Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

Laptop talk, here's what I need:
1. Quiet
2. FAST
3. USB 3.0 ports
4. QUIET
5. Affordable.

What are we looking at price wise for a Dell business or Lenovo X series? Can I get that with the SSD pre installed or is it cheaper to do myself?

Wheel noise chat: Looks like I'm missing all the wheel weights on that back wheel. Gonna swap the winters over and see if I have the sound.

What price is 'Affordable' for you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
$1000-$1500. I'm not gaming, I watch HD video on occasion but I have no need for super graphic performance.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

$1000-$1500. I'm not gaming, I watch HD video on occasion but I have no need for super graphic performance.

Lenovo Y50

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8992871&CatId=3998

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

You're a moron. Not a X or T series.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Hey Phone, do you guys need another person to turn wrenches with on that SC300? I'm demotivated to work on my 240SX, but I wouldn't mind working on something else.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Rhyno posted:

If you don't want to do anything with gaming or 3d cad software you can get a 3540 for like $800. Just get the max specced one. Replace the 500 gb drive with a 256 ssd for like $100 or so. It's built pretty decently. I've taken it on a few trips including a desert and it coped just fine.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Anphear posted:

The coffee is terrible. I literally put up with caffeine withdrawal headaches for 3 days to not drink this poo poo.

You are going to the wrong places. The US is pretty much dominating 3rd wave coffee right now. There's a whole coffee thread in gws that cab help.
That said, flat whites are milky as hell.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Phone posted:

You're a moron. Not a X or T series.

Fair enough:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3579352&CatId=7001
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8798044&CatId=4939

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Lots of my co-workers have these:

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/x-series/x1-carbon/

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

$2k to get the one with 8GB RAM... Can you replace the memory on these? Or is it soldered like the macbooks?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Raluek posted:

$2k to get the one with 8GB RAM... Can you replace the memory on these? Or is it soldered like the macbooks?

It's soldered :v: Everybody here just orders the 8GB ones so I guess this never came up.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Pham Nuwen posted:

It's soldered :v: Everybody here just orders the 8GB ones so I guess this never came up.

So looks like getting the actual good version (8GB RAM, 256GB SSD) puts it out of Rhyno's price range.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

This might be heresy to you IT nerds but Rhyno could also get an ultrabook. I had largely the same needs as Rhyno (plus I wasn't too keen on lugging around a huge, heavy laptop) so I bought a Yoga 2 Pro, and I couldn't be happier with it, to be honest.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
You don't need 8GB of ram to post on SA.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah, you need 16GB (if you use firefox or chrome, anyways.)

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

kastein posted:

Yeah, you need 16GB (if you use firefox or chrome, anyways.)

Seriously. I have 8GB in my desktop, and it sits at ~75% capacity just diddling around on the internet. God help me if I run a VM.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I only use the most secretive, streamlined browser that uses no memory but it also has all the features of Chrome and Firefox and more. You've probably never heard of it. I usually control it using my phone tethered to my microwave over a DOCSIS LAN WRT 3.58 version Alpha Rho Wireless Boondoggle Unit.

This is what I read when some people talk tech in this thread I swear.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Surely if internet explorer wasn't the best it wouldn't be what comes with the computer right?
:downs:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Viggen posted:

and peatmimp was getting cucked.

Ahaha, hilarious, viggen. You know, I have intentionally not replied to any of your lovely posts and have refrained from even mentioning you since the last probation fest. However, you keep bringing me up. This time you do it with an awesomely current hivemind meme, so kudos for that.

You're probably better off with sticking to hivemind regurgitation, because unlike your brain, the hivemind actually functions. Please keep me out of your posts until your next medication-fueled crazy train derail. Kthxbai.

In other news, who cares, new bike day! YOLO SWAG:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Could you two just gently caress already and get it over with? Jesus.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Nice, that will probably be my next road bike. Want to buy a race wheelset and maybe a few other things for my caad 9 and ride that another year or two though. Speaking of bikes, I got a cross bike last month and had a fairly ok race last night. Not entirely sure where I finished but I think around 10th, which is better than the last two.

jamal fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 23, 2014

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Raluek posted:

Seriously. I have 8GB in my desktop, and it sits at ~75% capacity just diddling around on the internet. God help me if I run a VM.

And yet somehow ChromeOS (Linux with a Chrome UI), runs perfectly well on Chromebooks that max out at 4GB. Odds are that most of the memory usage shown on your desktop is used for disk caching and buffers.

For instance, I have 16GB in my desktop. Currently, it's showing 15.8GB "in use". But after splitting out the numbers, only 3.4GB is in use by applications. The rest is OS-level cache and buffers, and thus actually free.

Also, Firefox and Chrome do some caching in RAM, which can artificially inflate their memory usage statistics. In my case, they inflate it a lot, since I mirror all of my profile/cache directories to a RAM disk for performance and to reducing wear on my SSD.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 23, 2014

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
I use a Dell Latitude 820 from like 2006 or so running Ubuntu with 1GB ram and a 40GB hard drive. It's got a 2GHz Core 2 Duo processor, which seems to be enough for my typical use. I got it for the low price of $free, so I can't complain. It works fine for dicking around on SA and watching dumb poo poo on YouTube, which is like 90% of my home use, so I can't be bothered to get anything better. The one thing I have considered is upgrading to 4GB ram, but that would cost infinitely more than the computer itself, so I have a hard time justifying it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

bandman posted:

I use a Dell Latitude 820 from like 2006 or so running Ubuntu with 1GB ram and a 40GB hard drive. It's got a 2GHz Core 2 Duo processor, which seems to be enough for my typical use. I got it for the low price of $free, so I can't complain. It works fine for dicking around on SA and watching dumb poo poo on YouTube, which is like 90% of my home use, so I can't be bothered to get anything better. The one thing I have considered is upgrading to 4GB ram, but that would cost infinitely more than the computer itself, so I have a hard time justifying it.

Just do it. RAM is cheap and the benefits are noticeable, if not world-shaking.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

KozmoNaut posted:

Also, Firefox and Chrome do some caching in RAM, which can artificially inflate their memory usage statistics. In my case, they inflate it a lot, since I mirror all of my profile/cache directories to a RAM disk for performance and to reducing wear on my SSD.
Their memory management scheme is also best described as kleptomaniac and whoever wrote them ought to be shot.

Seriously, tabs in chrome that I haven't actually done anything other than scroll up and down (reference data I keep open while working) will be consuming 500+MB after a week or two. Closing them and reopening results in this dropping by an order of magnitude.

Programmers just really really suck at memory management, and unfortunately us computer engineers keep enabling them by giving them more.

If you do the same thing in firefox eventually the whole browser hits 3GB (which is a magic number because firefox for windows is only released as a 32 bit app, and WoW64 processes get a 3/1 split memory map these days) and it can't allocate any more, so it just barfs everywhere. Not kidding, poo poo just stops rendering properly, black boxes appear in strange spots, corrupted data from pages long closed shows up where something else should, fonts suddenly go monospaced, etc. It's pathetic to see and tells me that whoever wrote the code responsible for it had no idea what this strange thing known as a "return value" from malloc() is, and why it being -1 means something.

e: before people say "well don't do that" - I'm sorry, it's a valid loving use case, and pushing usage to the extremes is how you find the bugs that normal users will be annoyed by every few weeks much faster than that. If they just checked their return values and handled it gracefully I'd have no complaint, but I spent 3 years of my life finding this kind of bug professionally and harping on retarded software developers to fix their lovely code, so it really annoys me to see it in production releases of software.

kastein fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 23, 2014

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

meatpimp posted:

Ahaha, hilarious, viggen. You know, I have intentionally not replied to any of your lovely posts and have refrained from even mentioning you since the last probation fest. However, you keep bringing me up. This time you do it with an awesomely current hivemind meme, so kudos for that.

You're probably better off with sticking to hivemind regurgitation, because unlike your brain, the hivemind actually functions. Please keep me out of your posts until your next medication-fueled crazy train derail. Kthxbai.

In other news, who cares, new bike day! YOLO SWAG:

Save up and buy a car you fucker!

Seriously, sexy piece of hardware you have there.

I'm so excited to cycle SF.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

kastein posted:

If you do the same thing in firefox eventually the whole browser hits 3GB (which is a magic number because firefox for windows is only released as a 32 bit app, and WoW64 processes get a 3/1 split memory map these days) and it can't allocate any more, so it just barfs everywhere. Not kidding, poo poo just stops rendering properly, black boxes appear in strange spots, corrupted data from pages long closed shows up where something else should, fonts suddenly go monospaced, etc. It's pathetic to see and tells me that whoever wrote the code responsible for it had no idea what this strange thing known as a "return value" from malloc() is, and why it being -1 means something.

I have literally never seen that happening, and I consider myself a heavy tab abuser. Like "I never have less than 10 tabs open, ever" usage, with javascript/plugin-heavy interactive sites.

On the other hand, I have Chrome barf on my old Thinkpad T42 with 1.5GB ram and a 1.7GHz Pentium-M. Chrome really doesn't like single-core low-memory hardware, and it starts by clearing tabs from memory so they take 5-10 seconds to switch to. I've had it give up completely sometimes and just render a grey/white grid instead of the actual pages.

It actually happens on my work laptop as well, but that thing is loaded down with a metric shitton of corporate crap, so everything runs slow as molasses on it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I'm the fucker that carries a 10 lb Dell M6800 Precision, netbooks and ultralights go home.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

I'm the fucker that carries a 10 lb Dell M6800 Precision, netbooks and ultralights go home.

Says the dude that shipped me a netbook.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Plumbing companies around here love hiring smoking hot female apprentices god drat son. I love girls in hardhats.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

jamal posted:

Nice, that will probably be my next road bike. Want to buy a race wheelset and maybe a few other things for my caad 9 and ride that another year or two though. Speaking of bikes, I got a cross bike last month and had a fairly ok race last night. Not entirely sure where I finished but I think around 10th, which is better than the last two.

It should be your next road bike. I've never had a ride like this bike. I thought I had the Chinarello dialed in, but I jumped on this evo and yeah, I have some adjustments to make, but I had one of the best "feeling" rides I've had, even recognizing there will be some coloring of the experience with the fact that it's the new thing.

Cross bikes are great. I just got mine out last week, but felt the 35mm tires, big time.

cursedshitbox posted:

Seriously, sexy piece of hardware you have there.

I'm so excited to cycle SF.

My uncle lives in Oakland. I rode with him in Ohio a couple months back and he kicked my rear end in, in a cold-blooded fashion. Hills make you a good rider.

CommieGIR posted:

Alienware M17x R4 here. Complete desktop replacement, and can run games. 32gb of ram? Seriously? Why?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I wanna build a cross bike next. Something I can beat the poo poo out of on all terrains. as for hills? I loooove hills. Flats are fun too. but the hills are GREAT.

Commie had an Alienware. I'm shitposting from it right now.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Man, my computer is about eight years old (at least the motherboard, processor and RAM are). I just don't have a reason to get something smaller since my phone works fine.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

Commie had an Alienware. I'm shitposting from it right now.

cursedshitbox posted:

Says the dude that shipped me a netbook.

To be fair, its far from a normal netbook, being a miniature gaming machine and all. I shipped him a M11x R2

meatpimp posted:

Alienware M17x R4 here. Complete desktop replacement, and can run games. 32gb of ram? Seriously? Why?

MatLab, CAD/CAM stuff, programming, Virtualization, etc. The machine was my bonus for a job well done for one of my contracted companies.

....oh, and Kerbal Space Program.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Oct 23, 2014

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

CommieGIR posted:

MatLab, CAD/CAM stuff, programming, Virtualization, etc. The machine was my bonus for a job well done for one of my contracted companies.

....oh, and Kerbal Space Program.

I was making fun of my own system that has way too much ram. Kerbal is super interesting, but I know if I get my son into it, I'll never see him again. He's currently waist-deep in Civ V and I'm worried about the new Civ in space.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

meatpimp posted:

I was making fun of my own system that has way too much ram. Kerbal is super interesting, but I know if I get my son into it, I'll never see him again. He's currently waist-deep in Civ V and I'm worried about the new Civ in space.

Dude tell me about it. My spouse has been playing Civ V till 3 am, then waking up at 8 for work irritable as gently caress.

Bitch is gonna get a boot in his rear end if he doesn't cut the poo poo.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

cursedshitbox posted:

I wanna build a cross bike next. Something I can beat the poo poo out of on all terrains. as for hills? I loooove hills. Flats are fun too. but the hills are GREAT.

The cx bike is great, but I need to convert it to tubeless tires (and maybe get a set of tubulars for racing). Besides the lack of traction and lovely braking, I'm pretty much constantly trying to avoid hitting anything hard enough to get a pinch flat, and it still happens pretty often.

Also want to go single ring with a wide range cassette because the 36/46 rings and 11-25 cassette is pretty narrow.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

cursedshitbox posted:

Dude tell me about it. My spouse has been playing Civ V till 3 am, then waking up at 8 for work irritable as gently caress.

Sounds like another friend of mine. When a new game comes out, he get's all cracked out on it for a couple weeks then they resume normal relations. Your names don't both happen to be Kevin are they?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
So it'll be like my KLR. Awesome!

Thanks for the tip on the gearing.

E: I'll probably be looking for a LBS for a dayjob once I'm up there as well. Something to fund beers more or less.

Keykey: Nope. I'm Sedat. He's David.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Since we seem to be doing NerdChat, any of you guys try alternate shell options for Windows 7? I'm currently using Emerge and it's super slick and actually pretty easy to tweak and adjust. Back when I had XP I had bbLean installed but it was a complete pain in the rear end to edit and dress up since it was basically CSS editing at points.

• Locked thread