Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Easy: Add a tiny 20 second science corner on how using MC Hammer references skews polls.

e: haha i guess i can lie after all, that'll teach me to post at 5 am local time
vvvvvvvvvvvv

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Oct 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
You mean Sir Mix-a-Lot, right? :v:

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
That's about as shameful as it gets.

Also, I want two videos because it lets me take my time without having the same YouTube tab open for a week.

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013
I don't mind long episodes for the grand finale.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Sir Mix-A-Lot it rightfully is.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Oh, I mentioned about this much earlier in the thread... My friend has finished his book on conspiracy theories and you now have the opportunity to purchase it, should you wish: https://www.pledgeme.co.nz/projects/2544

You'll notice that he's trying to fundraise to get to a conference in Florida from our rear end-end of the world, but the price of the book on the pledge list is the same as what it will be instore/online after the fact. While I'm plugging his stuff, I'll throw a link to his podcast, too: http://all-embracing.episto.org/podcast/

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009
I had failed to follow the thread for a bit, and got caught up today, so it may simply be a reading comprehension failure on my part, but is the use of the spy drone as an impromptu cruise missile an intended functionality or what we might term "emergent gameplay"? Can it be used on partly/wholly organic enemies?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Man your videos are already real drat long anyway, and one of the biggest benefits of modern video is being able to pause and play whenever the hell you want. I say go for the one big one.

Five
Jan 6, 2009

I'm all for one long one.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

I love big videos almost as much as I love an excuse to buy beer n' chips and watching great LPs on my TV. And now you're telling me I can have both?

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
You other brothers can't deny that one big video's just so fly :v:

Yeah I am actually okay for a single long video if only because I actually do care about the flow of things a lot more. I do however appreciate you giving us the choice here, hell it's even three choices for the final vid how fitting! :haw:

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Long Video, Best Video

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

FinalGamer posted:

You other brothers can't deny that one big video's just so fly :v:

Yeah I am actually okay for a single long video if only because I actually do care about the flow of things a lot more. I do however appreciate you giving us the choice here, hell it's even three choices for the final vid how fitting! :haw:

Turns out it was a false choice, though, when the final update arrives and all three choices end up happening.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

The fourth, hidden, choice blows the LP up.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
Not that I doubt you because Area 51 before for aliens is incredibly ridiculous but where did you learn what it was really for? I'm actually really interested in that because I thought the whole "thing" with Area 51 was that the government wouldn't even acknowledge that it existed at all.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
e: double post

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Not that I doubt you because Area 51 before for aliens is incredibly ridiculous but where did you learn what it was really for? I'm actually really interested in that because I thought the whole "thing" with Area 51 was that the government wouldn't even acknowledge that it existed at all.

Like with most things there have been leaks over the years, along with declassified information with redacted gaps that investigators and interested scientists can fill in with a little guessing. More to the point, however, the CIA officially recognized the existence of Area 51 as of last year.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Also it's hard to hide the existence of an enormous stretch of countryside that no one is allowed to enter.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Richard Muller explains the physics behind the Roswell incident in a very entertaining and easy to understand way in this video lecture. It really makes the whole incident completely understandable and makes me wonder why this information isn't more widely known about.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

paragon1 posted:

Also it's hard to hide the existence of an enormous stretch of countryside that no one is allowed to enter.

Also, google maps. People figured out it was in Groome Lake, Nevada in like 2005.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Skeptoid had a great episode about Area 51, which dispels much of the "mystery".

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Zeniel posted:

Richard Muller explains the physics behind the Roswell incident in a very entertaining and easy to understand way in this video lecture. It really makes the whole incident completely understandable and makes me wonder why this information isn't more widely known about.

Naturally, several of the first comments are accusations that Muller is also a part of the conspiracy.

After a full day of voting, over a hundred votes, and some pretty consistent results throughout, I have closed the poll.

My apologies to those of you who voted against it, but those who are ready for a big-rear end video have won by a sizable majority. On the plus side, these days Youtube generally remembers where you are in a video, at least if you're viewing it on their site, so you shouldn't have to keep it in the back of your tab list unless you want to.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mico posted:

Also, google maps. People figured out it was in Groome Lake, Nevada in like 2005.

I also seem to remember that in Perfect Dark (which came out in 2000), the briefings for the Area 51 mission chain straight-up say "Location: Groom Lake, Nevada"

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
The funny thing is that by definition, this means the conspiracy theories aren't actually wrong.

They are literally developing UFO's at area 51. In the most innocent sense of the word. Not flying saucers, just unidentified prototype aircraft.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I think they did try to make something looking like flying saucers only they were unstable as hell and shook harder than a washing machine. It was probably not at that place.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
For those looking to whet their whistle on conspiracy theories, Cracked have put up a pretty hilarious list of insane theories.

Denver Airport is especially hosed up, I never wanna go there now. :tinfoil:

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Zeniel posted:

Thanks for this, i know i had seen this before but the "they were disk microphones on a balloon, so they nicknamed them flying disks" line gets me every time.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

FinalGamer posted:

For those looking to whet their whistle on conspiracy theories, Cracked have put up a pretty hilarious list of insane theories.

Denver Airport is especially hosed up, I never wanna go there now. :tinfoil:

The only thing really that hosed up about Denver's Airport is the drat demon horse statue they put up.

drat thing still creeps me out anytime I have to go there. So in short, yo probably never want to come visit me FinalGamer since you would have to fly into DIA

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

It's not a surprise that Denver Airport was gonna be a location that you could visit ingame, back when it was under the working title "Majestic Revelations".

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Zeniel posted:

The thing about that is the people who care won't believe it, and the people who'll believe it won't care.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Kunster posted:

It's not a surprise that Denver Airport was gonna be a location that you could visit ingame, back when it was under the working title "Majestic Revelations".

It made it into Human Revolution though!

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
DIA was in DXHR? I dont remember that at all.

Azzanadra
Jun 18, 2008

The Light is the power of Dance

It wasn't. Maybe there was a reference to it though?

I was a fan of having that Anubis statue outside DIA though, made folks all kinds of paranoid. And I stumbled across that stromtrooper mural last time I was there, it really made my day to think about how that would set off the conspiracy theorists.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Crazy, I could swear I have memories of Jensen going down this huge elevator into a FEMA internment camp, but for the life of me I can't find it anywhere. :psyduck:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

paragon1 posted:

Crazy, I could swear I have memories of Jensen going down this huge elevator into a FEMA internment camp, but for the life of me I can't find it anywhere. :psyduck:

Oh that happens at one point but nowhere near the airport as far as I can remember.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Yeah. Thats in detroit. Its the last thing you do before you go to Hengsha.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Cooked Auto posted:

Oh that happens at one point but nowhere near the airport as far as I can remember.

Yeah, the FEMA facility in HR is in Highland Park, Michigan.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
e: oops wrong tab.

Is HR worth replaying? Got it sitting in my backlog.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It's good. I prefer the original release over the DC, if you have it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

muike posted:

It's good. I prefer the original release over the DC, if you have it.

Mind if I ask why? For me the DC brought the game up from "its okay" to "a few bad things but otherwise great", if only for recharging the first two battery cells by default (hello cloak! suddenly you're the most useful augment in the game, above computer hacking even!)

Whatever edition you have though, it's worth playing at least once. It's clear that the people making the game gave an earnest poo poo about it through most but not all of the development, which is pretty much my only prerequisite for "good" in terms of games.

• Locked thread