Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Spiderdrake posted:

Bleach will probably be alright when you can read it beginning to end at your own pace.

I'd say "pretty good" but then I remember right in the middle there's a fullbring of poo poo.

Even power reading the entire Hueco Mundo arc is way too long. The current arc is pretty awesome, and so is the first arc. As a stand alone the full bringer arc isn't horrible. It mostly just doesn't make sense in the story and is a complete shift of gears. Power reading it, its okay. Honestly Fullbringer arc would have been perfectly fine as a "and then this happened" 2nd manga a few years after the first ended. It just reads as completely stupid in the middle of a manga, hell it might have been okay if it was the final arc too. A way to bring Ichigo back down from god mode and leave him with powers at the end of the series. The real problem is we knew it wasn't the final arc as it was happening, its completely pointless filler level nonsense because of that.

Bleach suffers a ton of the same pacing issues Naruto does, they try and be Dragonball but look to the anime for pacing instead of the manga, and DBZ anime pacing in manga form is just stupid. I honestly feel current manga suffers from over staying their welcome much like many TV shows do. Dragonball just barely overstayed its welcome but it still ends fine enough, much like how many shows that only go for 5-7 seasons and end because they know they are out of poo poo to write about do. The last season isn't as good but its still good and wraps it all up and gives you a good chance to say goodbye.

Naruto is just pounding this poo poo into the ground and I don't even care about the beginning of the story anymore, I don't care about saying goodbye, this is like having a family member who has had Alzheimer and cancer for 10 years and you have accepted they are going to die long ago, you are just waiting for it. You have already grieved since they haven't know who you are for 5 years. Yes its pretty different with people since they are alive, but its still awkward being at a funeral where everyone close to them isn't crying and the people that were less close and haven't coped with it are the saddest people their.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Bleach is ok right now mainly because they're moving through the fights at a decent pace.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Too bad there are so many goddamn fights.

Triple Elation
Feb 24, 2012

1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + ... = -1
The exact lesson I should learn from this whole thing has just now occurred to me: Serial fiction is a total crapshoot. There are so many issues I am just completely tired of dealing with when consuming media, and somehow I never realized how many of them are ultimately traceable to the work being constantly in progress in plain sight. Something, somehow eventually goes awry in the process of weaving it into a proper story, 98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed. My wife is really addicted to TV shows in general and I kind of went with her on it being our main source of entertainment, and consequently it's difficult to remember when I've last enjoyed a fictional experience which had a well-defined beginning, middle and end that added up. Naruto certainly isn't it.

Bonus: Here is a picture

Triple Elation fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Oct 23, 2014

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Say Nothing posted:

So, once Neezus has finished stomping The Girl With Kaleidoscope Eyes via the power of friendship, which manga should I go read instead?

One Piece.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Triple Elation posted:

The exact lesson I should learn from this whole thing has just now occurred to me: Serial fiction is a total crapshoot. There are so many issues I am just completely tired of dealing with when consuming media, and somehow I never realized how many of them are ultimately traceable to the work being constantly in progress in plain sight. Something, somehow eventually goes awry in the process of weaving it into a proper story, 98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed. My wife is really addicted to TV shows in general and I kind of went with her on it being our main source of entertainment, and consequently it's difficult to remember when I've last enjoyed a fictional experience which had a well-defined beginning, middle and end that added up. Naruto certainly isn't it.

Bonus: Here is a picture

Read Full Metal Alchemist. It's probably one of the best plotted and paced series i've ever read and it feels like it goes on for exactly as long as it needs to. It's really good.

This goes for Say Nothing too, I suppose

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Say Nothing posted:

So, once Neezus has finished stomping The Girl With Kaleidoscope Eyes via the power of friendship, which manga should I go read instead?

Beelzebub

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005
http://www.mangapanda.com/naruto/697

it's up on mangapanda.

I can't be the only one to lose it at this panel and start laughing

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
Tripping over nothing. Not just for Hinata and Ran Mouri from Detective Conan anymore.

Triple Elation
Feb 24, 2012

1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + ... = -1
OK I'm calling it now: Sakura, who is at this exact current moment in time unimaginably more powerful than either Naruto or Sasuke, arrives at the scene and in her official capacity as a main character declares this ridiculous fight and the manga over. By what particular narrative means this will be accomplished I don't know, but if it does I will forgive all of Sakura's uselessness retroactively twice over. "OK Naruto and Sasuke, you've had enough rambling egomanic speeches and power-ups that can end all of creation with but a thought for today, we're going home. No buts! I said no buts. If you keep up this attitude I'm not taking you next time."

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Well, Sasuke said he's destined to win. That means he's just about to lose.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Has the Rinnegan's ability to steal Chakra been mentioned before. Because if not this is the perfect way for this fight to end, with a spontaneous new eye power.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Has the Rinnegan's ability to steal Chakra been mentioned before. Because if not this is the perfect way for this fight to end, with a spontaneous new eye power.

Of course.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Calling it right now, Sakura's gonna pull a Rin/Momo and get stabbed.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Chakra absorption has been a rin'nengan power for a long time. It was the trick of one of the Pein bodies. Back when tactics and logic could matter, Naruto defeated that body by generating sage chakra and turning him into stone.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Remember the one path of pain that absorbed everything? The real question is why he hasn't been using this before. But he just unlocked the rinnegan in his other eye, i guess he needed that?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

And then he gets the cancer Itachi had and dies, the end.

Please?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I liked the fight. :) I wanted to see them duke it out normally. I liked seeing Naruto try his naruto ren dan again. Yeah, not bad.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Naruto using the Narutorendan, and Sasuke using Amaterasu, regular Chidori and motherfucking shurikens hidden in a seal on his sleeve is pretty cool. Once again, Kishi does the small scale stuff really well.

PIGEOTO
Sep 11, 2007

It just goes to show you that Kishi's strengths aren't in big universe scale gundam fight scenes, but in close quarters combat.

edit: beaten

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

VJeff posted:

Naruto using the Narutorendan, and Sasuke using Amaterasu, regular Chidori and motherfucking shurikens hidden in a seal on his sleeve is pretty cool. Once again, Kishi does the small scale stuff really well.

Yes, I was actually shocked to see ninjas use weapons again.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Did anyone else notice he wasn't in sage mode he just whoops out a ball thing and then fell on his face. i should have seen that coming

PIGEOTO
Sep 11, 2007

Since when does he need to be in sage mode to do a normal rasengan?

A: He doesn't

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Skychrono posted:

Tripping over nothing. Not just for Hinata and Ran Mouri from Detective Conan anymore.

Yes because falling from exhaustion after blowing all of your chakra on your last super attack is implausible.

And yeah like I've always said, this is the type of combat Kishimoto is best t plotting out, like one of my favorite sequences in the series is Itachi vs Sasuke and their hand to hand illusion battle.

And Sasuke literally just absorbed the chakra of all the tailed beasts he sealed away like a chapter ago. Not to mention Pain. That didn't come out of nowhere.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
This was the best chapter in the last couple years. Imagine what Naruto would have been like if Kishimoto had stuck to smaller-scale fights like this all along instead of going ninja-nuclear.

Triple Elation
Feb 24, 2012

1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + ... = -1
I'm just glad that Kishi acknowledged that deep inside, all we ever really wanted was to see Sasuke being punched in the face.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

After all these years of nuclear mushrooms and giant energyballs, it is actually refreshing to see such savage close-range battle. Reminded me of Goku vs Majin Vegeta.

Black Is Black
Jan 6, 2007

If Sakura shows up with a mega punch to end this fight, I'm going to lose my poo poo.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Black Is Black posted:

If Sakura shows up with a mega punch to end this fight, I'm going to lose my poo poo.

That would be the appropriate end to this. I'm liking the smaller scale fights too.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
So... they literally mashed their toys so hard they momentarily lost every single power up they had?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Naruto Manga Thread 17: Yeah, that fight from They Live was pretty awesome.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
He loving tripped ahahahahah.

Dexo posted:

Yes because falling from exhaustion after blowing all of your chakra on your last super attack is implausible.

No he didn't, his Rasengan didn't dissipate and there was a god drat "ズザ!!" sound effect. Know what that represents? Skidding. He fell over and slid from the momentum.

EDIT: I mean the chapter was pretty great besides that but holy poo poo that is hamfisted.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Oct 23, 2014

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

BlitzBlast posted:

He loving tripped ahahahahah.

No he didn't, his Rasengan didn't dissipate and there was a god drat "ズザ!!" sound effect. Know what that represents? Skidding. He fell over and slid from the momentum.

EDIT: I mean the chapter was pretty great besides that but holy poo poo that is hamfisted.

I thought it was pretty clear he tripped because in the next panel you could see the rasengan digging into the ground. I just wasn't sure if he tripped due to his own clumsiness or if Sasuke pulled some ninja trick since the fight is suddenly not about who has the biggest energy attack.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I wonder if there's any significance to Naruto hitting Sasuke on the forehead in that panel where they're both collapsed. That's always been an Itachi spot. Or is it more likely a reference to the whole 'You won't put a scratch on my headband!' thing instead? Both work.

Pyrotoad fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Oct 23, 2014

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Kishi proves once again that he should have been writing Dragonball instead of Dragonball Z. :rip:

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Death Bot posted:

Kishi proves once again that he should have been writing Dragonball instead of Dragonball Z. :rip:

This would've been so good if chakra was never introduced as a concept.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
So it Naruto had been in Sage Mode then he would have won this fight already? One of the paths of Pain tried that same trick that Sasuke just did and absorbed Sage Chakra but he turned into a frog statue because he didn't know how to control it. By all rights we should have a frog statue with a stupid spiky haircut and this series would be over by now.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

DeadBonesBrook posted:

So it Naruto had been in Sage Mode then he would have won this fight already? One of the paths of Pain tried that same trick that Sasuke just did and absorbed Sage Chakra but he turned into a frog statue because he didn't know how to control it. By all rights we should have a frog statue with a stupid spiky haircut and this series would be over by now.

Yeah but then Sasuke would be a frog and we can't have that

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Shoren posted:

I thought it was pretty clear he tripped because in the next panel you could see the rasengan digging into the ground. I just wasn't sure if he tripped due to his own clumsiness or if Sasuke pulled some ninja trick since the fight is suddenly not about who has the biggest energy attack.

He stumbled and over a rock, which I suppose is clumsiness, but just like Sasuke's inability to hold a chidori a few panels before Naruto slipping it's supposed to just show a desperate situation between two fighters who are drained as gently caress and no longer have much to give.

I suppose the better option would have been to fizzle the Rasengan, and do a repeat of Kazuku, but him falling is not really that egregious.

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Probably, But Naruto couldn't do that right off the top, he needs setup for that since he can't gather the energy with out a clone. I wouldn't be surprised if that's how he gets out of the situation at the end of the chapter though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

VJeff posted:

motherfucking shurikens hidden in a seal on his sleeve

On one hand, I want to be angry at this because you know that would never work on any other enemy they've fought in this series due to the fact that shuriken are drat near worthless.

On the other hand, this is the kind of subtle ninja fighting that I've been missing since Kakashi noticed that the rabbit Zabuza released was the wrong color for that time of year.

Triple Elation posted:

I'm just glad that Kishi acknowledged that deep inside, all we ever really wanted was to see Sasuke being punched in the face.

I was extremely disappointed that Naruto tripped when Sasuke's Chidori fizzled out.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 23, 2014

• Locked thread