Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Good course, gently caress significant time trial distances in a tour. Time trials are so dull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
Look how wrong that opinion is.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
He's right in a way, they're boring tv most of the time.

Clugg
Apr 21, 2005

The time trials themselves are boring, but they make the rest of the race more interesting. If there were no TTs then the podium would be nothing but tiny climbers, which would be funny in a way, but also kinda boring.

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
I like the discipline itself. I don't think it's too much to ask for it to be a decent length, it tests the riders pretty well, and diversifies the skillset the eventual winner has to have.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I think my ideal time trial would be a long flat bit to start and then at least a 12km climb to finish.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
TTT on a full mountain stage.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Fast and short ones where they're really on the edge of crashing are the only ones I'll watch anymore.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Clugg posted:

If there were no TTs then the podium would be nothing but tiny climbers,

When was the last time this wasn't the case. Riis?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Contador vs Quintana next year.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

How about this new team kit:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/photos/gallery-team-lottonl-jumbo-unveiled-in-utrecht/326842

Clugg
Apr 21, 2005

African AIDS cum posted:

When was the last time this wasn't the case. Riis?

Touché, although Evans/Wiggins/Nibali/Froome etc. aren't exactly the type of rider I'm talking about when I say "tiny climbers". You have to admit that it would be worse if the winner weren't also required to ride well outside of mountain stages.

Clugg fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Oct 24, 2014

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

Track cycling doesn't get more exhilarating than this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVQNlyYXqjg

quote:

Riders set off from turn four, and have to trackstand to ensure they do not cross the start/finish line until the bell rings.

“It has a couple different formats. [The trackstanding] can last a set time of either three or four minutes, or we can have a bell ring at an unknown time between three and four minutes.

Riders get eliminated if they put a foot down, grab the rail, ride off the track surface, fall or touch another rider or ride backwards during the trackstanding period.

At the end of this time, the ringing of a bell signifies the start of a sprint to crown the race winner.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

What a useful commentator.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

JingleBells posted:

That is great

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Thats brilliant. Blythe and Swift in particular just stood stock still for minutes.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Got tickets to the world cup in December but just found out I'm on call :negative:

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

JingleBells posted:

They do these at the velodrome here to warm up / when waiting for people to show up. It's a pretty relaxed/non structured track community here.

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

JingleBells posted:

That's cool, and it's kind of surprising how many of them gently caress it up.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

What do you think, can Daniel Lloyd beat Froome up Col de la Madone with an electric bike?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jV_X_017uY

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Um.......

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

That could make for some good celebrations, here's hoping someone like Sagan is in yellow for a bit.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Those drugs, too.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Lol that's actually real

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I get the feeling its going to get 'revised' before the start of the tour.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Haven't seen moobs and delts like that in yellow since Lance was around.

*puts on US Postal jersey and spins around the park at 100 rpm*

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Is what's Brandle's cadence toward the end here?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYqVdAI-1zw

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Bro's fading :(

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

He's got it!

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Big belgian doping scandal incoming.

:munch:

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

I hope this isn't that Italian game of shouting about doping rings from the roof tops then doing nothing about it.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Sounds like they've been working on it for some time. Dr. Merten's famous ozone blood treatments are sweeping the nation (or something).

Tom Meeusen and Jurgen Van den Broek are the only ones named. Too bad, I like them both.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

JVDB rode on US Postal.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Every man on a tour donated a half pint to the man on his left.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Jurgen just went in for a flu shot.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
This might explain a few of what would be considered strong riders not having teams for next year at least.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Team Sky's logistics base is located in

Belgium...

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Morton brothers sign for Jelly Belly: http://cyclingtips.com.au/2014/10/reunited-with-brother-gus-lachlan-morton-details-super-exciting-plans-for-2015/

The cynic in me says, Lachlan dropped down to US conti so he can have more time to gently caress off and race against lesser talent. On the other hand I understand some people can't handle the eurocentric lifestyle associated with WT (Betancur comes to mind). It's cool he gets to race with his brother.

African AIDS cum posted:

Team Sky's logistics base is located in

Belgium...

Trek Factory's service course is in Belgium. And OPQS. And a bunch of smaller conti teams. It's geographically convenient.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Nov 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

I think its more because of there being less protour teams due to mergers and teams folding. Brajkovic signed with United Healthcare as well.