Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

rabidsquid posted:

I am still not convinced Treasure Cruise needs to be banned, basing anything off MTGO is going to skew results towards cheap decks, and U/R decks running it tend to be very cheap for Modern decks.

U/R Delver was one of the go-to cheap entry decks to modern before Treasure Cruise (my friend started with it while I went U Tron when we got into modern several months ago), so it isn't too surprising it's exploded even more.

And to be fair, LSV clowns on everyone pretty much no matter what deck he plays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

suicidesteve posted:

Treasure Cruise talk: It needs to be banned. I'm 16/19 in modern matches with my new deck playing against Treasure Cruise decks (13 UR Delver, 1 UR Solitaire, and the same UWR Delver guy twice, the others being Zoo, GR Tron and Scapeshift playing Dig.) I used to play against other decks. Now I just beat down on Delver. It's nice because free packs, but it's so boring. I was at the point last night where if I played 1 more Delver deck I was quitting modern until Cruise was banned. Which segues nicely into..
I think it'll even out. Cruise works best in red/blue delver, and it's working against Snap and Grim. I think the fad will die down and you wont see it as much after 1-2 months. RIP is very good right now.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

xeose4 posted:

Wow that was very thorough! Thanks, I'll definitely check those out.

Out of curiosity, have they ever printed a vampire card that lets you turn an enemy's creature into a vampire (in addition to its current creature types) and then gives you control of it? It seems like a thing that is bound to see print at some point.

Olivia Voldaren?

Edit: gently caress beaten like a hundred times!

So: Should I slot treasure cruise into modern infect?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

xeose4 posted:

Wow that was very thorough! Thanks, I'll definitely check those out.

Out of curiosity, have they ever printed a vampire card that lets you turn an enemy's creature into a vampire (in addition to its current creature types) and then gives you control of it? It seems like a thing that is bound to see print at some point.

Everyone already said Olivia Voldaren, but there's also Captivating Vampire.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
More like Ownedlivia Voldaren :c00lbert:

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Attorney at Funk posted:

Around a year ago they fired all their commentators besides Cedric Phillips and Patrick Sullivan (and sometimes Patrick Chapin and that guy with the hat that pronounces all the card names wrong). They've also standardized their Open formats, losing the couple Team Limited Opens there were the year before in exchange for a consistent Saturday Standard/Sunday Legacy format. They only recently stopped streamlining their circuit and coverage offerings and are just beginning to expand from the base they built up over the last year (the one that sees their coverage numbers surpass even same-format simultaneous GPs). SCG is also *the* premier source of Legacy coverage, so cutting back on that is giving up one of their greatest advantages.

They could obviously put down the money to add people and cameras to cover the Modern events, and I expect they will, but their priorities don't seem to quite be there yet.
Didn't WOTC just cut a bunch of modern events from the pro tour? Honestly I'm not sure what is going on with any of the productions(CFB/TCG/SCG/ggslive) in regards to Modern.

Modern is much more exciting to show especially to newer players. They really should be pimping it more.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

suicidesteve posted:

This is the absolute truth. Google "Troll RUG Delver." It's probably the greatest MtG video ever produced, but one match (I think it's match 3 game 2?) will teach you why fetching basics against a Wasteland deck is a bad idea. The opponent is playing Deathblade and spends his first 3 fetches on his Esper colored basics. He ends up with 3 lands and the inability to cast none of his threats which all cost CC (Jace, Lili, etc.)

Fetching basics the first three turns in that deck is dumb. I still think fetching a T1 Basic is the right move most of the time if you have another fetch or a dual in hand.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Everyone somehow forgetting that Captivating Vampire existed.

xeose4
Sep 22, 2014

LordSaturn posted:

Everyone already said Olivia Voldaren, but there's also Captivating Vampire.

Wow, she is actually the perfect colour combination too. :swoon:

Captivating vampire looks awesome.

Is there a werewolf equivalent of Olivia, by any chance?

EDIT: Is Captivating Vampire's an activated ability? If not, what type of ability is it? Can you counter it? What happens to the vampires you tapped if you counter that ability (somehow)? Do they untap?

xeose4 fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Oct 23, 2014

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Mikujin posted:

How could anyone forget the vampire lock, greatest of all dreams in draft strats

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

xeose4 posted:

Not as far as I know, but the best Werewolf card is Huntmaster of the Fells. There's also Wolfir Silverheart which is pretty good.
e: Yes it's an activated ability, it can get countered by stuff like Stifle and Squelch, and no they don't untap if it does get countered.

neetengie fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 23, 2014

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

TheKingofSprings posted:

How does the deck not just roll over and die to Carytid/Siege Rhino then?

You either keep firing burn at their face and hope to just do it fast enough before a 2nd-4th Rhino comes down, or, like Shaun McClaren, whose configuration is the one I favor, you do just roll to those Rhinos and get 2nd at the Pro Tour. :shrug:

edit: Josh Silvestri addresses the Abzan menace specifically in his take on Jeskai here: http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/silvestri-says-from-jeskai-to-boss-sligh/ and how he basically came up with a list that over-commits sideboard slots to the Abzan matchup at the expense of the rest of the field

MiddleEastBeast fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 23, 2014

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

xeose4 posted:

Huntmaster of the Fells
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=262875

There are no Innistraad Legendary werewolves.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

xeose4 posted:

Nope. The werewolf mechanic is really specific, so it'd end up feeling pretty wonky. You do get Mayor of Avabruck and Immerwolf to buff your dudes, though.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

JerryLee posted:

Unless Modern Cruise is actually overly strong--which your experiences seem to suggest is not the case, though on the other hand LSV just basically clowns on everyone with it in his videos--I'd rather not see the card banned in Modern soon, or at all. It seems like it might just be everyone jumping on a bandwagon, which is a problem that can solve itself.

Eh, my experience is skewed because I'm playing Norin Soul Sisters. It turns out gaining 15 life against an opponent who is trying to race you is good. Pretty much the only way I've lost is mana screw or drawing 0 of my 8-ofs, and I can still win through that if my draw is Champion on the Parish x3 + Norin.

Edit: before Treasure Cruise I had played UR Delver exactly 0 times. It was actually a decent meta, if short on BGx decks. Now it's all I play.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 23, 2014

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

xeose4 posted:

EDIT: Is Captivating Vampire's an activated ability? If not, what type of ability is it? Can you counter it? What happens to the vampires you tapped if you counter that ability (somehow)? Do they untap?

It's an activated ability. They stay tapped, just as if you'd paid mana (You'd lose the mana). They untap whenever they'd next untap, as normal.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

xeose4 posted:

Olivia Voldaren was literally "Dracula" in playtesting.

They made a mythic R/G werewolf in Huntmaster of the Fells, but they didn't make it legendary because it double-faced cards complicate things and then everyone was super-pissed that there was therefore no legendary werewolf for commander.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

xeose4 posted:

EDIT: Is Captivating Vampire's an activated ability? If not, what type of ability is it?

The general rule for future reference is text of the form "[Cost]: [stuff]" (look for the colon) represents activated abilities. Triggered abilities begin with "When", "Whenever", or "At".

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Entropic posted:

They made a mythic R/G werewolf in Huntmaster of the Fells, but they didn't make it legendary because it double-faced cards complicate things and then everyone was super-pissed that there was therefore no legendary werewolf for commander.

Which is stupid since in that same block you could have two Mikaeus side by side and the game would not give a poo poo.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Entropic posted:

I don't see how making it so that a double faced legendary card can only exist alone at any point as either half couldn't been a thing they added to the already massive list of rules.

Example, let's say Huntmaster was legendary:
"If Huntmaster of the Fells is transformed, it is still considered Huntmaster of the Fells as part of the Legendary Creature Rule."

Done, I guess.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I thought the problem was more "I have Werewolf Guy and Transformed Werewolf Guy, but then I set off the day/night trigger and I have to sac one of them."

The obvious answer is to give Werewolf Guy the Immerwolf ability.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Korak posted:

Didn't WOTC just cut a bunch of modern events from the pro tour? Honestly I'm not sure what is going on with any of the productions(CFB/TCG/SCG/ggslive) in regards to Modern.

No, they run one Modern PT a year. They'd originally wanted to cut it for another Standard PT because Modern doesn't sell the new set as well, but people complained and they changed it back. Modern support at the GP level is going up and Modern GPs routinely pull huge numbers including the largest ever Constructed GP (Richmond earlier this year).

The main thing that might cut back on Modern is the lack of format-specific PTQ seasons going forward, which means that far fewer people are now required to play Modern if they don't want to. I don't know how that's going to shake out going forward. I don't PTQ.

Count Bleck posted:

I don't see how making it so that a double faced legendary card can only exist alone at any point as either half couldn't been a thing they added to the already massive list of rules.

Example, let's say Huntmaster was legendary:
"If Huntmaster of the Fells is transformed, it is still considered Huntmaster of the Fells as part of the Legendary Creature Rule."

Done, I guess.

They could've, they just decided at the time that it wasn't worth the mess. Mark Rosewater's said he regrets it.

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
"I think, therefore I am" brings little comfort in this case.
As someone who just finished building Sub-sligh from odds and sods trading, pretty pumped for that promo! Possibly even more than for promo Stoke the Flames.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
OK this Jeskai burn draft dec is hilarious, 2 deflecting palms, 3 arrowstorms, and a bunch of other garbage, I'm in love

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Actually the takeaway is that people care way too much about lines of text that make a card strictly worse in all but a tiny fraction of circumstances no one actually cares about.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

LordSaturn posted:

I thought the problem was more "I have Werewolf Guy and Transformed Werewolf Guy, but then I set off the day/night trigger and I have to sac one of them."

Or just leave people to treat it the same way as they would a normal legendary creature. If you play your own Unflipped Legendary Dude into a board that already has your Flipped Legendary Dude on it, it's potentially as bad a move as if you were just playing a second copy of a normal legendary creature, just hidden behind an extra condition. If there's a place where you can get an extra short-term advantage by playing the unflipped dude, then you do so at your own risk. It's hardly a unique situation in Magic, in general terms.

This was before they changed the Legendary rule again so there was an extra layer of potential fuckery, but it seems like the worry was that having a flip blow both of the legends up would be an extra feelbad because it was one step removed from the original decision to play the second legend--except it's still not something that you can't expect a reasonable human being to foresee. If you don't want to risk legend ruling things, don't play the second card even if it's a safe move right this instant.

Or was the worry that legally having two different copies of the same legendarly character would be a flavor miss? Except that already has plenty of precedent, with differently named legends, or with characters that have a creature card and a planeswalker card, etc.

Attorney at Funk posted:

They could've, they just decided at the time that it wasn't worth the mess. Mark Rosewater's said he regrets it.

Basically this, except from the peanut gallery it looked dumb even at the time since the "mess" isn't actually anything exceptionally unusual or intractable by Magical standards.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
The thing about Huntmaster/Ravager is he's the only Werewolf you really want to keep flipping back and forth. All the others you kinda want to get into Werewolf form and keep them there.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Mikujin posted:

Also Sorin, Lord of Innistrad has an ultimate ability to take control of enemy creatures, though it doesn't grant the Vampire type.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

LordSaturn posted:

There is literally a werewolf boss mentioned in the Planeswalkers' Guide that is a werewolf who doesn't ever change back to human-mode. Honk.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

rabidsquid posted:

If MTG is currently lacking anything it's pedants.

It will be their best-selling set!

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
I'm not one to poo poo on v4 but the graveyard change in the update is just awful.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

whydirt posted:

I honestly think fetchlands are a bigger culprit in terms of warping the metagame. They enable too many things at once, add additional shuffles that slow down real life play, and make other dual lands second tier. Cruise without fetches is probably too slow for most non-Standard formats.

I know they'd never ban them, but I think it'd make Modern a healthier format in the long run if they did.

Without fetchlands I would run blood moon decks until the end of time.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

frameset posted:

Without fetchlands I would run blood moon decks until the end of time.

I don't think there would be a reason to run a deck that wasn't monocolored if there wasn't a way to get quick efficient fixing.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Count Bleck posted:

I don't think there would be a reason to run a deck that wasn't monocolored if there wasn't a way to get quick efficient fixing.

There are plenty of two-colour decks in Modern today that don't run fetchlands. Admittedly, three colours would probably be a bit of a stretch.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Count Bleck posted:

We'd still have Pain-lands, Shock-lands, Check-lands, and the set of Ally lands from SoM.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Equilibrium posted:

I did not know before this moment how much I wanted a Mesozoic-themed set. Give me my fantasy Dinosaurs already, Wizards.

I know this was posted a while back, but Muraganda is probably the best hope we have for that.

whateverfor
Jul 23, 2007
fuck you sped

rabidsquid posted:

I am still not convinced Treasure Cruise needs to be banned, basing anything off MTGO is going to skew results towards cheap decks, and U/R decks running it tend to be very cheap for Modern decks.

It's skewed a little but it was never this bad before. The meta is completely warped by the card, we're up to 20% delver, 20% burn in the winning decklists in daily events the last few weeks, and it's getting worse as more people are getting the message (Last daily was 32% burn 20% delver for reference). Before Treasure cruise I'd typically run into 7 different matchups if I played 2 four round dailies, in my last 2 I only played 3, U/R delver, Burn, and a Zoo deck with 4x maindeck Chalice of the Void to hate on burn. It's retarded.

Nissir
Apr 23, 2007
Man with no Title
Might have missed it, but what were you rolling over delver decks with online?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I think some goon posted the start of this list but this is now the official list of terms for clan members: Jes'guys, Mardudes, Te(a)msters, Sultans, and Abzantees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Chill la Chill posted:

I think some goon posted the start of this list but this is now the official list of terms for clan members: Jes'guys, Mardudes, Te(a)msters, Sultans, and Abzantees.

Outlast with the Abzan Tease.

• Locked thread