Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

ThermoPhysical posted:

Finally got access to Inbox last night from Reddit, it's actually pretty nice. I don't like how sending something to Trash really doesn't delete it (as I think someone mentioned just a few posts up). As it stands, you cannot permanently delete something in Gmail's app, Inbox's app, or Inbox on the web. You are ONLY able to do this in Gmail on the web. Oh well.

What does the trashcan button do in the Gmail app?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

What does the trashcan button do in the Gmail app?

It'll pretty much archive it. You can't actually purge it unless you go to the Gmail site and do it that way. If it's something you just don't want anymore...well too bad. You're gonna have to wait 30 days for Gmail to do it unless you can get to a computer.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

It'll pretty much archive it. You can't actually purge it unless you go to the Gmail site and do it that way. If it's something you just don't want anymore...well too bad. You're gonna have to wait 30 days for Gmail to do it unless you can get to a computer.
Go to the "Bin" folder and in the overflow menu there's an option for "Empty Trash".

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

LastInLine posted:

You have essentially unlimited space, what's the difference?

I archive everything and forget it ever existed.

I agree. However, there is a cost to keeping everything. It makes searching for a specific old email harder because you get a bunch of irrelevant results in your searches.

However, I think that's a minor cost to pay. It's much easier to just archive everything rather than have to spend the mental capital to decide on every email if you think you'll ever want it in the future.

ThermoPhysical posted:

I don't believe it's actually unlimited. If you fill up your Drive, doesn't Gmail stop as well until you clear some space? I'm sure that "bump" that they did a while ago was just merging Gmail with Drive and Google+.

That's why he said "essentially unlimited".

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

I use this google script to automatically delete old subscribed emails and keep the rest.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Oh, another thing with Inbox. I don't think you can mark as read anymore, just "Done". In doing that, it's not really read, just whisked away to another folder and not in your inbox anymore. It still shows as bold if you mark it as Done without opening it.

I do like how it shows you photos and whatnot that may be buried deep within an e-mail cluster or singular e-mail. I'm not sure how long this Inbox thing will last if they're going to keep updating Gmail as a separate app, but it's nice while It's here.

Tunga posted:

Go to the "Bin" folder and in the overflow menu there's an option for "Empty Trash".

I never noticed that until now. So it's just Inbox that does it then. Thanks for the heads up!

Thermopyle posted:

That's why he said "essentially unlimited".

That's one of the problems with backing up stuff to Photos, if you do it enough, you'll end up having to clear out stuff just to get e-mail. I think that's what some people were complaining about back when Google merged things like that.

Granted, I haven't had that problem...yet.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I thought the same thing about photos, but I just got the 125gb plan and don't really ever have to worry about it. I think its about $2.50 per month too.

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

I'm tired of missing when new albums and stuff are released. Is there an app that keeps track and notifies me? I didn't see anything in the OP.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

The Flying Milton posted:

I'm tired of missing when new albums and stuff are released. Is there an app that keeps track and notifies me? I didn't see anything in the OP.

You can actually use Google Now for that. If you do a search for artists you're interested in you should have an option to track them, and then Now will give you a card when there's news about them, including when a new album is available.

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Bro and Maplehoof: Go beyond the impossible!
:kamina:
Is there a way to view listening history in All Access? I was playing one of the radios while driving and meant to look up one of the songs, but I started another radio so it's not in the queue.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

So, not exactly the most exciting news ever, but SwiftKey just added two new Material Design based themes to their theme store and they're pretty nifty. I got the dark version and, while I'd prefer it to be more black than the blue it actually is, I'm really liking it. Not the worst way to spend a dollar of my Rewards survey money.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Material Design is the best thing to happen to Android in a while. I'm sure most apps will still look like Gingerbread ones, though.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Gyshall posted:

Material Design is the best thing to happen to Android in a while. I'm sure most apps will still look like Gingerbread ones, though.
Apps? Most phones will still look like Gingerbread because they're going to be Samsungs.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Gyshall posted:

Half the Apps on my phone already ape Material Design with KitKat resources, the others are pretty Holo Apps. Actively developed Apps move very, very quickly. It's poo poo like official Twitter, Facebook, Instagram Apps that don't get their act together despite billions of dollars behind them.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

The Flying Milton posted:

AlbumReminder is a website that can import your itunes and/or last.fm info and notify you when any of the artists from there have new releases coming out. You can, of course, manually add or remove artists from your list.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Decius posted:

It's poo poo like official Twitter, Facebook, Instagram Apps that don't get their act together because they have billions of dollars behind them.

Fixed that for you. They have no incentive to update because most people are just going to default to those apps because "well, I want twitter on my phone, so I should probably use Twitter's app"

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

I think the current facebook app looks pretty good :shrug:

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

As it stands, you cannot permanently delete something in Gmail's app, Inbox's app, or Inbox on the web. You are ONLY able to do this in Gmail on the web. Oh well.

You can definitely delete an e-mail from the Gmail app. When an e-mail is open, hit the top right menu button and it's the first option. There's also an "Archive & delete actions" setting in General Settings of the app you can gently caress with.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Got my acceptance email for Inbox. After using it for a few minutes, I'm worried I'm too dumb to use it. Like, I get the product and it makes sense, but I just don't see any reason it isn't just a part of Gmail. Really, they could just add the "remind me at X" feature to Gmail proper and I'd be happy.

"hey, guys, you know that app of ours that handles emails?"
"yeah, why?"
"well, and go with me here, what if we made another app that organizes those same emails slightly better?"
"goddammit, Kevin, you're a genius"

XIII fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Oct 24, 2014

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

XIII posted:

Got my acceptance email for Inbox. After using it for a few minutes, I'm worried I'm too dumb to use it. Like, I get the product and it makes sense, but I just don't see any reason it isn't just a part of Gmail. Really, they could just add the "remind me at X" feature to Gmail proper and I'd be happy.

"yeah, why?"
"well, and go with me here, what if we made another app that organizes those same emails slightly better?"

Agreed. Also, everything it does seems to already be done at least equally well by Mailbox?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Twitter kinda sorta is doing material stuff in the alpha version of the app. They added tinted status bars with the latest one.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Anyone know why I can't tell the web version of Play Music to monitor folders for new music? I click the add folder thing and it acts like nothing happened.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

LastInLine posted:

Apps? Most phones will still look like Gingerbread because they're going to be Samsungs.

Actually, I think the worst looking/most "Gingerbread"-y phone currently out/soon to be released is one of the darlings of the Phone thread, the Droid Turbo:

The only thing that lets you know it's NOT from 2011 is the fact the there's a multi-tasking/recent apps (capacitive) button, not a menu button.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
VERIZON DROID

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
"Droid" is a registered trademark of Lucasfilm Ltd.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Gyshall posted:

VERIZON DROID

*Looks at back of nexus 7*

NEXUS

ASUS

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

DrBouvenstein posted:

Actually, I think the worst looking/most "Gingerbread"-y phone currently out/soon to be released is one of the darlings of the Phone thread, the Droid Turbo:

The only thing that lets you know it's NOT from 2011 is the fact the there's a multi-tasking/recent apps (capacitive) button, not a menu button.

And the fact that it probably would have been called a tablet in 2011

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

XIII posted:

And the fact that it probably would have been called a tablet in 2011

The Note (5.3") came out in 2011. Which means we already would have had the "phablet" for it.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Decius posted:

The Note (5.3") came out in 2011. Which means we already would have had the "phablet" for it.

Wasn't the Dell Steak Streak the first "phablet"?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

XIII posted:

"yeah, why?"
I think my take is that it just isn't for me. What it strives to do I already do with better efficiency and visibility.

Right now I have five emails in my Inbox: 2 regarding Google Inbox (the invite, the acceptance video), 1 bill, 1 email from my dad about a Christmas gift for my mother, and 1 that is my Pocket Casts invite that I haven't accepted. They are only in my inbox because I need to action them all and I left the bill in there so I could test how I'd use Inbox to deal with it.

In Inbox, they appear mostly in order but it's tough to know what is the oldest and what needs to be done. The Pocket Casts and Inbox are grouped as "Promotions" even though one is the oldest and one is the newest. I could pin or set a reminder for Pocket Casts (I'm not sure I'll ever need the web player or the sync, but I do want to give them money) but as I have so few emails it will always be visible regardless of that state.

The bill was autocategorized as "Finance" despite GMail autolabelling it as "Bill" (I also have a label already called Finance that is just for statements which are things that involve money that do not require action). I can pin the bill, which again doesn't help me but this leads me to my principle complaint: reminders.

Reminders are essentially useless. Reminders merely push an email back to the top of the inbox for me to take action. I can set a date/time for this and presumably it would send a new mail notification at that time but it doesn't help me when looking at the inbox to know that something needs to be done by a certain date. What I need is a function that assigns a due date and a reminder some time prior to that. On the plus side, even completed reminders are visible and searchable in Inbox, including those you've previously used on Google Now, but it doesn't say when it was completed, just that it was.

So that just leaves the present for my mother which cannot be ordered until November 4th. I have set a reminder for that which appears directly underneath the email. That also doesn't help me as the email itself is always visible due to how few emails I keep and it's not like I can see *just* reminders of things to do. If I did have more emails it would be just as invisible without the reminder as with it since I can't just view tasks to be done.

Edit: Something I just noticed while uninstalling the app: Only some reminders from Now were visible in Inbox. They seem to have to be tied to an email of some kind. Also they aren't searchable as a group (you can't just look for "reminder"). Another thing is that reminders created in Inbox aren't visible in Now. It's not immediately apparent what makes a Now reminder, an Inbox reminder, or a Both reminder but I do know that if I can't tell I certainly wouldn't rely on it for remembering to pay my electric bill instead of just remembering to buy some shoes.

Overall it would seem this is a product for someone who is drowning in email and losing things because of it. Even taking that into account it would seem to me that this wouldn't really help as that person would have to triage things as they come in (pin or set a reminder) and if they were capable of doing that they wouldn't need the product to begin with. I have a hard time imagining a person both incapable of managing email effectively but would use this product in a way that alters that dynamic.

In general I agree with you, simply adding "Remind me at X" to GMail would get you 95% of the functionality of Inbox. I understand that the problem they're seeking to solve is that the traditional paradigm of "All your email, reverse chronologically sorted in one box is unmanageable" and thus they had to come up with a crazy new way to bundle and view things otherwise you're right back to where you started, I just feel like if you're drowning in email already the problem isn't the layout, it's with the person and no technical solution will fix that.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 24, 2014

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Yeah, maybe it's because I already have a system that I use to keep everything organized (and an entire separate email for side projects) so Inbox doesn't really benefit me, but I don't see myself keeping it installed for long.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I really have no idea what Inbox is supposed to be or do. It displayed a bunch of random recent emails with mysterious unlabelled buttons and I have no clue what actually happens to each email when I press those buttons. Maybe I am too attached to thinking about emails in terms of folders/labels and conversations but this definitely isn't a product for me right now.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
My email is a warzone I never actually got around to organizing. Loving Inbox for that very reason. Unburied an optometrist appt I was supposed to make and forgot about. So yeah, if you already have a system I don't see much use for it but for people like me its pretty great.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

I really have no idea what Inbox is supposed to be or do. It displayed a bunch of random recent emails with mysterious unlabelled buttons and I have no clue what actually happens to each email when I press those buttons.
First it's important to understand one thing: Inbox does not replace GMail, it merely manages it.*

Inbox does three things:
  • It groups similar emails by type. It has a default setting for this but it is customizable (though a very poor interface). This is done via labels, but in practice is closer to folders because I couldn't see a way to have it apply more than one label in Inbox alone* (which is the functional difference between folders and labels). This allows you to manage the emails as a group but again is no different than going in GMail to the label.

• It allows you to triage email. You can pin it (make it always visible or easily visible), you can set a reminder (bumps it at a time/date of your choosing), or you can ignore it (throw it on the pile).

• It shows context when it can without having to enter the email. This can be a YouTube video, a photo gallery, shipping information link, etc.

Like I said, I get the idea but it's not very good. I get the feeling (and I'll admit I could be completely wrong here) that I could come up with a better solution to the problem if I sat down and drew out a UI tree and used already-existing features in GMail and Inbox. It's a good thing to have attempted but I just don't think there is a type of person who needs what it does and I feel like it was worked backward from "We can do x, what purpose does x serve?" rather than "Problem y needs a solution, what can we do to addresss it?"

*The biggest problem with it is right here. You can't replace GMail with Inbox. You cannot view or manage your contacts. You can't even determine which contacts are in the FAB. You cannot create filters. You can manage them but the UI for this is a disaster: Go to Settings, then on each label there is a gear that brings up the filters that feed that label. I don't think you can edit the rule, just delete it. There is no way you could use this. Chats are not visible or searchable from within Inbox at all. They are simply invisible. You have no advanced search fields available (I did not try using the advanced search syntax because I'm not a total nerd and therefore don't have it memorized).

KoB
May 1, 2009

XIII posted:

"yeah, why?"

It wasnt until I got into Inbox that I realized its just trying to sort emails exactly how I already keep my gmail inbox. :geno:

Tunga posted:

I really have no idea what Inbox is supposed to be or do. It displayed a bunch of random recent emails with mysterious unlabelled buttons and I have no clue what actually happens to each email when I press those buttons.

The recent trend of icon buttons instead of actual descriptive words is really loving dumb. Just say "archive" not "box with a down arrow inside." Only about half of the icons ever make sense and Im just left guessing what the rest do.

KoB fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 24, 2014

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Icons are often a stupid idea. People recognize text faster than they recognize pictures. There's lots of cogsci evidence to back this up.

Sometimes you shouldn't let the designers have the last say.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I read over Inbox but didn't bother getting an invite. My life honestly isn't complex enough that I need another organizational layer. I don't really even use the calender much at this point. Most of my bills are auto pay and personal appointments are few and far between.

I can see where it would be good for some people, but it would be of little value to me.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Thermopyle posted:

Icons are often a stupid idea. People recognize text faster than they recognize pictures. There's lots of cogsci evidence to back this up.

Sometimes you shouldn't let the designers have the last say.

Especially when icons end up as things like a floppy disk to indicate Save, something that is long gone and probably completely unrecognizable to the newest generations of tech users.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

My email is a warzone I never actually got around to organizing. Loving Inbox for that very reason. Unburied an optometrist appt I was supposed to make and forgot about. So yeah, if you already have a system I don't see much use for it but for people like me its pretty great.
Same here. I would star and delete stuff but that was the extent of it. Inbox seems to help me out a lot, I've already been using the snooze option to help me remember to revisit certain emails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Maker Of Shoes posted:

datajosh posted:

Same here. I would star and delete stuff but that was the extent of it. Inbox seems to help me out a lot, I've already been using the snooze option to help me remember to revisit certain emails.
I'm really interested in these posts.

What does Inbox do that simply catching up and then triaging as new mail comes in doesn't?

I'm not attacking your workflow, I'm really just curious how email gets out of hand. Maybe this

bull3964 posted:

I read over Inbox but didn't bother getting an invite. My life honestly isn't complex enough that I need another organizational layer. I don't really even use the calender much at this point. Most of my bills are auto pay and personal appointments are few and far between.

I can see where it would be good for some people, but it would be of little value to me.
just applies to me but I'm curious how it helps those who aren't me.

• Locked thread