Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Who What Now posted:

Augh! I actually was starting to like this game and now I've hit a bullshit wall!

Welcome to the entire loving Borderlands franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I don't know what the deal is with Borderlands but they make decisions that make a single player game less fun. No idea why.

Apparently the pre-sequel didn't fix the terrible, terrible scaling of the second game. I can't understand how you wouldn't remedy that.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

LoonShia posted:

That's what Let's Play is for.
No, it isn't. I don't even know what is supposedly so controversial about just wanting to get to play the game instead of having to gently caress around finding the actual game within the "world". I don't know how anyone can seriously argue for "there should be bits of the game that a lot of players will miss" because what the gently caress is the point of that? "Ooh, you know I am really enjoying this game, but I'd enjoy it a hell of a lot more if I got to play slightly less of it!"

This is incredibly dumb.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

Tiggum posted:

No, it isn't. I don't even know what is supposedly so controversial about just wanting to get to play the game instead of having to gently caress around finding the actual game within the "world". I don't know how anyone can seriously argue for "there should be bits of the game that a lot of players will miss" because what the gently caress is the point of that? "Ooh, you know I am really enjoying this game, but I'd enjoy it a hell of a lot more if I got to play slightly less of it!"

I honestly don't know why everyone's jumping down your throat to be honest.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Tiggum posted:

This is incredibly dumb.

You do know that exploration and discovering stuff is actually supposed to be a part of the game right

+ getting everything spoon fed to you makes it so that you don't actually feel like you're working to achieve anything and that just feels hollow as hell IMO

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

M.Ciaster posted:

You do know that exploration and discovering stuff is actually supposed to be a part of the game right

+ getting everything spoon fed to you makes it so that you don't actually feel like you're working to achieve anything and that just feels hollow as hell IMO

Yes but it's your opinion. Basically what y'all are saying is "How dare you not enjoy your videogames in the exact same way I do? I demand you enjoy them the same way I do!"

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/538504547712814530/6C8B4E6B359EDF2AFD455EE36595A319080987F6/

Waiting for a game forever in Gauntlet. This is a pretty fun game, if you can actually get one going.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Tiggum posted:

This is incredibly dumb.

The world is the game. You explore the world and talk to NPCs and you get given quests as a result. You'll also miss a lot of content in Mario Galaxy if you refuse to press the jump button.

Len posted:

Yes but it's your opinion. Basically what y'all are saying is "How dare you not enjoy your videogames in the exact same way I do? I demand you enjoy them the same way I do!"
a video game can't be everything to everyone. There are already plenty of games that don't have optional side quests, someone who doesn't like optional side quests can just play those instead of suggesting that the entire concept of optional side quests be eradicated.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

2house2fly posted:

The world is the game. You explore the world and talk to NPCs and you get given quests as a result. You'll also miss a lot of content in Mario Galaxy if you refuse to press the jump button.
a video game can't be everything to everyone. There are already plenty of games that don't have optional side quests, someone who doesn't like optional side quests can just play those instead of suggesting that the entire concept of optional side quests be eradicated.

Except that isn't what Tiggum was suggesting? I read that as asking for optional side quests to be included on a list in game so that you could easily see what you have/haven't done.

Rather than getting online to check a wiki to see if you needed to pick up the golden button from the Caverns of Mount Everdie which triggers the spawning of the NPC Sir Archibald Nantucket in the Town of the New Player that gives you a quest to collect bear asses and return to him for a golden +5 sword.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

redweird posted:

Apparently the pre-sequel didn't fix the terrible, terrible scaling of the second game. I can't understand how you wouldn't remedy that.

It's definitely not perfect, but it has been improved. Of course they haven't added a 3rd playthrough (yet?) and that's where BL2 really broke down.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Bit of a stupid thing and totally my own problem, but the only thing I hate about BL2 Presequel is all the Australian accents.
Sure it was made in Aus but a whole loving moon in the future does not need everyone to have the same accent.

And Pickle's designer and voice actor needs to die.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

M.Ciaster posted:

How is "I don't want to miss out on any of the quests" in any way equivalent to "I want everything spoon-fed to me." I like playing the game, that's why I want to do all the quests. I don't like having to talk to every single NPC in case one of them happens to hand out a quest, because listening to incidental dialogue isn't really what I'm here for. It's tedious, time-consuming and just generally time that could be better spent actually playing the game.

2house2fly posted:

Actually, that's a good point though. Why are those quests optional? Who's enjoying the game enough to keep playing it but thinking "Gee, I hope I don't have to play all of this game. I just want to get to the final cutscene as quickly as possible." And if there is some benefit to that, why not make it entirely voluntary? What's the benefit in making it possible to accidentally skip stuff?

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

TheMostFrench posted:

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/538504547712814530/6C8B4E6B359EDF2AFD455EE36595A319080987F6/

Waiting for a game forever in Gauntlet. This is a pretty fun game, if you can actually get one going.

Yeah, and when you do finally join in or get people to join you, they quit if they don't get the character they want.

The four characters are not equal. The Warrior has absolutely no defensive moves and doesn't do any more damage than the others, (arguably less with no long range attacks) so you're running away to avoid being surrounded more than anything.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Tiggum posted:

How is "I don't want to miss out on any of the quests" in any way equivalent to "I want everything spoon-fed to me." I like playing the game, that's why I want to do all the quests. I don't like having to talk to every single NPC in case one of them happens to hand out a quest, because listening to incidental dialogue isn't really what I'm here for. It's tedious, time-consuming and just generally time that could be better spent actually playing the game.

Actually, that's a good point though. Why are those quests optional? Who's enjoying the game enough to keep playing it but thinking "Gee, I hope I don't have to play all of this game. I just want to get to the final cutscene as quickly as possible." And if there is some benefit to that, why not make it entirely voluntary? What's the benefit in making it possible to accidentally skip stuff?

So you don't want things spoon-fed to you, you just want the game to tell you in the simplest manner possible how to accomplish 100% completion so that you don't miss anything or have to look outside the game which reduces game-playing efficiency?

:what:

Like, I understand frustrations with games that hide content behind contortions of logic no one would ever think of in an attempt to boost sales of the strategy guides, but for someone who's bitched about insulting tutorials, your idea literally turns the entire game into one huge insulting tutorial.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Tiggum posted:

All quests are not equal, and not all of them are fun. I do my best to do as many quests as possible but there are usually a few that are simply frustrating and/or tedious. Quests that are simply a long drown out list of busy work such as collecting 20 WaggleBaggle Warts, where the WaggleBaggles are a very rare monster who are unfun to fight and only drops their warts 6% of the time and they are found on the other side of the map then I'm going to skip that quest unless it gives me a reward that's worth the tedium and frustration.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

So you don't want things spoon-fed to you, you just want the game to tell you in the simplest manner possible how to accomplish 100% completion so that you don't miss anything or have to look outside the game which reduces game-playing efficiency?

Those aren't the same thing.

It's entirely reasonable to say that you don't like looking at a FAQ to find content in a game. That doesn't mean that he wants to be put on a loving roller coaster and shown all the sights without any input.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Who What Now posted:

All quests are not equal, and not all of them are fun. I do my best to do as many quests as possible but there are usually a few that are simply frustrating and/or tedious. Quests that are simply a long drown out list of busy work such as collecting 20 WaggleBaggle Warts, where the WaggleBaggles are a very rare monster who are unfun to fight and only drops their warts 6% of the time and they are found on the other side of the map then I'm going to skip that quest unless it gives me a reward that's worth the tedium and frustration.

Usually not including poo poo like this is a sign of good game design

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
At this point I think jumping on Tiggum is simply the cool thing to do. If you actually read what he says instead of assuming he's saying something wrong, it's pretty reasonable. Mechanics like Assassin's Creed that show you the stuff on the map after you sync, and give you a list of the collectables is basically what he seems to be talking about. And he's right. poo poo that drags down games for me is when I have 1 collectable left and no clue where it is, or which I've collected.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Avenging_Mikon posted:

At this point I think jumping on Tiggum is simply the cool thing to do. If you actually read what he says instead of assuming he's saying something wrong, it's pretty reasonable. Mechanics like Assassin's Creed that show you the stuff on the map after you sync, and give you a list of the collectables is basically what he seems to be talking about. And he's right. poo poo that drags down games for me is when I have 1 collectable left and no clue where it is, or which I've collected.

Yeah but don't you get it? Going through an online checklist one by one and trying to remember where the other 99 feathers you got is the game not spoonfeeding you this, which would be bad because,

This is the kind of mindset that keeps Minecraft totally incomprehensible to newer players who don't have the luck to have gotten the console version, and lo and behold, the example you give is actually really great - the same thing happens in Sleeping Dogs and it's also a blast to just run around and take in the sights and occasionally divert toward something on your minimap without feeling obligated to do so unless you forget where it is.

I play games to have fun, and sometimes that fun is just running around and watching numbers go up, not combing every lovely back alley in Damascus for a banner I may have missed.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I forget what game it was but I played one where the collectibles were completely hidden until you got down to the last ten where they were then shown on the map. Seemed a good way to handle it.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I liked Bully's approach of making the collectibles visible on the map by doing a certain activity. And since that activity was Geography class it was educational too. Can you point out Chad on a globe? Well, I can now.

And yet Rockstar Games also is responsible for Grand Theft Auto IV which has hard to find collectibles, a shitload of them and there's a crappy reward for getting them all to top it off. Sure, you can find a map showing them with the in-game internet, but since you can't access that on the go it is pretty much useless.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I've said this before but GTA4 is kinda an all-around terrible game that the critics gave a pass to because OMG NEXT-GEN GTA

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
On the topic of finding collectibles, the whole audio log collection quest/side story in Halo 3: ODST really would've been improved by some sort of indicator on the map, even if it was just something like marking where every log you'd found already was so you could figure out where the rest were by process of elimination.

As obvious as the in-world indications were, I still couldn't find the last audio log in the hub world (you need to collect all the logs scattered throughout the hub world in order to unlock the ~special~ objective in the final mission and complete the side story) before getting tired of the game spawning Hunters around every other corner and just finishing the game without it.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I can live without the gaming telling me where everything is, if I get tired of searching I can go look up an image on gamefaqs or the thread for that game on these very forums.

The issue with wanting things to be listed like that in-game is that it spoils poo poo for the rest of us who don't want to just follow the map to find poo poo. Sure, in some games you can adjust the filter of the mini-map to make that poo poo go away and stop cluttering up my map, BUT that poo poo tends to get reset every time you load up the game or on some other conditions in the same playthrough. The AssCreed maps get so loving colored, especially with their monotone UI.

Exploration is fun for it's own sake, and if people wanna bitch out over it, they can spend two minutes on google to look it up. If that poo poo must be in a game, in should be disabled by default and hidden away. AssCreeIV has a whole button dedicated to that poo poo, and a pop that frequently shows telling me how many of what I have in a given location and it just makes me apathetic to finishing it because it no longer feels like exploration and collecting and more like a continually nagging that I haven't acquired 100% yet.

"But I have to check gamefaqs!" is the laziest loving whine, btw.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Tiggum posted:

Uh, pretty much, yeah. I'm playing games for entertainment. I want it to deliver the fun things to me so that I can enjoy them. :shrug:

So do games like Minecraft bother you that there aren't any precise objectives? How about games like Crimsonland and its survival mode?

It seems to me that what you like is nothing but the gameplay. When you play a game and the story tagline is 'Out of this world First-Person Shooter with never before seen abilities!", you want nothing but shooting in first person and to jump the gently caress around. You could care less if there were 100 side quests that let you find the root cause of the story they were trying to shoehorn into the game.

I play a lot of games for the story not necessarily to get to the end but to see how they tell that story through the gameplay. I already know the ending and I don't want to search every nook and cranny for 116 Buttgloss statues so I just look at a guide. Very rarely do I play a game that is just 'Game: The Game, feat. Gameplay'. If I bought a game that I do not particularly like and am stuck with it, I will use achievements to gauge how much theoretical gameplay I should get out of it but only to save money. Sometimes, though, achievements are just so unfun that I don't bother and I end up with a 100/1500 like on RE6.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Doctor Bishop posted:

On the topic of finding collectibles, the whole audio log collection quest/side story in Halo 3: ODST really would've been improved by some sort of indicator on the map, even if it was just something like marking where every log you'd found already was so you could figure out where the rest were by process of elimination.

That's a good way to do it as well. Just have the ones you've found marked.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Mierenneuker posted:

I liked Bully's approach of making the collectibles visible on the map by doing a certain activity. And since that activity was Geography class it was educational too. Can you point out Chad on a globe? Well, I can now.

And yet Rockstar Games also is responsible for Grand Theft Auto IV which has hard to find collectibles, a shitload of them and there's a crappy reward for getting them all to top it off. Sure, you can find a map showing them with the in-game internet, but since you can't access that on the go it is pretty much useless.

GTA 3,Vice City, and San Andreas' collectibles were, although hard to find, worth it because it gave you an armory in case you died to something stupid like drowning. Water being poison is another story all on its own though.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

All games should cater to my particular tastes and there's no room in the market for multiple approaches. Also, there should be no agreement or compromise between factions and this derail should continue on.

I've been playing the original Prototype and I think it's kind of a fun open-world beat-em-up game but holy gently caress am I sick of the missions. Every mission devolves into you vs 6000 enemies with rocket launchers and knock back attacks. It seems hi-jacking military vehicles is the only reasonable way to complete anything.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
I recently borrowed Thief from a friend, and while it's an okay game it does have some obvious flaws. My biggest beef with it is the fact that they simultaneously rolled a number of actions into E (by default) while separating other very similar actions and assigning them to other keys.

What this means is that often I'll try to pick a locked chest next to a corner and get stuck peeking around said corner three or four times before Garrett goes for the lock. Meanwhile your silent takedown (Q) and melee attack (R) both use the blackjack but are separate buttons.

I know you can probably remap the keys, but I'm too used to the original trilogy and its control schemes.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Rick_Hunter posted:

GTA 3,Vice City, and San Andreas' collectibles were, although hard to find, worth it because it gave you an armory in case you died to something stupid like drowning. Water being poison is another story all on its own though.

Yeah, not only were the rewards better, it handed them out at intervals. So even if you never got more than 20 packages you at least got something in return. Beyond an achievement you just could get an attack chopper in GTA IV. A reward that I quote "hardly ever spawns" and "there are other spawn points for the Annihilator which are easily accessible without the need to kill the Flying Rats, effectively rendering the helicopter as a reward useless".

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
It sounds like we're just playing different kinds of games. I was thinking about stuff like finding the hidden dock with the sniper rifle and killing The End early in Metal Gear Solid 3, which if the game pointed you towards it would defeat the purpose. But yeah if you're doing the Collect 100 Greebles missions in some open world game I can see how that's not fun. I would recommend not playing games that aren't fun to you.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Playing Smash Run makes me want to smash my cartridge. Holy poo poo what a clusterfuck. It also faces me with my nemesis: Video Game Knockback

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

kazil posted:

I've been playing the original Prototype and I think it's kind of a fun open-world beat-em-up game but holy gently caress am I sick of the missions. Every mission devolves into you vs 6000 enemies with rocket launchers and knock back attacks. It seems hi-jacking military vehicles is the only reasonable way to complete anything.

You'll probably like Prototype 2 more. It takes away some of your options (there's no Power Rangers villian-esque armor mode anymore :(), but it streamlines and tightens up the hand-to-hand combat and gives you a hell of a lot more different types of enemies to fight. Plus, the protagonist is hilarious.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

kazil posted:

Never stop moving, ever. Jump over enemies firing an assault rifle only to drop it when it empties and charge into a flying kick before you land, hitting Y to grab the enemy you kicked towards and eating him for health only to jump again switching quickly to whipfist to Y grab another enemy and fly behind a building and eating him to switch out of sight to soldier and jump and hijack a nearby copter and immediately jump back out of it and switching to sword to crash down on a tank while the chopper falls on a nearby marine and you've only got to do it 30 more times and you're done with the mission!

:Fakeedit:

I platinum-ed all of the events :suicide:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Mierenneuker posted:

Yeah, not only were the rewards better, it handed them out at intervals. So even if you never got more than 20 packages you at least got something in return. Beyond an achievement you just could get an attack chopper in GTA IV. A reward that I quote "hardly ever spawns" and "there are other spawn points for the Annihilator which are easily accessible without the need to kill the Flying Rats, effectively rendering the helicopter as a reward useless".

:hfive:
I did the collectibles in San Andreas until I had a decent gun and armor at my various spawn points. That's all you need. GTAIV and V giving you horrible unlockables is just another symptom of the weird, unfun direction that series is going.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

ninjahedgehog posted:

You'll probably like Prototype 2 more. It takes away some of your options (there's no Power Rangers villian-esque armor mode anymore :(), but it streamlines and tightens up the hand-to-hand combat and gives you a hell of a lot more different types of enemies to fight. Plus, the protagonist is hilarious.

What?! How could they take out the Guyver mode?!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

RBX posted:

Playing Smash Run makes me want to smash my cartridge. Holy poo poo what a clusterfuck. It also faces me with my nemesis: Video Game Knockback

They really went too far with the collectibles. I hope they release some free "here are all the custom moves" dlc.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Rick_Hunter posted:

So do games like Minecraft bother you that there aren't any precise objectives? How about games like Crimsonland and its survival mode?
I've never played either (and don't know what Crimsonland is), but I gather that Minecraft is basically LEGO, you build stuff for the sake of building it. That's not really my thing, but it doesn't bother me. I like The Sims though. I guess you could say it does have objectives, but it's not like the sort of game where everything you do is specifically aimed at getting you to the objective.

Rick_Hunter posted:

It seems to me that what you like is nothing but the gameplay. When you play a game and the story tagline is 'Out of this world First-Person Shooter with never before seen abilities!", you want nothing but shooting in first person and to jump the gently caress around. You could care less if there were 100 side quests that let you find the root cause of the story they were trying to shoehorn into the game.

I play a lot of games for the story not necessarily to get to the end but to see how they tell that story through the gameplay. I already know the ending and I don't want to search every nook and cranny for 116 Buttgloss statues so I just look at a guide. Very rarely do I play a game that is just 'Game: The Game, feat. Gameplay'. If I bought a game that I do not particularly like and am stuck with it, I will use achievements to gauge how much theoretical gameplay I should get out of it but only to save money. Sometimes, though, achievements are just so unfun that I don't bother and I end up with a 100/1500 like on RE6.
I don't really know what you mean by this. One of the specific games I was thinking of is Deus Ex: Human Revolution. There are the main quests that you have to do to progress the story, and there are the side quests that you usually get by talking to some NPC. Some of those are pretty much impossible to miss because they're handed out by an NPC who goes out of their way to talk to you, but other ones are handed out only if you make a point of talking to a specific NPC, and if you do the main quests that take you out of that area without having talked to that NPC then you just miss them.

What that means is that in order to get to actually play all of the game, to not miss any quests, you pretty much have to try talking to every non-hostile NPC. And most of them have nothing of value to say. You don't know until you talk to them whether this will be one of the quest-related ones or just a background character you're not really meant to interact with. And no matter how careful you are, you can never be entirely sure if you actually managed to find all the side quests unless you check on the internet.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Mierenneuker posted:

GTA 5 gave you a slightly glowing buggy with a silly horn that was your ONLY copy of the car. If you broke or lost it before putting it in a garage hope you have a save just before you claimed it.
You had to collect 50 little spaceship parts scattered around the whole game world. On the top of bridges, on roofs, in the middle of no-where, the subway tunnels, etc. http://au.ign.com/wikis/gta-5/Spaceship_Parts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Tiggum, you must absolutely hate Alpha Protocol. It is literally impossible to see "everything" in a single playthrough.

Edit: and it is awesome.