Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

Also, I made a video of my journey getting an Orc named "Dush" to Warchief
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atWRu6SGK8g

This made me laugh way more than it should have, thank you.

Shadow of Mordor is a really fun game that came out of nowhere for me and I'm really looking forward to see what comes next with the nemesis system. There's something about the way the game makes just enough of a story for me to fill in the blanks (hilariously like this or otherwise) and just lets me do whatever that really scratches a gaming itch for me.

Outside of the traditional main storyline of course, which yeah it also has but I don't know if anybody plays it for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

InfiniteZero posted:

This made me laugh way more than it should have, thank you.

Shadow of Mordor is a really fun game that came out of nowhere for me and I'm really looking forward to see what comes next with the nemesis system. There's something about the way the game makes just enough of a story for me to fill in the blanks (hilariously like this or otherwise) and just lets me do whatever that really scratches a gaming itch for me.

Outside of the traditional main storyline of course, which yeah it also has but I don't know if anybody plays it for that.

Shadows of Mordor has both the best and worst story. The actual main plotline is so generic and boring, just like a ton of other AAA releases. The ongoing ingame story of Tallion vs. Army of Orcs, though, is straight up amazing. The Nemesis system really does work as advertised, you'll learn to loathe certain Orcs, and they'll loathe you right back.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Asema posted:

Actually did you know you have 120 days after enlisting to back out of the military? You sign a contract and civilian law says that you can get out of any contract within 120 days. It's why a lot of people drop out of boot camp and it's not a problem. It's a volunteer service and you still have time to change your mind!

The floating star thing should go here.

I don't know if that's entirely true. After MEPS you're placed in DEP to wait your ship off date. You can request out at any point because you technically haven't sworn in. On your ship out you officially swear in and begin to receive pay at which point you are part of the military.

What's-her-name in Gone Home left presumably after this point. And best she'll get an Other Than Honorable which won't be the death of her in the mid-90s but still sucks on any background check.

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Surely the only thing that needs to be said about Polygon is that they employ Ben Kuchera?

This didn't get enough love on the last page.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Twibbit posted:

7.5 is a bad score now?

It has been a bad score for years

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

al-azad posted:

I don't know if that's entirely true. After MEPS you're placed in DEP to wait your ship off date. You can request out at any point because you technically haven't sworn in. On your ship out you officially swear in and begin to receive pay at which point you are part of the military.

What's-her-name in Gone Home left presumably after this point. And best she'll get an Other Than Honorable which won't be the death of her in the mid-90s but still sucks on any background check.

I'm just going off this lazy piece of poo poo who went to boot camp, told everybody how much he was for the military and then came back when he was at his technical school because he couldn't handle it. Like he had hired a lawyer to argue about backing out of the contract and they just let him go with a general discharge. I'm not an expert and that's how he explained it to me v:shobon:v

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Asema posted:

I'm just going off this lazy piece of poo poo who went to boot camp, told everybody how much he was for the military and then came back when he was at his technical school because he couldn't handle it. Like he had hired a lawyer to argue about backing out of the contract and they just let him go with a general discharge. I'm not an expert and that's how he explained it to me v:shobon:v

It's an interesting case because I'm pretty sure service members can't bring the military to court. At least I do know you and your family can't sue.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they were just fed up with him and decided it wasn't worth paying this guy anymore. Administration can move icebergs if they want but they move just as slow.

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar

Probad posted:

This didn't get enough love on the last page.

Agreed, let's all continue to quote it some more so we can revel in how much we hate the evil game journalist who once slandered these very forums.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
No, Ben Kuchera is mocked because he's a dope with unexamined opinions who thinks he's very intelligent and regularly says boneheaded, moronic poo poo.

Apparently he's a very nice man in person, though, which is why Polygon hired him after he tanked his previous website.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

He's like my electrician. He's absolute poo poo at wiring and things, but super nice dude.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

bomblol posted:

Agreed, let's all continue to quote it some more so we can revel in how much we hate the evil game journalist who once slandered these very forums.

Downvotes? Really?

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

No, Ben Kuchera is mocked because he's a dope with unexamined opinions who thinks he's very intelligent and regularly says boneheaded, moronic poo poo.

Apparently he's a very nice man in person, though, which is why Polygon hired him after he tanked his previous website.

Maybe, but calling for "love" for a comment is a bit circlejerky for my tastes.

PhilippAchtel fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 23, 2014

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

al-azad posted:

If you want to do government work. They're lesbians in the mid-90s living in the northwest. They're going to move to Portland and bartend and play in punk bands, which is actually an awesome ending now that I think about it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Everyone talks about the lesbian sister in Gone Home, but where are the parents?

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Aphrodite posted:

Everyone talks about the lesbian sister in Gone Home, but where are the parents?

At a couples therapy resort, you find out about it in the greenhouse. Parents are trying to fight off a divorce because neither are happy with each other.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Oh, that makes sense.

Whenever my parents go away they always let me know by burying a note under some begonias. I keep forgetting to get the key from the ritual sacrifice closet first though.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Gone Home sounds like an interesting game.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Samurai Sanders posted:

it's really not

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Bayonetta is funny campy satire and anyone who gets worked up about review scores should be tossed in the ocean, Pix the Cat is still good, peace.

ShankyMcStabber
Mar 9, 2012

I spend way too much money on computer parts.

al-azad posted:

It's an interesting case because I'm pretty sure service members can't bring the military to court. At least I do know you and your family can't sue.

I seem to recall they changed part of that about 10 or 15 years ago.

Service members can not sue but family members can. I think it had to do with the fact a service member agrees to certain limitations when they enlist but their family never signs a contract agreeing to those limitations.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Aphrodite posted:

Oh, that makes sense.

Whenever my parents go away they always let me know by burying a note under some begonias. I keep forgetting to get the key from the ritual sacrifice closet first though.

I mean, I'm not defending Gone Home or anything but the main character you play with comes home a week earlier than expected and doesn't try to tell the parents until she's at the airport. I'd say it's not the brightest move for a teenager but it sounds about right.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's very short but not nearly as bad as goons make it sound. I wouldn't pay more than $5 for it though.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's not a game I'd pay more than a couple of dollars for, but it's got atmosphere, nostalgia and melancholy in droves

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

big mean giraffe posted:

It's very short but not nearly as bad as goons make it sound. I wouldn't pay more than $5 for it though.

it's got some good atmospheric tension at the start of the game when you think boo scares might happen, the sound design is also real good and the movement is nice. everything else is hit or miss and yeah 5$ is what i'd pay for it.

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol
I must seriously suck at Peggle, I can't beat the "get over 500,000" score mission on the Unicorns group of challenges. I try long shots but they never seem to register, am I just doing it wrong?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The most interesting thing about Gone Home is that it's the story of a family healing and the black sheep that wants nothing to do with it. When you analyze all the pieces of the plot the title character is actually a spoiled brat.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Bro Nerd Alpha posted:

I must seriously suck at Peggle, I can't beat the "get over 500,000" score mission on the Unicorns group of challenges. I try long shots but they never seem to register, am I just doing it wrong?

you know a long shot has to bounce off of and then land on two non-blue pegs, right?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

There is nothing gone home can provide for you that wouldn't be better if you just read a short story or something.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
News: Unfinished Swan is out next week for PS4, and Geometry Wars 3 is actually getting a PS4 release and is out in November.

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011
Sony just confirmed the 2.0 Firmware is coming out on the 28th:

@Playstation posted:

PS4's next software update, Masamune, will be available on 10/28. Includes Share Play, USB Music player, and more!

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/525361057154736128

snuff
Jul 16, 2003
I can't believe people are excited about USB music player, really? Plugging a USB stick into your console in 2014?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Rest in peace, all the USB sticks that were destroyed in the USB stickocalypse of 2013, I guess.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Aishan posted:

gently caress yes. I'm mostly excited about themes.

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar

PantsBandit posted:

There is nothing gone home can provide for you that wouldn't be better if you just read a short story or something.

Unless you've considered that games can be about things besides shooting aliens and climbing up buildings and don't mind experiencing storytelling in a different format than usual. I have no idea why it is so hard to accept that other people can like different things. I would rather watch a swashbuckling errol flynn movie than bore myself with another 10 minutes of AC4, but that doesn't mean its literally the worst awful thing ever that no one should like.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Aishan posted:

Yessss. Themes, folders and share play.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

snuff posted:

I can't believe people are excited about USB music player, really? Plugging a USB stick into your console in 2014?
Seriously. In TYOOL 2014 I cannot loving stream my music from my computer which is located approximately 1 millisecond away from my PS4 via ethernet? And we still have no PLEX app or any DLNA front end?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Syrinxx posted:

Seriously. In TYOOL 2014 I cannot loving stream my music from my computer which is located approximately 1 millisecond away from my PS4 via ethernet? And we still have no PLEX app or any DLNA front end?

they probably expect you to have other ways to listen to music in TYOOL 2014 and/or don't care if you hate the music in the games that you already paid them for.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Pretty sure that's why the USB player exists. It's a cop out until they figure out DLNA.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Athenry posted:

Yessss. Themes, folders and share play.
Folders? Does this mean that I can put home screen apps that I've never used once in 11 months of owning the system and have no intention of ever using like Video Unlimited, Music Unlimited, The Playroom and Live From PlayStation into a folder and never have to see them again?

That's probably wishful thinking but that'd be rad.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Folders? Does this mean that I can put home screen apps that I've never used once in 11 months of owning the system and have no intention of ever using like Video Unlimited, Music Unlimited, The Playroom and Live From PlayStation into a folder and never have to see them again?

That's probably wishful thinking but that'd be rad.

the list will now only hold 15 recent items and everything else goes into a custom library

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

bomblol posted:

Unless you've considered that games can be about things besides shooting aliens and climbing up buildings and don't mind experiencing storytelling in a different format than usual. I have no idea why it is so hard to accept that other people can like different things. I would rather watch a swashbuckling errol flynn movie than bore myself with another 10 minutes of AC4, but that doesn't mean its literally the worst awful thing ever that no one should like.

You're assuming an awful lot about me bud.

Video games can tell stories well Gone Home just doesn't. You walk around and click on things and get a short voiceover. When all is said and done it tells a pretty thin story. So yeah, reading a book would be just as effective.

Also I'm not saying it's the worst poo poo ever just that, obviously in my opinion, it's a waste of time.

• Locked thread