Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Vedius Pollio posted:

Personally I've always read Berserk as centrally a gnostic tale about the characters living in a world that is inherently evil and exploitative on not only a societal, but on a natural, cosmological, and existential level. To me that was always the most interesting theme in the story, which is why I absolutely loved the Black Swordsman material, but I've been a little sour about seeing that shelved since Miura started whipping together his system of nature magic.
Oh god this. I almost stopped reading once I got to the elemental magic stuff, it just feels so... video game-y. My favorite part will always be the part which just revolves around a lone dude struggling through this bleak, grimy shithole of a world where the supernatural is a decidedly anti-human force. I don't care about little girl magician and/or the other members of an RPG party learning to use their cool elemental weapons or whatever the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Unacknowledged posted:

Guts has REALLY seen some stuff and definitely has some clear mental damage as a result, but has he lost the ability to communicate?

Prior to forming his DnD party? Pretty much, yeah.

IronicDongz posted:

Oh god this. I almost stopped reading once I got to the elemental magic stuff, it just feels so... video game-y. My favorite part will always be the part which just revolves around a lone dude struggling through this bleak, grimy shithole of a world where the supernatural is a decidedly anti-human force. I don't care about little girl magician and/or the other members of an RPG party learning to use their cool elemental weapons or whatever the gently caress

You're boring.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

IronicDongz posted:

Yeah it's really bad now but that's the kind of manga that people really like to read and sells well in magazines so

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

IronicDongz posted:

How dare you not like Serpico! Arrumph!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Casca regressing into a childlike state could have been written better (along with Guts' reaction to it and the necessity of taking care of a former equal who's now an invalid) but the only thing about it that really annoys me is the Skull Knight going "oh well maybe this is for the best."

Then again if the outcome of Ganishka's death throes are anything to go by the Skull Knight is kind of a dumbass anyways. :v:

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
It's really sick how it's been over 300 chapters and they still haven't explained what is going on with the Skull Knight and how he can eat a million Behelits

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Why could a dude called Skull Knight not eat a bunch of hard boiled eggs

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
I think Caska's mind state goes back to her saying that if the Hawks were to disband, she would disappear. Guts treated Caska the way Griffith treated him. I see Caska as a junior Guts and Guts and Griffith are basically the same. They are all reflections of each other, just in different presentations.

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

It's really sick how it's been over 300 chapters and they still haven't explained what is going on with the Skull Knight and how he can eat a million Behelits
It's cooler when you don't know.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
What's there to know, really? He is in some way related to a historical character in the story, is the former bearer of the berserker's armor, and seemingly on a first-name basis with the God Hand. All he's actually done is demonstrated the power of ~causality~ by loving up in the most spectacular way possible (High Fantasy-nuking the world), and I think that will remain his biggest contribution to the story (aside from whisking Guts and Casca away from the eclipse which was allowed by the malevolent forces of the universe because reasons).

That said, Skull Knight owns.

Re: said high fantasy, I really enjoy how Miura completely owns his pulpy '70s fantasy influences

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013

Say Nothing posted:

I'm still wondering whether Griffith is going to sacrifice everyone in his magic city to become Uber-God.
I can't think of a reason that would work, except maybe it would be like Ganishka double-dipping and becoming a super-apostle.
Or maybe he'll just do it for the sake of being evil.
Griffith: "Mwuhahaha!"

Well Griffith's goal from the beginning was to be a king, and now he's finally got it. Sacrificing Falconia & everybody in it would be sacrificing his dream, that has to count for something.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
The skull knight has powers that he probably didn't get from demons and no one knows if he has a corporeal form. He is my hero.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
After re-reading this series over a couple of days on a whim, the most unsettling thing is how Varnese goes from insane chick masturbating while burning people alive during the Tower arc (Best Arc), to being the bumbling nursemaid for Casca. It seemed like a natural transition when the content was spread out over years, but it actually occurs pretty quickly in terms of chapters.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Unacknowledged posted:

Guts has REALLY seen some stuff and definitely has some clear mental damage as a result, but has he lost the ability to communicate? It's really, really stupid.

"Some" mental damage? Dude spent a fair while almost physically incapable of doing anything but getting really angry and killing poo poo as a result of the Eclipse. He didn't get hosed up quite as bad as Casca but it took another major shock to bring him back to anything approaching "functional" and he still hasn't fully bounced back.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

How dare you not like Serpico! Arrumph!

He was way cooler when he was just a bad rear end fencer who was smart about picking his fights rather than "guy who can kinda fly and has a weirdo wind sword thing"

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Zasze posted:

He was way cooler when he was just a bad rear end fencer who was smart about picking his fights rather than "guy who can kinda fly and has a weirdo wind sword thing"

Giving Serpico a magic sword is what would happen if you gave Alexander the Great a fleet of tanks and knowledge how to use them.

Namely, the same thing that happens when you shoot fish in a barrel. Gleeful, one-sided battle.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

After re-reading this series over a couple of days on a whim, the most unsettling thing is how Varnese goes from insane chick masturbating while burning people alive during the Tower arc (Best Arc), to being the bumbling nursemaid for Casca. It seemed like a natural transition when the content was spread out over years, but it actually occurs pretty quickly in terms of chapters.

Ummm yeah every adult woman in the series is completely infantilized and the women with real power are sexy little children

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

The skull knight has powers that he probably didn't get from demons and no one knows if he has a corporeal form. He is my hero.
I may have just been bitching about the direction the series took(and could a lot more really), but I have nothing bad to say about Skull Knight. I am totally fine with some dude with bitchin skull armor coming in and being hard as gently caress for no explained reason, the actual only thing I wish is that he wasn't on a horse all the time because I don't like the 'look' of characters fighting from horseback as much I guess

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
I disagree and I'm really excited for when he illustrates the Skull Knight back story for 3 years instead of continuing the plotline because it's going to be sick

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

IronicDongz posted:

I may have just been bitching about the direction the series took(and could a lot more really), but I have nothing bad to say about Skull Knight. I am totally fine with some dude with bitchin skull armor coming in and being hard as gently caress for no explained reason, the actual only thing I wish is that he wasn't on a horse all the time because I don't like the 'look' of characters fighting from horseback as much I guess

It's not armor, that's his body. It's implied that he was the previous user of the Berserker armor and that it warped his body.

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
Wrote something but deleted it because honestly I'm more interested in where the series is going than where it has been. On the issue of not being able to get past the rape, this story is definitely not for everyone, panel 1 of Guts banging a demon and blowing its head off should be a good indication of that.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
This is the only manga i've ever read that I actually liked

It's so good. I read the whole thing in one big long stretch some year ago and by then it was up to where that monster sultan guy transforms into some huge fuckoff giant or whatever. Then I paused. I have no idea what happened to the sultan and griffith yet

I'm thinking of reading it again, are there plenty of new chapters since that story or should I wait another few years?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bloodyshinta1 posted:

Wrote something but deleted it because honestly I'm more interested in where the series is going than where it has been. On the issue of not being able to get past the rape, this story is definitely not for everyone, panel 1 of Guts banging a demon and blowing its head off should be a good indication of that.

Everyone here meaning the same as it does for GoT: pussies.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Bloodyshinta1 posted:

The story has clearly evolved over time though. Pre-flashback is pretty different from the rest for example.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Genocyber posted:

Everyone here meaning the same as it does for GoT: pussies.

I enjoy both those series and can still confidently say that's a really dumb assessment.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Zzulu posted:

It's so good. I read the whole thing in one big long stretch some year ago and by then it was up to where that monster sultan guy transforms into some huge fuckoff giant or whatever. Then I paused. I have no idea what happened to the sultan and griffith yet

I'm thinking of reading it again, are there plenty of new chapters since that story or should I wait another few years?

You can always re-read Berserk: pretty much everyone in this thread did several times while waiting for new chapters. I say go for it.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

Unacknowledged posted:

I understand it's a pretty traumatic experience, but we've seen several other characters deal with extreme situations like the eclipse (though without the prolonged rape scene) and they all seem to cope pretty well. Guts has REALLY seen some stuff and definitely has some clear mental damage as a result, but has he lost the ability to communicate? It's really, really stupid.

You really can't compare Guts to anyone else in series, or vice versa. The best comparison to Guts is probably Robert E. Howard's Conan the Barbarian. Conan was born on a battlefield and that is repeatedly shown to be an indicator of his fate. He is from a culture of warriors from the barren north which worships a god that does nothing but grant them strength at birth and judge them at death. Conan himself is based on the historical figure Erik the Red, aka Erik Bloodaxe, who killed an older boy with an axe before he broke double digits. His name didn't even have anything to do with that incident.

Anyway as Conan was born on a battlefield and everyone around knew that to be an omen he was fated to a life of war, which was pretty accurate. Kentarou Miura was obviously at least a little influenced by Howard. By Guts' birth, he was not only born on a battlefield but also from a corpse. I think him being picked up by a mercenary and his adopted mother dieing early is just recreating the kind of environment Conan grew up in and trying to make it worse any little way it can to forge a better badass. The peculiar nature of his birth is just a sign of what was to come, and who he is.

Guts is a monster, but how could a man born of death and battle, raised in death and battle, who has really known very little outside of death and battle be anything but a monster?

Further comparisons? Both are massive masters of massive swords, both tend to gather small bands around them they don't really want, and both of them initially quested after the supernatural madmen that ruined their lives, and killed entire populations worth of things and people along the way.

Metal Pink Babble
Mar 31, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

temple posted:

I think Guts lived because he and Caska were either outside of fate thus could be saved or they didn't belong in the Eclipse so they were able to escape. Guts was too independent and had already left. Caska was protected by the others so she carry on or maybe go with Guts. I think everything worked out as it was meant, by whatever force in the setting.

Griffith isn't a bad guy IMO. He's like the king Midland deserves and yadda yadda yadda. I rewatched the anime over the summer and came to the realization that Griffith didn't want to sacrifice Guts. When Griffith fled and found the behelit for a second time, he saw Guts come to rescue him. He said in his mind 'Don't come near or we will never ....' but his tongue was cut out. I always saw that that scene as Griffith's pride not wanting Guts to help and being cradled cause him to go over the edge. I think now that Griffith knew he was lost and he knew Guts was going to be sucked into the Eclipse if Guts was a true friend to him.

I think Griffith/Femto is playing out the role set by citizens of Midland and the Godhand. He is detached because he isn't himself. He's like Guts if the wars stopped. It is hard to believe that Griffith the man wanted to win as much as he wanted to compete. That maybe is why Griffith visited Guts to see if the feeling of love was still there. I think the hope that Guts would return is what preserved him while imprisoned and when presented with an "alternative" hope by the Godhand, he choose to the contrary. Griffith was an user but also being used by those around him. He didn't just sacrifice the Band of the Hawks, he gave up his own humanity to make sure their deaths weren't in vain.

I used to struggle with the exact nature of Griffith's admiration of Guts and if was it homosexual on some level. But now, I feel that Griffith was just lonely and drained from being put upon. Guts was the first person that Griffith could count on, not just as a soldier, but as someone who could help him achieve his dream. A lot of the story shows Guts being fixated on Griffith but prior to the Eclipse, we were briefly shown that Griffith was actually fixated on Guts too. It is a real mind flip to think of how the Hawks and Midland all depended on Griffith but Griffith was depending on Guts. We know what happened the minute Guts left. We know what happened to the Hawks the minute Griffith left. They were a pair but I think Guts was never aware of Griffith's feelings for him. There was a curious infatuation by Griffith but those feelings was the only indication of Griffith's feelings until his imprisonment. Griffith didn't show any affection for anyone else also, so his actions towards Guts stands out even more.

Metal Pink Babble
Mar 31, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Zzulu posted:

the monster inside me grew this big and maybe u should wait until 年2016

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

IronicDongz posted:

I agree, but honestly, there hasn't been all that much of that, really. I mean, have we even followed them for a couple of years?

Metal Pink Babble
Mar 31, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Darko posted:

I agree, but honestly, there hasn't been all that much of that, really. I mean, have we even followed them for a couple of years?

i wont be happy until Miura is pensioned and drawing pension and what he wants, not appealing to mercantile gratification and pandering to lbrand, publisher. and label.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Metal Pink Babble posted:

i wont be happy until Miura is pensioned and drawing pension and what he wants, not appealing to mercantile gratification and pandering to lbrand, publisher. and label.

same

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Do you have to type obnoxiously or are you doing it for fun?

BlackCircle
Oct 21, 2005

I did Nazi that butt coming

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

My theory on this was that she was actually always a kind of bumbling person. She is the leader of the Knights of the Holy Iron Chain merely because of her father and because its an army that rarely sees heavy combat. She gets a lot of things fixed for her because of her family name or because Serpico is always around her to fix the issue. Honestly she would probably be dead if not for Serpico since at the end of the Hidden Valley arc Guts comes within about 2 feet of implaing his sword into her but Serpico stabs him.

When she gives up all of her titles and family ties to go chase after Guts after the Tower it really shows that shes not actually all that cut out for life without her connections. However she has grown quite a lot since then into one of the only people that Casca trusts.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I enjoy both those series and can still confidently say that's a really dumb assessment.

It's similar to GoT because it's dumb, set in medieval fantasy times,never going to end, and gets progressively worse the more magic they put in it

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

what he wants to draw is Idolm@ster doujins I'm pretty sure he hates his own series now

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've heard that he likes Idolm@ster, hates his own series, is at death's door, loves griffith, is pressured into corrupting the tone of a 26 year old series, and all sorts of other hosed up poo poo. How about you guys?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

I've heard that he likes Idolm@ster, hates his own series, is at death's door, loves griffith, is pressured into corrupting the tone of a 26 year old series, and all sorts of other hosed up poo poo. How about you guys?

Only one of those things is true and I wish more were

Pleiades
Aug 20, 2006
Well, Skullknight.net might be able to shed more light on Miura once they get some interviews translated. They have a patreon campaign going on where the more they get, the more interviews/other works are translated.

http://www.patreon.com/sknet

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I was feeling pretty good tonight, so I decided to read some more Berserk.

Did Guts just get loving raped?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Butt Ghost posted:

I was feeling pretty good tonight, so I decided to read some more Berserk.

Did Guts just get loving raped?

Welcome to Berserk!