Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Sirotan posted:

We give our users 150mb and disable the archiver. :v:

Our entire 12k person company has 50GB/user, but I feel bad when I hit even 200mb :( Then again, we still block outbound attachments over 20mb, so there is still some humor there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AHYJWWG/

I have one of these, haven't needed it in a while. Hope its legit :(

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

larchesdanrew posted:

If it was up to me, I'd ban Outlook on all company machines.

One of the managers up here is a straight-up card-carrying hoarder and everything in her life is a horrible mess. She absolutely refuses to ever delete an email. Ever.

She insists on keeping emails in her outlook from over eight years ago from other peoples' email accounts.

She has hit the 20gb outlook file limit. Her archive file is over 200gb. She wants to know why her outlook is so slow.

gently caress, I don't know, it might be the twenty thousand unread emails in your inbox.

It got to be such a clusterfuck that, for some reason, the email server stopped allowing her to delete emails from the web interface? You'd delete them and they'd just pop back up in a few minutes. Then, somehow, she did something that she still won't tell me, but now her Outlook is trying to duplicate 43,000 emails. So it's locked down completely.

I moved her outlook and archive file and made new ones. I deleted her email account and recreated it to give her a fresh start. She threw an absolute fit until I assured her all her old emails are still on the computer, just not in outlook at the moment.

Now she wants me to show her how to switch between her outlook files because she wants to pull a powerpoint someone sent her three years ago.

loving hell I hate Outlook.

Migrate to gmail :unsmigghh:

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Volmarias posted:

Migrate to gmail :unsmigghh:

Then have people use Outlook and Mac Mail :smithicide:

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

larchesdanrew posted:

One of the managers up here is a straight-up card-carrying hoarder and everything in her life is a horrible mess. She absolutely refuses to ever delete an email. Ever.

She insists on keeping emails in her outlook from over eight years ago from other peoples' email accounts.

She has hit the 20gb outlook file limit. Her archive file is over 200gb. She wants to know why her outlook is so slow.

gently caress, I don't know, it might be the twenty thousand unread emails in your inbox.

It got to be such a clusterfuck that, for some reason, the email server stopped allowing her to delete emails from the web interface? You'd delete them and they'd just pop back up in a few minutes. Then, somehow, she did something that she still won't tell me, but now her Outlook is trying to duplicate 43,000 emails. So it's locked down completely.

I moved her outlook and archive file and made new ones. I deleted her email account and recreated it to give her a fresh start. She threw an absolute fit until I assured her all her old emails are still on the computer, just not in outlook at the moment.

Now she wants me to show her how to switch between her outlook files because she wants to pull a powerpoint someone sent her three years ago.

I am no Outlook fan, but this is totally a user failure, not an Outlook failure.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

pr0digal posted:

Then have people use Outlook and Mac Mail :smithicide:

Having to support Mac Mail is the bane of my existence.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

death .cab for qt posted:

Haha I sent this to our engineer on a whim and heard a very audible "gently caress" a few cubicles over

Guess it affects us! :v:

Oh boy. Have fun.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Not a ticket per say; but do you ever go to fix something and get far more than you bargained for?

Today I glanced at the status window I left open for our IP Phones, when I noticed a couple were flashing red with "Fault on line" and a caller basically being stuck in the queue. So I go over to the desk bank to check that no one hosed with their handset settings, but they all look fine.

"Oh, something's wrong with our phones"
"Yeah my E-mail isn't working either"

Ok, very suspicious; I get them to try loading google; no dice, try and open the network share; can't connect. Holy poo poo poo poo does this mean the internet connection is hosed and the failover hasn't worked? No can't be, otherwise more people would have mentioned. Have a look at the Ethernet switch and all the lights are blinking in unison, swap out the overly stretched cable to the wall with a new one, problem solved.

Jesus people, you've could've mentioned this earlier.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Think about all of the cheap lovely POS machines out there. Most open the cash drawer via a serial link (Or print to the receipt printer via serial etc). Most of the newer ones do this with a USB->serial device embedded in it. What are the chances a fair number of them used the cheaper chips?
Of course luckily most of these things have security updates disabled so there is that at least.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I'd laugh my balls off if somewhere something important breaks and ftdi end up getting sued

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

spankmeister posted:

I'd laugh my balls off if somewhere something important breaks and ftdi end up getting sued

I'll be surprised if they don't catch a lawsuit...

...from the end-user whose hardware got bricked. I mean, counterfeit chips or not, it's not doesn't immediately appear to be an accidental fuckup. IANAL, though, I can just hope all these lovely Toshibas here go toes-up because of this. :unsmigghh:

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Sirotan posted:

We give our users 150mb and disable the archiver. :v:

I'd strangle someone right quick if I worked where you work. I've always kept all of my sent and received mail, and it has saved my butt more than once.

That said I "only" manage to gather ~800 MB/year, and I'm one of the Exchange Admins (and has been on my last three jobs).

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We do the same as the guys with a small mailbox. We've had users throw a fit and the CEO actually said that if they didn't like it, there's the door.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Crowley posted:

I'd strangle someone right quick if I worked where you work. I've always kept all of my sent and received mail, and it has saved my butt more than once.

That said I "only" manage to gather ~800 MB/year, and I'm one of the Exchange Admins (and has been on my last three jobs).

We actually have a Barracuda email archiver that archives everything. It's one of those "just works" things that I have to do nothing to maintain and covers you for those rare CYA moments.

That said, I've got 22 emails in my inbox right now. If I get above 50 I hyperventilate a bit. I'll never understand the people with multiple gig OSTs.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
I made a legitimate effort to catch up on this thread.

gently caress that.

.....and printers

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

larchesdanrew posted:

I did this and went mandatory Gmail. We did a complete e-mail and storage migration to Google Apps from the awful hosted provider I inherited, which took months, but now I woot every day

The secret is, you don't ban Outlook. You tell users they have to set it up themselves :v:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I still wish Google Apps had a more structured way to build up a company shared folder structure on Drive.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Not sure if any of you watch Person of Interest, but this is Tech Support 101:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
A ticket came in. A handheld used for scanning products is broken. Backup? That one has been broken for a month, and we didn't want to bother you. :cripes:

Honestly, handhelds in general I am astounded even function for a day in retail establishments. I've dealt with it on both ends now, and the amount of absurd beating these things take and still work is pretty impressive. It has limits though, they don't work well when you've got the battery taped in with masking tape and wires sticking out the side of the still intact case somehow.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

Many thanks.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

larchesdanrew posted:

Can't you go over her head to her (or your) manager? It sounds like her hoarding and the support it requires is a significant drain on IT resources.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
This is a ridiculous question:

I'm about to roll out my first Win8.1 client (Surface Pro 3). What do you do with the start menu? I was thinking of removing everything except for our ~3 main LOB applications and the Office suit.

While we're on the subject - Anyone have any input about Surface tablets? I'm struggling to find a reason they are preferable over a small laptop.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Swink posted:

This is a ridiculous question:

I'm about to roll out my first Win8.1 client (Surface Pro 3). What do you do with the start menu? I was thinking of removing everything except for our ~3 main LOB applications and the Office suit.

While we're on the subject - Anyone have any input about Surface tablets? I'm struggling to find a reason they are preferable over a small laptop.

Eh, the surface is alright.... I would still prefer the flexibility of a laptop. My marketing users like em for trade shows and dog and pony demos. (I still think its a glorified keyboardless netbook)

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Swink posted:

I'm about to roll out my first Win8.1 client (Surface Pro 3). What do you do with the start menu?

Get a company license of StartIsBack?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

nthalp posted:

Eh, the surface is alright.... I would still prefer the flexibility of a laptop. My marketing users like em for trade shows and dog and pony demos. (I still think its a glorified keyboardless netbook)

I have a single use for them:

in the car for lync meetings, because Lync 2010 and 2013 on android seem to have problems joining meetings, aka they don't. v:saddowns:v

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I'm currently not answering my phone/email. There is a technician on-site at one of our (new) locations and he's calling to ask questions (I guess). I'm at home. I do not get paid to be on call. I am not supposed to be on call. I told the dispatcher that I wouldn't be on-site this time (I was last time).

I answer emails all the time when I'm at home when I shouldn't.

Totally unrelated, but we have a sysadmin who starts projects, finishes them about 80% of the way, dumps them on the helpdesk (me/us) and then moves on to another project. His current project: putting packetfence in place at all of our store locations. Currently it's at 3 (or possibly 4) places out of over 100, but he spends like 70% of his day troubleshooting why random stuff gets blocked, or why packetfence isn't ignoring a port on a switch that he said to ignore, or whatever. Which is fine--but instead of waiting until the issues are actually resolved, it will just get rolled out everywhere else. And nobody will bother telling us that the rollout is happening either, it will just randomly start one day and we'll get like 400 calls of people complaining that poo poo isn't working. With no idea how to fix it. And then this sysadmin (who is the only one of 4 sysadmins who knows anything about it) will be on vacation.

The biggest issue, which is absolutely going to happen and everyone knows it except for him: new registers will get installed at locations, be prevented from accessing the network, and then we'll never get them working.

e: I may have complained about this here before. I don't even know anymore.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

myron cope posted:

I'm currently not answering my phone/email. There is a technician on-site at one of our (new) locations and he's calling to ask questions (I guess). I'm at home. I do not get paid to be on call. I am not supposed to be on call. I told the dispatcher that I wouldn't be on-site this time (I was last time).

I answer emails all the time when I'm at home when I shouldn't.

Don't feel bad for having a (reasonably) healthy work-life balance. Hell call me on my personal phone for a work issue outside business hours. I will hang up. Jeez boundaries people, I don't live life just for the excitement of your next problem(gently caress up).

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Knormal posted:

Can't you go over her head to her (or your) manager? It sounds like her hoarding and the support it requires is a significant drain on IT resources.

I've tried. My supervisor is of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality (check my thread history, we're still running Server NT for our AD :smithicide:), and this, apparently, does not count as "broke." Anyone over his head is a technologically illiterate dinosaur who is desperately attached to Outlook who would just run right right back to my supervisor to verify. This isn't a new issue, either. The guy I replaced spent a major chunk of his tenure here dealing with her email woes. At one point, she convinced him to sit down to sort and filter about 15k emails for her, which she expects me to do since she lost all her settings with the new outlook file. gently caress that.

AlternateAccount posted:

I am no Outlook fan, but this is totally a user failure, not an Outlook failure.

I look at it as a really inefficient crutch for people to continue remaining ignorant of the technology they use. The kind of people who only know it as "my email" the same way they see Internet Explorer (and in my grandmother's case, Netscape) as simply "the internet." A huge portion of my job is trying to maintain a loving lovely office full of mismatched computers with varying outdated operating systems, all running varying editions of Outlook or Windows Live Mail or Thunderbird, and at least once every few days I have to go figure out why suddenly this Outlook isn't sending what's in the drafts folder or why suddenly this person isn't getting email on their phone. The whole goddamned issue would be null and void if everyone just used the web interface for their email needs, on both their PCs and mobile devices.

I guess I'm just e-mail program opposed, rather than specifically Outlook. At least if everyone is using the web interface, there's at least one loving thing at this place where everyone is using the same version.

Sorry for the rant. Outlook is basically my "gently caress Printers™"

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Outlook's web interface is not as good or easy to use as the client.

I also don't understand getting mad about email retention. I've never deleted an email. They get archived in various folders because multiple times my rear end has been saved when a coworker accuses me of dropping the ball on something and I'm able to produce emails where they committed to doing some follow up and clearly didn't bother following through. In two of those situations, the email was from over 2 years prior.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
I think the best rule my company has regarding Outlook is "PST's disabled, e-mails archived for no longer than a year, then Janitor will delete them. Need it? Save it. Otherwise, tough poo poo"

Doesn't stop me from seeing 10gb PST files on 20gb XP VM's becacuse Outlook's not set up to crunch the OST file every few weeks :bang:

I think we do have a limit on our hosted e-mail as well (I think it's 3gb?) but lol if that ever really gets noticed.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

You can save a shitload of emails when it's text only. Don't save your god drat 15 revisions of 5 meg PowerPoint attachments. I have 8 years in my sent items for just text, and my mailbox is less than 2 gigs.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Migishu posted:

I think the best rule my company has regarding Outlook is "PST's disabled, e-mails archived for no longer than a year, then Janitor will delete them. Need it? Save it. Otherwise, tough poo poo"

Doesn't stop me from seeing 10gb PST files on 20gb XP VM's becacuse Outlook's not set up to crunch the OST file every few days :bang:

I pitch a serious tent at the idea of being able to implement rules like this. As it stands, we basically have no rules. It's like the wild west over here. We have procedures people are supposed to follow, but none of it is enforceable and we have no ways of actually forcing people to do things a certain way. A while back we had issues with everyone updating their versions of Java, which broke a CNN asset website the reporters use for video footage. I spent an entire weekend up here rolling back Java versions on all these computers, then did a few registry and group policy tweaks to prevent Java from updating from anything but the Administrator account. I told my supervisor about it and he got pissed and made me go back and revert the changes because "it would cause problems in the future" and "it was working fine before."

GreenNight posted:

You can save a shitload of emails when it's text only. Don't save your god drat 15 revisions of 5 meg PowerPoint attachments. I have 8 years in my sent items for just text, and my mailbox is less than 2 gigs.

This woman gets a significant quantity of videos sent to her daily that are several hundred megabytes each. She refuses to save them locally so she just keeps them in her Outlook in case she needs them later.

A Frosty Witch fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 23, 2014

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

I get a bunch of multi-megabyte files e-mailed to me daily, and once in a while I'll have to go pick something out of one of them. Unfortunately I'm not in a position to address the cause of that, but even in this relatively extreme case it's not that big of a deal. I just create a PST with a date on it, fill it with large e-mails until it hits 5 GB or so after about a quarter, then dismount it from Outlook and create the next PST with the next date on it. As others have mentioned, having those kinds of records will help cover your rear end sooner or later.

That said, I've never archived a single e-mail that doesn't have an attachment, and I can barely notice the impact. Nothing is as useful as having everything searchable in one place.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Quick poll, who bothers with antistatic gear when opening up a machine? I always use it because one of my teachers was very serious business about it, but I've always been dubious about its usefulness when the machine is off and unplugged.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Quick poll, who bothers with antistatic gear when opening up a machine? I always use it because one of my teachers was very serious business about it, but I've always been dubious about its usefulness when the machine is off and unplugged.

Never used it.

That being said I've heard numerous times that static buildup can be enough to mess with hardware.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I usually end up keeping a hand on the bare metal inside of the case anyway, so I've never really bothered picking any up.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Never used it, never had an issue.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

I don't bother.

1.) The boots I often wear are electrostatic dissipative
2.) If I'm worried about static buildup, I'll tap a a piece of bare metal on a case.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

All the Dell techs I've seen do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I think wearing an ESD strap is probably a good habit to get into. My understanding is that semiconductors are getting more and more sensitive to ESD as they get smaller.

If you use a strap, you never have to wonder if you broke something by touching it.

Edit:

usefulness when the machine is off and unplugged.

I think it'd be a very bad idea to wear an ESD strap if the equipment is plugged in and on. The only time you should use one is when the equipment is off and unplugged.

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 23, 2014

• Locked thread