Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
hmm yes what is the value of this behavior that people have been familiar with for 30 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
-steve ballmer re windows 8

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

pram posted:

lusers are idiotic peasant scum and they deserve nothing less than death

Finally, someone understands the GNOME 3 design goal.

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~
you would think linux users would be the first ones to rally around a linux-focused project that made a real, honest attempt at fixing these problems

"you're taking the power away from users" "this breaks my workflow" "its garbage kill yourselves" etc

lol ok

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

Suspicious Dish posted:

Finally, someone understands the GNOME 3 design goal.

unironically agree

people will adapt, you just have to be the change you want to be, don't worry about the "power users" because people will eventually see how your way is better

how can you move forward if you coddle every idiot that whines about their ugly transparent terminals

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

i'm sorry but "hotcorners are bad and i have to move my mouse a little more than i'm used to" is not the UX breaker that "one button has multiple behaviors and we just tolerate it because thats what users expect lol"

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

yospos really needs a UI discussion thread because these problems are in no way specific to linux

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

oval office AND PASTE posted:

the mystery of the window controls

what is supposed to happen when you click the minimize button on a window?

should the window minimize to the taskbar?
should the window minimize to the notification area?

what is supposed to happen when you click the close button on a window?

should the program terminate?
should it minimize to the taskbar?
should it hide in the notification area?
or are you really closing the abstraction of something (a settings control page) without actually terminating the program (a system daemon, say, antivirus)?

whatever, it's just easier to call people "computer illiterate" when they ask these questions

this but mac OSX

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

for real i had to do an assignment on a mac once and I couldnt understand why it didnt terminate when I pressed the red x in teh corner of the window

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

bobbilljim posted:

for real i had to do an assignment on a mac once and I couldnt understand why it didnt terminate when I pressed the red x in teh corner of the window

:siren: ~my workflow~ :siren:

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
maybe the next time you break the desktop paradigm try replacing it with something better rather than just breaking it because it's old.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

here's a hint, unless you are designing an interface for a device called "iPad" or falls into the category of "phone" it shouldn't ape those interfaces for no loving reason. no one wants or uses touch screens

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

here's a fun tip:

In xfce there is no way to turn off the "hold down shift to enable slow keys" functionality. Also the idiot accessibility menu wont even notice that slow keys are on, so you have to enable it and then disable it to actually disable it.

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

ZShakespeare posted:

here's a hint, unless you are designing an interface for a device called "iPad" or falls into the category of "phone" it shouldn't ape those interfaces for no loving reason. no one wants or uses touch screens

cool, i don't know what you're railing about but it certainly isn't gnome 3

ZShakespeare posted:

maybe the next time you break the desktop paradigm try replacing it with something better rather than just breaking it because it's old.

okay but it's already broken which i think i made pretty clear maybe you should read those posts i made

pram
Jun 10, 2001

you should read those posts i made

lmfao

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

yeah lol

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

cunty just know that you were the reason i tried gnome 3 and i love it and it has made my life better in immeasurable ways

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

see yall next week for "browser tabs are for idiot children"

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

power botton posted:

cunty just know that you were the reason i tried gnome 3 and i love it and it has made my life better in immeasurable ways

<3

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

ok thats a little too far

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lmfao if u read

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

tree-style tabs are best tabs

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

mlyp

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

you would think linux users would be the first ones to rally around a linux-focused project that [changes things]
hmm yes, we will find many people who love radical change among the users of this conservative clone of a 1960s os running a gui system from the 1980s

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
if you put a linux on your parents computer you are a dumb terrible eprson

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I bought my mom a macbook air and her needs are being suited

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

colbylol posted:

maybe we just don't patronize our parents by pushing limited walled gardens on them

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

the lie that users expect that kind of behavior because they're used to it is false

sit any user down at windows, osx, kde, cinnamon, xfce.. they will be equally confused

not even you actually believe this

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Soricidus posted:

hmm yes, we will find many people who love radical change among the users of this conservative clone of a 1960s os running a gui system from the 1980s

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

don't believe it either but you gotta admit there are some really confused people out there in the world

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

colbylol posted:

Lol if you don't.

All i had to do for my parents to think Linux was amazing was set the web browser to start on sign in. When support expires for 12.04 they can buy a chromebox. Pretty much the same thing to them.

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

have you never shown your mother or a grandparent a computer and had to answer questions like "now where did this go"

no one has ever whipped out a notebook and written down literally everything you did as you did it

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

nevermind, we all know you haven't left the basement to visit family in years

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

i bet notorious bad forces them to use the command line and sets up a shared tmux session for support

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

have you never shown your mother or a grandparent a computer and had to answer questions like "now where did this go"

no one has ever whipped out a notebook and written down literally everything you did as you did it

my grandfather used linux on the desktop in his late 80s, circa 2000? 2001?

it still had a start menu and a web browser with a familiar icon and the email client he had been using since time immemorial (netscape mail) and the same fuckin minimize maximize close buttons he had been dealing with since windows 2.1 (not a typo, he bought a PC with windows 2)

it may surprise you that retraining costs are minimized when you don't go out of your way to defy every user expectation

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 24, 2014

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

yosemite autocorrected notorious BSD to something more appropriate

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

power botton posted:

yosemite autocorrected notorious BSD to something more appropriate

please specify

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

power botton posted:

i bet notorious bad

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

please specify

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
since when did windows 2 have a close box on the title bar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

med school head
Apr 17, 2012

keyvin posted:

Lol if you don't.

All i had to do for my parents to think Linux was amazing was set the web browser to start on sign in. When support expires for 12.04 they can buy a chromebox. Pretty much the same thing to them.

please soruce your quotes