Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

robotsinmyhead posted:

The trope is that black people smoke menthols. Newports being a recognizable brand (see also: Kools)

Walking over the fact that plenty of people smoke menthols - it's just another stereotype. There's even a series anti-smoking ads now where some youths go into a corner store to buy cigarettes. The man behind the counter then demands something more than money - their smooth skin, hair, teeth, etc.

One of the clips is of a black kids who goes in an asks for a 'pack of menthols'. In later, obviously edited versions, he's dubbed over with 'pack of smokes'. Assuming there was some sort of backlash for fulfilling that stereotype?

That's stupid. Black people do smoke menthols at a much, much higher rate. Studies put it at 70%-90% black smokers smoke menthol cigarettes, and there are reasons menthol cigarettes are worse for you. Would you whitewash the higher rates of heart disease in the black community? No, you'd find the reason for the disparity and try to fix it. It's not a baseless stereotype, and it is a public health issue. It offends me that menthol cigarettes are marketed fiercely towards black consumers, to the point that a pack of Newports costs over $2.00 less in the intercity because they can move them faster. Pretending that tobacco companies do not intentionally target the black community with cigarettes that are more poisonous and harder to quit is not something we should ignore because it offends white people.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Oct 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Pretending that tobacco companies do not intentionally target the black community with cigarettes that are more poisonous and harder to quit is not something we should ignore because it offends white people.

I don't disagree with this. Put yourself in the place of someone who doesn't know that the problem is as bad as it is, and you might see why someone wouldn't want to put a spotlight on the stereotype.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So Bill Maher is going on about the recent shooting in Canada

Bill Maher posted:

#Canada: Turns out the attacker was Islamic - what are the odds, huh? Its almost like there's an elephant in the room. #ImTheLiberal

It ends with a picture of that dead Canadian solider and rest in peace.

KomradeX fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Oct 23, 2014

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

quote:

...you should not vote. There's no shame in it, your vote is statistically unlikely to affect the outcome of an election

Amazing. "Don't worry about voting, your vote doesn't matter anyway, but it's very very important to us that you don't do it!"

KomradeX posted:

So Bill Maher is going on about the resent shooting in Canada

Oh great here comes the D&D leftist circlejerk of Maher-hate :rolleyes:. None of you sancitmonious assholes are even going to stop for a second to consider that it can't be racism if all Muslims really are baby-eating savages.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Oct 23, 2014

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Darkman Fanpage posted:

You've never heard of an Uncle Tom before have you?

It had been about a month since D&D decided to be use slurs I guess!

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Fair enough, stereotypes are usually bullshit, but let it be known this one is real. It isn't an intrinsic quality of people with melanin real or imagined, it is a manufactured trend that is actively harmful so I find it cowardly that they edited the PSA to protect the tobacco lobby.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

KomradeX posted:

It ends with a picture of that dead Canadian solider and rest in peace.

Darren Wilson is Christian. So are Michael Dunn and George Zimmerman. Hmmmm. #justsaying

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Beamed posted:

It's not a term used exclusively for blacks dumbass.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Double down on the alienation and distrust, that will definitely make radicalization and violence less likely!

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE BILLIONAIRES ?!?!?

stereotypes are usually bullshit, but let it be known this one is real.

What makes stereotypes bullshit isn't that they don't line up statistically - they sometimes do - it's that people use them as a shorthand for an entire group, prejudging each individual according to the stereotype.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Fair enough, stereotypes are usually bullshit, but let it be known this one is real. It isn't an intrinsic quality of people with melanin real or imagined, it is a manufactured trend that is actively harmful so I find it cowardly that they edited the PSA to protect the tobacco lobby.

He's right^^^. Newports and Kools are consumed much, much more by blacks than whites. I don't know why but Babylon Astronaut's not wrong.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

BiggerBoat posted:

He's right^^^. Newports and Kools are consumed much, much more by blacks than whites. I don't know why but Babylon Astronaut's not wrong.

Are they less expensive? Because if when the system has failed and alienated African-American communities to the point of poverty, the less expensive brands would be much more attractive/popular in those areas, thus skewing the observed samples.

If a lot of middle class families like them, though, it's probably just confirmation bias.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Beamed posted:

But Aaron McGruder is black, and created a show with a grotesquely caricatured Uncle Tom? Are we just supposed to pretend that never happened and act like him and his show are invisible?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Chokes McGee posted:

Are they less expensive? Because if when the system has failed and alienated African-American communities to the point of poverty, the less expensive brands would be much more attractive/popular in those areas, thus skewing the observed samples.

If a lot of middle class families like them, though, it's probably just confirmation bias.

Newports are one of the most expensive main brands.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

VitalSigns posted:

Oh great here comes the D&D leftist circlejerk of Maher-hate :rolleyes:. None of you sancitmonious assholes are even going to stop for a second to consider that it can't be racism if all Muslims really are baby-eating savages.

Bill Maher proves once more that, out of the many professional trolls in the media spotlight, he's among the most effective.

That being said, I hope we go 100 pages without talking about him again. Maher's not a right wing pundit anyway.

Ninjasaurus fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 23, 2014

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
http://allaboutbeer.com/article/a-story-without-heroes-the-cautionary-tale-of-malt-liquor/ While not menthols, this is the story of how malt liquor became associated with the black community. Fascinating read and that that, presumably, has repeated itself in with other products as well.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Chokes McGee posted:

They are not cheaper then other cigs and are very popular with black people.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
I'm white and I smoked Newports. So did a Vietnamese girl I dated years back.

I also smoked Parliaments.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Kool cigarettes started the trend. They came into vogue with African Americans when 'cool' was associated with jazz culture. While the Marlboro man was a white-male-power fantasy, black men weren't exactly pining for the old days in the 1970's. The tobacco industry commissioned all kinds of studies trying to pin down black masculinity, and over time they honed their marketing. They now will argue that they are merely supplying what the market wants, but they created it whole cloth.

Black men want to be smooth

Black men still want to be tough

Subvert what is conventionally cool

But who is really the coolest, hipsters or jocks?

Jazz

Jazz gives way to hip-hop

Associating menthol with blackness is one of the most pervasive advertizing campaigns of all time. Another weird one is that long skinny cigarettes are for women, and short cigarettes are "catered to the African American lung." Yes, they said that.

Badera
Jan 30, 2012

Student Brian Boyko has lost faith in America.
This is the least interesting derail.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Sorry. I'll make sure to ignore the black experience in the future. Again, sorry to waste your precious time with a friend of the family derail.

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE BILLIONAIRES ?!?!?

Again, sorry to waste your precious time with a friend of the family derail.
Did...did you just imply someone was racist for not getting on board your "black preference for menthols is injustice!" platform?

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.
This is what happens when I quote Tucker Carlson.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

God I love D&D

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Badera posted:

This is the least interesting derail.

It's actually really interesting, unlike your posting.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

mr. mephistopheles posted:

It's actually really interesting, unlike your posting.

:drat:

oh wait, am I allowed to use that?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I thought it was interesting, but not caring about which types of cigarette are marketed toward which demographics doesn't make you racist :shrug:

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

N. Senada posted:

:drat:

oh wait, am I allowed to use that?

Quick, someone give that emoticon a pack of newports!

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I wish the product wasn't so evil, because a company sponsoring a jazz festival is cool in my book. :smith:.

My mom smoked "Kool" when I was a kid. (I am as white as white can be), so I always found that a bit odd.

I'm in a weird predicament because I would never smoke, and would never, ever do it for health reasons (I theorize it gave my mother cancer, and well..yeah...not touching it).

But here's what sucks. They funded a lot of cool things I liked watching growing up (Auto Racing), and yeah..that money is no longer there.

Hopefully Big Marijuana can replace Big Tobacco some day soon.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

FuzzySkinner posted:

Hopefully Big Marijuana can replace Big Tobacco some day soon.

I've actually heard that Big Tobacco is waiting in the wings to fill the legal-marijuana void as soon as this becomes nationally feasible. Which would suck. I'm hoping we end up with something more like the craft-beer scene.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

loquacius posted:

I've actually heard that Big Tobacco is waiting in the wings to fill the legal-marijuana void as soon as this becomes nationally feasible. Which would suck. I'm hoping we end up with something more like the craft-beer scene.

No,

Marijuana is much easier to produce than Tobacco and there are companies already producing marijuana that have experience and might even have a patent or two.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

loquacius posted:

Something like the craft-beer scene that currently does not exist because of Big Beer? You'll have both, you doofus.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

loquacius posted:

You would think they would be dropping billions into campaigns to get this done, you know?

It would be one of the few times I would support corporate lobbying.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

FuzzySkinner posted:

You would think they would be dropping billions into campaigns to get this done, you know?

It would be one of the few times I would support corporate lobbying.

You'd think big oil companies would be the first ones in line to cash in on the alternative energy movement too but they're not. Which is strange because they have the capital and the infrastructure to take advantage of it.

I dunno. I think an advertising/demographics/lobbying thread that explores what makes things popular would be interesting. This isn't the worst derail I've read but it doesn't really fit the topic of the thread.

What the gently caress is it about Bill Maher that sends this thread into the crapper every 100 pages or so? Have no right wing pundits said anything insane in the last three days?

Here we go. Unions, Obama hedging on terror and Honey Boo Boo from FOX front page:

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

You'd think big oil companies would be the first ones in line to cash in on the alternative energy movement too but they're not. Which is strange because they have the capital and the infrastructure to take advantage of it.

Oil companies are mostly invested in producing oil, which is a fundamentally different industry than renewable energy. Building and operating a multi-billion dollar refinery doesn't give you any advantage at all in building solar panels or nuclear reactors

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

What the gently caress is it about Bill Maher that sends this thread into the crapper every 100 pages or so?

Bill Maher leans left and (justifiably) mocks the religious right, and for this reason sometimes people will overlook his bigotry even though his opinions are structurally the same as Rush Limbaugh's "Now I'm not saying most blacks are violent criminals but it sure seems to me like most violent criminals are black so maybe we ought not be afraid to ask some hard questions about their culture. Hmmmmmm. HMMMMMMMM." That's really it.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Do have an actual example?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Tab8715 posted:

KomradeX posted:

Bill Maher posted:

#Canada: Turns out the attacker was Islamic - what are the odds, huh? Its almost like there's an elephant in the room. #ImTheLiberal

Turns out the murderer was black - what are the odds, huh? Its almost like there's an elephant in the room. #ImTheLiberal

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Shbobdb posted:

http://allaboutbeer.com/article/a-story-without-heroes-the-cautionary-tale-of-malt-liquor/ While not menthols, this is the story of how malt liquor became associated with the black community. Fascinating read and that that, presumably, has repeated itself in with other products as well.

So what you're saying is Black Dynamite was not accurate?

Tab8715 posted:

Bill Maher posted:

Now just delete #Canada and replace Islamic with Black whenever a crime is committed and you have a literal Freep post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Heh, I see where you're coming from now and looking at the whole Canadian shooting I find it interesting that so many people are jumping onto his religious belief as opposed to his criminal history and drug abuse.