Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
As soon as I saw "early 2000s" I would have told him that computers are literally a hundred times faster than they were back then and the miniscule slowdown is acceptable for greater convenience.

EDIT: Oh hey, new page. Hmm. Pissing me off lately: "We don't know what it does. Let's disconnect it from the network and see who complains!" diagnosis. Especially when the absence of the thing wasn't noticed until two weeks later by which time everyone involved forgot they did this...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

spog posted:

Has that every been true? I can't recall any issues with an excess of shortcuts.

I'm pretty sure I've read an article debunking the myth that also stated that back in the Windows 95 era or so it was actually true, but I can't find it now. Closest Google would take me was this, which does seem to imply that it kinda mattered in the dark ages.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

spog posted:

Has that every been true? I can't recall any issues with an excess of shortcuts.

I know if you had like 100,000 files in one directory it could get slow (maybe more? I've only ran into something that dumb a handful of times)

mewse
May 2, 2006

Desktop Support guy back in 2006 told me that moving the mouse while the computer is working on stuff makes things slower because it's generating interrupts

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

mewse posted:

Desktop Support guy back in 2006 told me that moving the mouse while the computer is working on stuff makes things slower because it's generating interrupts

Not true, you gotta move the mouse around a lot to make things load faster!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

mewse posted:

Wasn't there a DailyWTF or CodingHorror where they found a program that ran faster if you moved the mouse?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
What if the icons are arranged by penis?

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
When I got my first PC a friend tried to tell me the same thing. He selected everything in C:\ of my brand new 30GB HDD with a fresh windows 98SE install and copied it to the desktop using a batch script to delete folders. While everything slowed to a halt he proudly proclaimed "This is why you never have more than five items on your desktop." with the smuggest :smug: face.

I believed it for a few years until I thought back and realised he was a god drat idiot.

Hughmoris posted:

This can be pushed out by Group Policy now right? Do so and send an email to all departments about the CEO's new initiative for system speed optimisation.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I used to be OCD about deleting shortcuts and icons but now I just launch everything from 'Run' so I don't give a gently caress. And I never look at my desktop except when my computer first boots up and I'm waiting that 2 seconds for Outlook and Firefox to open up.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

mewse posted:

This was actually a thing once. Like, in the days of the 8086. An interrupt does exactly what it says on the tin - it interrupts whatever the processor is doing in order to have it deal with a priority task, and UI responsiveness is considered a priority.

Of course these days the processing time is so minuscule it doesn't mean anything and I'm pretty sure it's actually handled in a much more efficient way with modern architectures anyway.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

poo poo pissing me off this month: Trying to find any real information on products from MSP software companies like Labtech and Connectwise. Just so many layers upon layers of marketing garbage that I don't want to give any of these companies my money.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I've been having some arm/wrist/elbow/neck issues lately. Some are new, some have been around and ignored for a while. Decided to finally do something about it; saw a doc, am in physical therapy, installed a keyboard tray on my desk. Both the doc and PT person told me a standing desk would be a good idea for me, since it breaks up your routine and will help me have less lovely posture.

There is a $3000 Steelcase Series 5 standing desk positioned in a common area of our 1 year old building. No one uses it except for one person who will very occasionally (once or twice a week for like 15 minutes, at most) stand there with her laptop while she is in-between meetings. My boss talked to her about me trying out the desk for a while, she had no problem with it at all. Then he went to go talk to the quasi-building manager lady, and this has apparently set off all kinds of stupid petty drama. "Well if Sirotan uses the desk, what is other people ask for one?" "Can't she just use a keyboard tray?" "Does she really have a problem?"

Cool guys, thanks for making me feel like a valued employee. I told the doctor I saw he didn't need to write me a note since I figured everyone would be reasonable about things. Guess they are going to make me do this the hard way.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:

Hughmoris posted:

As long as you place The Website at the tip of the penis, you're fine.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Sirotan posted:

I've been having some arm/wrist/elbow/neck issues lately. Some are new, some have been around and ignored for a while. Decided to finally do something about it; saw a doc, am in physical therapy, installed a keyboard tray on my desk. Both the doc and PT person told me a standing desk would be a good idea for me, since it breaks up your routine and will help me have less lovely posture.

There is a $3000 Steelcase Series 5 standing desk positioned in a common area of our 1 year old building. No one uses it except for one person who will very occasionally (once or twice a week for like 15 minutes, at most) stand there with her laptop while she is in-between meetings. My boss talked to her about me trying out the desk for a while, she had no problem with it at all. Then he went to go talk to the quasi-building manager lady, and this has apparently set off all kinds of stupid petty drama. "Well if Sirotan uses the desk, what is other people ask for one?" "Can't she just use a keyboard tray?" "Does she really have a problem?"

Cool guys, thanks for making me feel like a valued employee. I told the doctor I saw he didn't need to write me a note since I figured everyone would be reasonable about things. Guess they are going to make me do this the hard way.
Did a lot of ergonomics in school and this is so so important. No, you don't need to spend $3k, but when it's health and safety on the line virtually any dollar total is worth it.

Standing right now :cheers: I have this: http://www.amazon.com/VARIDESK-34563-Pro-Plus/dp/B00JI6NCCK/ - I'm on it about 3 hours a day and my persistent neck pain has pretty much vanished. It's hard to work on when it's lowered (or at least hard to keep neutral wrist position), so it's better to have a bigger or L-shaped desk and push it off to the side

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Sirotan posted:

lovely Drama

We are going to start a remodeling in the office at the end of the month so people are being moved up a floor we are renting in the mean time and holy jesus do people bitch and cry about not being near a window. Being IT we of course got the dark enclosed corner that Marketing didn't want which is going to be sit out with dis-guarded hardware, cables and a "Abandon all hope ye who enter here!" sign.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Roargasm posted:

Did a lot of ergonomics in school and this is so so important. No, you don't need to spend $3k, but when it's health and safety on the line virtually any dollar total is worth it.

Standing right now :cheers: I have this: http://www.amazon.com/VARIDESK-34563-Pro-Plus/dp/B00JI6NCCK/ - I'm on it about 3 hours a day and my persistent neck pain has pretty much vanished. It's hard to work on when it's lowered (or at least hard to keep neutral wrist position), so it's better to have a bigger or L-shaped desk and push it off to the side

I had honestly been looking at this: http://www.thehumansolution.com/uplift-900-electric-sit-stand-desk-black.html and thinking "holy poo poo, $800 is a ton of money" before I looked up the cost of the 98%-of-the-time-unused standing desk that already is in our office.

I've been here almost 5 years, I figured even if they had to buy me one outright, $800 shouldn't be a ridiculous cost to keep me happy. lol it's me, I'm the moron

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 23, 2014

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Pissing me off: business users who deal with compensation information on a daily basis who have never heard of encrypting files. The person in question has never even heard of WinZip.

Not pissing me off: honest executives who don't pretend to be a team member. [paraphrased] "You guys are nice and all but if this project goes poorly, you'll get fired, but I'm not getting fired. I like me a lot more than I like you, and I'm not going down with this ship."

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Sirotan posted:

I had honestly been looking at this: http://www.thehumansolution.com/uplift-900-electric-sit-stand-desk-black.html and thinking "holy poo poo, $800 is a ton of money" before I looked up the cost of the 98%-of-the-time-unused standing desk that already is in our office.

I've been here almost 5 years, I figured even if they had to buy me one out outright, $800 shouldn't be a ridiculous cost to keep me happy. lol it's me, I'm the moron

There's always this: http://www.chairigami.com/store/p32/Kickstarter_Standing_Desk.html - don't know the durability of it though.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

BigPaddy posted:

We are going to start a remodeling in the office at the end of the month so people are being moved up a floor we are renting in the mean time and holy jesus do people bitch and cry about not being near a window. Being IT we of course got the dark enclosed corner that Marketing didn't want which is going to be sit out with dis-guarded hardware, cables and a "Abandon all hope ye who enter here!" sign.

Going through a similar thing, we have two interns coming in (for a week) and three more permanent staff members; we have three desk spaces left scattered in the office. I proposed a plan to remove someones lovely end desk and turn it, add another one from storage against it so it properly lines up like every other bank of desks we have; then presto! we have four new spaces to utilise!

Nope, not happening. One of us three people dubbed "The engine of the business" has to move away to the sales area because the new general admin person MUST sit next to my colleage. The boss wasn't impressed with my adding a desk to her oversized private empty office, and it's straight up inhumane to cram someone next to the production printer.

Everything about moving into this office has been astounding retarded, from the lack of space, no break area, and being too cheap to put adequate wall data/power points next to the desks; but oh no... the office is "prestigious".

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids

Sirotan posted:

Rule of thumb: never ever decline a doctor's note. That poo poo is a get out of jail free card. Your employer is last on the list of who is going to give a poo poo about you, let alone value you, so get it in writing, CYA, etc.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

eithedog posted:

There's always this: http://www.chairigami.com/store/p32/Kickstarter_Standing_Desk.html - don't know the durability of it though.

lol I'm not going to use a desk made out of cardboard

Chalets the Baka posted:

Rule of thumb: never ever decline a doctor's note. That poo poo is a get out of jail free card. Your employer is last on the list of who is going to give a poo poo about you, let alone value you, so get it in writing, CYA, etc.

Already got a call in to his office. He told me he could still write one after I declined. I'm going to get one and go right to HR and make them put it in my record. It's not like they didn't already know I had ergonomics issues, when we moved into this building a year ago I specially requested a keyboard tray on my desk MONTHS before we moved, to make sure I'd get one from day 1 and not have issues. Made sure to check in with the building manager several times just to be sure. We move into the building and wouldn't you know, no keyboard tray. Had to wait about three weeks for one. Now the same person responsible for getting me the tray is having a hissy fit that I want to try the standing desk. People have been streaming into my boss' office to talk about me. It's utterly infuriating.

IT'S JUST A DESK, PEOPLE! NO ONE IS EVEN USING IT!! arrrghghghhghhhh why does there need to be drama over this

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 23, 2014

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Sirotan posted:

lol I'm not going to use a desk made out of cardboard

Already got a call in to his office. He told me he could still write one after I declined. I'm going to get one and go right to HR and make them put it in my record. It's not like they didn't already know I had ergonomics issues, when we moved into this building a year ago I specially requested a keyboard tray on my desk MONTHS before we moved, to make sure I'd get one from day 1 and not have issues. Made sure to check in with the building manager several times just to be sure. We move into the building and wouldn't you know, no keyboard tray. Had to wait about three weeks for one. Now the same person responsible for getting me the tray is having a hissy fit that I want to try the standing desk. People have been streaming into my boss' office to talk about me. It's utterly infuriating.

IT'S JUST A DESK, PEOPLE! NO ONE IS EVEN USING IT!! arrrghghghhghhhh why does there need to be drama over this

Because our industry is full libertard morons who don't believe in Unions so we're left with no leverage in negotiating our working conditions. Management views us as a cost center and at best a necessary evil, the bean counters have a hard time (or aren't interested in) quantifying the value we add to the business unlike sales people who's contributions are easily quantified.

Typically the only time non-IT people think about us is when something breaks and then they're mad that we haven't magically fixed it already.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

eithedog posted:

quote:

Cardboard
:argh:

It's corrugated paper, not cardboard. (Sorry, I worked at a plant that made boxes and they tend to beat that into your head.)

To contribute:
Being put on a project, yet not given all of the documentation. I'm supposed to be deploying the agent for the Kace device via GPO and was given some of the instructions, but not all of them. I also think that they have the install script wrong. It keeps referencing a completely different msi name than what was provided.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I changed jobs a little while back, and part of the separation process was deciding what to do with the money in my company pension account. I opted for the simplest thing, which was to just let them hang on to it and start distribution on the date I specified. I'm still relatively young, so I just put in my birthday about 30 years from now.

I got an email from the HR lady asking me to confirm I wanted payments to start in 2043 or whenever, which I did.

"That is what I thought. Contact us a few months before are 65 and we can start the process."

Why the hell does the form ask for a date if I still have to call them 30 years from now to get my money?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Well ok the CEO has now personally visited me regarding this issue. She took one look at my cube (which is the same as every other cube) and promptly said "yes we're going to move that. Well by me I mean you can move it." And then walked out.

I'm not even sure what that means honestly. I can use the desk? I'm going to just wait to get something in writing. Jesus.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Sirotan posted:

Well ok the CEO has now personally visited me regarding this issue. She took one look at my cube (which is the same as every other cube) and promptly said "yes we're going to move that. Well by me I mean you can move it." And then walked out.

I'm not even sure what that means honestly. I can use the desk? I'm going to just wait to get something in writing. Jesus.

Stop whatever you're doing and drag the desk to where you want it.

Man Yam
Aug 31, 2004
Pickle. No! You pickle!
Most of the IT department at my office has a standing desk of some sort, and a couple other folks with back issues also use the standing desks:

I use an ergotron workfit-a: http://www.amazon.com/Ergotron-24-257-026-WorkFit-A-Dual/dp/B0076GS1RA

Not as sturdy as their other models due to the adjustable arm, and there is very little workspace, but I have not had any problems.

Most of the other users have the workfit-s, which only allows vertical movement = more stable:
http://www.amazon.com/Ergotron-Work...words=workfit-s

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Skex posted:

Because our industry is full libertard morons who don't believe in Unions so we're left with no leverage in negotiating our working conditions. Management views us as a cost center and at best a necessary evil, the bean counters have a hard time (or aren't interested in) quantifying the value we add to the business unlike sales people who's contributions are easily quantified.

Typically the only time non-IT people think about us is when something breaks and then they're mad that we haven't magically fixed it already.

Oh for gently caress's sake, please briskly walk to the nearest incinerator and throw yourself into it.

It has nothing to do with politics or even economics. It has to do with playground horseshit of people who are still functionally children who will go out of their way to keep someone else from getting something special even if they don't want it for themselves.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Our Stockholm office is all stand/sit desks that you can adjust and I have an Aeron. Unfortunately our mexico city office has just big long tables because ~~startup feeling~~ (and because there aren't any IKEAs where you can cheaply acquire these). My back isn't happy.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

thebigcow posted:

Stop whatever you're doing and drag the desk to where you want it.

Yeah apparently this is the correct answer. I texted my boss and he said on his way out the building he talked to the 'building manager' (she's basically the CEO's personal assistant) who said I was ok to use it. Thanks for getting my blood pressure up in the interim!

Still going to get that doctor's note.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

stubblyhead posted:

Why the hell does the form ask for a date if I still have to call them 30 years from now to get my money?
In a 30 year period you might move, switch banks, have other life changing events.

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids

AlternateAccount posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake, please briskly walk to the nearest incinerator and throw yourself into it.

The final libertarian solution: you can freely-associate yourself into the incinerator.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Sirotan posted:

I've been here almost 5 years, I figured even if they had to buy me one outright, $800 shouldn't be a ridiculous cost to keep me happy. lol it's me, I'm the moron

A sit/stand desk with electric raise/lower function is less than $500 at Ikea:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S19022530/

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

KozmoNaut posted:

A sit/stand desk with electric raise/lower function is less than $500 at Ikea:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S19022530/

Awesome, thanks. That one did not pop up in my various searches.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
I need a powered-lift desk that will work properly with this chair:

Yes, one that lowers and then flips over so I can work from underneath.

Never mind the snoring... it's the years of toner exposure.

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.
I WANT one of those now. Where I work, there is a lot of getting under desks and crap to pull cables or just cable management to make it look nice. Plus I can make all the camera guys jealous of my new toy.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Sirotan posted:

We recently got something similar to this which instead uses a very smooth mechanical crank to raise/lower the desk at will and it's loving boss. We have a document assembling area with tables lower than waist height, our head of health & safety was going bonkers at management about people getting bad backs from having to use poo poo tables, and they finally caved and approved this adjustable table for about £500.

And for the love of god don't pass up a doctor's note, my wife is currently on leave for work related stress and she wanted to blow it off; the doctor pretty much told her "I'm giving you a minimum of two weeks at home, you are not to go back into work under any circumstance and that's an order"

It's worked wonders for her.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA
Everybody in our company has electric raise/lower desks, and these recent posts have reminded me that I should stand and work more.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Chalets the Baka posted:

The final libertarian solution: you can freely-associate yourself into the incinerator.

Of course, that's why I asked him to do it, since it has to be voluntary :V

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Sirotan posted:

Put it his way to the bean counters at your place of employment: 800$ < $EMPLOYEE_COMPENSATION