Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Xander77 posted:

Are the gifts dropping again, or is it just that the Halloween stuff is re-enabled without server commands?

(And if the gifts are dropping, which ones are the most valuable?)

If you're looking for trading fodder, avoid 2013 (helltower) At least last year that stuff was untradable for some stupid reason. I think 2012 (Lakeside with Merasmus and Wheel of Fortune) has the best drops for trading. Lots of miscs, spell effects are cool and there are some sweet sets, fairy heavy being one of the best. 2011 had a smaller drop pool, but there are some good costume sets there too. The presents drop in "first come, first serve" basis on 2011 so be warned.

Btw, is there going to be some goon server set up for mainly drop/achievement grinding? I have prety much all that I want from old events but newer players might have trouble with some things on random servers, particularly killing Merasmus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
I meant to try a bunch of events last ngiht but ended up screwing around in helltower for ages. Haunting snipers during the end phase is great fun. Anyone know how I get more pages for my spellbook? I found an empty spellbook and captured the last point in a bunch of games but it remains empty :negative:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Brasseye posted:

I meant to try a bunch of events last ngiht but ended up screwing around in helltower for ages. Haunting snipers during the end phase is great fun. Anyone know how I get more pages for my spellbook? I found an empty spellbook and captured the last point in a bunch of games but it remains empty :negative:

Spellbook pages are one of the things you can get from the presents that spawn occasionally in Helltower.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

boo_radley posted:

and whatever that godawful special delivery map is that nobody ever plays, ever.
Doomsday is fun and I'm sad they haven't made any more Special Delivery maps. Chalk that up under "Good ideas that get added then abandoned."

sd_gloomsday

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
What are the customizers that drop in helltower? I got one but it's not in my inventory.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Note to players who are looking for spellbook pages and other stuff that come from the present boxes:

The presents (and bosses) only appear when there's enough players on the server. I think the required minimum is 6 players or so. So no loot grinding by yourself on an empty server.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

IncendiaC posted:

Some of the 2013 drops (like the bird heads) have extra voice lines and are amazing. The Haunted Hat and the Second Opinion are my personal favourites.

Scary Hat is my favorite hat in the whole game.

"We did it, scary hat!! We did it together." :3:

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Laputanmachine posted:

Note to players who are looking for spellbook pages and other stuff that come from the present boxes:

The presents (and bosses) only appear when there's enough players on the server. I think the required minimum is 6 players or so. So no loot grinding by yourself on an empty server.

Is there a limit too? Tied to your normal drop amount per week?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Jusupov posted:

Is there a limit too? Tied to your normal drop amount per week?

It's not tied to your normal drops, and if I recall someone worked out how to game it; something about playing for two minutes, collecting it and then ignoring the game for an hour maybe?

edit: would it be that loving hard for quickplay to stop seeing servers if there is less then 5 minutes on the clock ffs

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

I hope this year's Hallowe'en map is just koth_sawmill_event with the ghost going hog wild spooking people. Harvest was the best Scream Fortress

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

CoolCab posted:

It's not tied to your normal drops, and if I recall someone worked out how to game it; something about playing for two minutes, collecting it and then ignoring the game for an hour maybe?

edit: would it be that loving hard for quickplay to stop seeing servers if there is less then 5 minutes on the clock ffs

I don't think it's an hour now. Played a bunch in the morning and took a break. Haven't seen any in helltower or lakeside.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

oddium posted:

I hope this year's Hallowe'en map is just koth_sawmill_event with the ghost going hog wild spooking people. Harvest was the best Scream Fortress

Yeah reloading Helltower reminded me that Helltower is an awful map. It fixes exactly one thing wrong with Hightower (the backsliding carts) while adding a large number of serious issues; Snipers have a sight line that sees almost the entire map by standing on top of the large healthkit building, spells make everyone dramatically more lethal while the respawn times are still very long, literally nothing that happens during the tower section of the map matters in the slightest towards the outcome of the game because overheal doesn't do poo poo against lava (or any other instakill) and anyone with two functioning braincells comes equipped with something that causes knockback. The breaking strategy is (was, maybe they fixed it) to wait in spawn with a quickfix uber.

Bring on Booculus.

Pickle dicker
May 25, 2014

by XyloJW
I was just on a lakeside event server that had that spellbook dropping thing enabled, and turned up to 100% (so every death drops a spell) :catstare:
This is already the best Halloween event yet and it's still a week away

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

For a long long time, I've had a website that works similarly to backpack.tf (no where near as good looking though) but it displays TF2 items you DON'T have. I used it when I was heavily into TF2 trading and trying to collect all of the hats in the game, before they added the most recent 150 hats and completely shattered my expectations.

I "finished" adding all the features I wanted to, and in some sort of pseudo "might as well release it!" I figured I would bring it up here.

If you're interested in seeing if you've got all the weapons, all the hats, or all the Halloween pieces, you might find this useful.

The site is https://www.missing.tf

I predict I will be using it to keep track of all the new Halloween costumes when they drop, and figured maybe one or two of you might want to as well.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Just played a round on lakeside_event trying to get spells and I had a spy scarecrow face drop. Neat that they're dropping from last year's thousand cosmetics instead of those stupid souls.

What the hell, the voodoo souls are awesome.

Collateral Damage posted:

Doomsday is fun and I'm sad they haven't made any more Special Delivery maps. Chalk that up under "Good ideas that get added then abandoned."

sd_gloomsday

I genuinely hope its Doomsday too, it can be a pretty fun map if there are zero minisentries, and its gimmicky enough for tf2 halloween. Please Valve, I simply want anything apart from loving 2fort.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Oct 23, 2014

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Collateral Damage posted:

sd_gloomsday

No no no. sd_boosday.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Slime posted:

No no no. sd_boosday.

That's the Cinco de Mayo custom map.

Magypsy
Apr 2, 2010

People call me Pine! (Pine!)
Eastern Venus Space Police.
If there's slime, (There's slime!)
Involved in a crime, (Bad crime!)
We'll clean them up on the beat! (The beat!)

If Valve would only add one Halloween item this year, it has to be this. Please. :pray:

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Slime posted:

No no no. sd_boosday.

CoolCab posted:

That's the Cinco de Mayo custom map.

:rimshot:

I am hoping for cp_dustboowl myself, but as long as spells are active I'll be happy with whatever.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Magypsy posted:

If Valve would only add one Halloween item this year, it has to be this. Please. :pray:

Well, that's the dumbest thing.

I will take 5.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

khwarezm posted:

it can be a pretty fun map if there are zero minisentries

The same can be said of many maps.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
I started playing CS:GO last week. They have stickers that you can put on weapons.

Hats for guns.

I need these on heavy's minigun, on the barrel so they spin around when I fire. Maybe on baby sentry as well. Please Valve, I'll buy 10!

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Brasseye posted:

The same can be said of many maps.

Hey, I can't help it if mini-sentries are a balance mire that can effectively ruin every KOTH map in the game.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

CoolCab posted:

Bring on Booculus.

koth_spookleus :allears:

I wonder if they'd consider throwing community-made halloween maps into the game alongside the fancy yearly valve-produced one. Just adding them to the Halloween map rotation and enabling presents on them or something, without any big fancy boss or new spell mechanics.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Why did they forget to add the voodoo-cursed item crafting thing, if they were gonna make voodoo-cursed items a drop on lakeside_event? I've got a bunch of cursed items and I want to craft them. Custom blueprint doesn't seem to work either.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Gabriel Pope posted:

Some people regard scrambling as an admission of weakness and failure--they'd rather stick it out and see how far they can get "on their own" than admit that they need a few teammates who can pull their own weight. They're dumb, but I can kind of see their point of view. I get more annoyed than I ought to when someone calls for a scramble in a game that my team is narrowly losing.
Votescramble also restarts the map timer, voting "no" is preferable to finding a new server. But I vote no mostly for the reason you stated; stick it out and wait for an auto-scramble you big baby. Besides, unnecessary votescrambles are really annoying.

Is someone from Valve's TF2 Team still reading this thread? I was blathering on about how badly Valve servers needed a vote option for class limits; 2 weeks later they added one. Regrettably their option limits combat classes, making it worse than no class limits at all. So thank god that vote is disabled by default. C'mon Valve. No one is complaining about too many soldiers and heavies on their team. It's the spies and snipers and engies that make people want to leave or switch teams. Playing a combat class is very unfun when the other team has 3x as many combat classes as yours.

The simple solution is class limits for support classes only. :eng101: (And obviously never limit medic.)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

cp_granalprobe
pl_boowater
pl_ghoulrush

Maps that already exist. :colbert:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
cp_worselands

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
boo_hydro

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

When are they gonna add some kind of optional halloween mode checkbox or something so I can pal around with my brain maggot forever?

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
You could always try using an Eternaween thingy, or if you know the guy who runs the server, get him to bung "tf_forced_holiday 2" into his server config or the console. I honestly think these days all items should be allowable at all times and instead there should be a console command to turn them off client side, or force them off on the server for competitive stuff. (hypothetically tf_show_items 1=none 2=not halloween 0=all items)

QwertySanchez fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Oct 23, 2014

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

khwarezm posted:

Hey, I can't help it if mini-sentries are a balance mire that can effectively ruin every KOTH map in the game.

Seems like they ruin my fun every time I play scout :( but I can kind of appreciate that theyre useful on some maps. Anyone using them on king of the hill needs to be put to death though.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

I can understand restricting some of the more silhouette-skewing items, but depriving me of my Dead Little Buddy is a stark crime and frankly Valve should be put away

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I'd be more sympathetic to the whole silhouette argument if not for the fact that there are a bajillion non-halloween silhouette-loving items

edit: just change the halloween only property to one like pyrovision where if you have an item with it equipped you can see other items that have the same property.

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Oct 23, 2014

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I suspect the halloween-only property has a lot to do with the fact that you can get costume items for free and there would be less demand for items from Mann Co if everyone could get a million cool cosmetic items by poopsocking during Halloween.

Pickle dicker
May 25, 2014

by XyloJW

Otacon posted:

If you're interested in seeing if you've got all the weapons, all the hats, or all the Halloween pieces, you might find this useful.

The site is https://www.missing.tf

I predict I will be using it to keep track of all the new Halloween costumes when they drop, and figured maybe one or two of you might want to as well.

all those festive stranges :negative:

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Ah. I see I can put that Sentry Quad-Pumpkins spell on my Gunslinger. :downs:

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

oddium posted:

I can understand restricting some of the more silhouette-skewing items, but depriving me of my Dead Little Buddy is a stark crime and frankly Valve should be put away

yeah. When I saw someone running around with it I just quit out to the marketplace on the spot.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Why aren't there Spooky weapon reskins alongside Festive ones, gaben

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
obviously there are spells but I can't bring myself to care when those are only enabled during halloween. I want spooky scary stuff all year round dammit half the halloween stuff doesn't break with the "look" of tf2 any more than festives(or of course crazy unusuals)

• Locked thread