Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

kaynorr posted:

It's still just Rift, but the new window dressing is very pretty.

I wish it were still just Rift instead of Daglar's Poor Decision Simulator :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Zoness posted:

I wish it were still just Rift instead of Daglar's Poor Decision Simulator :smith:

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Zoness posted:

Seriously.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Zoness posted:

I realize that Rift's high end raiding touched you in bad places, but is there really that much to get bent out of shape over if you're not trying to Realm First Bindings of Blood?

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik

kaynorr posted:

I realize that Rift's high end raiding touched you in bad places, but is there really that much to get bent out of shape over if you're not trying to Realm First Bindings of Blood?

Yeah I don't really understand this either. For a casual raider (even that like a month or two per year) who's hated most things about WoW since Cataclysm, Rift's always felt like the best game on the market for scratching that theme park itch. If it isn't that for the John. A. Poopsock then maybe that's one bad thing, but no reason to be so defeatist and melodramatic about it in every single post you make! Is there?

I mean, is the issue the cash shop which I find to be one of the more generous and accessible on the market? Its "For Insane/Rich People Only" price tagged loot? Why should I give a poo poo, I don't know anyone who would consider buying those items :confused: Is there something else?

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Zoness posted:

Still mad about the AH changes sneaking in stuff designed to kill artifact selling. >:(

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

kaynorr posted:

There are lots of things wrong with Rift that aren't just the garbage that was SL T3.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

kaynorr posted:

It's funny that you think that RIFT had things for it that weren't its raid designs, but I'll elaborate some more. I'm one of two goons, and maybe 3 or 4 goons total that even looked at t2 and t3 content when it was relevant, but I enjoyed almost every aspect of the game until I decided that it was heading in an ever-increasingly unsavory direction beyond the decline of raiding. It was pretty ridiculous how little the devs cared about beta feedback, for multiple tiers of raid and soul testing. The cash shop was downright predatory in that nobody in high end raiding was short on credits since we pretty much all had access to infinite plat but nobody enjoyed how the market was milking every last drop out of you if you wanted any edge in raiding, PvP rewarded mindless zerging every other hour over battleground play, and class bugs went unfixed for months.

Oh, and when you finally finished getting your T80 PvP set so you could battle with your friends who like to PvP? They put better PvP gear in lockboxes :smithicide:. Also currency caps on every form of earnable currency that are circumventable through those lockboxes.

And that's really the root of the problem - that Trion puts some of the most rewarding items possible in terms of real stats behind lockboxes. I had no problem subbing to rift, the game just got worse and worse about how much they wanted to milk your time and/or money with the F2P conversion.

Oh and let's also mention the part where Daglar surreptitiously puts 4 BoE relic-equivalent weapons on the auction house as an "experiment" at a time when farming for those drops is still relevant for progression. Also Josh York.

Anony is the a great raid dev though.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 23, 2014

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik
Try to look at it from the flipside. If you're in the top 99.9th percentile of the tiny fraction of Rift players who would ever have a reason care about the bulk of what you're saying, you might see that outside of that bubble the game is kind of critically acclaimed, widely liked and in a longstanding state of sustained growth. Being a bitter vet is fine (for some other games, that's me!) and I'm not saying you're wrong, but maybe you Hate the game - or at least perceived changes to it - a bit too much to keep a level head when looking at the big picture. Maybe you're being a bit hyperbolic if the message here is that Rift is a poo poo Game.

How's Nightmare Tide, anyhow? I can't afford the time to log in this week other than to check my auctions, but have my mage, warrior and rogue prepared for leveling through it. Heard the beta was kind of rough.

Rianeva
Mar 8, 2009

Ihki posted:

I mean, is the issue the cash shop which I find to be one of the more generous and accessible on the market? Its "For Insane/Rich People Only" price tagged loot? Why should I give a poo poo, I don't know anyone who would consider buying those items :confused: Is there something else?

What you seem to be missing here is that a lot of the people complaining have been playing Rift for a long time, and while the cash shop wasn't that bad when it first came out, it's been getting worse and it shows no signs of stopping. See what Zoness said about lockboxes? That didn't happen at first. They had lockboxes, but the stuff in them was nowhere near best-in-slot. That changed over time until the pvp lockboxes came out.

Trion's also been rules-lawyering really, really hard over best-in-slot stuff being available for real money. The t3.5 gear you could get via collector's editions prior to NT coming out didn't matter, because it was only going to be BiS for four (later six) weeks and anyway the ~race to kill Maelforge~ was over (he was the last boss of SL and four guilds had killed him at that point, hardly what I would consider irrelevant). Having expert NT gear available for credits wasn't a big deal because raid gear existed and that was best-in-slot. Wait what? You think that'll make raiding in NT unfair? No way. You're silly.

And yes, people can and will buy anything and everything in the store. I think there were five or six people in my guild who bought the $150 collectors edition so they could have the gear early.

If you just want to hop on and fart around sometimes, Rift isn't a bad game for that. Just make sure you never want to do anything more than that.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

So in Rift, bleeding-edge raiders act like whales. Interesting data point.

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik

Rianeva posted:

What you seem to be missing here is that a lot of the people complaining have been playing Rift for a long time
I'm not missing that at all, I'm saying that has a way of skewing one's perspective. That said so have I, preordered the original game actually. The question here is whether these concerns affect 2%, 5% or 10% of the game's population, and how much of that crowd is actually bothered by them. Most? Half? Less?

quote:

Trion's also been rules-lawyering really, really hard over best-in-slot stuff being available for real money. The t3.5 gear you could get via collector's editions prior to NT coming out didn't matter, because it was only going to be BiS for four (later six) weeks and anyway the ~race to kill Maelforge~ was over (he was the last boss of SL and four guilds had killed him at that point, hardly what I would consider irrelevant). Having expert NT gear available for credits wasn't a big deal because raid gear existed and that was best-in-slot. Wait what? You think that'll make raiding in NT unfair? No way. You're silly.
I mean, I agree with both of these WRT Trion saying it really doesn't matter, again, I can't see how they do. I thought the tokens were better used for NT loot than T3.5, actually, and figured people who upgraded SL gear with them were kind of idiots :effort: Not sure if I'm thinking of the same thing. Or, giving people NT's equivalent of infinity stone gear sounds like the definition of small fries, certainly not to be mentioned in a BiS cash shop gear discussion. How long do you think it will take for a poopsock to gear up in full expert gear without paying a dime? A week? Six days with collector's NT? :v:

quote:

And yes, people can and will buy anything and everything in the store. I think there were five or six people in my guild who bought the $150 collectors edition so they could have the gear early.

I never disputed this, AFAIK Rift is an impressively profitable game (close to 100m$ in revenue last year?), this can be explained with whales. Same as any successful F2P, but Rift's ARPU is probably really high for a Western F2P MMO.

Ihki fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 23, 2014

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Servers down for maintenance and update until 3pm EST.

http://forums.riftgame.com/general-discussions/patch-notes/442790-rift-3-0-hotfix-1-10-23-14-a.html

quote:

RIFT 3.0: Hotfix #1 10/23/14

NA: 10/23/14 @ 11:00 AM PDT
EU: 10/24/14 @ 1:00 AM PDT

ZONES

GOBORO REEF
* IA: The Instant Adventure bosses Beherit and Gorgo will no longer declare war on their planar brethren in Gyel Fortress.
* Increased the spawn rate of cursed balloons in the Atragarian Well.
* Increased the spawn rate of Skelfbinders in Skelfmere.

DUNGEONS AND INSTANCES

NIGHTMARE COAST
* Expert gear no longer incorrectly drops from standard mode.

DIMENSIONS
* Fixed an issue causing players to be unable to move/rotate certain dimension items.

ITEMS
* Removed a proc from Abiding Thalasite Rifle, which was not intended to have one.
* Added procs to Abiding Sarfiber Quarterstaff and its upgrades.

SOULS

ROGUE

RANGER
* Increased the threat generated by Razorbeast pets.
* Wilderness Training: Fixed an issue where the weapon damage was not scaling with talent points invested.

WARRIOR

PALADIN
* A Good Defense: Fixed an issue where the +healing provided was not scaling with talent points invested.

RIFTBLADE
* Adjusted Burst finishers to be less effective when only used with 1 Attack Point.

I wish I'd known a standard dungeon dropped expert gear. That's a pretty embarrassing thing for Trion to miss.

William Bear fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Oct 23, 2014

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
i may download it and fart around for shits and giggles. maybe.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Ihki posted:

Try to look at it from the flipside. If you're in the top 99.9th percentile of the tiny fraction of Rift players who would ever have a reason care about the bulk of what you're saying, you might see that outside of that bubble the game is kind of critically acclaimed, widely liked and in a longstanding state of sustained growth. Being a bitter vet is fine (for some other games, that's me!) and I'm not saying you're wrong, but maybe you Hate the game - or at least perceived changes to it - a bit too much to keep a level head when looking at the big picture. Maybe you're being a bit hyperbolic if the message here is that Rift is a poo poo Game.

How's Nightmare Tide, anyhow? I can't afford the time to log in this week other than to check my auctions, but have my mage, warrior and rogue prepared for leveling through it. Heard the beta was kind of rough.

No, it's just a bad game you idiot. I knew it was a bad game last time I played and a bunch of cash shop heroes were calling me a friend of the family for tanking experts without full expert gear already. Raids were really poorly tuned and every single bit of damage was bursty bullshit where your toe touching fire for 1 second killed you instantly. Healing was so whack that bosses had to outright kill the entire raid over 4 seconds just to slightly challenge the 2 healers in your 20 man raid. Doing a tier of raiding requires you to have a full set of gear from the previous one as an absolute requirement and it's not legitimately possible for you to contribute until you have enough focus/toughness because you'll miss half your attacks if you're 30 Focus under the cap or die instantly. Every fight was just dumb burst RNG bullshit and the game actually had resist farming in TYOL 2014. Oh, and you can cash shop your way all the way to the most recent raid tier for only hundreds of dollars! Oh it's not pay to win you can farm the same gear in only several hundred hours!

Oh and his biggest point is that even after poopsocking all the best current tier raid and PVP gear, Trion would just dump superior gear on the auction house or the P2W cash shop. That has nothing to do with being a bitter vet. Good job conflating valid criticism with just being a hater.

Thunderbro fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Oct 23, 2014

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik

No matter what kind of dysfunction (or fakeposting gimmick) explains these wonderful tirades of yours, hearing you say that is kind of redeeming :v: Hope that was the intention!

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Raids in Rift have issues, and that aren't the issues you're talking about. T2 was actually pretty fun. T3 was utter hilariously overtuned poo poo.

Like, what the gently caress dude, go take a walk.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Who were you raiding with, anyway?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

quote:

RIFTBLADE
* Adjusted Burst finishers to be less effective when only used with 1 Attack Point.

I can't believe this is an issue again.

Also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbuiWqRJGpE

This is what was good about rift, especially when the fight could be done above 15 fps (which is another thing we can chalk up to the bad column)!

(I miss doing the fun T2 fights, let's go back to warden thrax progression ria :3:)

Zoness fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 23, 2014

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

All of T2 is fun really.

Was fun.

:smith:

Rianeva
Mar 8, 2009

Zoness posted:

(I miss doing the fun T2 fights, let's go back to warden thrax progression ria :3:)

Only if I can play bard.

Also that video makes me sad because most of the people in it have quit.

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!

kaynorr posted:

So in Rift, bleeding-edge raiders act like whales. Interesting data point.
I'm sure "some" of the bleeding-edge raiders were whales, but I'd say the vast majority of them were not bleeding-edge raiders.

EVERY PUG I joined had one or more of those guys in it, the people struggling on tier 1 while using T2 gear that they'd obviously purchased with real money.

A lot of times people would say "Hey guys, we got this in the bag, got somebody with 500+ hit!" or some poo poo. The guy was utterly miserably terrible and was usually the first to ragequit. After we replaced him (if we could) the raid would go smoothly.

Once we did a 12-man with just 11 people after a guy like that got frustrated and quit.

That's right, he was so bad that we were able to actually succeed in doing it only AFTER HE LEFT.

I think it's silly to call Rift raiding P2W considering. The mechanics were actually very important and while pretty simple (as far as raid mechanics in other games go) you can only overgear for a few of them.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Ihki posted:

No matter what kind of dysfunction (or fakeposting gimmick) explains these wonderful tirades of yours, hearing you say that is kind of redeeming :v: Hope that was the intention!

Hey man, posting without hyperbole or disrespect for other people is boring :colbert:

It's seriously just a bad game, and if you want to go to theme park land you should check out WoW, FFXIV, and GW2 as they all own. WoW learned a lot of lessons from Cataclysm and has been consistently better, and its new expansion is just about to drop. FFXIV owns, GW2 double owns, and all of them are way more accessible and happy to let you have fun without having to grind forever or drop hundreds of dollars. I just checked and there are 44 guilds total that have downed a single boss in Rift's T6 content, so less than 1000 people. Why? Because hey man, drop hundreds of hours into farming the previous raids and all the other poo poo and oh you can't raid successfully because Jim disappeared, time to gear up more newbies! It's just a pile of artificial time and gear gates to stretch a tiny amount of bosses for months and months. Rift is mechanically very stale and easy; the only difficulty really comes from fuckups instantly killing you and RNG burst damage randomly killing you with no recourse. Considering that, it's easy to tell why people who want true, balanced difficulty would go to the other games that not only do it better, but actually let you play the hard stuff without wasting days of playtime to grind up. Making things tedious isn't a skill barrier and people who are looking for a truly engaging experience go play the games that don't make it tedious to do so.

Business wise Rift is great though! Dumb grognards will pull the lever in their skinner box forever and fork over tons of cash to do basic things because they want to be better than other people in virtual play land! If other people can reach their level then they can't sit on that pedestal! No effort required on Trion's part, just throw up cash shop poo poo and make raid bosses have really inflated numbers and you have your exclusivity!

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Thunderbro posted:

Business wise Rift is great though! Dumb grognards will pull the lever in their skinner box forever and fork over tons of cash to do basic things because they want to be better than other people in virtual play land! If other people can reach their level then they can't sit on that pedestal! No effort required on Trion's part, just throw up cash shop poo poo and make raid bosses have really inflated numbers and you have your exclusivity!

I'd be really surprised if the raid design was a super-secret plan to drive people to buy BiS gear in the store. More likely they're just bad at raid encounters. Rift appears to be unique in that normally the whales are milked for money to play princess dress-up, as opposed to buying stuff with stats.

It's just my tendancy to assume people are incompetent rather than malicious.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

kaynorr posted:

I'd be really surprised if the raid design was a super-secret plan to drive people to buy BiS gear in the store. More likely they're just bad at raid encounters. Rift appears to be unique in that normally the whales are milked for money to play princess dress-up, as opposed to buying stuff with stats.

It's just my tendancy to assume people are incompetent rather than malicious.

Having taken part in raid testing - they just tend to make some really weird decisions. They've taken some of our higher level feedback like moving the binding ceremony on Laethys to the start, removing the 100+ ways our rogue tank found of abusing the Riftblade NPC Hero to have him do something else entirely, and actually giving Asias a proper function as originally she didn't increase your DPS nearly as much as you could. Note that this is why I say Anony is the best - he was thorough about what he want tested and Maelforge is a great encounter as a result.

Greenscale and Akylios, however, were subpar easy messes of fights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNGIKvl6QSY

Like, look at how little our tanks do in this fight - the only person who does less is me, I spend the whole fight healing an NPC.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP
As someone who was never super invested in the game, and gave it several good tries(including at release, so I know how the game has gone from underhyped and pretty good, to this), the game is bad, and I don't even care about p2w cash shop, if you want to spend thousands of dollars on pixels, that's just funny to me, it doesnt bother me
It was the barrier to entry on everything, faction grinding, gear grinding, plat grinding, poo poo was boring as hell and so bad. Several weeks just to run expert dungeons and not have people call you a "friend of the family human being piece of poo poo", or something equally virulent because you dared to not carry the entire group. Not to mention the leveling is slow and painful, combined with ultra generic classes and extremely bland gameplay in those classes or stupidly complex and headache inducing (looking at you beastmaster or whatever).

And yes, I know that's the standard of themepark MMOs, everyone else just does it in a way that isn't cock and ball torture: the game. I could be normal raid ready in WoW within a week or two. Without buying crafted gear. I don't even like WoW.

That being said, if you don't like doing end game pve content in a themepark, this is a great game for you.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
I agree with the dude above me, and another bitch is I've always had a hard time stomaching the really muddy color palette. Even the super colorful poo poo was always so washed out it was like trion ported heroes of newerth's style.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
It's incredible that Blizzard's ten year old game is still the best looking MMO on the market. Rift is almost EQ2 levels of hideous.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Zoness posted:

Having taken part in raid testing - they just tend to make some really weird decisions. They've taken some of our higher level feedback like moving the binding ceremony on Laethys to the start, removing the 100+ ways our rogue tank found of abusing the Riftblade NPC Hero to have him do something else entirely, and actually giving Asias a proper function as originally she didn't increase your DPS nearly as much as you could. Note that this is why I say Anony is the best - he was thorough about what he want tested and Maelforge is a great encounter as a result.

Greenscale and Akylios, however, were subpar easy messes of fights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNGIKvl6QSY

Like, look at how little our tanks do in this fight - the only person who does less is me, I spend the whole fight healing an NPC.

That's because that Akylios fight, alongside all the other binding fart dragons, is a lazy remake of a fight they already did. Did they even make a new Akylios model? The lighting actually got worse and looks like poo poo even compared to the Hammerknell version. The fight itself looks less epic, mechanically easier, and generally just worse in every single way possible. What a lazy phoned in piece of poo poo. It makes sense why it's completely phoned in though: less than 1000 players have ever seen it or will see it while it's relevant content.

Rianeva
Mar 8, 2009

Zoness posted:

Hey, not dying is really hard. I know, I've healed tanks on this fight.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Adam Bowen posted:

It's incredible that Blizzard's ten year old game is still the best looking MMO on the market. Rift is almost EQ2 levels of hideous.

ff14

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Adam Bowen posted:

I left Rift for FF14 A Relm Reborn and have been loving it. Only one I have felt was worth my sub so far.
I popped in to check out the new stuff on here and just found my self bored so left after an hour. Looks nice but same basic design as before, not worth getting to max level again.

Edit: Beaten, that is what I get for not refreshing.

LordNat fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Oct 24, 2014

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

FF14 is pretty much the best WoW-style MMO out there, followed by actual WoW.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Adam Bowen posted:

Having recently started leveling an alt in WoW, I'm gonna have to disagree when it comes to their older stuff. I love the new models, but most of the art assets in the 1-70 stretch just haven't aged well. The low poly count stuff tends to rely on textures more, and the textures are just sub-par. Things get noticeably better when you hit Northrend, but I don't think they can claim the crown on best looking MMO any more. Final Fantasy XIV pretty much owns that slot now.

KaneTW posted:

Literally the only reason I'm playing WoW instead of FF14 right now is that they have better raid tech. Crystal Tower just feels very small and lackluster compared to doing a full raid in Raid Finder mode. I really hope they abandon the distinction between the full party hard-as-balls stuff and the alliance easy-mode and move to one dungeon with multiple difficulty tiers. Flex raiding would probably be too much to hope for, but it just makes such a huge difference.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

KaneTW posted:

FF14: More WoW than WoW

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

kaynorr posted:

Having recently started leveling an alt in WoW, I'm gonna have to disagree when it comes to their older stuff. I love the new models, but most of the art assets in the 1-70 stretch just haven't aged well. The low poly count stuff tends to rely on textures more, and the textures are just sub-par. Things get noticeably better when you hit Northrend, but I don't think they can claim the crown on best looking MMO any more. Final Fantasy XIV pretty much owns that slot now.

Literally the only reason I'm playing WoW instead of FF14 right now is that they have better raid tech. Crystal Tower just feels very small and lackluster compared to doing a full raid in Raid Finder mode. I really hope they abandon the distinction between the full party hard-as-balls stuff and the alliance easy-mode and move to one dungeon with multiple difficulty tiers. Flex raiding would probably be too much to hope for, but it just makes such a huge difference.

We'll see what they're going to do for the expansion but I love 8 man raiding and that isn't going to work that well for LFR-style stuff, so I'm pretty happy with what they're doing.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
So how many of you have reached the new level cap? Im curious if its worth coming back just for the sights and sounds of water. :3:

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh
I second that question. I used to play Rift a lot a while back and I wonder whether it's worth coming back or not.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

kaynorr posted:

I'm sure it's just my own quirk, but I don't like the art style of FFXIV at all. I get that it's much more technically impressive and detailed, but the last 5-7 years of advancement in game graphics have had some kind of uncanny valley effect for me. They keep trying to mimic reality, but in the process it just gets less and less appealing to me. Games that are less realistic and more stylistic without having insane amounts of glowy HDR bullshit everywhere look much more impressive to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
It's a bit weird to see someone say that they get an uncanny valley feeling from FFXIV, but I agree that colorful unique artstyles > pointless wannabe realism.

• Locked thread