cats?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

JustAwful posted:

I've had a weird recurring situation with our older cat (~10 years old). About once a month - sometimes more, sometimes less - he appears to become constipated (multiple trips to the litter box with no result). He will then proceed to throw up AND crap outside the litter box. This is the only time he ever throws up, to the point if we see he's vomited anywhere, we know he's constipated and we'll probably soon find a "present" somewhere. After this happens he's usually fine for the rest of the month. He doesn't have any accidents ever other than these.
We took him to the vet, and he doesn't seem to think it's a big deal. He thinks the cat is straining himself so hard to go that he makes himself sick, and when the time to "go" does come he's probably fed up with making trips to the box and just goes wherever he is.
Anyone have any ideas on if this might be an underlying cause of something else? We feed him dry Hills Science Diet (at the request of our vet), and the wet equivalent a couple times a week (also at the request of our vet). AFAIK, he's drinking plenty of water too. Maybe we need to get him on something to stop the constipation? Or is this just a normal cat thing for older cats?

Is it prescription Science Diet for a medical condition or is your vet just pushing lovely food on your cat for whatever reason?

Spagghentleman
Jan 1, 2013
Not prescription, I don't even buy it from my vet. He just suggested it over the Purina Pro-Plan (urinary tract formula) I was feeding him because he had crystals once. Apparently the Science Diet is better for him than the Pro Plan, which is very high in sodium.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
The cat attract litter in the OP is working really well at attracting the cats to the litterbox. It's their new favorite playplace, apparently tastes great too. Too bad they're still making GBS threads and pissing everywhere but the litterbox.

$300 in the last month on litterboxes and various litters for nothing.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Cookie and Pudding are much better. Cookie got dehydrated and had to stay overnight at the vet, but they're all on antibiotics and back to being lovable assholes poking me in the face at 4 in the morning.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Do any of you brush kitty teeth? Should I go for a finger brush or a brush on a stick model? Our ~6 month old kitten has some mildly stank breath and I'd like to nip it in the bud if possible. He's the chillest cat and has been letting me move his lips around to check on his baby teeth progress, so I don't think it'll be too big of a problem to get him used to getting brushed. Not to mention he's a fatty in training, so the chicken flavored toothpaste won't hurt.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

marchantia posted:

Do any of you brush kitty teeth? Should I go for a finger brush or a brush on a stick model? Our ~6 month old kitten has some mildly stank breath and I'd like to nip it in the bud if possible. He's the chillest cat and has been letting me move his lips around to check on his baby teeth progress, so I don't think it'll be too big of a problem to get him used to getting brushed. Not to mention he's a fatty in training, so the chicken flavored toothpaste won't hurt.

The tooth brushing kit I got had the enzymatic toothpaste, a brush, and a fingerbrush. The fingerbrush is by FAR the easier to use than the conventional brush.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I would. The vet noticed Pudding has mild gingivitis so I've started brushing. I've got a finger brush and a tiny kitty brush. He's way less upset about the brush in his mouth than my finger, plus I can see what I'm doing with it.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
My cats get confused when the laser pointer disappears when we are done playing. Where should the laser pointer "go"?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

My cats get confused when the laser pointer disappears when we are done playing. Where should the laser pointer "go"?

You can end it on a toy that your cat likes to play with.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

duckfarts posted:

You can end it on a toy that your cat likes to play with.

Ok good cause fifteen minutes later they are still looking for it

Lipumira
May 6, 2007

FIRE!

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

Ok good cause fifteen minutes later they are still looking for it

I always have a few treats in my pocket and "explode" the light into treats.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Has anyone had success in training adult cats to accept their teeth being brushed? I've got one who absolutely rejects any attempts to manipulate her mouth, but she's got skanky breath and poor dental history. (Poor thing is running out of fangs, and those extractions are drat expensive.)

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

I brush my cats' teeth with enzymatic toothpaste and a tiny cat brush. The finger brush is too awkward. They hate it, but I just sit on them and do it and then they are over it, and it helps that they like the taste of the toothpaste. If your cat is particularly hellish, just smearing the toothpaste on his gums will help, although physically brushing them is best.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
How low can you set your thermostat in the winter when only your cats will be home?

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!

RedTonic posted:

Has anyone had success in training adult cats to accept their teeth being brushed? I've got one who absolutely rejects any attempts to manipulate her mouth, but she's got skanky breath and poor dental history. (Poor thing is running out of fangs, and those extractions are drat expensive.)

If she already has dental disease, she needs to get them cleaned first, otherwise brushing will just hurt. Then it's just positive association - with my cats, I started doing it before they got fed and they learned to tolerate it.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

TheAngryDrunk posted:

How low can you set your thermostat in the winter when only your cats will be home?

60°F maybe. Yes, cats have fur coats and survive outdoors in much lower temperatures, but presumably you want to be nice to your cats. :3:

You shouldn't go below 60°F for your pipes' sake, anyway.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Braki posted:

If she already has dental disease, she needs to get them cleaned first, otherwise brushing will just hurt. Then it's just positive association - with my cats, I started doing it before they got fed and they learned to tolerate it.

She has been treated and cleaned recently, so that is set. (I wish I could be KO'd during my dental appointments...) Doing it before feedings sounds like a really good trick. Both of my girls are on a wet food diet now, so they have fixed feeding times. Thanks for the guidance, CompactFanny and Braki!

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!
Oh, I forgot to mention that you can buy proxabrushes to brush their teeth. They're tiny so it's easy to reach their gum line. Finger brushes are too big for cat mouths IMO.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Is there a rule of thumb for giving cats benadryl for allergies? My cat's lower lip puffs up from time to time and my vet has told me it's okay to give him bendryl to help with it. That was over a year ago and I've never had to give him benadryl and I'm not sure what the dosage should be. Googling has given me a wide range of dosing information, but I can't find recommendations like x ml / y lbs of cat.

ray_finkle_himself
Sep 7, 2012
What's the best cat litter to hide odour? I just moved into a small apartment and have my cat's litter box in the washroom. The smell is pretty bad and I scoop it every day.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What are you using? Is it bad only when he uses it, or all the time, or a certain time after emptying out the whole thing? Is it the urine or feces smell?

Odor control: I used to use silica crystal litter, but switched to Breeder's choice recycled paper and noticed practically no difference, which was a huge plus since Breeder's choice doesnt hurt like gently caress when I step on one and is so much cheaper. The other upside is that while I'm scooping more, it doesnt smell like death at the end of the week since I'm also scooping out the wet waste. I also give the whole semi-enclosed litter tray a wipedown every few weeks.

The biggest change was when I had to put my cats on Hills Science Diet i/d for a while because of their poop blasting issues. They've since recovered, but now Cookie's poops hardly smell at all.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

ray_finkle_himself posted:

What's the best cat litter to hide odour? I just moved into a small apartment and have my cat's litter box in the washroom. The smell is pretty bad and I scoop it every day.

I have two cats and two litter boxes. The litterboxes are the kind with a top and swinging cat door so it's totally closed. I use a blend of two World's Best cat litters. I use the... original (it has a red label) and I mix in some of World's Best pine blend. I'd say it's about a 4 part original 1 part pine blend and I don't have any odors. The only time it gets stinky is if I miss two days of scooping if I go out of town for work.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I need some cat advice.

I have two, both neutered.

Jess, approximatley 3 year years old, around 3.5 kilos and Oscar approximately 4 and a half years old, 4.5 kilos. I've had Jess for two years and Oscar for about 6 months. They've never been pals, but they could tolerate each other, however recently Oscar has started to get more bullying - taking Jess's chair, blocking her access to other spaces (though not food, and he never stops her from eating his food instead of her own)

He's more boisterous and tries to play fight, which I think Jess interprets as real fighting.

Any advice on getting him to calm down and give her some space?

I'm going to be plugging the feliway diffuser back in, and trying to shoo him off her chair when I see him there, and I try to distract him with toys if I notice that he about to pounce on Jess (which always works and is why I think he's trying to play rather than real fight - I'm guessing a cat intent on actual violence wouldn't be as easily distracted).

I don't want to have to rehome him, as I like them both but Jess was here first (and he'd have an easier time being rehomed due to being ginger and quite charismatic rather than Jess who is black and white and a little bit bitey)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
Ugh, so I brought Tigger to the vet on Wednesday for his pudding poop stinky issues and the vet did her thing and said his intestinal flora is a bit high but didn't find any issues. She gave him a shot and has me feeding him special bland cat food and putting some powder on top. He's thrown up 4-5 times since, couple times right after eating and now just stomach acid, and when he goes poop it sounds like a spurting hose although it doesn't smell as bad as before... Calling vet in couple hours,drat it cat you are making me poor

edit: called vet, vet said thats bad, and I get to bring him in for x-ray..

So much for the 70" TV I was thinking of getting soon :|

Danith fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Oct 31, 2014